The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Probably because it is The first Bernadotte prince born into the royal family was the future Oscar I (son of Jean-Baptiste later King Charles and Desiree ClearyClary
As the future Oscar I was eleven years old when he became prince of Sweden, the the first member of the Bernadotte dynasty born as a prince of Sweden was the future Carl VI, the second was prince Gustaf and the third the future Oscar II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
While Olof is obviously meant as an honor to Daniel and his father, the name has a rich history to match those of Oscar and Carl.
<snip>
-Gustaf VI Adolf not only shares a duchy with the little prince, but 2 names in common. His full name was Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolph
Even there have been Swedish kings with the name Olof, the name was more historically (as well as in modern times) more common among the kings of Norway, and as Gustaf VI Adolf was born prince of Sweden and Norway, the name Olaf was a homage to Norway, and its national saint, Olaf II of Norway.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oultrement View Post
Estelle and CG don't look anything alike, but CG's expression in that pic reminds me of the same faces Estelle would make when she was a baby! 😝 But she was and is still cute as a button!
CG? As in the King? I never said Estelle looks like the King. The 4 pictures in that link are Daniel, Victoria, Estelle and Oscar as babies.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As the future Oscar I was eleven years old when he became prince of Sweden, the the first member of the Bernadotte dynasty born as a prince of Sweden was the future Carl VI, the second was prince Gustaf and the third the future Oscar II.

Even there have been Swedish kings with the name Olof, the name was more historically (as well as in modern times) more common among the kings of Norway, and as Gustaf VI Adolf was born prince of Sweden and Norway, the name Olaf was a homage to Norway, and its national saint, Olaf II of Norway.
The name may be more common in Norway, but it has a history in Sweden, that was my point. It makes no difference, the baby was named in honor of his dad/grandfather, not because of any royal lineage link. I apologize if I offended your obvious sensitivity to spelling, but I don't see any error in pointing out Sweden also has a history for the name. But I guess to each their own.

As for Oscar I, bad wording on my part. My intended meaning was in he was the first Bernadotte prince of the title by blood and not election. He became a prince of Sweden as the son of his father, not by election/adoption as his father did.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
CG? As in the King? I never said Estelle looks like the King. The 4 pictures in that link are Daniel, Victoria, Estelle and Oscar as babies.
Is Daniel in the top left corner, and Victoria on the right?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

I do not think Oscar looks like his big sister.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Little Oscar is cute as a button! To me, he mainly looks like his sister at this point but has more of Victoria's features whereas Estelle had more of Daniel's features as a baby.

Another comparison: Victoria * Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
To me Oscar looks like his mother while Estelle looks like her father
I agree. Estelle has since grown into a great mix of the two, methinks, but as a baby she definitely looked more like Daniel. At her christening, she looked almost identical to that baby picture of Daniel.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Little Oscar is cute as a button! To me, he mainly looks like his sister at this point but has more of Victoria's features whereas Estelle had more of Daniel's features as a baby.

Another comparison: Victoria * Oscar

I agree. Estelle has since grown into a great mix of the two, methinks, but as a baby she definitely looked more like Daniel. At her christening, she looked almost identical to that baby picture of Daniel.
Yes her facial expressions at the christening were definitely all Daddy. You can see it with that baby photo of Dan.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Did not mean to imply that - sorry. My point was was actually the rest of the post. No offense meant. I do apologize.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
My bad, I have mistaken Daniel's picture for King CG. Well, now I do see the resemblance between Daniel and Estelle as babies. Although she still resembles Vic a lot more than Daniel. But both children are too cute!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Courtier

He's darling! Love his cute little button nose😍. I bet they are just thrilled to bits - just like when his big sister was born!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning has a good quality video of Daniel's press conference
Se Daniels presskonferens igen _ Svensk Damtidning

Aftonbladet's article from last week, when people could write their congratulations due to the birth of prince Oscar at the Royal Palace. Thousands of people congratulated the crown princess family via Aftonbladet.
Jonas Rosin, who works as a porter and guide, was at his finer work uniform and received people's congratulations.
- This is very nice, especially if your other name is Olof, says Jonas Rosin, which is actually named Jonas-Olof.
Anyone could sit down at one of the tables and write a short or long salute to Prince Oscar.
- Everything will be handed over to the Crown Princess Couple, then they will be archived in the Royal Archives. We use archive quality paper, says Rosin.
Because so many of our readers wrote "Congratulations to the little prince" and "Welcome to the world little prince" Aftonbladet handed over a stack with thousands of greetings.
- They will also be archived, says Jonas Rosin.
Tusentals läsare lyckönskade – här lämnar vi över hälsningarna _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 AM
Commoner

I am so happy for The Crown Princess family
To be blessed with two lovely children - a girl and then a boy - that is something to cherish and be thankful for. Congratulations!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oultrement View Post
My bad, I have mistaken Daniel's picture for King CG. Well, now I do see the resemblance between Daniel and Estelle as babies. Although she still resembles Vic a lot more than Daniel. But both children are too cute!
No worries Yeah I think so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
Is Daniel in the top left corner, and Victoria on the right?
Yup!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen that prince Oscar may be baptized on a special date. The christening will in many ways be similar to Princess Estelle's christening in the Royal Chapel in May 2012. Since he is after Estelle in succession, it may be slightly smaller. But the place is expected to be the same and the priests are given.
The date? If one follows the tradition, which says that the royal christenings be implemented within three months from birth, it will be by the beginning of June.
Allegedly, the christening is to be held on a particular date, as a tribute to the king. Victoria and Daniel are said to look the 7th of June. King Carl Gustaf was baptized on 7th June 70 years ago.
Estelle's christening was on Tuesday, and the 7th June is Tuesday too.
The court is still secretive about the details, Margareta Thorgren says:
- We have in the current situation no information to communicate when it comes to the christening. Earliest maybe after two weeks, we have something we can talk about the christening.
Will the christening be before the summer?
- As I said, nothing we can talk about today, Thorgren said.
Lillprinsen kan få dela dopdag med kungen _ Dokument _ Expressen

On the cover of finnish magazines: Family happiness, the little prince charmed Sweden
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ba&oe=57577B82
http://seura.fi/wp-content/uploads/a...c0-543x700.jpg
Old 03-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Heir Apparent

The 7th would be great (not as great as the wedding anniversary ) but fitting to have him baptized on the 70th anniversary of his grandfather's If they want to pick a day in June that has special meaning to the king, those are the only 2 days I can think of.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Victoria and Daniel coul also choose a date at the end of May, and not necessarly in June.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning wrote at last week's issue that after Te Deum there was a lunch at princess Sibylla's apartment. Three courses were on the menu and at the round table sat the king and queen, Daniel and Estelle, Carl Philip and Sofia, Madeleine and Chris, Ewa and Olle Westling, Anna and Mikael Westling Söderström, princess Christina and Tord Magnuson, Dagmar von Arbin, countess Marianne Bernadotte and the Marshal of the Realm Svante Lindqvist and his wife. The king was in a very good mood, despite of his influenza. The lunch was rather quick, Svensk Damtidning tells that Estelle "hade spring i benen", she wanted to get away from the table. Maybe she wanted to go home to Haga Palace to look at her little brother?
Damtidning also tells that a day before Oscar was born, Daniel was having lunch at Teatergrillen and looked very calm and cool.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

I guess we'll see a christening on 22:th May (same as Estelle) or 7:th June (same as the King).

19:th June is unlikely as the regent couple celebrates their Ruby Wedding Anniversary on that day wich means there are likely other family celebrations planned.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

How much time before the event is a swedish royal christening usually announced? When were, for instance, Estelle/Leonore and Nicolas's christenings announced? A couple of months earlier?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post

If I had been Swedish, and named Olaf (is there a female form of Olaf?), my name day and my birthday would have been on the same day.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community