Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Technically has happened in the past. Camboadia restored its monarchy in 1993, after the fall of communism.

I think Serbia has a possible chance, most polls show that they support an restoration of the monarchy.
Albania is also extremely possible, their was an referendum in 1997 on restoring the monarchy that came out with 65% approval, though the republican elitist's couldn't bare the idea of them losing power so they faked the numbers and unfortunately the current pretender (Prince Leka's son) as no interest in pursing the throne. The Duke of Braganza in Portugal is also well respected but many politicians, republicans and monarchists alike, so there is a possibility of a restoration of a Portuguese monarchy.

I read someone (please correct me if I'm wrong) that in Hungary there's a political movement (a far right party) that would like to restore the ancient monarchy (before the Habsburg)
and what about Bulgaria? King Simeon is extremely loved and he ruled the country as a politician...wouldn't Bulgarians want to have him back to his throne?

Last edited:
Who is the hungarian pretender if not the Head of the House of Habsburg?

Serbia and Romania will restore their monarchies within this decade, I think.

I heard the monarchist are getting stronger in Brazil and Portugal, because the republics there are such a mess.

Serbia and Romania will restore their monarchies within this decade, I think.

I heard the monarchist are getting stronger in Brazil and Portugal, because the republics there are such a mess.

The current pretender to the Austrian Throne is Karl von Habsburg/Archduke Karl of Austria. You can find out more about him here: Karl von Habsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. His successor is Archduke Ferdinand Zvonimir/Ferdinand Zvonimir von Habsburg. Just in case you're interested, Cory created a thread about the popularity of the idea of a restoration in Austria: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f210/restoration-of-monarchy-in-austria-31522-9.html. :flowers:

I agree about Serbia and Romania. I'm almost 100% sure that Romania will restore its monarchy sometime in the future; apparently almost 1,000 people turned up for King Michael's birthday celebrations last year at Elisabetta Palace in Bucharest. That just goes to show that there's quite a bit of support for the monarchy.

I've also heard that about Brazil, but not Portugal. I've read that the Brazilian Monarchists strongly respect the Imperial Family.

Personally, I would like to see the Greek Monarchy restored, but I doubt that will happen. I was thinking about Italy the other day. It would be interesting to know what our Italian members think about this. Do you think that Italy, or one of its Duchies, will ever restore their monarchy?

Last edited:

István Horthy de Nagybánya II

The Hungarians did not want a Habsburg and picked a noble to be monarch from 1921-44 - Miklos Horthy. Istvan was his grandson and heir when he resigned in 1944.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/István_Horthy,_Jr.

They could also return the monarchy with a different noble - see

The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg > The Habsburgs of Hungary (past and present)

Personally, I would like to see the Greek Monarchy restored, but I doubt that will happen. I was thinking about Italy the other day. It would be interesting to know what our Italian members think about this. Do you think that Italy, or one of its Duchies, will ever restore their monarchy?

I'd like to see the Greek Monarchy restored as well but I don't know the present political situation in Greece and if there's a monarchist movement strong enough to support king Constantine or his son.
About Italy...I think we will never have the monarchy back. In Italy there's (as I said before) a monarchist movement but they're all considered kind of freaks...
it's something that will frankly never be considered as a chance....even in the hardest political crisis. and unless there's a coup d'état there's no mechanism to restore the King. A referendum would be considered immediately unconstitutional, since there's an article in the Italian Constitution that declares the Republic the only acceptable form of government
and in the end..the mojority of people in Italy consider Vittorio Emanuele and his son Emanuele Filiberto more as socialites rather than members of our royal family (to be polite)

As to the initial question:Lybia!It has the right cards and environment for a change towards the Monarchy again.Plus talks are held as to decide under what circumstances etc etc this would become a fact.

István Horthy de Nagybánya II

The Hungarians did not want a Habsburg and picked a noble to be monarch from 1921-44 - Miklos Horthy. Istvan was his grandson and heir when he resigned in 1944.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/István_Horthy,_Jr.

If Hungary should decide to become monarchy once again I doubt Istvan Horthy would be a serious pretender to the throne. I googled him and it seems that he converted to islam 1965 and took the name Sharif. Later he joined a spiritual movement called the 'Subud'.
According to a 2011 census only 0,06% of the Hungarians are muslims, wheras more than 50% are christians (Catholic, lutheran, orthodox and others). In my oppinion it would be strange to have king who in religious matters belongs to a minority. I have to emphasize that I have no problem with islam - I just think it would be strange if a the soverign of a country belongs to a religious minority.

I'd like to see the Greek Monarchy restored as well but I don't know the present political situation in Greece and if there's a monarchist movement strong enough to support king Constantine or his son.

Unfortunately I can't see that happening, not because of the political situation in Greece, but the Greek Royals themselves. I currently live in London with my wife (children are all now in their 20s/ late teens and have left), we have both retired early and bought a lovely little home in Chelsea, London (Yes, THAT Chelsea, London). To my absolute surprise, within a day of moving in, we found that members of the Greek Royal Family were our neighbours!

I have spoken to most of them, and never brought the topic of the Greek monarchy up without them doing so first, and here's what I have gathered:

• King Constantine seems to be very enthusiastic about the restoration of the monarchy, but do course he would. A nice old gentleman though!

• Prince Pavlos hasn't really any interest, he's lived in Britain for his entire life, though he would consider taking a claim to the throne of he was offered

• This is where it's gets bad... Prince Constantine-Alexious is, unfortunately, the average British teenage boy, undisciplined and rude! I can't count how many times his father has had to apologise for him. He is bad at Greek as well...

Sorry, but if Prince Constantine-Alexious is the future of the Greek Monarchy then I weep for Greece! The boy needs to wise up and start thinking of other things (INCLUDING THE FUTURE OF HIS BIRTHRIGHT!!!) than looking at pictures of topless woman! I'm sure many of you may have met him and have had different impressions, however this is the very bad impression I have had of him. Though I can maybe see a future for the monarchy in Pavlos, maybe...

First of all, I should say "hi" as this is my first post.

When looking at potential restorations, I'd say that there is a series of conditions to consider, including the following:
Is there a dissatisfaction with the current régime?
Is the former ruling dynasty an indigenous one?
Was the dynasty overthrown by internal or external forces?
Is there a single undisputed claimant?
Is the claimant resident in the country and able to speak the language?
Is the claimant active in society and in good standing with the citizens?
Is the claimant in good standing with the national institutions?

By these measures, the countries most likely to restore their monarchies are, in my opinion, Albania and Serbia, followed by Montenegro and Romania.

Last edited:
Hi Andy T...welcome to TRF!

Extremely thoughtful, well thought out first post!:)

As a Brazilian (living in Rio de Janeiro) I can guarantee that republics here are not a mess, and we have a good president too. Personally, I would love to see my country become a monarchy again. But I don't think that's gonna happen, we have numerous monarchists here, but the number of people pro-republic is much bigger.

In Portugal to restore the monarchy still have much work ahead. But there's still hope.

I believe that Romania, Serbia and Montenegro one day restore the monarchy.

And I also believe in a return of the monarchy in Nepal.

As a Brazilian (living in Rio de Janeiro) I can guarantee that republics here are not a mess, and we have a good president too. Personally, I would love to see my country become a monarchy again. But I don't think that's gonna happen, we have numerous monarchists here, but the number of people pro-republic is much bigger.

Sorry, but as Brazilian I strongly disagree with you regarding the situation of the Republic and that President thing.

How you can you say the Republic is not a mess? With all the corruption scandal we see everyday on television? The Government is corrupt and the opposition is corrupt! And you think that communist terrorist is a good President? She has done nothing for Brazil! She just give money and build things in Cuba! A President who gives money to dictators like Fidel and some African Presidents can be no good for Brazil.

Thanks God I'm a monarchist and can deposit my hope on Prince Luiz and his Family. The monarchists are not the majority of the population, but I don't think the true republicans are much bigger, the majority of the population just prefer the status quo.

I'm sure that if people here in Brazil get to know more about our Monarchy, we'll have an Emperor one day.

I believe there are strong monarchist movements in Romania

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

This is probably far-fetched, but I believe a new referendum on the continuation of the republic or the restoration of the monarchy should be held in South Africa.

I know it is not going to happen because no one is actually calling for it, but my point is that the monarchy was abolished in SA in 1960 by a 52/48 margin in a referendum where only whites could vote, which means more than 80 % of the country's population at the time did not have a say on whether to ditch the Queen or not, making that referendum illegitimate in my opinion.

I guess one could argue that, contrary to the 1961 constitution, the current 1996 republican constitution is, however, legitimate because it was drawn up by a democratic parliament elected under non-racial, universal suffrage. However, the option to go back to a monarchy was not directly put to the voters in the 1994 election as it would be in the case of referendum focusing specifically on that issue.

I hope no-one minds me bumping this thread:

Monarchies I'd especially like to see restored:

Yemen, Vietnam, Turkey, (not entirely sure about who I'd like to be the Sultan of Turkey, although I'd much rather it be a liberal monarchy, (possibly Sufi-related/inspired, with freedom of religion, etc.), the modern Tibetan monarchy, Serbia, Russia, Romania, Portugal, Poland, Persia/Iran, Nepal, Mongolia, Manchuria, Indonesia, Korea, (sure hope that the 2 divided halves of Korea eventually reunite under a restored Korean Monarchy), Hawaii, (& on that note, I think I'll post a Link to a post I made over @Zelda Universe Forums, about a possible mixed Hereditary/Elective Federal Monarchy in the United States hopefully @some point sometime in some universes/possible futures, France, Ethiopia, China, Brazil, etc.

...Also, who else besides me would like it if the Nobility of Japan were restored to their titles, (& when I'm talking about the Japanese Aristocracy, I am especially thinking about the former royalty of the Ryukyu Kingdom, (present-day Okinawa Prefecture), which was annexed by Japan, but whose Royalty intermarried into the Japanese Imperial Family, but who were unfairly made mere commoners as a result of Japan's defeat in WW2, (which honestly, is 1 consequence of that war's end I would dearly love to see reversed, as it was completely unfair to abolish Japan's aristocracy, especially since the Ryukyu Royalty now have been downgraded 2 times, & @least the Japanese Empire let them be Aristocrats...

EDIT: Although I DO support women being able to ascend to the Chrysanthemum Throne as well, especially since their mythical ancestress was/is a FEMALE KAMI, & Japan has had female monarchs before)!!

(Although, while this may make me sound somewhat hypocritical, (or extremely hypocritical), I actually DID vote for my country's current President, because I viewed the alternative as WORSE, & @least Obama seems to care about the environment, (moreso than Romney @least), & @least he seemed to NOT be an extremely constant flip-flopper, unlike Mitt Romney, also, I was originally going to vote for Hillary Clinton, (partially because she was more experienced, which is after all a part of the reasoning of why I generally am inclined to have liberal Pan-Monarchist sympathies), but since she lost, (also because @the time of that year's primary election I hadn't quite turned 18, which is the current minimum voting age in the U.S.A.), I ended up voting for Obama, even though in my innermost spirit/soul/heart I have always been/will always be a Liberal Pan-Monarchst, probably in previous lifetimes as well, & certainly in future 1's as well)!!

Last edited:
Don't think Greece will ever be a monarchy again. At least not with the exiled Royal Family as the Rulers. But i think that Greece should start to be proud of their history and restore Tatoi Palace and it's surroundings to it's former splendour and turn it into a museum over the Greek Royal history.

If there is a country that actually may go from a republic back to a monarchy i think it's Romania.

Sadly i also think that my own country (Sweden) may turn into a republic. I think Victoria will reign but om not sure if there will be a monarchy left for Estelle :(

Along with Romania, I think there's a chance that Serbia and Albania may go back. In these three countries, the claimants seem to be the most active in promoting the benefits of a constitutional monarchy through their dedication to public service and all seem to enjoy a degree of acknowledgement from the state for their efforts.

Don't think Greece will ever be a monarchy again. At least not with the exiled Royal Family as the Rulers. But i think that Greece should start to be proud of their history and restore Tatoi Palace and it's surroundings to it's former splendour and turn it into a museum over the Greek Royal history.

If there is a country that actually may go from a republic back to a monarchy i think it's Romania.

Sadly i also think that my own country (Sweden) may turn into a republic. I think Victoria will reign but om not sure if there will be a monarchy left for Estelle :(

Absolutely agree with you about my country and Romania. But why you say that about your country?

Imperial India?

I was wondering, if a dramatic change in the republic of India, could they ask for the royal family to come back? I mean there would have to be a terrible thing to happen considering they wanted independence, but theortically if something happened, could Queen Elizabeth become Queen-Empress Elizabeth?

Highly unlikely, IMO! They are a proud, independent nation of 1.2bn, and unlikely to seek a foreign head of state. If they wanted one, they could anoint Sonia Gandhi.

Anything is possible - in theory - but as they fought so hard and so long for independence and also were determined to be a republic I doubt that they would ever consider accepting the British monarch back. There are a number of home grown royals they could put into that position if they wanted to become an 'empire' or 'monarchy' again.

Why would India need a restoration of the foreign monarchy?

Last edited:
A few questions for posters from Germany and Austria:

Does anyone think that one day the law that abolished the nobility and forbids the use of titles may one day be changed in Austria to allow people to use their titles again?

Similarly, in Germany, how would people feel about legal recognition of the use of old titles, for example say, Alexander Prinz zu Schaumburg-Lippe using the form Prinz Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe?

Finally, if the German constitution were amended to allow individual länder to have a monarch as ceremonial head, alongside a minister-president, which states would be most likely to adopt one? I'm guessing that Bavaria is the clear favourite, but are there any other regions where monarchist sentiment is present? Saxony?

Thanks

A few questions for posters from Germany and Austria:

Does anyone think that one day the law that abolished the nobility and forbids the use of titles may one day be changed in Austria to allow people to use their titles again?

Similarly, in Germany, how would people feel about legal recognition of the use of old titles, for example say, Alexander Prinz zu Schaumburg-Lippe using the form Prinz Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe?

Finally, if the German constitution were amended to allow individual länder to have a monarch as ceremonial head, alongside a minister-president, which states would be most likely to adopt one? I'm guessing that Bavaria is the clear favourite, but are there any other regions where monarchist sentiment is present? Saxony?

Thanks

In Germany these titles still exist as part of the persons surname. Only in Austria they are forbidden (but still used anyway). The diplomatic form has always been to use titles after the first name, so the present practice isn't all that peculiar. Restoration of monarchies in Germany on a state basis? King of Bavaria, Grand Duke of Hesse etc. I think it would be great but it's not going to happen. It's gone and will not return.

Gerard

Last edited:
Which country is likely to become a monarchy [again] and why? I personality believe none will. I think, in this present climate, an overtake dictatorship would be more likely whether political or religiously driven. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom