The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Your View Of An Ideal Consort

What would be the best traits for an ideal consort, in your view? Pretty? Photogenic? Is there any particular trait or background that you would find ideal?

Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The perfect consort in my book would be the one that brings out the absolute best in their spouse and wants them to be exactly who they are without wanting to change anything about them or change anything to appease someone else.

The rest as far as looks and fashion and suitability is just icing on the cake.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The perfect consort in my book would be the one that brings out the absolute best in their spouse and wants them to be exactly who they are without wanting to change anything about them or change anything to appease someone else.

The rest as far as looks and fashion and suitability is just icing on the cake.
I agree Osipi and IMHO their looks are not as important. As long as she or he is neatly groomed and attired for the event, the focus should be on supporting their spouse with their role. As most monarchies are hereditary ones, I do believe that they should also be involved in raising and preparing their heir(s) for their future roles as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the ideal female consort was the Queen Mother. Prince Albert was a man diffident and lacking in self confidence. Queen Elizabeth was his rock and comfort really. She was a tactful, kind and dutiful person, with a sense of fun about her which made her popular. An affectionate and kindly mother to her two daughters, her one failing in that department IMO was a discounting of a full and rigorous education for girls. The Queen as heir, and Margaret too, would probably have benefited from boarding school.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

unfortunately that was how things were done with royal daughters in the day. Alexandra who went to boarding school in ascot was the first female British Royal to attend boarding school. Even with Anne she was schooled by a governess for the first years of school, unlike her brothers, she was thirteen when sent to boarding school.

Shame, as with continental royals we see a difference. Beatrix and margrethe both had proper educations, public and boarding, and spent time at university. Not sure margrethe ever finished any university, she went to a few including Cambridge, the Sorbonne and London school of economics, but Beatrix has a law degree.

I think education needs to be made a higher importance for the heir as well as younger siblings now a days. See royals I. Asia and the Middle East and they have amazing education backgrounds. Even a future king of queen wouldn't suffer for having a good education base. Same goes for their spouse.

The only issue with an educated consort is their career. we have to remember these consorts will have to give up their own career and ambitions when they wed. It would have been easier years ago when most brudesmaid would have been looking to be a housewife anyways. But if you marry the heir, or even the sPate in most monarchies, being a riyal is your life. A woman would really have to love a man, to give up a career she was passionate about. Happens, see it with Letizia, maxima and Mathilde, but not easy. Kate is educated but didn't have a career to speak of. Compared to the wives of the hours of Kent and Gloucester. They are married to a professor and pediatrician. Would a doctor be willing yo give up ekeven years of education to cut ribbons and attend parties?pethaps, but it would not be easy to find.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

We can be relatively short about that. The ideal consort is the one who can "shut up and be pretty". That is main characteriztion of the "job".
Old 11-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Like Prince Philip?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States

Philip may very well have been a "pretty" boy in his earlier years but one thing for certain, he never went quietly into the night and was known for his meek and humble demeanor. I think HM, The Queen came to rely on and was assured that in the day ahead, there was always the possibility of Philip doing or saying something that would bring on a giggle or two.

Henrik of Denmark runs a close second to Philip in the outspoken arena. He's also been very noted for his flamboyant taste in men's fashion and then, there's Henrik's exotic art.

Both Elizabeth and Margrethe have had long, steady marriages so these guys must be doing something right.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Like Prince Philip?
Yes, overseeing the almost 70 years as consort, he indeed did shut up and was pretty for 99.9% of the time. He completely moulded himself as the Queen's luggage.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Courtier

To me the ideal consort is mentally stable and emotionally mature. Not someone who moons after the impossible and thinks that they are entitled to step up as an equal (in terms of position) and push their spouse around. The ideal consort accepts that they will be top of the line, but second place in rank and second place in priority (country first, self second) and their spouse DESERVES all the support that can be provided.