The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Why do royals marry non royals

What are the requirements for non royals marrying royals

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Because their are in love with each other!

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Courtier

They need to spread the gene pool, to avoid hereditary diseases.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Isnt there already a thread on this topic?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Courtier

The corwn prince of belgium married a royal woman, Princess Mathilde was a member of the belgian nobility , the crown prince of luxembourg married a woman of the belgian nobility too. The current crown prince of lichtenstein marries the princess of Bayern, prince Hamzahs first marriage was with a princess too:) the princes and princesses of the gulf states marries with princesses and princes of the other gulf states :) Some royal members marries royals
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Commoner

Why do royals marry non-royals? My guess is to prevent a repeat of WWI

This is a pretty valid question. If you take into consideration several of the disappointing royal-commoner relationships throughout Europe in recent years, it might give one cause for pause. However, I am of the belief that "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

At the start of the 20th century, Germany had produced several "eligible" (the only qualification, she was a princess) consorts for various thrones throughout Europe (Sweden, Greece and Russia). Not to mention, the half-German "Grandmama of Europe" (Queen Victoria) had no less than 7 grandchildren sitting on (or near) many of these thrones which created something of a family of nations. Flash-forward a dozen years into the new century and you have cousins on both sides of the fence, trying to kill each other off. Revolution gripped a few, grizzly murders took off others. It was total chaos everywhere that something had to give.

Enter the very British King George V. Backed by astute-minded advisors and forward-thinking politicians, he assessed the social/cultural/political climate of the moment and took swift action in "modernizing" the British monarchy. Beginning with the change in the royal name from the German Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the more patriotic and thoroughly English Windsor, the king reinvented his dynasty and ensured that by taking simple, unaffected steps (such as permitting his own children to marry their fellow countrymen, rather than foreign royals of probable German descent), his throne would be safeguarded for generations to come.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think royals set out to marry someone who is non-royal or make it their plan to do so. Falling in Love is probably the most common reason why they marry a non-royal. In countries where marriages are not arranged, usually this is the reason why people marry in general.

To my knowledge no book or manual exists on what the requirement(s) would be to be a royal bride as this would vary from country to country. Certain things of course would be expected of them as it would anyone who married into royalty.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Simple. Because they can and that's the person they're in love with.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Royals marry non-royals, whatever royal, actually, is because in this century they have realized that it is foolish to marry people, just because they are related to one place or another. They, also, realized, intermarriage causes many undesirable traits in humans. Today, we have a refreshing group of lovely women who have married into the western monarchial system. They have brought style, class and an openness, that has kept these monarchies in place.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Until recently, if a Prince or Princess of Brazil decided to marry a commoner, he or she would have had to renounce his/her rights to the Throne (even with Brazil being a Republic for more than a century), but things seems to be changing.

Princess Amélia of Brazil, fifth in the Line of Succession, will marry a Scottish commoner, James Spearman, next year, and seems that she'll keep her Dynastic rights.

I have to reckon that only now I'm starting to embrace such a change.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

What rules there are on the subject differs greatly per family, i'm sure there still are some royal families (non-reigning maybe more often than reigning) who would still prefer a royal spouse (when someone wants to remain in line of the inheritance etc).
However, in many royal families it hasn't been an issue for ages...
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure that most royal families would like it if their child or children married into other royal households but at the same time they realize that this may not always been the best choice of spouse. Someone who is royal may not be suitable or a good match for their child or their family. A person who isn't royal but comes from a good family background and who can handle the pressures of being royal or who can adapt to the family dynamics might be or would be a much better choice for a spouse.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Royals marry non-royals, whatever royal, actually, is because in this century they have realized that it is foolish to marry people, just because they are related to one place or another. They, also, realized, intermarriage causes many undesirable traits in humans. Today, we have a refreshing group of lovely women who have married into the western monarchial system. They have brought style, class and an openness that has kept these monarchies in place.
Very true, I also believe that the commoners who have married into royal families are a breath of fresh air and most of them have done pretty well in their job. We have Queen Silvia,Queen Sonja,Queen Maxima,CP Letizia,CP Mary,CP Mette-Marit,Duchess of Cambridge any many more who seem to have adjusted quite well into the royal life.
I would not like to miss anyone of them :-) To be fair, we also have to give credit to the men who have married into a RF-like Prince Daniel,who is such a lovely husband and father!

I believe that the royals simply "fall in love" with a certain person, just like anyone else does, regardless of who they are or what sort of social class they come from....the only difference is that nowadays they are allowed to marry someone regardless of social class or background.
It seems to be much easier for royals to find personal happiness today-when we look back in history we read about many arranged marriages between royals who were absolutely mis-matched,they had to suffer a lot from the consequences of these unfortunate marriages and I am glad that the modern royals do not have to live with so much misery.
. Helen Keller
Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Serene Highness

Royals today have more access to commoners than they did 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. In most countries they was a very rigid social order which would not allow this or severely restricted it.

A Prince or Princess or royal can go to college and met someone who isn't royal, fall in love with them and get married. This wasn't possible 100 years ago or even 50 years ago.

For centuries royals or others knew that some of these matches weren't good but they weren't thinking about the couple. A lot of it had to do with how it would benefit the family economically, socially or politically and this often was at the expense of the couple wants or needs which sad to say they really didn't care about. Continuing the royal line by having children was the most important thing to them, above all else and if the couple was mismatched, disliked each other, oh well, such is life.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Why do royals marry non royals?

Why not? Why do men marry women? Royals are also human only. And if love is in the air.....

Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Majesty

The downside to marrying commoners is that if they are able to marry the 'girl next door' why should they have more privileges that the girl on the other side?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I'm sure that most royal families would like it if their child or children married into other royal households but at the same time they realize that this may not always been the best choice of spouse. Someone who is royal may not be suitable or a good match for their child or their family. A person who isn't royal but comes from a good family background and who can handle the pressures of being royal or who can adapt to the family dynamics might be or would be a much better choice for a spouse.
I agree with this.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

Iluvbertie, as long as there is a thread of royal genes in each generation (getting less with every generation) I guess the public thinks they are royal, this being as much familial tradition as actual bloodline, the girl next door who marries the prince will become royal.
I hope they NEVER return to marrying their cousins. It's a scandal which is prohibited by their own church, but they broke church law for generations.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

I would imagine the ways things are going that in the next 100 years or so, you will have very very few European royals who actually have strong royal blood lines or the blood line will be distant. Most likely they still would be among the elite in their country but would be non-reigning for the most part. They will have stories to tell their family about the days when their families were reigning royalty. There will be interesting stories just as people in the United States who are descended from US presidents have interesting stories and many of these individuals are among the elite in the United States.

A good example of this is actor Tom Hanks who is distantly related to Abraham Lincoln via Nancy Hanks who was Lincoln's mother. Interesting story.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I have thought about the scenario of gradually disappearing Royal bloodlines and in a sense it makes me very sad. These Royals form a living, human link taking us back in time and history as a connection to their cultures, and their often glorious history.

Once that disappears and we have only ties linking back to average everyday people, there will actually be very little to justify keeping the various Royal families even as a symbol. It's why I hope the current generation of Royal children will revive the custom of marrying nobility and Royals....even if it's only a brief revival.

Otherwise, from an historical and genealogical perspective what is the point?

I too am very fascinated by the Tom Hanks/Abraham Lincoln blood ties.