The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Its not that they speak English and other families don't (they do), its that the British Empire/Commonwealth spread the English language around the world providing a historic/cultural link that other European royal families don't have to the same extend. The only family comparable would be the Spanish royal family due to their historic links with Latin America.
That though doesn't explain why they are so popular just because they are British, which is what prinz_von_buzim explained. They spread the English language across the globe, by founding an Empire.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #22  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
prinz_von_buzim's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Posts: 9
Do you people really think that it's because they ruled big part of the world? Russia is the biggest country in world, and Russian Empire was even bigger, and where is russian influence? Russian influence stayed only in countries which belonged to Russia once. But none of European countries has ever belonged to British Empire, and Windsor family is still the most popular and the best known. So I think it is not because of historical influence but because of modern influence. Popularity of British family have roots in general popularity and supremacy of anglo-american culture which is spread through music and movies.
__________________

__________________
  #23  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,396
That's what I meant NGalitzine, when I said because they speak english. Most of the international news circulated in the world come from agencies with English as their lingua franca, thus they serve primarily news regarding the Windsors. It also helps that nowadays almost everyone speaks English, however not everyone speaks Danish, or Dutch or Swedish, ergo not everyone is able to follow other RFs from original sources.
__________________
  #24  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That though doesn't explain why they are so popular just because they are British, which is what prinz_von_buzim explained. They spread the English language across the globe, by founding an Empire.
Actually I think if you re-read my post you will find we are saying much the same thing. The Empire spread the English language around the world thus creating a linguistic/cultural/historic link that remains today.
__________________
  #25  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Some City, United States
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Hmmm...not really sure what you mean about Palo Alto and Berkeley.

Since I was very much around during everything I have listed I do know that the BRF was followed in the US Press in the way I have said - and I was one of the young people interested - a very long ways away from Palo Alto. I recall watching the Investiture on television, I recall watching Princess Anne's wedding with the same wrapped attention as I would years later with Prince Charles' wedding.

To be honest I don't think there is an 'average' American who cares about Diana's charity work. Diana was famous - pure and simple - for her looks and her sexy wardrobe - that's it. Personal physical attributes made Diana famous - and because she was married to the heir to the British Throne - charity work (its always pretty fuzzy to an 'average' American what the royal is actually doing) and personality were side points. She had a nice smile - that's not personality.
I completely agree. If Diana were an ugly as sin, nobody would care about her charity work. You didn't see Mother Teresa on the front cover of every glossy. They both died in the same week, and look at the differences in media coverage.

As for the popularity of the BRF, its popularity is no longer due to Diana, except for her fan base. Memories are very, very short lived and it's been 15 years. People over college age are not old enough to have been aware of current events during the Diana years.

Its popularity is now due to the hard work of the Queen and its senior members, and the celebrity factor of the up and comings. Plus, people like to watch the births and weddings etc of a family. Some of it is pride, some of it is respect, and some of it is just plain fun that make them popular.
__________________
  #26  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Actually I think if you re-read my post you will find we are saying much the same thing.
I did read your post and I saw you comment about the Empire. I just wrote the comment in a different way.
However, the royals are not popular because they are British. Which was the start of the conversation. Nor do I believe they are popular because they speak English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
Do you people really think that it's because they ruled big part of the world? Russia is the biggest country in world, and Russian Empire was even bigger, and where is russian influence?
At its height the Russian Empire (1866) was 23,700,000 km2, at the height of the British Empire (1922) it was 33,700,000 km2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
Popularity of British family have roots in general popularity and supremacy of anglo-american culture which is spread through music and movies.
One thing you can't say about the BRF is that they are popular because of a spread through movies and music. That ties in with the fact that they speak English and as you proclaim 90% of movies and music are in english or based in the USA or UK.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #27  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by layla01 View Post
Hi all,
Celebrating the Diamond jubilee, I wonder how come international media is always covering the british royal family, but hardly mention the other royal families.
Why do you think that is?
Thanks
How about because the international media giants are largely based in countries that are or were once part of the British Empire/Commonwealth. They have a cultural and historic linkage to their former mother country and its monarchy, and members of the BRF travel regularly to these nations.
Books are published around the world about members of the BRF, past and present, movies and tv series (fictional and non-fictional) are made about their lives. Their lives, through the media, appear larger than life. Common celebrities come and go but the BRF just carries on.
__________________
  #28  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 352
Cultural ties and language. The Queen is the queen of 16 countries. I think the Commonwealth numbers around 64 countries. There was a time when much of the world was coloured pink on a map (the Empire.) The USA is a friend, we fought side by side in world wars. Britain was once the dominant world power - that influence has not completely gone.
__________________
  #29  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 188
They're good looking actors and actresses in a real-life soap opera that is totally harmless and entertaining. They have no historical baggage; unlike so many other monarchs, the BRF has been a figurehead, rather than an active participant in government, for hundreds of years.

There was an article on RealClearPolitics.com yesterday showing that the BRF's approval rating in the US is perhaps even higher than in the UK.
__________________
  #30  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
They have no historical baggage; unlike so many other monarchs,
The BRF has quite a bit of historical baggage.

I rather like this thread, thank you layla01 for creating it.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #31  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
prinz_von_buzim's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I did read your post and I saw you comment about the Empire. I just wrote the comment in a different way.
However, the royals are not popular because they are British. Which was the start of the conversation. Nor do I believe they are popular because they speak English.


At its height the Russian Empire (1866) was 23,700,000 km2, at the height of the British Empire (1922) it was 33,700,000 km2.



One thing you can't say about the BRF is that they are popular because of a spread through movies and music. That ties in with the fact that they speak English and as you proclaim 90% of movies and music are in english or based in the USA or UK.

Hm, but it is connected with popularity of english language and anglo-american dominance in music and movies. Maybe I am mistaking, because i don't know exactly how is situation in other countries, but I know how it is in my country.


I live in Croatia, which was kingdom that joined Habsburg Empire in year 1527. So from 1527 to 1918 it was ruled by Habsburgs. Even today, 100 years after, german language is the widest spread foreign language in Croatia. Between young people, english is number 1, and german number 2, but when you look on entire population, including older people, german is the most spoken foreign language in Croatia. From the other hand, Croatia never had any british influence through it's history.

However, everyone here knows who is british queen and windsors are popular as in every other country. But no one knows who is the head of the House of Habsburg at this moment. Also, no one knows (and even I didn't know long time) that his son has name Ferdinand Zvonimir (Zvonimir was the name of croatian king from 11th century) and that he was baptised in Zagreb Cathedral by archbishop of Zagreb.


So, explain me, how can that be if not because of movies. I am repeating, during history british influence didn't exist here at all, while austro-german was very strong. So how comes?
__________________
  #32  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The BRF has quite a bit of historical baggage.
Not to my knowledge, at least outside the UK.

Compare the BRF with the Habsburgs, Hohenzollerns, Greek royal family, Italian royal family, etc. The BRF hasn't operated as a dictator; it hasn't taken sides politically in centuries; etc.
__________________
  #33  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM
AlanR's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom
Posts: 9
I don't believe they are.....

Denmark and holland also have truly amazing Monarchs but I truly believe in the UK we never get news feeds for any other Royal family.

We had no news on the Dutch Prince nor the 40th Jubilee for Denmark...

God bless all Monarchs...........
__________________
  #34  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
However, everyone here knows who is british queen and windsors are popular as in every other country. But no one knows who is the head of the House of Habsburg at this moment. Also, no one knows (and even I didn't know long time) that his son has name Ferdinand Zvonimir (Zvonimir was the name of croatian king from 11th century) and that he was baptised in Zagreb Cathedral by archbishop of Zagreb.
Am I right in thinking the House of Habsburg fell in the 1700's? I don't see why anyone would know who the head of the house is when it fell over 200 years ago. Croatia has a president yes? I bet you can tell me his name, and maybe even his sons name if he has one. I personally wouldn't want to know about information that is of little use to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
So, explain me, how can that be if not because of movies. I am repeating, during history british influence didn't exist here at all, while austro-german was very strong. So how comes?
I am assuming that you know of Queen Elizabeth because of "movies"? (if so which one's because I haven't seen her in any?) I know her obviously because she is my Queen, most of the world knows the BRF because they were once colonies ruled by the previous Monarchs. I don't know how it is in other countries besides Croatia and the UK, how they knew about the British Royals?

Posters from different countries, how did you come about knowing the BRF? Movies, language, magazines? Or did you just "know" them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
Not to my knowledge, at least outside the UK.

Compare the BRF with the Habsburgs, Hohenzollerns, Greek royal family, Italian royal family, etc. The BRF hasn't operated as a dictator; it hasn't taken sides politically in centuries; etc.
It has no "political" baggage, but if take a glimpse into history and see the abdication, the mistresses, the name changes, the (current) divorces, money issues, the general all round scandals that family has baggage and HM has done a grand job of making up for her predecessors errors.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #35  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
The Hapsburgs rules until 1918.
__________________
  #36  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: huddersfiled, United Kingdom
Posts: 2
this discussion is obviously very US centered ;)

Thanks for all the good answers. I guess the English language and culture is probably part of the answer, not to mention the empire.

However, I still wonder if in other states with royal families you will find such enthusiasm about the royal family as in the UK.
__________________
  #37  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
prinz_von_buzim's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rijeka, Croatia
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Am I right in thinking the House of Habsburg fell in the 1700's? I don't see why anyone would know who the head of the house is when it fell over 200 years ago. Croatia has a president yes? I bet you can tell me his name, and maybe even his sons name if he has one. I personally wouldn't want to know about information that is of little use to me.



I am assuming that you know of Queen Elizabeth because of "movies"? (if so which one's because I haven't seen her in any?) I know her obviously because she is my Queen, most of the world knows the BRF because they were once colonies ruled by the previous Monarchs. I don't know how it is in other countries besides Croatia and the UK, how they knew about the British Royals?

Posters from different countries, how did you come about knowing the BRF? Movies, language, magazines? Or did you just "know" them?



It has no "political" baggage, but if take a glimpse into history and see the abdication, the mistresses, the name changes, the (current) divorces, money issues, the general all round scandals that family has baggage and HM has done a grand job of making up for her predecessors errors.

You are wrong, Habsburgs didn't fell in 1700's but in 1918 (as i mentioned in my post) after WW1. So not even 100 years have passed.


Yes, I know the name of my president as everyone knows the name of his president. But the fact is that british royal family just IS more popular than others. I don't remember exact name of movies because I generally don't watch movies much. But 90% of movies about history are taking place in England. I also know that here on TV was british royal wedding live. On TV were also documentaries about british monarchs, serials too (like the one about Tudors) and so on, and so on... Robin Hood is also english, isn't he? And Mr Bean, maybe one of the most popular comedians, in one episode he is meeting british queen.
__________________
  #38  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,373
No one (I think) has mentioned Edward and mrs Simpson. That started real interest. Excuse typing got keyboard probs.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #39  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
You are wrong, Habsburgs didn't fell in 1700's but in 1918 (as i mentioned in my post) after WW1. So not even 100 years have passed.
That would be the Habsburg Monarchy who ruled Austria until 1918. The Austrian branch fell in 1740, just did some checking. I didn't know Croatia was ruled by Habsburgs until 1918?


Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz_von_buzim View Post
Yes, I know the name of my president as everyone knows the name of his president. But the fact is that british royal family just IS more popular than others. I don't remember exact name of movies because I generally don't watch movies much. But 90% of movies about history are taking place in England. I also know that here on TV was british royal wedding live. On TV were also documentaries about british monarchs, serials too (like the one about Tudors) and so on, and so on... Robin Hood is also english, isn't he? And Mr Bean, maybe one of the most popular comedians, in one episode he is meeting british queen.
Robin Hood and Mr Bean do very little to promote the popularity of the British Monarchy.

Yes they are popular, the question was why?
The British Royal wedding was apparently watched by 122 million people, in comparison it was reported that 750 million watched the wedding of Charles and Diana. Popularity might be decreasing?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #40  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
chelly's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 158
We have more outlets to watch it, so that might be the the reason for the different ratings. I thought I had heard that W/C wedding had higher ratings.


I think part of the popularity is the fact that we import and export alot from each other. Though of course that doesn't explain why the BRF is popular, but it might be part of the reason. That and the history between our two countries.

The problem is also the media I think expects us to only want to know about the BRF, so they don't really give us a chance to learn about the others.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]