Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we look at the rest of the world, then I would say Nepal (it get's decided in June, I believe). King Gyanendra screwed up big time.

I also believe that Australia will become a republic when Elizabeth II dies.

Spanish Poll
Do you agree with Spain remaining a monarchy, or would you prefer to have a republic?
Monarchy
65%
Republic
25%
Not sure / No reply
10%

Source: Instituto Opina / Cadena Ser
Methodology: Telephone interviews with 1,000 Spanish adults, conducted on Sept. 28, 2006. Margin of error is 3.1 per cent.

I think that spain never become a republic, no at this time, im sure

I would guess that Spain is the most likely IMO to become a republic because there has only been one ruling king since the death of Franco. I imagine with each passing generation the likelihood of the monarchy being over thrown will decrease.

Norway seems at risk, especially since they have a relatively short history of their own monarch, but the NRF doesn't seem to be to stuffy like other monarchies.

What was the last deposed monarchy in Europe? As far as I know, the only one deposed after WWII was the Greek, but it has had a lot of issues other monarchies never had.

Anyway, Spain and Belgium are the least "strong" monarchies because of the huge independentist streak and the fact that there have been some strong figures linked to the monarchy (Baudouin and JC) so people may not feel that their heirs are up to the task

I would recommend Prince Felipe to learn Euskera and Gallego, because he'll be king of ALL spaniards, not only the castillian/catalan ones;) and Princess Letizia should learn Catalan, Euskera and Gallego as well, because they won't be respected as much if they don't show some respect to the autonomic communities that form Spain nowadays (The actual King and Queen don't speak those languages but they earned people's respect so many years ago, when the languages weren't such a huge issue in Spain)

I adore Princess Mathilde, for me she's what a royal should be but please please please learn Dutch! she speaks a beautiful french but her dutch is beyond awful:ermm:

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I respectfully disagree :flowers:

Monarchies aren't just governmental institutions, but cultural one's aswell and if any current day Kingdom decides to adopt a republican administration as its own, it would have to be a reflection of the royal family's worth, and not because its deemed by some as inevitable when actually, that is not so.

Its about staying relevant and true to the social, cultural, economic and governmental factions of that society and if they are able to maintain that relevance then there is no need for change.

Progressing forward in no way means the republican alternative and while it works well for the United States (respectively) amongst many, this does not make it the right alternative for all countries
I couldn't agree with you more and this is the very reason that the European monarchies are on shaky ground. Other than tourism, I have a hard time finding their relevance. Remember, royals are to be bound by duty and not celebrity. Recent marital choices by themselves place the whole idea of monarchy at risk and make it an easy target.

Last edited:
Tourism is not a reason to keep a monarchy. In my country that is never used by people to show the use of the monarchy. It is more that there is an a-political leader of the nation that can become a strong national symbol. For presidents that is more difficult as they alway represent a political party and thus just a small part of the country. Apart from that, te monarchy usually belongs o the cultural heritage of a country, which is important to.

The counrty most likely to become a republic is the country that doesn t need such a symbol anymore, as it stops to exsist. So I would gather Belgium, though I hope that they will find a way to reunite the walloons and flamish people.

Upheaval in Belgium: remove the portraits of the King and Queen

The Flemish anti-monarchistic and separatist party 'Vlaams Belang' has caused a riot by demanding that the portraits of the King and the Queen should be removed out of the municipal halls / town halls.

Reason: the Flemish municipalities do ressort under the Flemish Government and -Parliament and are no longer a part of the Federal structure. Asked about this, the Flemish minister of the Interior stated that there is no obligation for municipalities to have a portrait of the King in the municipal hall. Shortly after World War I (1914-1918) the then minister of the Interior has issued a circulaire in which he advised the municipalities that it was 'desirable' to hang a portrait of the Sovereign in public buildings.

In a few municipalities the portraits there are no portraits of the Sovereign anymore. Not especially to please the party 'Vlaams Belang' but just due to any lack of interest to have a portrait of the King in the municipal hall.

Source: GVA

A few fractions of 'Vlaams Belang' now will start an action to have the Belgian national flag removed out of municipal halls, for the same reason (municipalities are a responsibility of Flanders, not of the Federal Government).

In Britain, I think we're lucky that the only people who vote are the elderly, politics-buffs, housewives and gays. The elderly love the Queen and would never vote against her, the housewives wouldn't and the day a gay man votes against a tiara is the day Elizabeth Taylor loses some weight so I think we're safe there. It's just the politics-buffs you have to watch but they're generally in their mid-20s with bad hair, big glasses, ugly clothes and no girlfriends. I think Britain will stay a Kingdom for a long time. Not sure about a United Kingdom though.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
In Britain, I think we're lucky that the only people who vote are the elderly, politics-buffs, housewives and gays. The elderly love the Queen and would never vote against her, the housewives wouldn't and the day a gay man votes against a tiara is the day Elizabeth Taylor loses some weight so I think we're safe there. It's just the politics-buffs you have to watch but they're generally in their mid-20s with bad hair, big glasses, ugly clothes and no girlfriends. I think Britain will stay a Kingdom for a long time. Not sure about a United Kingdom though.

Luckily the kingdom does not depend on the elderly, the politics-buffs, the housewives and gays. It depends on the british written and un-written 'constitution' and it has survived many cirises throughout the centuries.

Saturn said:
The main problem in Spain is that young people think it's not necessary a monarchy, and now another problem is the referendum to change the constitution in order that women can be heirs to the throne.
Many people say that if a referendum is held for, at the same time they could vote for or against the monarchy.
It's for that reason that the royal family are afraid of the referendum, and tries to postpone it as much as possible, saying that there are more than enough time, because the heir to the throne is Felipe and not Leonor.

Has Spain totally forgotten where it came from??If it wasn't for the RF and perticularly how HM handled matters it would still be a backward fascist piece of land.High time Spain gets a reality bite and comes to it's senses and,ao,allows equal laws/rights for men/women and enters the 21st century properly.Believe me,there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a female Monarch.

lucien said:
Has Spain totally forgotten where it came from??

No. Spain hasn't forgotten wher it came from, for your information. :rolleyes: To be honest I do find your post a little harsh, however perhaps I'm reading too much into it?

Most people here don't have a problem with having a female monarch, it's just that once Juan Carlos is no longer King, whoever does become of King or Queen will have to work hard- mainly because of the respect so many people have for JC.

Also, I would like to point out, based on 'Saturn's' post (and Saturn this is not directed to you personally!), in Cataluña, where Saturn is living, the monarchy is not particularly popular so you have to take into account the opinions of the whole of Spain before you make such judgements.:)

That said, people in Spain, unlike other countries, do not hold their monarchy so close to their hearts.

Last edited:
Luckily the kingdom does not depend on the elderly, the politics-buffs, the housewives and gays. It depends on the british written and un-written 'constitution' and it has survived many cirises throughout the centuries.
It very much depends on those groups. The Kingdom only lasts whilst the people want it. Any country can have a constitution, written or otherwise, it doesn't secure the Government. Hitler had laws, it didn't keep the Reich alive did it? In the end, the poeple decided it's fate. The people will decide the fate of the Kingdom too. And that's democracy.

The monarchy in Great Britain, although sometimes controversial, has very much to do with our concept of the national identity (I am a British citizen currently living outside the country). The change from Elizabeth II to Charles / George VII will be really interesting to see, because most of us (and even some of our parents) cannot remember any other monarch reigning. Whereas, my grandparents lived through the reigns of Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI, and Elizabeth II, I have only experienced the latter. HOWEVER, we still do care very much for the institution, and it has so much to do with our identity as a nation. I doubt it will be changed any time too soon. Although (and i do joke), if the Windsors were to be ousted, I think they would simply remain the reigning family in Canada, Australia, and the other countries where HM retains sovereign title. LOL.

As for the matter of Spain forgetting where it came from, perhaps you forget who groomed Juan Carlos to be his successor...where did it come from, indeed? The monarchy hardly created Francisco Franco, rather, the opposite is very much true. Juan Carlos reigns today by the good graces of Francisco Franco...which, in my opinion, is not a bad thing at all. Now, maintaining claim to the title "King of Jerusalem"...another story...

Henri, I may point out that the Habsburg and French monarchies also survived many crises, and where are they now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo the first monarchy that becomes republic will be Norway. It's the youngest monarchy in Europe(since 1905 if I'm not mistaken), they don't have nobility in Norway and they just seem not to care about monarchy. Among other European monarchies Norway seems the most modern.

I wonder, though, do they not care for it, or not care about it? If the latter is true, why make the effort to abolish it? I think what is best to consider is which of the current European monarchies reigns over the least stable domain? (Historically, the rest of Europe was simply counting down for the Greek monarchy to be dissolved).

Prince of Chota said:
Henri, I may point out that the Habsburg and French monarchies also survived many crises, and where are they now?

The Austrian-Hungarian monarchy collapsed due to the weight of their ungovernable realm where the problems piled up and where they did not adapt to the democratization of the people.

The French monarchy collapsed due to the immensely deep gap between the daily misery and starvation of the people and the unimagineable luxury of the royals and the nobles residing on their own planets called Versailles, Chenonceau, Chambord, Azay-le-Rideau, Cheverny, Amboise, Chinon, etc. where the grande dames et messieurs sank away in their lives full of opulent succulence. The very same situation can copied on Russia, where people even were no citizens but serfs, belonging to the local bojar.

If the people of France or Russia were satisfied with their life, if they had enough to eat, trust in their government and peace in the country, they had no any reason to stand up and revolt against their monarchy. It is as simple as that.

When you look at the surviving monarchies: it are all -and always have been- relatively welfare, peaceful and reliable countries with a certain extend of development and a basic social system. It is no wonder that the fire of revolution died in these countries.

The collapse of the Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Greek monarchies have fairly a lot in common: the monarchs were too involved in daily politics and were seen as to be blamed for the misery of the nation.

The collapse of the German, Russian and Austrian-Hungarian monarchies can not be seen without the unbelievable slaughter which took place during WWI.

Lakshmi said:
Imo the first monarchy that becomes republic will be Norway. It's the youngest monarchy in Europe(since 1905 if I'm not mistaken), they don't have nobility in Norway and they just seem not to care about monarchy. Among other European monarchies Norway seems the most modern.

That really depends how you view it. The original norwegen royal family died out in 1387. Since then the same royal family has ruled the kingdom of Norway only intercepted by roughly 90 years under swedish rule 1814-1905.

MargreteI said:
That really depends how you view it. The original norwegen royal family died out in 1387. Since then the same royal family has ruled the kingdom of Norway only intercepted by roughly 90 years under swedish rule 1814-1905.

True. And I do not think that Norway will become a republic. At least not in my lifetime. Having a monarchy and being the kingdom of Norway is a big part of our history. Perhaps we could even say that it's part of our identity.
The fact that we don't seem to 'care' about the monarchy just shows that we are quite satisfied with the way things are. Norwegians can (as you perhaps already know) seem a bit distant, cold and stiff...hehe
We do however tend to 'defrost' around big events like the olympics...or royal weddings;)

For those of you who can read or understand norwegian:
Syv av ti støtter opp om kongehuset

This article shows that 70% support the monarchy. 20% does not.
The research was done in connection with the 100th anniversary of the modern monarchy in Norway.

I agree. The Norwegians that I know seem to be genuinely proud of their independent monarchy. I actually do not know which monarchy I would vote most vulnerable to deposition...what is the status of Belgium as far as popularity?...

Liechtenstein seems to have some controversy surrounding its monarchy, where the Prince is more active in politics, but I doubt anything enough to cause its end.

I will say that the Dutch and Swedish monarchies seem to be the most secure as far as popular support, but can one ever tell what position those governments might be thrown into by unforeseen events?

I feel very secure, though, about the future of the British monarchy. And Beatrixfan's reason does top the list of reasons--lol--the Windsors can put on a show like none other, and the pomp and circumstance is still much of what keeps royal families and their institutions going. It is when royals become too ordinary in the popular opinion that they run into trouble...for what use is there for them then?

Marengo said:
Tourism is not a reason to keep a monarchy. In my country that is never used by people to show the use of the monarchy. It is more that there is an a-political leader of the nation that can become a strong national symbol. For presidents that is more difficult as they alway represent a political party and thus just a small part of the country. Apart from that, te monarchy usually belongs o the cultural heritage of a country, which is important to.

The counrty most likely to become a republic is the country that doesn t need such a symbol anymore, as it stops to exsist. So I would gather Belgium, though I hope that they will find a way to reunite the walloons and flamish people.

Respectfully, your first paragraph sounds like a political talking point. Not to be disrepectful, but I would venture to say that Holland's World Cup soccer team is more of "an a-political leader of the nation that can become a strong national symbol" than Queen Beatrix.

The point of cultural heritage is probably the most significant contribution modern royals can make. Too bad that most of the royals do not lecuture or write books on the topic save for example Prince Michael of Greece and several others born in the late 19th century and early 20th century.

In fairness, perhaps the House of Orange and other royals discharge many righteous duties anonymously and spend some of their vast wealth (House of Orange) on charities. I also concede that being royal comes with many limitations.

If Prince Harry sees some legitimate combat in Iraq, I will be very impressed. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate much less support this failed attempt at nation bulding and redistribution of wealth, but at least PH is risking his life for a county that has given so much to him and his family. And what is more, it is written that he wants to go. I have great respect for the Duke of York in this regard. DoY saw actual conbat and placed himself in harms way as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands. I find it offensive when I see royals parading around in a miliary uniform like they were sporting some Versace outfit on the read carpet. There is much more to the military than wearing a uniform, ceremonial or incomplete military training. I think most people would be more impressed by royals engaging in acts of selflessness and this is not limited to military service. Prince Charles has been given much credit and rightfully so for promoting inter faith dialogue long before 9/11.

By all accounts, Abdullah II of Jordan is a royal in the best position to postively effect geopolitics and world peace. He is viewed as a moderate by the west and has credibility in the middle east. He also appears to embrace his role as a potential peace maker as did his father the late King Hussein even at the risk of being toppled by radical forces in Jordan and/or the region. This is an example of duty and for this reson he is admired by many. Granted, AII simlpy found himself in circumstance, but what have or what are the current crown princes doing?

There is a lot more to royalty and royal history than a dream of marring a prince/ss, what they wear, what they look like, who they are dating, etc. or the discussion of reports that Ana Anderson was seen at a 7 11 buying some gas with Elvis in the car.

Privilege, wealth, genius, heroism, generosity, duty, etc. is pointless if not used or cultivated.

Last edited:
Prince of Chota said:
I agree. The Norwegians that I know seem to be genuinely proud of their independent monarchy. I actually do not know which monarchy I would vote most vulnerable to deposition...what is the status of Belgium as far as popularity?...

Most people in Belgium like our present king and queen, but it's going to be chaos when prince Philppe has to reign the country. There have been numerous debades on this subject. Fact is that he's just not capable of reigning a country, he has said some major wrong things in the past that politicians and the population couldn't grasp. And everyone here hopes king Albert is going to stay on the throne as long as possible. The moment Philippe has to succeed his father, Belgium can become a republic IMO.

Which country do you think COULD be next to abolish their monarchy?

with the situation in nepal.

Which country do you think could be next to abolish their monarchy?

of all the reigning monarchies in the world, not just europe.

My opinion... I dont want to see another monarchy abolished!!!!!!

Monaco? Seriously? I highly doubt it.

I'd say Australia is next, most likely.

Which is the next Monarchy to go?

Now that Nepal is a republic and the Shahdev's commoners, which is the next one to go? And which is is pretty strong and will survive for a long time to come?

My pick for the ones to go: AUSTRALIA (although it will not make the Windsors a non-reigning house) and BELGIUM (Break-up of the country).

My Pick for the Ones to survive the long haul: THAILAND (Thais love their monarchy), UNITED ARAB EMRATES (The locals are taken care of well enough to never want to be without a Monarchy).

Questions about the House of Windsor: Since they reign in 16 countries, does this mean that all 16 have to get rid of them to make them a non-reigning house or will the United Kingdom declaring a republic means they cease to regin everywhere else.

Yes, all 16 would have to get rid of them to make them a non-reigning House.

The UK won't do it, though Australia likely will. Canada won't, either.

My Pick for the Ones to survive the long haul: THAILAND (Thais love their monarchy), UNITED ARAB EMRATES (The locals are taken care of well enough to never want to be without a Monarchy).

The locals maybe, those who profit in the no-tax way of life ... but it appears to me as if a large number of residents might disagree, please note I am not only talking of low-paid foreigners here. Plus a chaos due to the lack of planning (e.g. the new sewage plant at Jebel Ali appears to run at full capacity from day one ... where is the next one?? Also SITA ...). And what do I hear brewing up in Umm Al Quwain over the huge Al Salam City development? Do you truly believe investors will quietly accept this? This might well develop into a problem for real estate credibility ... Appears to me that in the long run something definitly needs to change! Today's trouble shooting might not work forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom