A Boy for Victoria and Daniel - Oscar Carl Olof, Duke of Skåne: March 2, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like JR76 said, it's optional for a couple to chose what surname they want when they get married. They can take her or his name. They can also take (under certain restrictions) an older family name, or make up one that's entirely new for their new family unit.

If a couple that lives together but aren't married (very common here in Sweden), their children automatically gets the mothers surname, unless they make a formal request to Skatteverket (IRS) that the child should be registered with his/her fathers surname.

Oscar has been an extremely popular first and middle name for the Bernadottes.

-CG's grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustaf Adolf, was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Skane
-CG's great-grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustav V he was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Varmland
-Charles IV (older brother of Oscar II) his only son was Carl Oscar
-Oscar I and II of Sweden
-Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (son of Oscar II) first Count of Wisborg
-his grandson Oscar pictured in post above
-Oscar Magnuson pictured above

CG is one of 2 crown princes in the Bernadotte line not to have Oscar, the other being Charles IV.

those who include it as a middle name:
-the king' s father had it as a third name
-Bertil also had it as a middle name
-Prince Carl Bernadotte son of Carl, Duke of Vastergotland

Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes ! ;)

Last edited:
Lärarförbundet (The Swedish Teachers Union) congratulates Victoria and Daniel:
Considering Daniel's earlier statement, we hope of course that Oscar is prospective teacher. Quote from the opening of school in Ockelbo February 16th. (from Daniel's speech).
"You teachers are society's most important resource. You have no easy task, but it is crucial for an individual and the development of the society".
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCfyOgOiliG/?taken-by=lararforbundet

A lots of presents will be on these days sent to prince Oscar, Ekelund Weavers sent ecologial blankets to him.
https://www.facebook.com/ekelundwea...587022152867/1730195240525377/?type=3&theater

And here we have a Prince Cake (a version of Princess Cake with blue marzipan)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiCdSTFpxo/?taken-by=tossemattias&hl=fi

Last edited:
Can't wait to see photos :wub:
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.

Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. :ohmy: It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy:eek:

Can't wait to see photos :wub:
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.

It was mainly a media-thing and a few people who cried out in the tabloids that Estelle wasn't a history name that they could hold history-lessons about. A huge majority of the Swedish people loved the name and many of those who were critical like historian Herman Lindqvist for example is silent today.

I don't think Victoria and Daniel care at all about other peoples opinions about the names of their children and they shouldn't.

Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes ! ;)

:ermm: That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.

Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. :ohmy: It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy:eek:

The Court has denied that the photo is of little Oscar.

:ermm: That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.

What i meant is that their spoken name were always Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf. It is easy to check this.

You are right that their first name was Oscar but they were never called Prince Oscar.

Expressen writes that the fake photo is spreading at the social media, among them at a fake Facebook account claimed to be Madeleine's. At the photo it is claimed that it comes from an Instagram account of Daniel's sister. But despite the fact that the profile on Facebook is fake congratulations for the picture and even comments are pouring in.
The creator of the account on Facebook has, according to Expressen's research, made it from an address in Sollentuna outside Stockholm. Several people have also contacted Expressen to ask if it is the first official picture of Prince Oscar.
But the court denied that the photo that is now spread on social media, is Prince Oscar:
- No, that's not true, says Ulrika Näsholm from the press department.
The court has now no information on when the official photo of the prince will be published.
Falsk bild sprids på prins Oscar på Facebook _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Magdalena, Sofía o Estelle_ sus looks de la celebración del nacimiento de Oscar. Noticias de Casas Reales
Stolt storesøster stjal showet… _ Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Estellen söpö pinkki käsilaukku on tuliainen Tansaniasta

Last edited:
Found this on twitter.. according to Bunte the official photo is due this weekend
Stefan Blatt ‏@SBlatt_BUNTE

Nach BUNTE-Informationen wird der Hof am Wochenende ein Echt-Bild von Prinz Oscar veröffentlichen. Wird freuen uns!

According to BUNTE's information, the Court will publish a real picture of Prince Oscar weekend. Will be pleased to us!

This may be true in some countries, but it's not true in Sweden, the parents choose which name will be the child's given name. It can be the first, second, third, fourth or xth name. If it was true that the first name is the name a child was born with, then the three oldest sons of Oscar II would have been Oscar, as all three had it first in their names, but the first was Gustaf, the second Oscar and the third Carl. (Son number four didn't had Oscar anywhere among his names.) There have been several members of the SRF where the given name (or what you refer to as first name) have been the second (or even the fifth and sixth) among the names they have received at birth.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Reactions: eya
This may be true in some countries, but it's not true in Sweden, the parents choose which name will be the child's given name. It can be the first, second, third, fourth or xth name. If it was true that the first name is the name a child was born with, then the three oldest sons of Oscar II would have been Oscar, as all three had it first in their names, but the first was Gustaf, the second Oscar and the third Carl. (Son number four didn't had Oscar anywhere among his names.) There have been several members of the SRF where the given name (or what you refer to as first name) have been the second (or even the fifth and sixth) among the names they have received at birth.

Is this the case with all people in Sweden or just members of the Royal Family?

I really, really, really wish I didn't click on that link and seen that scrumptious delicacy. Its beautiful to look at and I bet tastes even better.

Now I need to find something sweet to eat. :D

I know! It's only breakfast time here, and far too early to be thinking of eating that lucious cake, but now it will be on my mind all day. :D

Didn't realise it was something special to have multiple names and be referred to by another one than the first... in my family (NL, and very much not royal) this happens regularly...

First of all: very happy for the Swedish Royal Family. The arrival of a new baby is truly reason to celebrate. And, although I highly doubt it will reach them: Congratulations, Your Royal Highnesses! :flowers:

It's quite common in Europe. We even have words to describe the name we are called on a daily basis. Rufname, roepnaam ("call name"), prénom usuel, and, I guess, tilltalsnamn is the Swedish equivalent (Swedish speakers, please correct me, I made an assumption, as I don't speak Swedish).
The "call name" can be the first, second, third, fourth,... given name. We don't use the "first name", "middle name" concept. For example, my grandmother and I both go by our second given name, the other name(s) are only used when dealing with the authorities.

Didn't realise it was something special to have multiple names and be referred to by another one than the first... in my family (NL, and very much not royal) this happens regularly...
Yep, Germany, too.

best wishes Michiru

:previous: Thank you both. :flowers: Another interesting cultural difference.

You can't make that comparison. Just because your first name is XX doesn't mean you automatically go by XX. CG's father, Prince Gustaf Adolf, may have been given Gustaf Adolf as his first name(s) but in the family, he always went by Edmund. Gustaf V and Gustaf VI Adolf may have been given Oscar as their first names but that doesn't mean that was their given names, the names they essentially went by.

Heavens. Many in my family are called their entire life by a "nickname". Birth name is only used on official documents. Nothing wrong with this custom

:previous: Thank you both. :flowers: Another interesting cultural difference.

You do see it in "English" culture (for lack of a better word) as well, although it's rare. My grandmother (of a very Scottish ancestry, but from a very Canadian family) has 3 "given" names and has always gone by her second name (which is entertaining at times... Her ID/medical cards/etc all have a different variation of her name on it.

:previous: Oh, yes, there are always exceptions. Some people don't like their first name and choose to be known by their middle name, or the family given them a nickname when they're young and they are known by that name, but in general people are known from birth by their first name and they continue to use it because a lot of thought went into choosing that name for them. The second name tends to be a name in honour of a friend or family member and not intended to be the name by which the person is known.

You can't make that comparison. Just because your first name is XX doesn't mean you automatically go by XX. CG's father, Prince Gustaf Adolf, may have been given Gustaf Adolf as his first name(s) but in the family, he always went by Edmund. Gustaf V and Gustaf VI Adolf may have been given Oscar as their first names but that doesn't mean that was their given names, the names they essentially went by.

Any name that is not your family name (last) is a 'given' name. Given simply means chosen for you. It doesn't refer to the order of the name. My father has spent his entire life going by his middle name and there is nothing wrong with that. But on legal documents he still signs his first name. I never once said that either king went by Oscar, please point me to where I did. Simply that Oscar was their legal first name. Who knows, new little Oscar may choose to go by Carl or Olof when older.

First of all: very happy for the Swedish Royal Family. The arrival of a new baby is truly reason to celebrate. And, although I highly doubt it will reach them: Congratulations, Your Royal Highnesses! :flowers:

It's quite common in Europe. We even have words to describe the name we are called on a daily basis. Rufname, roepnaam ("call name"), prénom usuel, and, I guess, tilltalsnamn is the Swedish equivalent (Swedish speakers, please correct me, I made an assumption, as I don't speak Swedish).

The "call name" can be the first, second, third, fourth,... given name. We don't use the "first name", "middle name" concept. For example, my grandmother and I both go by our second given name, the other name(s) are only used when dealing with the authorities.

Yep, Germany, too.

best wishes Michiru

Yes "tilltalsnamn" is exactly what we call it in Sweden. I for one have three names but the last of these three is my legal name and the one that comes up everywhere- at the doctors, on my debit card, at work etc...

Rhetoric expert Elaine Eksvärd is impressed by Prince Daniel's way of communicating.
Sweden got a new prince. Prince Daniel met Swedish journalists gathered at the press conference after the birth, and answered questions.
Elaine Eksvärd is author and lecturer who specializes in rhetoric and communication. She says that Prince Daniel handled the large press conference very well.
- He's very charming. He was very human, and fun, she says.
Eksvärd thought that Daniel has found his feet and was a bit calmer than the last time.
- It's so much fun that he is still himself.
She is less pleased with how the journalists behaved.
- They broke off when he spoke. I would have liked to hear more about the woman who have primeval force. Instead they asked the questions like that he cut the umbilical cord or what it feels like to be the father of two.
She believes that the way Daniel responds to the press will continue to generate good PR for the court.
- They become human and it is always popular. It will be a high recognition factor and the royal family is not so far away. People like that.
There is a big difference between how the royal family presented births before and how Victoria and Daniel do it now. But Eksvärd doesn't believe that it is a deliberate strategy.
- I believe that they just are like that. They are social geniuses, after all they are on mission all the time in Sweden and abroad. The more you meet, the more you can talk to.
Prince Daniel came in second place when Resumé appointed super communicators last year. Was it deserved?
- Absolutely. He keeps good speeches, he is active and he makes his voice heard.
Retorikexperten_ Så bra var Prins Daniels presskonferens

Any name that is not your family name (last) is a 'given' name. Given simply means chosen for you. It doesn't refer to the order of the name. My father has spent his entire life going by his middle name and there is nothing wrong with that. But on legal documents he still signs his first name. I never once said that either king went by Oscar, please point me to where I did. Simply that Oscar was their legal first name. Who knows, new little Oscar may choose to go by Carl or Olof when older.
No, Oscar was first among their given names, but it was not their legal first name according to Swedish name rules, their legal first name was the name their parents choose as the legal name, regardless where that name were among the names given to the child. The Swedish tilltalsnamn is a person's legal name, and it doesn't have to be the first among the names. The little prince have got Oscar as his tilltalsnamn, and that is the name he always will have to use when signing his name on legal documents. If he wants to choose to have Carl or Olof as his "legal name" he will have to send an application to the Swedish Tax Agency (who administers the Swedish Population Register) that he wants to change his tilltalsnamn, the name by which he is known in legal registers here.
Prince Gustaf Adolf's "legal"/tilltalsnamn officially in the Swedish Population Register was Gustaf Adolf, and that he was known within the family (and among friends) as Edmund, which was one of his other given names, doesn't change his tilltalsnamn, but he would have had to sign his name officially as Gustaf Adolf.

Many Swedes have two or three given names (förnamn = first names), and one of those names are their calling name (tilltalsnamn). Usually all given names + surname are written on identity cards and the calling name/legal given name is written in bold. If Gustaf VI Adolf was to have an id-card, his name would have been written as: Oscar Fredrik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolf.

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - Daniel did do a good job at the hospital press conference. To me it shows that Victoria made a good call in choosing a consort, not only for herself and for Sweden.

What I have learnt, don't know how accurate it is though, is that the names are placed in the order with the shortest one first. It is not the shortest one counted in letters, but syllables. This means that that tilltalsnamnet (the calling name) could be any of the names in the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom