The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #201  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:09 PM
tdarlene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lagos, Portugal
Posts: 657
Congrats to the parents, sister and family. I love the name choice, Oscar.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Grand Couteau, United States
Posts: 14
Stell is BIG sister...I'm sure she would correct you. Love Daniel's and Car Philip's huge smiles and their attentiveness to sweet Estelle. So happy for this family!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,401
Saw the news before I ran out the door to work this morning but didn't have time to comment. So happy to see all the pics especially the proud mom and big sister Estelle was adorable at the te deum. Glad the entire family, save the mom and baby, were there.

Surprised he only has 3 names. Seems odd when parents (royal or not) choose different numbers of names for kids. I am wondering if they have reserved 4 names for the heir (I know Maddie and CP do but I mean this generation). Of the four grandkids, only Estelle has 4. I thought it was just Maddie, but am starting to wonder. Will see is CP's baby has 3 or 4.

As for the name Oscar I am THRILLED. I kept wanting to put it on my list at the top but I removed it. Thought it wasn't obscure/closely family enough for them after Estelle. I love such a name for a Swedish prince, one that screams Scandinavia.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,317
http://img.kiosko.net/2016/03/03/se/...posten.750.jpg


Is Oscar really THAT big? WOW
BYe Bine
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 03-04-2016, 01:21 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Haven't posted in forever. Saw the news yesterday wanted to say Congrats and I'm so happy for Victoria and Daniel. I still cannot believe how fantastic she looks for giving birth only a few hours ago (I think I said the same thing with Estelle!)
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,479
Football club Helsingborgs IF from Oscar's duchy Skåne sent already yesterday their football jersey to Oscar to the Royal Palace. Helsingborgs IF is looking forward to Oscar's visit to their stadium Olympia in the future.
https://www.facebook.com/1907.HIF/ph...type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/1907.HIF/ph...type=3&theater

Gallery from ParisMatch
Vive le prince Oscar ! La Suède fête la naissance du fils de Victoria

The other Oscars at the Bernadotte Dynasty
Oscar Magnuson, the son of princess Christina and Tord Magnuson
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...70696642217195
Oscar "Oscis" Bernadotte, the son of count Carl Bernadotte af Wisborg and baroness Marianne de Geer (94-old younger brother of Dagmar von Arbin)
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010050...70696642217195
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 AM
eya eya is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 5,412
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblog...-historie.html

Names Oscar Carl Olof have a long royal history
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,401
Oscar has been an extremely popular first and middle name for the Bernadottes.

-CG's grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustaf Adolf, was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Skane
-CG's great-grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustav V he was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Varmland
-Charles IV (older brother of Oscar II) his only son was Carl Oscar
-Oscar I and II of Sweden
-Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (son of Oscar II) first Count of Wisborg
-his grandson Oscar pictured in post above
-Oscar Magnuson pictured above





CG is one of 2 crown princes in the Bernadotte line not to have Oscar, the other being Charles IV.


those who include it as a middle name:
-the king' s father had it as a third name
-Bertil also had it as a middle name
-Prince Carl Bernadotte son of Carl, Duke of Vastergotland
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 03-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 905
Congrats to Victoria, Daniel, and their families! I don't really guess baby names but since Carl occurs so frequently for Swedish princes, I assumed it would be one of his names.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 354
Daniel must be very proud of Oscar as he was when he first met Estelle. I wonder if he is wistful to the fact that the Westling name will not carry on through his son. Perhaps that is why the new prince has Olof as a name - a way to honor the father who gave up his family name to marry into the royal house.

Imagine the sense of pride Olle Westling must feel. Never did he ever think he would have royal grandchildren; or that his blood (in all purposes a Westling) will one day sit on the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
It's actually not that unusual for husbands to take their new wife's surname upon marriage in Sweden these days. Many men do and also a lot of couples decide to take either the surname of a female ancestor or make up a completely new one.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM
xenobia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 572
Just like JR76 said, it's optional for a couple to chose what surname they want when they get married. They can take her or his name. They can also take (under certain restrictions) an older family name, or make up one that's entirely new for their new family unit.

If a couple that lives together but aren't married (very common here in Sweden), their children automatically gets the mothers surname, unless they make a formal request to Skatteverket (IRS) that the child should be registered with his/her fathers surname.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Oscar has been an extremely popular first and middle name for the Bernadottes.

-CG's grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustaf Adolf, was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Skane
-CG's great-grandfather though he chose to rule as Gustav V he was born Prince Oscar, Duke of Varmland
-Charles IV (older brother of Oscar II) his only son was Carl Oscar
-Oscar I and II of Sweden
-Prince Oscar, Duke of Gotland (son of Oscar II) first Count of Wisborg
-his grandson Oscar pictured in post above
-Oscar Magnuson pictured above





CG is one of 2 crown princes in the Bernadotte line not to have Oscar, the other being Charles IV.


those who include it as a middle name:
-the king' s father had it as a third name
-Bertil also had it as a middle name
-Prince Carl Bernadotte son of Carl, Duke of Vastergotland
Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes !
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,479
Lärarförbundet (The Swedish Teachers Union) congratulates Victoria and Daniel:
Considering Daniel's earlier statement, we hope of course that Oscar is prospective teacher. Quote from the opening of school in Ockelbo February 16th. (from Daniel's speech).
"You teachers are society's most important resource. You have no easy task, but it is crucial for an individual and the development of the society".
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCfyOgOi...lararforbundet

A lots of presents will be on these days sent to prince Oscar, Ekelund Weavers sent ecologial blankets to him.
https://www.facebook.com/ekelundweav...type=3&theater

And here we have a Prince Cake (a version of Princess Cake with blue marzipan)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiCdSTF...emattias&hl=fi
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Fürstin Taxis's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Garatshausen, Germany
Posts: 1,113
Can't wait to see photos
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.
__________________

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,673
Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Can't wait to see photos
I think this time they played it safe with the name after the backlash they received the first time. It's a precious name imo.
It was mainly a media-thing and a few people who cried out in the tabloids that Estelle wasn't a history name that they could hold history-lessons about. A huge majority of the Swedish people loved the name and many of those who were critical like historian Herman Lindqvist for example is silent today.

I don't think Victoria and Daniel care at all about other peoples opinions about the names of their children and they shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Gustaf VI Adolf and his father Gustaf V was born as Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf even though they had Oscar first in their names.

There is a story when Crown Prince Carl (XV) when he told the names and titles of the newly born Prince Gustaf (V) to the cabinet said : "His name is Oscar Gustaf Adolf and nothing more".

He wasn't happy at all that his little brother Oscar had a son and he himself hadn't. He even wanted to introduce cognatic succession in Sweden to allow his only child Lovisa to become Crown Princess and his heir presumtive to the throne. She instead became Crown Princess and Queen Consort of Denmark.

I am impressed by Dagmar Von Arbin and her living siblings. There we have a family with really good genes !
That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Uhm, a picture of a baby on his room have surfaced on Instagram. And the account claims it's Oscar. It looks like a very private picture and if that's baby boy it's not him, I would worry. That's because, who could have taken a picture of him at home and publishe it on Instagram? But that looked very private- I thought it had been released by the palace, so I looked for it on the site. Once I saw the swedish court hadn't released anything I started to doubt that photo was the one of Victoria and Daniel's son. Very creepy

The Court has denied that the photo is of little Oscar.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
That is like saying Estellle was born Mary. No she wasn't born Mary, she was born Estelle, Mary was just her last name. Even if she chose to reign as Queen Mary, she would have still been born as Estelle. Gustaf Adolph was born Prince Oscar Frederik Wilhelm Olof Gustaf Adolf. Same goes for his father, no matter his reignal name, he was born Oscar, that was his legal first name. Victoria is not Alice, CP is not Edmund, Madeleine is not Therese. CG is not Hubertus. When you are said to be born with a name, you are referring to your First name.
What i meant is that their spoken name were always Prince Gustaf Adolf and Prince Gustaf. It is easy to check this.

You are right that their first name was Oscar but they were never called Prince Oscar.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Oscar (1859-1953), Countess Ebba and Family (incl. Count Folke) Marengo Swedish Royal History 15 07-27-2016 01:56 PM
King Oscar II (1829-1907) and Queen Sofia Elise,LadyofLancaster Swedish Royal History 40 05-31-2016 10:57 PM
King Oscar I (1799-1859) and Queen Josefina Marengo Swedish Royal History 24 03-23-2016 02:15 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grahamm grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament photo picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess eugenie eveningwear princess ingrid alexandra princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania revolution royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises