A Boy for Victoria and Daniel - Oscar Carl Olof, Duke of Skåne: March 2, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have learnt, don't know how accurate it is though, is that the names are placed in the order with the shortest one first. It is not the shortest one counted in letters, but syllables. This means that that tilltalsnamnet (the calling name) could be any of the names in the order.

Doesn't Oscar have more syllables than Carl though ? It doesn't look right then.

@Lady Finn - Daniel did do a good job at the hospital press conference. To me it shows that Victoria made a good call in choosing a consort, not only for herself and for Sweden.

I agree. I saw that video. I had no idea what he was saying, though the context was clear and we all knew the gist of what he was saying from that. He seemed very confident and in control, but he also seemed to have a good rapport with the press and seemed to have their respect.

It's usually just the order with the best rhythm. That often does means shorter name first though, especially if you just have two names - if Oscar had only had two names, he would probably have been Carl Oscar rather than Oscar Carl, just because it sounds better, at least in Swedish. And his tilltalsnamn could still have been Oscar. ;)

The tilltalsnamn thing applies to Daniel too - it annoys me when I see people write that his REAL name is Olof. Sure, Olof is his first name, but that doesn't mean anything in Sweden. His tilltalsnamn and thus so called "real name" is Daniel, it's just that his parents presumably liked the sound of Olof Daniel better than Daniel Olof.

As an Englishman living in Sweden I find it disconcerting, if not positively rude, that non-Swedes should presume to tell Swedes how they should organise the names of their children. I can give endless examples of Swedish people who use a Christian name which is not their first name - my wife is one such: Kerstin Anita Maria, always called Anita. I can give just as many examples of British people where the same applies - both my parents: Henry Frank, always called Frank, and Alexandra Patricia always called Pat (or Patsy when small). In Prince Oscar's case the important point to note is that immediately after announcing the three Christian names, HM The King added that the Prince would be called Oscar. That might strike non-Swedes as odd and unnecessary. The boy's names are Oscar Carl Olof; why wouldn't he be called Oscar? Because the King might have said that he would be called Carl, or Olof, and to Swedes that would be his "tilltalsnamn".

The Court has denied that the photo is of little Oscar.

Thank you. I had imagined it would be fake, but I was a little worried nontheless.

Expressen writes that the fake photo is spreading at the social media, among them at a fake Facebook account claimed to be Madeleine's. At the photo it is claimed that it comes from an Instagram account of Daniel's sister. But despite the fact that the profile on Facebook is fake congratulations for the picture and even comments are pouring in.
The creator of the account on Facebook has, according to Expressen's research, made it from an address in Sollentuna outside Stockholm. Several people have also contacted Expressen to ask if it is the first official picture of Prince Oscar.
But the court denied that the photo that is now spread on social media, is Prince Oscar:
- No, that's not true, says Ulrika Näsholm from the press department.
The court has now no information on when the official photo of the prince will be published.
Falsk bild sprids på prins Oscar på Facebook _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Magdalena, Sofía o Estelle_ sus looks de la celebración del nacimiento de Oscar. Noticias de Casas Reales
Stolt storesøster stjal showet… _ Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Estellen söpö pinkki käsilaukku on tuliainen Tansaniasta

The account on instagram has already taken down the pictures of the baby. Fortunately, the pic disappeared soon after the news spread. Hope other accounts follow suit.

I agree. I saw that video. I had no idea what he was saying, though the context was clear and we all knew the gist of what he was saying from that. He seemed very confident and in control, but he also seemed to have a good rapport with the press and seemed to have their respect.

I think that the swedish press and prince Daniel (along with his family) have a genuinely good relationship. He ended the press conference with giving the press credit for not disturbing the family when Estelle was born, and hoped for a repeat this time around. I think they will get it.

I also appreciated that Daniel showed respect and quick thinking when he was asked if they had talked to the king and queen. He replied: "Yes, we have talked to both of our parents". Daniel and Victoria have always been aware that their children have grandparents that are equally important although they have different roles.

It's usually just the order with the best rhythm. That often does means shorter name first though, especially if you just have two names - if Oscar had only had two names, he would probably have been Carl Oscar rather than Oscar Carl, just because it sounds better, at least in Swedish. And his tilltalsnamn could still have been Oscar. ;)

The tilltalsnamn thing applies to Daniel too - it annoys me when I see people write that his REAL name is Olof. Sure, Olof is his first name, but that doesn't mean anything in Sweden. His tilltalsnamn and thus so called "real name" is Daniel, it's just that his parents presumably liked the sound of Olof Daniel better than Daniel Olof.

"Carl Oscar" world be funny to hear for a swede

"Karl Oskar jag tyar inte längre" movie Utvandrarna 1971 maybe a line in the novel also by wilhelm moberg

Johan T Lindwll writes in Expressen that according to their information, Victoria has planned that the first photo published of Oscar will be taken by Daniel, like he did with Estelle. Many photo agencies have offered their services.
It seems also logical, that Kate Gabor will take official photos of Oscar in the future, like she has taken of Estelle since she was born.
Kronprinsessan Victorias plan för bilden på prins Oscar _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Some funny information, the last born Prince Oscar in Sweden, (the younger brother to Gustaf V), his full name was Oscar Carl August. His son was a "Carl Oscar" but his grandsons name is Oscar Carl Emanuel.
So the use of "Oscar Carl" instead of "Carl Oscar" is not new in the Swedish Royal Family.

I also think that the name combination "Carl Oscar" for such a senior royal would have sounded too much "The Emigrants" by Vilhelm Moberg, one of the most famous "anti-monarchists" ever in Sweden.

What i noticed now. Three of the four sons of King Oscar Ii. had Oscar as their first name
Oscar Gustaf V. Adolf
Oscar Carl Agust
Oscar Carl Vilhelm

I also appreciated that Daniel showed respect and quick thinking when he was asked if they had talked to the king and queen. He replied: "Yes, we have talked to both of our parents". Daniel and Victoria have always been aware that their children have grandparents that are equally important although they have different roles.

This was evident at the Te Deum where Mr. and Mrs. Westling were seated ahead of Princess Christina.

:previous: I wish room would've been made for the Westlings on the front row with their son and granddaughter.

It was mainly a media-thing and a few people who cried out in the tabloids that Estelle wasn't a history name that they could hold history-lessons about. A huge majority of the Swedish people loved the name and many of those who were critical like historian Herman Lindqvist for example is silent today.

I don't think Victoria and Daniel care at all about other peoples opinions about the names of their children and they shouldn't.

If this is the case then everything is fine :flowers:. I just remembered those hurtful comments, especially from Lindqvist. Totally, I couldn't imagine Estelle having another name now, she owns it :D

:previous: I wish room would've been made for the Westlings on the front row with their son and granddaughter.

The Westlings have always appeared to do everything they can to keep as low a profile as possible. IMO they were quite happy with where they were sat, close enough to see everything, a row back to ensure they were not centre of attention (as if that would be possible with Estelle around).

They sat in the second row for Estelle's Te Deum and Christening and so if they or Vic and Dan were unhappy with where they sat something would have been done about it by now.

As for the seating at the chapel for the Te Deum and Estelle's christening, I chalk it up to protocol. The rank of the parents may play a factor in location of services: Leonor & Nicolas had their services at Drottingholm Palace's chapel; Estelle and Oscar had theirs at the chapel in Stockholm Palace. I'm guessing Oscar's christening will be at Stockholm Palace as the heiress apparent's child and Carl Philip & Sofia's baby will be at Drottingholm, the same as it was for Madeleine.

I'm sure Ewa and Olle Westling could have choosed to sit beside Daniel, Victoria and Estelle if they wanted to. But they don't want any form of attention at all so i can easily imagine them request to not sit at the 1:st row.

True that there are a lot more spaces in the Royal Palace in Stockholm than at Drottningholm. It will be interesting to see if Victoria or Carl Philip will have a christening at Drottningholm or if they will (once again for Victoria) choose the Royal Palace Church or any other church in Stockholm.
Madeleine choosed Drottningholm for her wedding party and for the christenings of her children because she wanted to have it where she was born. Before Princess Leonor, no royal child had been christened at Drottningholm.

Or maybe they'll choose to have it at Öland in connection with Victoriadagen. It is surely exciting royal times here in Sweden :)

I'm guessing Oscar's christening will be at Stockholm Palace as the heiress apparent's child and Carl Philip & Sofia's baby will be at Drottingholm, the same as it was for Madeleine.
Not necessarily, the reason why Madeleine have chosen Drottningholm for her wedding feast as well as the christening of her children is that she has several times expressed how important Drottningholm always have been to her. If judging from the fact that Carl Philip and Sofia chose to have their wedding feast at Stockholm castle, Drottningholm doesn't seem to mean as much to them, and it's more likely that the christening of their child(ren) will be in the same church where they got married.

Last edited:
Aw, congratulations to the CP family and welcome to the world little Prince Oscar. :swedenflag:
I love his name, but am surprised they went for something traditional as after Estelle I expected them to call him a more surprising name. Sometimes second children of heirs or monarchs also have less traditional names than their older sibling.

I'm looking forward into seeing his first official photos.

Their name game has been on point. Nobody expected Estelle and I doubt anyone guessed Oscar.

Oscar actually isn't that unusual in the SRF, since there have been two Kings with the name (Oscar II also named one of his sons Oscar). I guessed the little prince's name correctly and I think a few other members did too. I do agree that Estelle is kind of unexpected (even though there was a Countess Estelle Bernadotte, but IIRC Princess Estelle wasn't named after her) and that nobody probably guessed it though. I didn't expect Leonore or Nicolas either from Princess Madeleine. It seems that the Swedish royals like to surprise their people! I am intrigued to see what Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia will name their baby.

Oscar has been the name of 10 Bernadotte princes and 2 kings. There's also some counts of Wisborg with the name and one of the sons of Princess Christina is named Oscar so it's fair to say that it's one of, if not the, the most popular names in the family. Added to that there's was also an illegitimate daughter of Oscar I named Oscara.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Oscar has been the name of 10 Bernadotte princes and 2 kings. There's also some counts of Wisborg with the name and one of the sons of Princess Christina is named Oscar so it's fair to say that it's one of, if not the, the most popular names in the family. Added to that there's was also an illegitimate daughter of Oscar I named Oscara.

I had thought that there were Counts of Wisborg named Oscar but wasn't sure if I was right, so didn't include them in my post. I'd completely forgotten about Princess Christina's little grandson, though, for some reason.

Oscara is a really interesting name. I've never come across it before. Just to feed my curiosity, do you have any more info about it?

Oscara is a really interesting name. I've never come across it before. Just to feed my curiosity, do you have any more info about it?

I remembered I'd read about the girl Oscara in a book somewhere but when I googled I only found one link in English to her mother's Wikipedia page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquette_Löwenhielm

I also found that the name Oscara is worn by only 9 women in Sweden today.

I had thought that there were Counts of Wisborg named Oscar but wasn't sure if I was right, so didn't include them in my post. I'd completely forgotten about Princess Christina's little grandson, though, for some reason.

Oscara Meijergeer, (1817-1880) married Hilder was an illegitimate daughter to King Oscar I and his mistress Jacquette Löwenhielm.

Actually the first count of Wisborg was named Oscar. He was a son of Oscar II. His maternal Uncle Adolph, Grand duke of Luxembourg was the one who created the title for the first time. He was the father of Count Folke, Estelle's husband. Folke had an older brother Carl Oscar.

Oscar actually isn't that unusual in the SRF, since there have been two Kings with the name (Oscar II also named one of his sons Oscar). I guessed the little prince's name correctly and I think a few other members did too. I do agree that Estelle is kind of unexpected (even though there was a Countess Estelle Bernadotte, but IIRC Princess Estelle wasn't named after her) and that nobody probably guessed it though. I didn't expect Leonore or Nicolas either from Princess Madeleine. It seems that the Swedish royals like to surprise their people! I am intrigued to see what Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia will name their baby.

King Carl Gustaf said at the Cabinet meeting, where he told Estelle's name that it was "Ett namn som då ligger kronprinsessan och familjen väldigt varmt om hjärtat" = A name that is close to the heart of the Crown Princess and the family. Also one of princess Désirée's granddaughters is called Estelle.

The press told that one of the reasons Victoria and Daniel chose Estelle as a name was that they liked it. But why name Estelle would be close to the heart of the royal family, if it wasn't because of countess Estelle Bernadotte? She was the wife of the king's godfather Folke Bernadotte. Like princess Sibylla, Estelle became a widow relatively young. Estelle's son Folke Bernadotte told to the press after Estelle was born, that the king's and his family were good friends when both of their fathers lived, they were both officers in the cavalry, and even later when both fathers had died in 1947 and 1948. He told that princess Sibylla and Estelle met each other quite often. Estelle Bernadotte was a Head of the Girl Scouts and the King is also active in Scouts. Victoria has studied and always been interested in peace and conflict Research and because of that Folke Bernadotte was an important person for her.

Besides in Sweden, the birth of Oscar has been big news especially in Germany and here in Finland. In Finland a lot of articles has been at the papers and photos on the covers.
Iltalehti wrote yesterday that The Love Story of Victoria and Daniel brought Sweden together and little Oscar complemented their happiness. At the article they go through the whole story of Victoria and Daniel from meeting each other until the birth of Oscar.
Victorian ja Danielin rakkaustarina yhdisti Ruotsin - pikku-Oscar täydensi onnen

Last edited:
Great name! :flowers: Very happy for them. A girl and a boy: perfect!

Congrats to all the family
I don't like Oscar, I prefer Carl but the most important is that the parents like the name.

It is also tradition. Oscar in the House Bernadotte. Leopold in the House of Belgium. Willem/Guillaume the House of Nassau. Louis in the House of Bourbon.

I like it. Much better than Estelle anyway.

King Carl Gustaf said at the Cabinet meeting, where he told Estelle's name that it was "Ett namn som då ligger kronprinsessan och familjen väldigt varmt om hjärtat" = A name that is close to the heart of the Crown Princess and the family. Also one of princess Désirée's granddaughters is called Estelle.

The press told that one of the reasons Victoria and Daniel chose Estelle as a name was that they liked it. But why name Estelle would be close to the heart of the royal family, if it wasn't because of countess Estelle Bernadotte? She was the wife of the king's godfather Folke Bernadotte. Like princess Sibylla, Estelle became a widow relatively young. Estelle's son Folke Bernadotte told to the press after Estelle was born, that the king's and his family were good friends when both of their fathers lived, they were both officers in the cavalry, and even later when both fathers had died in 1947 and 1948. He told that princess Sibylla and Estelle met each other quite often. Estelle Bernadotte was a Head of the Girl Scouts and the King is also active in Scouts. Victoria has studied and always been interested in peace and conflict Research and because of that Folke Bernadotte was an important person for her.

Besides in Sweden, the birth of Oscar has been big news especially in Germany and here in Finland. In Finland a lot of articles has been at the papers and photos on the covers.
Iltalehti wrote yesterday that The Love Story of Victoria and Daniel brought Sweden together and little Oscar complemented their happiness. At the article they go through the whole story of Victoria and Daniel from meeting each other until the birth of Oscar.
Victorian ja Danielin rakkaustarina yhdisti Ruotsin - pikku-Oscar täydensi onnen

I had said was "but IIRC Princess Estelle wasn't named after her", which was not meant as a criticism, though I apologise if that's how I came across. I had also said "if I recall", and by that I meant I wasn't sure about Estelle being named after Countess Estelle Bernadotte, that is all.

I mentioned it because I remember saying before on another discussion that Estelle was named after her, but I seem to remember someone else saying she wasn't and that Estelle was chosen just because Victoria and Daniel liked it. But my memory is quite hazy on that, so I could be incorrect here.

Though thank you for clearing that up. I had thought it was the case but as I'd said above, wasn't totally sure. I think that's a lovely motive, as I remember reading that she did a lot of charity work.

Last edited:
I like the name, I've got a nephew with the same name. Funny enough, and Queen Silvia will know this, there is a saying in german 'frech wie Oscar' meaning a cheeky kid. So if the boy is a handfull, his grandmother will surely be reminded of this saying ;-)

Great news Oscar is lovely name for prince.
Gongs to the royal family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom