Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
... All this talk about Belgium splitting up is just an overreaction and a wrong evaluation of the situation in Belgium. Don't get me started on how this all began... :rolleyes: After all, that would be a political discussion and a little out of place here. ... [snipped and my bolding]
It is a great news. It is rather upsetting to read articles mentioning an endless political crisis and possibility of the split. The main for me that Crown Princely couple does not celebretise the monarchy.

Well, don't get me wrong, there are problems, obviously. But splitting... hardly. We just have to find new ways to live together, because the old ways don't fit any more. And, taken in account there are elections coming up, and the previous ones were quite a disaster, it's no surprise some politicians use strong bold words.

I realise that there are internal problems similar to ones most European countries face. However, the discussion of problems in Belgium often mentions the split looming on horizon. :flowers: I do hope that Belgians of all nationalities will find ways of an amicable co-existence.

When it comes to the UK - I personally think it should just stop after Elizabeth. A monarch like her comes along once in a millenium.

So, you think that a daughter/son of Prince William of Wales should not be given a chance to prove that she/he is a better monarch than Elizabeth II?

I absolutely disagree with you. I don't think Elizabeth II is so good as a monarch that the monarchy will be useless when she's gone. She is just one of the most popular British monarchs; there were popular monarchs before her and there will be poular monarchs after her.

So, you think that a daughter/son of Prince William of Wales should not be given a chance to prove that she/he is a better monarch than Elizabeth II?

I absolutely disagree with you. I don't think Elizabeth II is so good as a monarch that the monarchy will be useless when she's gone. She is just one of the most popular British monarchs; there were popular monarchs before her and there will be poular monarchs after her.

I think HM is the last one in the line with any sense of duty or responsibility; of her children, I believe only Anne to have shown the kind of intestinal fortitude that HM and the DoE have shown.

But lest we be accused of threadjacking, which of the existing monarchies do you is on a limited life span?

Now that would be funny... :lol: Of course you assume they belong in the same realm of the spirit world... :cool:

Well, that's why I was diplomatic and made no mention of hell or heaven. I'm sure Franco thought (or hoped) Juan Carlos would carry on in roughly the same fashion that he had ruled. I certainly don't think he would have picked him as his heir if he had any idea he would make the country a democracy. If that democracy turns against the monarchy after Juan Carlos I could just imagine Franco lecturing him on how the people rewarded his dynasty for their freedom.

I will leave out any comment on the good or bad of Franco & Juan Carlos, I think the facts speak for themselves quite clearly.

I am also glad to hear that the potential split of Belgium is largely hysteria. Given how multi-cultural Europe as a whole is today I don't see any reason why two ethnic groups with such a long history together should not be able to live together as well as any other.

As for the British, I see them sticking it out. I think even the lukewarm will tolerate Charles for the sake of a future King William and once he starts to go through the whole marriage process I'm sure that will be a shot in the arm for the popularity of the monarchy as they usually are.

I would think that Spain is holding on by just a bit, but would be "next" to go - followed by Belgium. And interestingly, they have two very different heirs, the Prince of Austurias and his "flashy" princess (I am not saying that she is! but the perception....) and "dull, plodding" Philippe & Mathilde.

The interaction between the history of a country, the history of the particular royal family, the world political and social climate, the perception about the heirs to any throne, and one's personal background is interesting at the very least.

When it comes to the UK - I personally think it should just stop after Elizabeth. A monarch like her comes along once in a millenium.

I will just add that what is "dull" and "plodding" to one person is respectable and dutiful to another. All in the eye of the beholder. I like the Belgian heirs. Mathilde seems like a great mom and Philippe seems to be a man of principle which is quite rare for anyone in public life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will just add that what is "dull" and "plodding" to one person is respectable and dutiful to another. All in the eye of the beholder. I like the Belgian heirs. Mathilde seems like a great mom and Philippe seems to be a man of principle which is quite rare for anyone in public life.

Oh, Bones, I totally agree. Thats why I put those words in quotation marks. I really think Mathilde and Philippe are two people who live their values and are dedicated to their positions as a responsibility to a greater world as well as to their country. I put them on par with HM The Queen (U.K.) and her husband in devotion to duty above all.

Last edited:
I think, and i don't know why but Monaco.
I really hope it doesn't, but I see the country becoming a republic with maybe Albert as the president hehe :)
x

I'm not sure that Monaco could even survive without the monarchy. They keep so much of everything going, they're the driving force behind most of the tourism and they own most of the major income-producers for the country. I think the place would financially go-under without the Grimaldis.

Please note that the name of this thread, is What country do you think COULD be the next to abolish their monarchy? Several posts have been deleted as off topic and inflammatory as they add nothing to the CIVIL discussion that was happening until recently.

So going forward, lets have some ground rules:

1) If you don't care for a particular royal (which is your right), please state your dislike without restorting to calling them names and/or accusing them of crimes that they have not been arrested or convicted of;

2) Please don't make general assumptions. For example, if you speak to one person and they have an opinion on a certain royal or whether or not a certain country will abolish their monarchy please dont assume that they speak for ALL people in a particular country;

3) And finally, please remember to keep ALL political discussions out of this thread. The Royal Forums is not the place for political discussions.

Any and ALL posts that disregard the above mentioned rules, as well as the TRF Rules will be deleted without any notice.

If you have any questions, please do not hestiate to contact any of the moderators and/or Administrators.

Thank you.

Zonk

I think that Belgium has more posibilities to abolish his monarchy than Spain. In Spain the King and the Queen are very beloved for the people (of course there're people that doesn't love them, like in all the countries). But the problem I think that will arrive when Felipe and Letizia were crowned. King Juan Carlos is a very good King and I don't know if the people will accept Felipe :(

Regards!

I know I'm showing up late to this conversation, but I only just discovered the thread. I find this discussion fascinating.

I've always had the impression that the Borbons enjoyed wide popularity in Spain. I didn't think their position was so tenuous. It has always seemed to me, though, that - as Spain was without a monarch for four decades - it would be a shorter psychological trip (so to speak) for the Spanish to toss their monarchy then for citizens of countries that have always had them. So even if the Spanish royals have the esteem of their subjects for now, it might take fewer scandals and a shorter period of public disenchantment to get them their walking papers. But I like to think their position is secure. Press coverage in the English-speaking world, at least, makes out that the younger generation - including Letizia - is quite popular.

I also like to think that the Norwegian royals enjoy a more comfortable position than they did a dozen years ago, when the country was adjusting to the new king and queen. I think the Norwegian case shows that the tide can turn quickly. Wasn't King Olav enormously popular right up until his death? Harald and Sonja, on the other hand, really seem to have taken a pounding in the nineties. So while the Danish and Swedish royals seem to be sitting pretty, the case could be very different early in the reigns of Frederick X and Queen Victoria. This seems particularly so because it will (hopefully) be a long time before Carl Gustaf and Margrethe leave us, and there is plenty of time for images to change.

I hope the Belgian royals hang on. I really want there to be a Queen Mathilde. I'd hazzard a guess that every monarchy enjoys greater support than any poll indicates. There's a big difference between saying you want a republic in a poll and actually voting for a republic in a referendum. The last poll I read about indicated that just over fifty percent of Belgians wanted the monarchy to continue. So I hope this means that at least sixty percent of the country would vote to keep the royals in a referendum.

I believe the next monarchy to go will be Thailand because the king is beloved
by the people and when he passes it is over.Because his son the crown prince
is not liked that much by the people.

I think it could be Thailand too. I think the British Monarchy will be around for awhile.

I think, and i don't know why but Monaco.
I really hope it doesn't, but I see the country becoming a republic with maybe Albert as the president hehe :)
x

The Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861, which was revised in 2002, says that if a Grimaldi is not on the throne, it will remain independent from France - probably with a President. I also doubt that Monaco would 'go under' financially is the monarchy was abolished - its reputation as a playground for the rich and famous would most likley go on.

In Asia, I disagree Sereta that Thailand's monarchy could go. The Thai's (including the media) treat the King with more respect than most western countries do.

I believe that the monarchies in danger may be of Asiaticis countries because in these countries exists a great political instability and it favors the change of form of State… I think that the Spanish monarchy cannot be abolished, they have a important mision to the front of the State, the monarchy gives equality and unit to the Spanish territory .
the politicians, nevertheless, create inequality between the Spanish....

:previous: Yes, they love their present King and rightly so. But from what I've heard they're not so crazy about his son. I do hope Thailand's monarchy will last though.

I don't know about the Asian monarchies, but in Europe I'm thinking Spain. Felipe is not widely popular, sadly.

My guess?The Netherlands,people there don't seem satisfied with the monarchy.

:previous:

I never got quite the same impression, could you explain why you think Dutch are not satisfied with their Monarchy? :)

Of all the current Monarchies, I always thought the Monarchy of the Netherlands is among the safest.

The Netherlands is the safest, I agree Marsel ;)

I've read that almost every country are not satisfied with the Monarchy. But look on this: British complains on their royal but most of them love everything what is connected with them. So as far it's rather safe.

I'm not an expert on Belgium. The whole goverment, including the royal family I guess completely failed. The cities are dangerous and there are even a lot of people who want to belong to the Netherlands. Says enough.
I think Mathilde is in their eyes a grey mouse. She doesn't warm the people with her ethiusiasm like Maxima can nor she says anything interesting I guess. As I said, i'm not an expert on the Belgians.

As a Belgian I can tell you that is not true ! Our cities aren't more dangerous than others ! And the number of people who wants to belong tho the netherlands is rather small !

As a Belgian I can tell you that is not true ! Our cities aren't more dangerous than others ! And the number of people who wants to belong tho the netherlands is rather small !

ITA agree with you Royallife:flowers:

I just hope that no more European countries abolish their monarchy. Same goes for Japan, since they are the only country with an Emperor.

I don't know about the Asian monarchies, but in Europe I'm thinking Spain. Felipe is not widely popular, sadly.
I'm surprised to hear this Caphia. Felipe and Letizia seem to be very hardworking. I think only the Prince of Wales & Duchess maybe work more. And everywhere they go the crowds look enthusiastic in the pictures. Why would he not be popular?

Becuase they prefer Elena to be queen, long story. I prefer that as well, they percentage of Republicans is growing widely. Something that some are not willing to accept. The popularity of the Borbon's is going down, we don't know what may happen after Juan Carlos dies. Just becuase they are hardworking doesnt mean that they are popular, yes they try. But there's a high percentage of younr republicans and after all we are the future of the country.

As a Spaniard, I will like to see Infanta Elena ascending to the throne she's the rightful heir, or if Letizia has a male child he should be king instead of Leonor, that's the right thing to do.
IMO.

As a Spaniard, I will like to see Infanta Elena ascending to the throne she's the rightful heir, or if Letizia has a male child he should be king instead of Leonor, that's the right thing to do.
IMO.

Thats a very interesting statement and I agree with that.

I have another question. Not long ago I saw a documentary about the swedish monarchy. It was said that crown princess Victoria is very popular in Sweden, nevertheless the Swedish would prefer a democracy. As some of the reasons for that it was said the swedish king hasn't a lot to say, the monarchy is seen as quite useless and even undemocratic and antiquated. One "expert" said that the swedish monarchy maybe would barley rest only a few years after all.

So, what do you think about that? And do we have swedish members, which can tell us as a Insider how the feelings in Sweden are?

Becuase they prefer Elena to be queen, long story. IMO.

Spaniards prefer Elena to be Queen ? Where did you hear about it ? I only heard Elena was not prepared to be Queen, long story too :cool:. Prince Felipe has always been very popular (as popular as any of the heirs out there), the most popular among his siblings, Elena is the least. If the monanchy is abolished one day, it's because it has runned its course, has nothing to do with Felipe's popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom