The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Several monarchies have done away with bowing. Sweden basically has. The exception being to foreign monarchs. Notice both Haakon and Mary bowed/curtseyed to the king and queen. If any foreign heads of state had been in attendance, Victoria and her siblings would have bowed.

With Mary and Haakon it was more their custom that they bowed. Silvia and CG would not expect them to. It likely seems a foreign concept to Mary who has to bow her own mother and father in law, not to bow to a foreign.
Bowing to royals remains standard practice in the UK, Denmark and Spain. Belgium and the Netherlands have basically done away with it. In Sweden, bowing is rare, but it happens sometimes. The Court staff for example still seems to bow frequently.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet had a little different kind of article about Oscar, the archbishop mentioned Zlatan at her speech.
There were Kings at the church - king Sudden (ice hockey star Mats Sundin), king Foppa (ice hockey star Peter Forsberg), His Majesty (king Carl Gustaf) and "Hans Majestät", the king of bandy (His Majesty/Hans Majesty, the godfather Hans Åström).
And Oscar has a father who was a personal trainer - to his mother. And Oscar has a grandfather, who loves sports.
The archbishop spoke about Zlatan. The idea she obviously got from Princess Estelle. It obviously was she who in preparation for baptism in the Royal Chapel mentioned Zlatan's name (the archbishop didn't want to confirm that to the press).
And the Archbishop suddenly saw in front of her, Prince Oscar as 6-8-year-old, on the football field, in too large a shirt with the name of Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the back. In search of the ball.
And Aftonbladet's reporter writes that because Oscar is not the heir to the throne and hardly becomes king, perhaps he becomes a king at the football field.
Kung Zla..., förlåt, prins Oscar, en dag kanske du får bli kung i alla fall – på fotbollsplanen _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Svärföräldrarna kommer bra överens _ Hovbloggen
Gästerna på prins Oscars dop _ Hovbloggen
Morfars kärlek när Oscar fick serafimerorden _ Hovbloggen
Barn och bus under prins Oscars dop _ Hovbloggen
Prins Oscars dop – alla fina ögonblick _ Hovbloggen

Old 05-28-2016, 04:08 AM
Commoner

When all the other royal children were christened they were carried in on a cushion (or a pillow), why is this not the case with Estelle or Oscar? No cushion/pillow for him or Estelle? It was seen as Nicolas' christening.

When Carl Philip and Madeleine were christened the christening gown had long sleeves but they haven't been seen since 1982.

But nice to see the same cradle used like at Madeleine's, Leonore's and Nicolas' christening. Too bad not a shot of all the little kids around the cradle like at Madeleine's in 1982
Old 05-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Commoner

I was hoping to see Estelle in Victoria's old dress she wore to Madeleine's christening. It was white a blue, like her cousins wore white and blue today and would have been a hand-down dress. I love that dress of Victoria's it was so pretty.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Courtier

I finally watched the christening. Very charming. Thanks everyone for the photos and information!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm hoping to see more photos from the reception, here is one
https://img0.tv4cdn.se/convert?resiz...chments%2F2615

Gallery
Bautizo de Oscar de Suecia_ Galería en Bekia
From PurePeople
Baptême d'Oscar de Suède _ L'adorable prince aux anges dans les bras de Victoria
Baptême d'Oscar de Suède _ Madeleine, marraine divine parmi les têtes couronnées
Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Nobility

I finally watched a recording of the service. It was lovely. The kids had their moments (Estelle "blessing" the holy water, Leonore running around - and I'm glad she was okay when she fell out of the chair - Nicholas with his light up toothbrush). I'm still confused with the protocol. CP, Sofia & Chris did not bow to the altar, like Victoria and Daniel did; no bow or curtsy to Haakon & Mary, who outrank the Prince Couple as the crown prince of Norway and the crown princess of Denmark (no courtesy bow from non royal Chris). Chris bowed his head when CG and Silvia walked pass, nothing from CP & Sofia. During CG's 70th birthday Victoria curtsied to the former king and queen of Spain.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I finally watched a recording of the service. It was lovely. The kids had their moments (Estelle "blessing" the holy water, Leonore running around - and I'm glad she was okay when she fell out of the chair - Nicholas with his light up toothbrush). I'm still confused with the protocol. CP, Sofia & Chris did not bow to the altar, like Victoria and Daniel did; no bow or curtsy to Haakon & Mary, who outrank the Prince Couple as the crown prince of Norway and the crown princess of Denmark (no courtesy bow from non royal Chris). Chris bowed his head when CG and Silvia walked pass, nothing from CP & Sofia. During CG's 70th birthday Victoria curtsied to the former king and queen of Spain.
Princes/princesses only bow/curtsy to kings/queens (if they bow/curtsy at all).
And royals bow/curtsy only when they are greeting kings/queens. Obviously SRF saw each other before the service, so they didn't greet the king and queen inside the church.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:52 AM
Serene Highness

I never saw someone curtsy to King Willem Alexander or Queen Maxima of the Netheerlands
Old 05-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
I never saw someone curtsy to King Willem Alexander or Queen Maxima of the Netheerlands
Dutch royals doesn't practise bow/curtsy things
Old 05-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Victoria and Daniel bowed to the altar and to the honorary guests at the both sides also at Estelle's christening, like yesterday. Victoria and Daniel bowed to the altar at Nicolas's christening. Daniel arrived to Leonore's christening together with Carl Philip and Eva O'Neill (Victoria was the godmother). Daniel bowed to the altar. Victoria and Daniel want to show their respect to the church by bowing to the altar, they have chosen to do so and it suits them.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Dutch royals doesn't practise bow/curtsy things

Still they are curtseyed by foreign princesses (and indeed by members of their courts) abroad! We could see that when WA and Maxima did their Introduction visits or at Carl Philips wedding.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Way of topic, but it is a nice pic:
P.Mary curtsies Q.Maxima
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
CP and Madeleine are HRHs like Haakon and Mary, so they are not supposed to bow to them. HRHs only bow to Kings. regnant Queens, Queen consorts, dowager Queens, or former monarchs upon abdication.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/4...ada-espana.jpg
Queen Letizia (then princess) curtsy to Queen Maxima
Old 05-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Serene Highness

But in Holland no one bows or curtsys to King and Queen
Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel's and Victoria's friends Niklas and Anna Ek at the reception
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF7R74Lm...en-by=niklasek

Flowers at the Chapel, beautiful
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF63idNv...y=blomsterfrid

Photos
Stor glädje på prins Oscars dop _ Stoppa Pressarna
Stjärnspäckat mingel på prinsdopet _ Stoppa Pressarna
Old 05-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I noticed that too and was also struck by how, as he gets older, Nicolas resembles Leonore.

Isn't he turining into a cute little man? From the photos Nicolas looked different from his sis, but seeing him in a video it's quite clear he shares some features with Leo, especially around the eyes...
Old 05-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Can we keep this thread on topic and for those who wish to discuss Bowing and Curtseying please use thread below.

Bowing and Curtseying
Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Nobility

Any more pictures of the reception?