The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

A Boy for Victoria and Daniel - Oscar Carl Olof, Duke of Skåne: March 2, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Oscar has been the name of 10 Bernadotte princes and 2 kings. There's also some counts of Wisborg with the name and one of the sons of Princess Christina is named Oscar so it's fair to say that it's one of, if not the, the most popular names in the family. Added to that there's was also an illegitimate daughter of Oscar I named Oscara.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I had thought that there were Counts of Wisborg named Oscar but wasn't sure if I was right, so didn't include them in my post. I'd completely forgotten about Princess Christina's little grandson, though, for some reason.

Oscara is a really interesting name. I've never come across it before. Just to feed my curiosity, do you have any more info about it?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Oscara is a really interesting name. I've never come across it before. Just to feed my curiosity, do you have any more info about it?

I remembered I'd read about the girl Oscara in a book somewhere but when I googled I only found one link in English to her mother's Wikipedia page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquette_Löwenhielm

I also found that the name Oscara is worn by only 9 women in Sweden today.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I had thought that there were Counts of Wisborg named Oscar but wasn't sure if I was right, so didn't include them in my post. I'd completely forgotten about Princess Christina's little grandson, though, for some reason.

Oscara Meijergeer, (1817-1880) married Hilder was an illegitimate daughter to King Oscar I and his mistress Jacquette Löwenhielm.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Actually the first count of Wisborg was named Oscar. He was a son of Oscar II. His maternal Uncle Adolph, Grand duke of Luxembourg was the one who created the title for the first time. He was the father of Count Folke, Estelle's husband. Folke had an older brother Carl Oscar.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oscar actually isn't that unusual in the SRF, since there have been two Kings with the name (Oscar II also named one of his sons Oscar). I guessed the little prince's name correctly and I think a few other members did too. I do agree that Estelle is kind of unexpected (even though there was a Countess Estelle Bernadotte, but IIRC Princess Estelle wasn't named after her) and that nobody probably guessed it though. I didn't expect Leonore or Nicolas either from Princess Madeleine. It seems that the Swedish royals like to surprise their people! I am intrigued to see what Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia will name their baby.
King Carl Gustaf said at the Cabinet meeting, where he told Estelle's name that it was "Ett namn som då ligger kronprinsessan och familjen väldigt varmt om hjärtat" = A name that is close to the heart of the Crown Princess and the family. Also one of princess Désirée's granddaughters is called Estelle.

The press told that one of the reasons Victoria and Daniel chose Estelle as a name was that they liked it. But why name Estelle would be close to the heart of the royal family, if it wasn't because of countess Estelle Bernadotte? She was the wife of the king's godfather Folke Bernadotte. Like princess Sibylla, Estelle became a widow relatively young. Estelle's son Folke Bernadotte told to the press after Estelle was born, that the king's and his family were good friends when both of their fathers lived, they were both officers in the cavalry, and even later when both fathers had died in 1947 and 1948. He told that princess Sibylla and Estelle met each other quite often. Estelle Bernadotte was a Head of the Girl Scouts and the King is also active in Scouts. Victoria has studied and always been interested in peace and conflict Research and because of that Folke Bernadotte was an important person for her.

Besides in Sweden, the birth of Oscar has been big news especially in Germany and here in Finland. In Finland a lot of articles has been at the papers and photos on the covers.
Iltalehti wrote yesterday that The Love Story of Victoria and Daniel brought Sweden together and little Oscar complemented their happiness. At the article they go through the whole story of Victoria and Daniel from meeting each other until the birth of Oscar.
Victorian ja Danielin rakkaustarina yhdisti Ruotsin - pikku-Oscar täydensi onnen
Old 03-06-2016, 03:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great name! Very happy for them. A girl and a boy: perfect!
Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Congrats to all the family
I don't like Oscar, I prefer Carl but the most important is that the parents like the name.
It is also tradition. Oscar in the House Bernadotte. Leopold in the House of Belgium. Willem/Guillaume the House of Nassau. Louis in the House of Bourbon.

I like it. Much better than Estelle anyway.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
King Carl Gustaf said at the Cabinet meeting, where he told Estelle's name that it was "Ett namn som då ligger kronprinsessan och familjen väldigt varmt om hjärtat" = A name that is close to the heart of the Crown Princess and the family. Also one of princess Désirée's granddaughters is called Estelle.

The press told that one of the reasons Victoria and Daniel chose Estelle as a name was that they liked it. But why name Estelle would be close to the heart of the royal family, if it wasn't because of countess Estelle Bernadotte? She was the wife of the king's godfather Folke Bernadotte. Like princess Sibylla, Estelle became a widow relatively young. Estelle's son Folke Bernadotte told to the press after Estelle was born, that the king's and his family were good friends when both of their fathers lived, they were both officers in the cavalry, and even later when both fathers had died in 1947 and 1948. He told that princess Sibylla and Estelle met each other quite often. Estelle Bernadotte was a Head of the Girl Scouts and the King is also active in Scouts. Victoria has studied and always been interested in peace and conflict Research and because of that Folke Bernadotte was an important person for her.

Besides in Sweden, the birth of Oscar has been big news especially in Germany and here in Finland. In Finland a lot of articles has been at the papers and photos on the covers.
Iltalehti wrote yesterday that The Love Story of Victoria and Daniel brought Sweden together and little Oscar complemented their happiness. At the article they go through the whole story of Victoria and Daniel from meeting each other until the birth of Oscar.
Victorian ja Danielin rakkaustarina yhdisti Ruotsin - pikku-Oscar täydensi onnen

I had said was "but IIRC Princess Estelle wasn't named after her", which was not meant as a criticism, though I apologise if that's how I came across. I had also said "if I recall", and by that I meant I wasn't sure about Estelle being named after Countess Estelle Bernadotte, that is all.

I mentioned it because I remember saying before on another discussion that Estelle was named after her, but I seem to remember someone else saying she wasn't and that Estelle was chosen just because Victoria and Daniel liked it. But my memory is quite hazy on that, so I could be incorrect here.

Though thank you for clearing that up. I had thought it was the case but as I'd said above, wasn't totally sure. I think that's a lovely motive, as I remember reading that she did a lot of charity work.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

At Oscar's duchy Skåne at the bakeries the "Oscar-cakes" were being baked the whole Thursday-Friday night.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I like the name, I've got a nephew with the same name. Funny enough, and Queen Silvia will know this, there is a saying in german 'frech wie Oscar' meaning a cheeky kid. So if the boy is a handfull, his grandmother will surely be reminded of this saying ;-)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Great news Oscar is lovely name for prince.
Gongs to the royal family.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Nobility

There's a lot of fuss about Oscar, even baking cakes in his honor. Did they do this for Estelle, Leonor or Nicolas? It seems like more attention born to a prince born third in line to the throne.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
There's a lot of fuss about Oscar, even baking cakes in his honor. Did they do this for Estelle, Leonor or Nicolas? It seems like more attention born to a prince born third in line to the throne.
This is the cake for P.Estelle's birth http://www.aromatic.se/Prinsessan_Es...S/Default.aspx
This is called a Princess cake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_cake

So no need for suspicions
Old 03-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think it's lovely that the Countess is Estelle's namesake
You do mean that princess Estelle is the namesake of the countess, don't you? (I doubt Estelle Manville was named after a princess born 112 years later.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
This is the cake for P.Estelle's birth Prinsessan Estelles doptårta
This is called a Princess cake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_cake
That is not the true Estelle cake, it's an ordinary Princess cake with a pink covering made to the christening of Estelle.

Estelle got her own cake in her duchy, there was a competition and Lanemo konditori (bakery) in Linköping won: Östgötska hertiginnan prinsessan Estelles egen bakelse - Sett och hört - www.ostgotamat.se
There were also an Estelle cake made in Ockelbo: Ockelbos lilla sessa får en egen bakelse

The same bakers who made the Estelle cake in Ockelbo made a cake to Leonore: Tårtan smakar kungligt, Leonore! | Nyheter | Expressen

I haven't seen any kind of cake made for Nicolas, but there is a Finnish Nikolai cake, but I wouldn't recommend it for the little prince until after his 18th birthday as there are beer in the cake: Nikolai-kakku – Olut ja suklaa –reseptikilpailu - House of Beer

As for the cake for prince Oscar, it seems to be an ordinary Princess cake, but with blueberries and a white covering. It would have been more interesting if they had taken the Oscar II cake and made something new of that: http://www.koket.se/hela-sverige-bak...ar-ii-s-tarta/ as it's a gluten-free cake.

Even Sofia have got her own cake in Älvdalen:
Old 03-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is also an Estelle Cake sold exclusively in NK.
https://www.facebook.com/33675639968...type=3&theater
Estelle was having an NK Estelle Cake at a photo for her 2nd birthday
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 03-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I love Estelle's NK cake And that they used it for her 2nd birthday photos
Old 03-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thank you to those of you who helped me with Oscara. It was fascinating to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
You do mean that princess Estelle is the namesake of the countess, don't you? (I doubt Estelle Manville was named after a princess born 112 years later.)
Of course I do, and I also realise that Princess Estelle was born long after Countess Estelle. I now realise the phrasing sounds confusing and have amended my post.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post

That is not the true Estelle cake, it's an ordinary Princess cake with a pink covering made to the christening of Estelle.

Estelle got her own cake in her duchy, there was a competition and Lanemo konditori (bakery) in Linköping won: Östgötska hertiginnan prinsessan Estelles egen bakelse - Sett och hört - www.ostgotamat.se
There were also an Estelle cake made in Ockelbo: Ockelbos lilla sessa får en egen bakelse

The same bakers who made the Estelle cake in Ockelbo made a cake to Leonore: Tårtan smakar kungligt, Leonore! | Nyheter | Expressen

I haven't seen any kind of cake made for Nicolas, but there is a Finnish Nikolai cake, but I wouldn't recommend it for the little prince until after his 18th birthday as there are beer in the cake: Nikolai-kakku – Olut ja suklaa –reseptikilpailu - House of Beer

As for the cake for prince Oscar, it seems to be an ordinary Princess cake, but with blueberries and a white covering. It would have been more interesting if they had taken the Oscar II cake and made something new of that: Oscar II:s tårta | Recept från Köket.se as it's a gluten-free cake.

Even Sofia have got her own cake in Älvdalen:
Thank you for posting, this shows even more that there no need for suspicions the new baby is getting better treatment in the cake department than his sister or cousins

I didn't research well enough but let my irritation at Mme Verseau's suggestive post get the better of me...
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

I didn't know Oscar was a name already well loved by the SRF. The name Oscar itself sounds so distinctly English to me.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I didn't know Oscar was a name already well loved by the SRF. The name Oscar itself sounds so distinctly English to me.

IIRC Napoleon chose the name Oscar for his godson after reading "The works of Ossian" supposedly consisting of Gaelic folksongs and poetry collected by James Macpherson so you're not that far off.