The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Congrats to the parents, sister and family. I love the name choice, Oscar.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Commoner

Stell is BIG sister...I'm sure she would correct you. Love Daniel's and Car Philip's huge smiles and their attentiveness to sweet Estelle. So happy for this family!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Saw the news before I ran out the door to work this morning but didn't have time to comment. So happy to see all the pics especially the proud mom and big sister Estelle was adorable at the te deum. Glad the entire family, save the mom and baby, were there.

Surprised he only has 3 names. Seems odd when parents (royal or not) choose different numbers of names for kids. I am wondering if they have reserved 4 names for the heir (I know Maddie and CP do but I mean this generation). Of the four grandkids, only Estelle has 4. I thought it was just Maddie, but am starting to wonder. Will see is CP's baby has 3 or 4.

As for the name Oscar I am THRILLED. I kept wanting to put it on my list at the top but I removed it. Thought it wasn't obscure/closely family enough for them after Estelle. I love such a name for a Swedish prince, one that screams Scandinavia.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 AM
Serene Highness

http://img.kiosko.net/2016/03/03/se/...posten.750.jpg

Is Oscar really THAT big? WOW
BYe Bine
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Haven't posted in forever. Saw the news yesterday wanted to say Congrats and I'm so happy for Victoria and Daniel. I still cannot believe how fantastic she looks for giving birth only a few hours ago (I think I said the same thing with Estelle!)
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Football club Helsingborgs IF from Oscar's duchy Skåne sent already yesterday their football jersey to Oscar to the Royal Palace. Helsingborgs IF is looking forward to Oscar's visit to their stadium Olympia in the future.
https://www.facebook.com/1907.HIF/ph...type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/1907.HIF/ph...type=3&theater

Gallery from ParisMatch
Vive le prince Oscar ! La Suède fête la naissance du fils de Victoria

The other Oscars at the Bernadotte Dynasty
Oscar Magnuson, the son of princess Christina and Tord Magnuson
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...70696642217195
Oscar "Oscis" Bernadotte, the son of count Carl Bernadotte af Wisborg and baroness Marianne de Geer (94-old younger brother of Dagmar von Arbin)
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...70696642217195
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblog...-historie.html

Names Oscar Carl Olof have a long royal history
Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Oscar has been an extremely popular first and middle name for the Bernadottes.

-CG's grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustaf Adolf, was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Skane
-CG's great-grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustav V he was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Varmland
-Charles IV (older brother of Oscar II) his only son was Carl Oscar
-Oscar I and II of Sweden
-Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (son of Oscar II) first Count of Wisborg
-his grandson Oscar pictured in post above
-Oscar Magnuson pictured above

CG is one of 2 crown princes in the Bernadotte line not to have Oscar, the other being Charles IV.

those who include it as a middle name:
-the king' s father had it as a third name
-Bertil also had it as a middle name
-Prince Carl Bernadotte son of Carl, Duke of Vastergotland
Old 03-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Courtier

Congrats to Victoria, Daniel, and their families! I don't really guess baby names but since Carl occurs so frequently for Swedish princes, I assumed it would be one of his names.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Nobility

Daniel must be very proud of Oscar as he was when he first met Estelle. I wonder if he is wistful to the fact that the Westling name will not carry on through his son. Perhaps that is why the new prince has Olof as a name - a way to honor the father who gave up his family name to marry into the royal house.

Imagine the sense of pride Olle Westling must feel. Never did he ever think he would have royal grandchildren; or that his blood (in all purposes a Westling) will one day sit on the throne.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Courtier

It's actually not that unusual for husbands to take their new wife's surname upon marriage in Sweden these days. Many men do and also a lot of couples decide to take either the surname of a female ancestor or make up a completely new one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Courtier

Just like JR76 said, it's optional for a couple to chose what surname they want when they get married. They can take her or his name. They can also take (under certain restrictions) an older family name, or make up one that's entirely new for their new family unit.

If a couple that lives together but aren't married (very common here in Sweden), their children automatically gets the mothers surname, unless they make a formal request to Skatteverket (IRS) that the child should be registered with his/her fathers surname.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Oscar has been an extremely popular first and middle name for the Bernadottes.

-CG's grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustaf Adolf, was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Skane
-CG's great-grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustav V he was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Varmland
-Charles IV (older brother of Oscar II) his only son was Carl Oscar
-Oscar I and II of Sweden
-Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (son of Oscar II) first Count of Wisborg
-his grandson Oscar pictured in post above
-Oscar Magnuson pictured above

CG is one of 2 crown princes in the Bernadotte line not to have Oscar, the other being Charles IV.

those who include it as a middle name:
-the king' s father had it as a third name
-Bertil also had it as a middle name
-Prince Carl Bernadotte son of Carl, Duke of Vastergotland
Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes !
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Lärarförbundet (The Swedish Teachers Union) congratulates Victoria and Daniel:
Considering Daniel's earlier statement, we hope of course that Oscar is prospective teacher. Quote from the opening of school in Ockelbo February 16th. (from Daniel's speech).
"You teachers are society's most important resource. You have no easy task, but it is crucial for an individual and the development of the society".
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCfyOgOi...lararforbundet

A lots of presents will be on these days sent to prince Oscar, Ekelund Weavers sent ecologial blankets to him.
https://www.facebook.com/ekelundweav...type=3&theater

And here we have a Prince Cake (a version of Princess Cake with blue marzipan)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiCdSTF...emattias&hl=fi
Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

Can't wait to see photos
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy
Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Can't wait to see photos
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.
It was mainly a media-thing and a few people who cried out in the tabloids that Estelle wasn't a history name that they could hold history-lessons about. A huge majority of the Swedish people loved the name and many of those who were critical like historian Herman Lindqvist for example is silent today.

I don't think Victoria and Daniel care at all about other peoples opinions about the names of their children and they shouldn't.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes !
That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy

The Court has denied that the photo is of little Oscar.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.
What i meant is that their spoken name were always Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf. It is easy to check this.

You are right that their first name was Oscar but they were never called Prince Oscar.