The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post

Germany is unlikely but possible (since it's arguable that the forced removal of royalty there is one of the major incidents that led to WWII). Prussia doesn't exist anymore.
No, it is impossible. Germany values their republic VERY strongly, a return of the monarchy is just as impossible there as in countries like France or Italy, maybe even more. I think it would be quite hard to choose which royal family to pick. The Kaiser\Emperor was Prussian, and other parts of Germany felt oppressed by Prussia. Some feelings are still there, so I think some states, like Bavaria, would have inhabitants that would rather separate from Germany than be ruled by a Prussian Royal Family. There are some monarchist movements everywhere of course, also in Bavaria (but in this case for the return of the Bavarian Royal Family) but this is not very serious.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Courtier

Germany has a very healthy relationship with its royals, now that their power is more informal. They form the cornerstone of society in the country to this day, but I think a return to power is unlikely. The Prussian Hohenzollerns would have a hard time uniting the country under their rule again, especially since local pride is much stronger in Germany than in most countries. Some parts of the country were not directly contolled by them (Bayern/Bavaria), and I think the Imperial family has a rather dubius reputation in the minds of historically-conscious Germans.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox View Post
Do you think that there is any country in the world that will become a monarchy - again or for the first time? Personally, I think that it probably won’t happen, but if I have to choose one country, I would say:

Serbia. This country has been through so much and maybe the current pretender Alexander could be a unifying force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_II_Karadjordjevic

In Asia, perhaps Vietnam will become a monarchy again in a very distant future. Compare with the recent restoration of the monarchy in Cambodia.
Hopefully, Nepal can become a monarchy again because it is the only pure Hindu country and the only surviving Hindu Royal Family in the world.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Nobility

In Europe I would say Serbia probably has the best chance, still not good, but probably up there with Bulgaria where the former Tsar was PM. I had hopes for Romania but they seem dashed now. France and Germany (maybe more) have an unfair set-up since it is actually illegal for their form of government to change.

In Africa I agree that Uganda seems a good candidate since they have popular sub-national monarchies. Ethiopia probably has alot of monarchists but I cannot see the government ever allowing any opposition to get anywhere.

In Asia Laos might be a possibility. I have heard that some people in Laos revere pictures of the King of Thailand in their homes in the absence of their own royals. I would disagree that Vietnam has very good prospects (sad as that makes me) as the last ruling dynasty is widely despised (unjustly or not) and of the children of the last Emperor none have shown the slightest interest in their royal pedigree nor did the crown prince have any offspring.

In the Americas (and their holdings) I would agree that Hawaii has somewhat good prospects but the native Hawaiians are such a minority at this point I don't know how well the rest of the population who are from America and Asia would take to the idea. In Hawaii the monarchist movement also tends to go along with the independence movement and as the American Civil War taught us there is <zero> possibility of any state ever leaving the Union. I so wish Mexico would consider it but that's a lost cause if ever there was one. Brazil might be able to but, unfortunately, I think the republican regime would have to fail really big first before the masses would give it any serious thought. Considering that it was under the empire that Brazil became independent and that they, in a way, lost their crown for opposing slavery, I think they have a very good argument to make for restoring the Brazilian Empire.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I would love for Italy to become a monarchy again.
Imagine the lavish splendour of birthdays and parties that the reigning family would hold, incredible.
x
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 AM
Nobility

They certainly have an unmatched sort of style. From what I have seen the biggest obstacles for the Italians are a challenged succession (I mean obstacles other than with the anti-monarchist sentiment that is prevalent) and, though I may just not be aware of other examples, the most pro-monarchy Italians I have seen are those supportive of the old Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and not the unitary Italy we have now. That being said, I think even the Bourbon Two Sicilies succession is debated.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Gentry

As an Italian I can assure you that Italy will never become a monarchy again!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

In Germany there is not even a 'visible' monarchist movement! You really have to do some digging to find it and it (or they, as there are several royal houses) have not the slightest support from the majority of the population. Re-instituting monarchy is certainly nothing that is seriously discussed over here.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Nobility

I have recently read that in Germany it is quite easy to get parties and movement banned if they are ruled to be "anti-constitutional" or something like that, basically wishing to change the form of government. The piece in question said that no one in Germany really notices the monarchists and if they ever did become an issue they would most likely be declared an illegal organization and silenced. Wasn't it the late Kaiser Wilhelm II who said that monarchy was like virginity; once it is lost you can never get it back?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I have recently read that in Germany it is quite easy to get parties and movement banned if they are ruled to be "anti-constitutional" or something like that, basically wishing to change the form of government. The piece in question said that no one in Germany really notices the monarchists and if they ever did become an issue they would most likely be declared an illegal organization and silenced. Wasn't it the late Kaiser Wilhelm II who said that monarchy was like virginity; once it is lost you can never get it back?
It isn't exactly easy to ban "anti-constitutional" parties Germany, but it can be done. I only know of so-called neo-nazi parties to have been banned, but I am not an expert on political issues! Banning a political party certainly requires complex legal action.

In terms of monarchy I just don't see that pro-monarchy parties have any noticeable support in the German population. So they don’t pose a threat to the constitution and neither the media no politicians bother with it. I also remember an interview view the prince of Prussia, grandson of the last emperor. He was ask if he wanted to regain his grandfather’s throne and answered something l like: “I am firmly standing with both feet on the current constitution”. I guess he is a fairly realistic guy. Unfortunately the video of the interview seems to be no longer on the site where I saw it, so I cannot post it.
I never heard the quote from the late Kaiser Wilhelm before, but it seems to be true for Germany and most other countries. Although: Spain became a monarchy again after General Franco’s death and it still works fine. But one cannot compare the historical circumstances of the two countries. I guess it was possible in Spain because Spain wasn't a republic at the time.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Nobility

There are some countries (I know France for sure) where it is illegal to advocate changing the government away from the republic. Spain is rather a unique case. Franco wasn't the most typical dictator in history. I also know from experience that whereas most monarchies tend to frequently ask whether the people would like to become a republic and occasionally hold votes on the subject I cannot think of any republics (with the possible exception of Brazil and if then it was only once) that frequently poll people as to whether or not they want a monarchy or hold votes on whether or not the public would like to try something other than a republic. It just seems like in monarchies (western ones anyway) the media always keeps republicanism on the table as an option whereas most if not all republics tend to never ask the question and usually vilify at worst or ridicule at best existing monarchies.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Anybody have odds on Russia under the Romanovs?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Anybody have odds on Russia under the Romanovs?
How about the odds of Russia under a Romanov Czar vs. the odds of Russia under a Putin Czar?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

What do you think about the restoration of the monarchy in Iran?

Regards!!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Courtier

I know a lot of Persians in exile who left after the downfall of the Shah. They have nothing good to say about the current regime. Unfortunately they all say it is extremely unlikely to have a restoration as the young people who live in Iran barely even know that there was a Rpyal family. If the current regime is overthrown then it is most likely to be a Presdiential republic that takes its place.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I know a lot of Persians in exile who left after the downfall of the Shah. They have nothing good to say about the current regime. Unfortunately they all say it is extremely unlikely to have a restoration as the young people who live in Iran barely even know that there was a Rpyal family. If the current regime is overthrown then it is most likely to be a Presdiential republic that takes its place.
I read in the autobiography of Empress Farah Pahlavi that when Leila died in 2001, a lot of people go to the walls of Niavaran Palace to put candles and flowers :)

Regards!!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by espejor View Post
I read in the autobiography of Empress Farah Pahlavi that when Leila died in 2001, a lot of people go to the walls of Niavaran Palace to put candles and flowers :)

Regards!!
Mostly older people who remembered the Shahs Regime.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Mostly older people who remembered the Shahs Regime.
I believe this applies to all countries who have become republics in the last 30 years or more. The older population may harbour some good feelings and nostalgia about their royals but the younger people have no connection to the families. For monarchies to be re established a country has to go through a traumatic event such a war or something for the people to believe the royal family's return will be a better choice.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I believe this applies to all countries who have become republics in the last 30 years or more. The older population may harbour some good feelings and nostalgia about their royals but the younger people have no connection to the families. For monarchies to be re established a country has to go through a traumatic event such a war or something for the people to believe the royal family's return will be a better choice.
I think you are quite right about that Odette.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
traumatic event? Not necessarily IMO. Remember how the father of the Shah came to power? Why don't we talk about e.g. Syria or Libya as the "new" monarchies? Course it is not yet a reall king on the throne over there. But reality is still pretty close to this: absolute power to the sovereign. And frankly, looking on the current development of Maroc, it would not be the worst of all choices provided of course that the sovereign respects democratic rights and guarantees stability.

Tags
constitution, future, pretender, restore, royalist