Worst European Monarch Since 1913

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ if that would warrant a nomination, then every monarch past and present would get a nomination (and we don't even know the background to that decision, all we do is make assumptions)

There has been no monarch in europe who has been perfect

After todays debacle over the lack of BRF in Brussels, I was expecting someone to nominate QEII

It was a close call :D
Just wait for the so called "boycott", bet it will be fun ...

King Constantine II, King Vittorio Emanuele III and King Alfonso XIII, for obvious reasons.

Why is this thread only for European monarchs? There are quite a few Asian and ME monarchs who could be added to the hall of shame - Hirohito of Japan for one (if it was possible I would pick him as worst) not to mention the kings of Saudi Arabia just to name some examples.

And what's with all the Tino hate? He is by no means the worst euro monarch of the C20, and there is a good case to be made in his defence - Give him a break. There's a big diff between malice, incompetence and bad luck.

That said my choice for worst European monarch of the C20 is Wilhelm II - horrible man, irresponsible, cowardly, and did huge damage to Germany.

Last edited:
King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia is one of my least favourite monarchs of last century. He was more interested in the promotion of Norodom Sihanouk than the stability of Cambodia. He abdicated so he could head his own political movement, but did not allow a new king to succeed. Ultimately he sacrificed the monarchy. I don't think he can be blamed for the rise of the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot, but his political games and shady relationship with the United States certainly didn't help. Then, decades later, he comes back as father of the nation, and restored King of Cambodia. Of all deposed monarchs to make a comeback, he was one of the least deserving.

Emperor Hirohito of Japan is for my money the worst monarch of the twentieth century if anything for driving Japan to ruin during WW2, for his role in promoting the slaughter of millions across Asia. His mulishness and refusal to surrender lead to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The worst part was that he was allowed to survive and stay emperor with others taking the blame for his role in the war. If any monarch deserved to be overthrown and punished it was Hirohito

Not the worst of monarchs since 1913 but one who made several unwise decisions during his reign was king Leopold III of the Belgians. Some decisions was forced upon him due to the WW II, others was his own fault.
Leopold III has been compared to another famous Belgian of his generation: Georges "Hergé" Remi, who was the creator of the "Tintin" comic books. They might have been cousins :)whistling:), they were both in trouble after the WWII, and they also became good enough friends to make trips abroad together. But I am in no way an expert on Leopold III, so I won't either defend him or bash him here. Let's just be happy that the Belgian monarchy survived two invasions from Germany, and a very turbulent post-war period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom