Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lox

Commoner
City
-
Country
Sweden
Do you think that there is any country in the world that will become a monarchy - again or for the first time? Personally, I think that it probably won’t happen, but if I have to choose one country, I would say:

Serbia. This country has been through so much and maybe the current pretender Alexander could be a unifying force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_II_Karadjordjevic

In Asia, perhaps Vietnam will become a monarchy again in a very distant future. Compare with the recent restoration of the monarchy in Cambodia.

I agree with both. Serbia for definate, Vietnam is also a 70/30% IMO

Among the native Hawaiians there is great support for the restoration of the monarchy. Also, I think Tahiti could perhaps see it's royal family back on the throne.

Iain said:
Among the native Hawaiians there is great support for the restoration of the monarchy.
But that would mean that Hawaii would have to secede from the USA and become an independent nation, right? Or can a state in the USA choose to have a hereditary governorship?

I am pretty sure that Hawaii would have to cede because there is only one form of government in the US-and it is elected, not hereditary

Lox said:
But that would mean that Hawaii would have to secede from the USA and become an independent nation, right? Or can a state in the USA choose to have a hereditary governorship?

I was in Hawaii in 1992 at the time of the Centennial of the USA overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy. There was a notice in our hotel room that this was generally treated as a mourning period for native Hawaiians so please respect it. The Iolani(sp?) Palace was draped in black & there was a stage set up on the grounds to play their native music. There were also some people making speeches. When we were there, the speaker started talking about seceding from the US & being independent again. Only some of the native people applauded. We then went across the street, as we felt it wasn't our place to be there. We asked our bus driver about this movement to secede as he was a native Hawaiian. He said it is only a small group of hardliners that are pushing for it. The rest of Hawaiians realize the benefits of being part of the US. He said they would never be able to protect themselves from some other government (read Japan) from coming in & doing the same thing. Plus, they now have the benefit of being one of the few tropical places that Americans don't need a passport to get to. I was there again in 1997 & not a word was said about secession.

Last edited:
personally, i don't think any country will become a monarchy again. Too much history has happen and times have changed.

Realistically, I have to agree with Eliza. But then again, I have to hope. The one country I can really believe to become a monarchy would be Serbia. The crown prince and princess are active and raise money for Serbia, and he has made it clear that he would love to be the monarch.

LadyK said:
Realistically, I have to agree with Eliza. But then again, I have to hope. The one country I can really believe to become a monarchy would be Serbia. The crown prince and princess are active and raise money for Serbia, and he has made it clear that he would love to be the monarch.

I agree. Prince and princess are very active in my country (Serbia) and most of the people would love monarchy, but I don't think that's going to happen. Our politicians are fighting too much as it is and the last thing they want is thinking about monarchs taking their places and political points. (not that monarchs would have acctual power, but still...)

(PS: to moderators: you can separate Serbia & Montenegro on a list of countries. We're not the same country any more)

I have to agree with Eliza and LadyK.

I concur with Eliza, LadyK, Miss Saga, and Shappica. Unfortunately, any chance of a monarchy returning either as a former kingdom, principality, or duchy is pretty much zero.

As much as I admire institution itself (not always the individual) for me it's the historical significance, tradition, pomp, and grandeur. On the other hand, the world has evolved to which many people do not share my viewpoint.

Essentially, for many, they view a monarchy is an anachronism. It just simply doesn't work in this day and age. For some people, not all. So the question is: Does monarchy have a place in the world besides the above mentioned statement (pomp, grandeur, etc.) If anything a monarchy does bind the people of a nation together, a shared national identity, that essentially unites people during questionable times and so forth.

Nonetheless, a country such as Denmark should keep their insitution. The Danes love them, as do many others who are not Danish, so why get rid of them?

Add me to " No chance" list .Although I admire the constitutinal monarchy,I don't excpect any country to change or restore its monarchy.BUT,I wish to see Italy as monarchy with King Emmanuelle Filiberto and Queen Clotide de Savoia.

Question...
-What are he chances of France becoming a constitutional monarchy? I woke up this morning to hear that Nickolas Scarkozy is the new president of France and that there were riots throughout Paris contesting against him [I know its probly just a one off thing but...I havn't heard a lot of nice things about him].
-Hungary?
[not a dual monarchy...What is the [political] atmosphere like in Austria and Hungary?]
-Austria?

GlitteringTiaras said:
I concur with Eliza, LadyK, Miss Saga, and Shappica. Unfortunately, any chance of a monarchy returning either as a former kingdom, principality, or duchy is pretty much zero.

Nonetheless, a country such as Denmark should keep their insitution. The Danes love them, as do many others who are not Danish, so why get rid of them?

I agree that the chances of a monarchy returning are extremely low so my guess or choice is purely dreamwishing but I would like to see Greece as a monarchy again though it does not seem many among the Greek people are very fond of that idea.

There are actually debates discussing whether or not we should have a monarchy here in Denmark in the future and I´m completely frustrated with the idea of not having our royal family. I love them as do many Danes aswell so hopefully it won´t become reality as long as I live

flctylu said:
Question...
-What are he chances of France becoming a constitutional monarchy? I woke up this morning to hear that Nickolas Scarkozy is the new president of France and that there were riots throughout Paris contesting against him [I know its probly just a one off thing but...I havn't heard a lot of nice things about him].

Not so sure what you have heard but lets just look at the facts as far as the new president of France is concerned. This was a run-off election and he was a clear favorite. Plus the amount of the French public that actually voted was incredibly high. For example the percentage of the population that took part in voting was around 85% compared to the USA in 2004 that only had 54% participate in the vote. When you look at those numbers and the fact that there was a run-off it seems quite obvious to me that the majority of the French public were actively involved in choosing their new president. As for the riots yes that made news here in America also. But lets keep things in perspective, the news is always looking for NEWS. If they can exploit a very small thing they will. And no matter who was elected some people were bound to be upset. I do not see France becoming a monarchy any time soon. Although they do seem to need some changes but not that kind of changes.

The last time a monarchy had been restored it was back in 1993. Cambodia was the country that went from a republic back to a monarchy. In this time in age I do not see it happening .People love being more involued in politics and government and actually choosing their leader instead of having a hereditary leader.

You have forgotten about Uganda.Uganda had several very influential monarchies that were self-governing right up until 1966,when Milton Obote & Idi Amin overthrew Kabaka Mutesa II,who was also the first President of Uganda (1963-66).Milton Obote went ahead & abolished all the kingdoms,which caused a lot of resentment,especially from the Baganda.

In 1993,the kingdoms were restored,albeit,with ceremonial functions.The Kingdom of Buganda has gone one step further & reestablished its own Parliament,even thought that technically breaches the Ugandan Constitution.

Here's a link to the website of the Kingdom of Buganda; Buganda Home Page - main page .

There is a possibility that both Ethiopia & Laos will one day restore their monarchies.

Aidan.

I would really like to see the Ethiopian monarchy restored with a parliament of corse.

sirhon11234 said:
I would really like to see the Ethiopian monarchy restored with a parliament of corse.

Yeah... Jah Bless! King of Kings, Lord of Lords conquoring lion of the tribe of Judah! Jah Rastafari!

(with parliament, of course :) )

I don't think there's any way to truly and accurately predict which nation will or won't go back to being a monarchy. As a student of history and political science, I've always believed that any country that has the institution of monarchy as part of its national heritage should maintain that institution at all costs. Not to do so only invites political and social chaos and/or the establishment of dictatorships: Germany, Russia, Italy, Spain, Greece, the Balkans, etc. I think that in any of these countries, and in others, there is a real possibility that monarchy could be restored. But then the question becomes: should the monarchy be restored? In the 21st century, monarchy must reinvent and redefine itself. As much as many of us who are monarchists may pine for the days before WWI, when 9/10ths of the world's citizens were ruled by monarchs, we must also admit that it wasn't a very democratic world. I think most of us that are monarchists are also democrats...as in, we believe in the democratic process. The monarch must now represent not only a nation's history, but also the nation's democracy. Alexander of Serbia and Simeon of Bulgaria are two that I can think of off the top of my head who should be restored. They have proven democratic credentials. I think Serbia and Bulgaria would benefit from having their monarchies restored. In other countries, I'm not so sure. In Italy, the Savoys are done for. In Greece, I don't think there's any chance at all. But in those countries, and in countries like Germany and Austria, which are now quite comfortable as republics, there might be a sort of "crowned republic." An official recognition of the former dynasty; inviting the ranking representative of that dynasty to state events; using the pretender to the throne (call them Prince of Germany, Prince of Portugal, Archduke of Austria, etc.) for official overseas functions. In this way, the modern majority who are republicans are not offended by having an hereditary arrangement re-established and those who are monarchists are able to sate their desire to have their nation's royalty recognized. It's a half measure, but it's better than nothing. And perhaps, through this half measure, with deposed royal families proving themselves and their value and worth, they might pave the way towards their eventual restoration. Who would have thought that after decades of dictatorship in Spain, King Juan Carlos would have proven such a success? He earned respect over the years he spent in Spain under Franco working for the Spanish people...and then later, in defending Spain's democracy when faced with a coup attempt. And who would have thought that after the genocide of the communists under Pol Pot that a king would reign again in Cambodia? Anythig is possible...politics, afterall, is called the "art of the possible." The world is made up mostly of republics at the moment...but 20, 50, 100 years from now, maybe there will be a lot more people shouting "God Save the King...or Tsar...or Emperor...or Sultan..." We'll just have to wait and see.

orrinhoover said:
a sort of "crowned republic." An official recognition of the former dynasty; inviting the ranking representative of that dynasty to state events; using the pretender to the throne (call them Prince of Germany, Prince of Portugal, Archduke of Austria, etc.) for official overseas functions. In this way, the modern majority who are republicans are not offended by having an hereditary arrangement re-established and those who are monarchists are able to sate their desire to have their nation's royalty recognized. It's a half measure, but it's better than nothing. And perhaps, through this half measure, with deposed royal families proving themselves and their value and worth, they might pave the way towards their eventual restoration. Who would have thought that after decades of dictatorship in Spain, King Juan Carlos would have proven such a success?
I think that would be a good idea/plan to have set aside - if the mood changes or so to speak in those former republics, both sides win.

flctylu said:
Question...
-Hungary?
[not a dual monarchy...What is the [political] atmosphere like in Austria and Hungary?]
-Austria?

I can't speak for Hungary (apart from asking myself who would be their king, given the fact that their king used to be the Austrian emperor, so there is no contender of their own - as far as I know. ???)

Austria (my country) - I don't think a reestablishment of the monarchy is likely. Sure, as far as tourism goes, we profit hugely from our
"imperial past". If you walk through Vienna, this past is THERE and is worth a lot of entrance tickets. And most Austrians would agree that we had our share of great monarchs - Maria Theresia, Joseph II, even Franz Joseph. There is even a small number of monarchists and Bad Ischl (where Franz Joseph spent his summer holidays) actually celebrates his birthday (I think this is some sort of cargo cult - celebrate the Emperor and maybe lots of worshippers will come and leave lots of money in the hands of the local pub owners). Even Otto (son to the last emperor) has become some sort of Grand Old Man of European Unification just by surviving until today and speaking German with a beautiful accent. But the current chief of the Haus Habsburg is seen as a bit of a joke, as was the recent beatification of Karl (last Emperor) on account of his healing a nun's varicose veins. Well. And other assorted miracles.
I believe that most Austrians think our politicians are one huge joke - but that at least we can get rid of them.
I agree with other people who in this thread argued that times simply have changed and that a re-establishment of a monarchy is unlikely.

France is a monarchal republic

flctylu said:
Question...

The riots in Paris have nothing to do with the constitution of France but all with the tough and draconic measures the new President announced to wake up France out of its social-economic lethargy. France is still largely a old-style welfare state which is a heavy burden for the taxpayer. But opposition against any reform (and there were countless attempts) is strong.

France is a monarchal republic: in everything it is a monarchy, but there is no monarch. I remember a commentator saying on television when Queen Beatrix and President Mitterrand entered an auditorium: "Look, there are the King of France and the President of the Netherlands".
:lol:

While the Dutch Queen was friendly and accessible, the French president looked deadly serious and most affable and gave the impression as if he was the reincarnation of Louis le Grand (the Sun King): L'État, c'est moi.

By the way: Nicolas Paul Stéphane Sarkozy (originally: Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa) is of old Hungarian aristocracy, the Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa family is noble since 1628.

Nobility is not unknown at the presidential palace (Palais de l'Élysée)

Former "First Lady" Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel is of noble descent: she is a daughter of Jean-Louis Baron Chodron de Courcel and of Marguerite Comtesse de Brondeau d'Urtières.

Former "First Lady"Anne-Aymone Giscard d'Estaing-Sauvage de Brantes is of noble descent: she is a daughter of François Comte Sauvage de Brantes and of Aymone Princesse de Faucigny-Lucinge.

Also a lot of the policians in France are of noble descent. In the present French Republic, nobility has no official and protected statute, like it has in the Netherlands or in Spain. The titles are not mentioned in official documents so the passport will, for an example, read 'Faucigny-Lucinge, Aymone de', without mentioning her title.

Last edited:
Adding to the information Henri has provided, Prince Michel Poniatowski (of the eminent Polish princely family) was a Minister of the Interior under Giscard d"Estaing.
Reinforcing the French connection, his mother was a princess of Caraman-Chimay.

Is the Giscard d'Estaing family noble btw? Or is it one of these unclear french 'noble' families, like the Laborde de Montpezats?
-
According to several serious sources a son of Giscard d'Estaing was about to get engaged with princess Margaretha of Luxembourg (now of Liechtenstein), but it was cancelled.

From my understanding it is euphemistically "unclear". It is known that the President's grandfather added d'Estaing to the family name of Giscard in 1922, taking advantage of a very distant family connection.

Examples of French nobles, out of my mind, in national politics are Hervé de Charette de la Condrie, Josselin de Rohan-Chabot, the previous Premier Minister Dominique Galouzeau de Villepin, the presidential candidate (who lost in the first round) Philippe le Jolis de Villiers de Santignon, etc.

Isn't Villepin also one of the 'unclear' nobles? I believe Point de Vue had an issue about real and false nobles in French politics, not to long ago. Mr de Villepin was given a red mark by Point de Vue...

Marengo said:
Isn't Villepin also one of the 'unclear' nobles? I believe Point de Vue had an issue about real and false nobles in French politics, not to long ago. Mr de Villepin was given a red mark by Point de Vue...

Dominique Galouzeau de Villepin is a false noble. However, madame de Villepin, born Marie-Laure Le Guay is a real noble.

Henri M. said:

Former "First Lady" Bernadette Chirac-Chodron de Courcel is of noble descent: she is a daughter of Jean-Louis Baron Chodron de Courcel and of Marguerite Comtesse de Brondeau d'Urtières.

Except for the princely families, women belonging to noble families have no right to bear titles in France. Marguerite de Brondeau d'Urtières had no right to bear the countly title.

Back
Top Bottom