The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
unfortunately that was how things were done with royal daughters in the day. Alexandra who went to boarding school in ascot was the first female British Royal to attend boarding school. Even with Anne she was schooled by a governess for the first years of school, unlike her brothers, she was thirteen when sent to boarding school.

Shame, as with continental royals we see a difference. Beatrix and margrethe both had proper educations, public and boarding, and spent time at university. Not sure margrethe ever finished any university, she went to a few including Cambridge, the Sorbonne and London school of economics, but Beatrix has a law degree.

I think education needs to be made a higher importance for the heir as well as younger siblings now a days. See royals I. Asia and the Middle East and they have amazing education backgrounds. Even a future king of queen wouldn't suffer for having a good education base. Same goes for their spouse.

The only issue with an educated consort is their career. we have to remember these consorts will have to give up their own career and ambitions when they wed. It would have been easier years ago when most brudesmaid would have been looking to be a housewife anyways. But if you marry the heir, or even the sPate in most monarchies, being a riyal is your life. A woman would really have to love a man, to give up a career she was passionate about. Happens, see it with Letizia, maxima and Mathilde, but not easy. Kate is educated but didn't have a career to speak of. Compared to the wives of the hours of Kent and Gloucester. They are married to a professor and pediatrician. Would a doctor be willing yo give up ekeven years of education to cut ribbons and attend parties?pethaps, but it would not be easy to find.

I am pretty sure the era of royal women lacking a proper formal education is over. It lasted longer in the UK than in continental Europe, but eventually the UK also caught up. Beatrice and Eugenie both have university degrees and I expect Charlotte to have one too.

Many current or future European royal consorts also have degrees (e.g. Máxima, Mary, Mathilde, Letizia, Stéphanie, Kate), but there are still exceptions like Camilla (who is from an older generation) and Charlene (who was a professional athlete ).

Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Its so disheartening how some posters on a royal forum think the only royalty are the British.
At least 2 of the ones I posted were NOT British until they married and moved to the U.K.

LaRae

Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Dream consort in a dream world: Commoner from a mega rich family who would look at her husbands wealth as nothing special. Her family are overachievers who admire education (not just through books) and a hard work ethic. She is college educated and speaks a variety of languages. Had an impressive career but was willing to give it up because she saw it as a career change and not a step down.
Sounds like Claire Lademacher. I've always thought Prince Felix married very well, someone truly princess material. Though of course, we will never know how she'll do if she'd have to give up her career and be consort.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I totally second your post and (most) of your choices, but why must the consort necessarily be a commoner? If she had these exact qualities but was a princess or an aristocrat would that be a deal breaker?

[Its so disheartening how some posters on a royal forum think the only royalty are the British.]// quote

I agree, and I will add extremely IRRITATING to that!!
It's just my dream ideal consort, in my head she is a commoner. IDK why.
Though ironically in my pre 1900 dream world the royal consort is from a noble family. LoL
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think that the ideal consort should be supportive to the partner's work and interests, not trying to overshadow the partner, to keep one's own identity and be an own person, to work actively for your country and be able to talk with everyone from royals to common people, from the elderly to the children.

And that is why my ideal consort is prince Daniel. He is extremely supportive to Victoria's work and interests, a strong supporter of gender equality, he is a great father to their children, doesn't try to overshadow Victoria, and is a very social person who has no difficulties to socialize with anyone. He has kept his own identity and interests he had before he became a prince. Daniel works strongly for Sweden: in their Foundation and GEN-PEP for the health and well-being of children and young people, and with Prince Daniel's Fellowship entrepreneurial program he tries to inspire young people to become entrepreneurs, because Sweden (as every country) needs new entrepreneurs to create new jobs.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It's just my dream ideal consort, in my head she is a commoner. IDK why.
Though ironically in my pre 1900 dream world the royal consort is from a noble family. LoL
Well pre 1900, it would be totally unrealistic to expect a royal consort to be from a non noble family. Mostly they would be expected to be from royal families.. anyway.
I think the Q mother was very good, as a consort. Philip didn't really fit the mould, but he is intelligent, hard working and strong willed and has managed to do the job of supporting the queen, without giving up his own itntersts or letting the whole thing eclipse his personality.....
Old 01-01-2018, 05:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well pre 1900, it would be totally unrealistic to expect a royal consort to be from a non noble family. Mostly they would be expected to be from royal families.. anyway.
I think the Q mother was very good, as a consort. Philip didn't really fit the mould, but he is intelligent, hard working and strong willed and has managed to do the job of supporting the queen, without giving up his own itntersts or letting the whole thing eclipse his personality.....
Being a Prince of Greece and Denmark and thereby belonging to the oldest dynasty still on a European throne I'd say if he doesn't fit the mould nobody does.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

He didn't fit the mould of "ideal royal consort" as people in this thread tend to define it.. ie quiet, taking a back seat.. He is a strong personality, aggressive...
Being a royal consort does not mean that you hae to be royal
Old 01-01-2018, 05:44 AM
Majesty

What is an ideal consort? The calm, restraint, wise German countryside aristocrat who once served in Hitler's Wehrmacht and who suffered two decades of severe depressions and developed Parkinson's became the most beloved member of the Dutch Royal House: Prince Claus.

His flamboyant, extravert, colourful and so now and then dazzling daughter-in-law, daughter of a man supportive of the Argentine military Junta, is year after year the most beloved member of the Dutch Royal House: Máxima.

So what is an ideal consort? The two characters could not differ more but both turned out in ideal consorts. Another example: the daughter of a British Earl, who lived on a fabulous ancestral estate, was -on paper- a "dream candidate" but soon it cracked at all sides: Diana.

The woman "who broke" was the most unlikely choice ever but proves to be an excellent consort, without setting any foot wrong: Camilla.

So I am afraid "the ideal Consort" never will be a blueprint.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Personally i think both Q.Maxima and P.Claus might be a great consort for their respective spouses (imo in both cases it seemed like "real love" if you can judge that from afar), but both i wouldn't describe as ideal royal consorts... Claus had a lot of problems with the restrictive royal life, Maxima often overshadows her husband...
Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Yes but they (were) are the most beloved members of the Royal House. As was Prince Bernhard by the way, a quite questionable character which enjoyed periods of an almost God-like status.

I think that the answer lies in the combination, the sum of the two. When the chemistry between spouse and consort is good, then mostly it will be good also in their "working" life.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:36 AM
Serene Highness

Bringing the best about in their spouse and actively contributing to their (new) country (on a topic unique to them) and if possible on a global scale is how I would define the ideal royal spouse. To be able to do so, a loving marriage is a must and good relations with the rest of the royal family and people are essential elements.

Of the younger generation, the three roual spouses that most embody that to me are quern Máxima, prince Daniel and crown princess Mary. Their spouses clearly do better because of them and together with their respective spouses they seem to have created a loving family and serve their countries the best they can.

Máxima at times might overshadow her husband but doesn't try to assurp her husband's position in any way; instead she fully supports his role as king and is able to contribute to the world in her UN position.

Daniel isnt active on a global scale but clearly creates an environment in which Victoria and their children thrive and in the mean time he has his own themes that he advocates in Sweden.

Mary seems to have given the crown prince more self-confidence, my main issue with the couple is that they seem to spend a lot of time focussing on more trivial themes (but I assume they see that differently).