The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?
Belgium 81 20.30%
Denmark 12 3.01%
Great Britain 39 9.77%
Liechtenstein 12 3.01%
Luxembourg 9 2.26%
Monaco 16 4.01%
The Netherlands 4 1.00%
Norway 55 13.78%
Spain 140 35.09%
Sweden 31 7.77%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
One could say the same thing about Fiji, but there are always going to be the odd monarchy that lets the side down. By and large, constitutional monarchies - Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, UK, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium etc. are more stable politically.

In some cases, an independent monarch has been crucial to the establishment of representative democracy - e.g. Spain and Tonga.
I may be wrong, but Canada, Austraila and New Zealand are not monarchies, but part of a Commonwealth. But they have their own independent governments.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I may be wrong, but Canada, Austraila and New Zealand are not monarchies, but part of a Commonwealth. But they have their own independent governments.
They are constitutional monarchies - Her Majesty the Queen is the source of executive power which is exercised by her Governors-General on the advice of the respective governments. She is on our coins, on our bank notes, issues honours and awards to our citizens, signs bills from the Parliament into law and so on. Any changes to legislation affecting the succession to the throne of Britain requires the consent of Australia, NZ, Canada and her other realms. She may not be resident in all 15 of her realms but all 15 of them identify themselves and are recognised as constitutional monarchies.

It is important to remember that there is a distinction between the 54 member Commonwealth of Nations - which includes monarchies and republics - and the 16 nations of which Her Majesty the Queen is the Head of State, known as Commonwealth Realms

See here for further information - http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCo...althRealm.aspx

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
In some cases, an independent monarch has been crucial to the establishment of representative democracy - e.g. Spain and Tonga.
Yes, king Juan Carlos played an important role in establish democracy in Spain, especially at the time of the attempted coup in February 1981. I would guess that he had a warning example of what could happen if he didn't act quickly in favour of democracy in his brother-in-law Constantine and his actions during the Greek military coup in April 1967.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Aristocracy

I would vote on Liechtenstein, what with the ways of the country determined by Prince Alois' moods on certain topics, but, I see from your suvey, Spain is taking top honors so far.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They are constitutional monarchies - Her Majesty the Queen is the source of executive power which is exercised by her Governors-General on the advice of the respective governments. She is on our coins, on our bank notes, issues honours and awards to our citizens, signs bills from the Parliament into law and so on. Any changes to legislation affecting the succession to the throne of Britain requires the consent of Australia, NZ, Canada and her other realms. She may not be resident in all 15 of her realms but all 15 of them identify themselves and are recognised as constitutional monarchies.

It is important to remember that there is a distinction between the 54 member Commonwealth of Nations - which includes monarchies and republics - and the 16 nations of which Her Majesty the Queen is the Head of State, known as Commonwealth Realms

See here for further information - http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCo...althRealm.aspx
Interesting, because I have many Canadian friends, who objected to being including in a "monarchy". They, believe, they are part of a Commonwealth, but are a Republic. They informed of this. Perhaps, they should start thinking of legislation or rebellion?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Interesting, because I have many Canadian friends, who objected to being including in a "monarchy". They, believe, they are part of a Commonwealth, but are a Republic. They informed of this. Perhaps, they should start thinking of legislation or rebellion?
Your friends surprise me, COUNTESS, as Canada is considered to be the most supportive of the monarchy of all 15 Commonwealth Realms. They maintain more of the trappings and traditions associated with the monarch than many other of their fellow realms.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

After the King of Spain's recent behavior, I would say that there are many disaffected with him. If the public sentiment gets bad enough, he might have to step down in favor of his son.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
After the King of Spain's recent behavior, I would say that there are many disaffected with him. If the public sentiment gets bad enough, he might have to step down in favor of his son.
Who would ask him to step down, considering the big picture what he has done for the country? And why would people think that Felipe would be of any more benefit to the country than his father with his vast connections?

Despite of what happened, I still believe that Spaniards are rather Juancarlists than monarchists and that Felipe, although given a chance when his time has come, wont be greeted with any enthusiasm.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Canada is a fully independent, sovereign country with its own Government and its own Head of State. And yes, they are also part of the Commonwealth. However, Canada is also a Monarchy that happens to share its Head of State with 15 other countries (the 16 Countries are collectively known as Commonwealth Realms). I think it might be necessary to point out the difference between Commonwealth of Nations and Commonwealth Realms.

Commonwealth Realms: there are currently sixteen Commonwealth Realms. All of those countries are independent and sovereign states; they do, however, share the same Monarch (currently, Elizabeth II) - a situation that is commonly known as Personal Union of Crowns. That situation is not unique; for example, Denmark, Norway and Sweden enjoyed several personal unions of crowns throughout their existence. The Commonwealth Realms are:
- United Kingdom
- Canada
- Australia
- New Zealand
- Jamaica
- Papua New Guinea
- Tuvalu
- Solomon Islands
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Barbados
- Bahamas
- Belize
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Grenada

The Commonwealth of Nations
The Commonwealth of Nations is an organisation of fifty-four member states that share historical and cultural ties. All the members, with the exception of Rwanda and Mozambique, were once part of the British Empire.
While the Queen is Head of the Commonwealth of Nations, she is NOT Queen of any of the 54 nations, aside from the 16 Commonwealth Realms. For instance, Cyprus is part of the Commonwealth, but the Elizabeth II is obviously not Queen of Cyprus.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of this,the King recently attended the Day of the armed forces in Valladolid and was greeted with burst of applause and cheering.Ofcourse his recent antics have damaged the image of the King but I'm certain that King Juan Carlos will turn that around.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

Yeah, you wouldn't think that monarchy and democracy could be reintroduced together, but the situation in Spain has showed us otherwise. I'm not familiar with the situatuion at Tonga, but I guess it was similar? And even though 1905 was a while ago now, Norway also chose to introduce their own monarchy rather than becoming a republic.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Yeah, you wouldn't think that monarchy and democracy could be reintroduced together, but the situation in Spain has showed us otherwise. I'm not familiar with the situatuion at Tonga, but I guess it was similar? And even though 1905 was a while ago now, Norway also chose to introduce their own monarchy rather than becoming a republic.
And its thanks to the previous King that Bhutan is also a democracy.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've observed that now there are some Republican parties or movements in monarchical states , but they speak a lot theoretically about the reasons it should be abolished etc.
I'm interested in a different question, the mechanism of abolishing monarchies. If I'm not wrong, these parties are searching for the signatures of people who are in favour of eventual abolishment or they should ascend to the Parliament to organize a referendum.
Though I don't understand the point of these movements, as constitutional monarchies are sometimes better than republican systems.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

I say Spain. There is just too much going on over there that cant be overlooked. The king does things that are very questionable. The SRF seem to only care about what is in thier best interest. I dont think the spanish people are standing behind the family and now that all this Inaki court thing and the King going on endangered animal hunts and having affairs with whoever, the people are tired. I for one think that the monarchy needs to be abolished so the people dont have to take care of these ungrateful snobs. Just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Courtier

It has hardly anything to do with Royals..

The survival of monarchy is not solely dependant on the royals..Indeed the hunting trip of King Juan Carlos, Inaki scandal, Prince of Wales' "past", the perceived "unreadiness" of Princes Felipe/Frederick/Haakon..all these things are in no way going to lead to the abolition.These just are the regular ups and downs any institution will go through. One Jubilee/Wedding/Birth/Death is enough to forget all these and say..AND ALL THE PEOPLE REJOICED.....
If we see the recent past, monarchies have just become scapegoats to the internal political situations in those countries.One truth is..CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHIES ARE NEVER STRONG THEMSELVES.THEY ARE STRENGTHENED BY THE CONSTITUTIONAL INSTITUTIONS..Once there occurs a political vaccume in any country the power seekers (Communists,military,whatever) will project themselves as people of the poor/common man..and show monarchy in bad light.Monarchs are forced to act in one way or other in absence of political stability..and whatever they do is shown/seen in bad light
In the present situation I feel only Belgium has chances, if any, of going into that stage, given the severe divisive crisis and the reluctance of politicians to come up together over their selfish motives.I am not very thorough about it and hope the gravity of situation is less..
Otherwise, if there is political and economic stability, people will hardly bother the royals, though they keep fretting and fuming on them once in a while.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian View Post
And mine! People's affection for and sense of connection to our Monarchy is a firm quality of British charactor. Besides a vulgar minority of British republicans (who very few ever take seriously), there isn't even a force contesting the institution of the Monarchy in Britain.
And mine toooo..
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
And mine toooo..
And I feel affection for the monarchy as well, despite being an American! Maybe it's my heritage of Dutch, English, Scottish, Welsh and Hawaiian!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Courtier

I voted UK because it appears to be breaking up. I do think, however, that the Monarchy will survive in England if the English will have Charles and Camilla. I don't think Australia will hang around for that though...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Courtier

Really at this moment I would say the UK is one of the safest houses.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

If UK falls, then there is no hope for any other of the European monarchies

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)