The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?
Belgium 81 20.25%
Denmark 12 3.00%
Great Britain 39 9.75%
Liechtenstein 12 3.00%
Luxembourg 9 2.25%
Monaco 16 4.00%
The Netherlands 4 1.00%
Norway 55 13.75%
Spain 141 35.25%
Sweden 31 7.75%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 AM
CrownPrinceLorenzo's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bensenville, United States
Posts: 229
Edit: I read the article way back in 2002, so I got confused. This was the Swedish king.

I still vote for Norway, because my friend is Norwegian and he's not very fond of monarchies.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,325
He did :O when (I Hope Europe keeps its Kings and Queens and Prnces and Grand Dukes)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
I hope it won't be Spain, the work that the king and queen have done is really important and significant, they have contributed a lot to their country. So hopefully Felipe and Letizia will be able to follow their steps and be able to maintain the monarchy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Mette2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Aalborg, Denmark
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
I voted for Norway because King Harald V got a pie thrown in his face.
Wasn't it Carl Gustaf who had a pie thrown in his face some years back by some youngsters, who wanted to raise the issue if the monarchy was really necessary in Sweden? Well, actually I don't know if Harald had a pie thrown in his face too. So, if he did then you're right, and I'm sorry.:o
__________________
www.shakespearecompany.dk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse Pedersen
I too voted Norway, for reasons already mentioned: The interest in the Norwegian monarchy seems to have hit an all time low - which is sad. I hope that the Norwegian monarchy will survive this lack of interest by improving their PR. Personally, I find that TM the King and Queen of Norway seem very sympathetical.

/Lasse Pedersen
you know what, I'm always learning on this Forum: I had no idea that the animo for the Norwegean royals in their country was so, well, lackluster. What is so wrong with their PR? It seems fine to me, if anything. Their king seems perceived as a nice guy and reasonable person, Haakon seems to me an intelligent and nice guy too. Sure, there's Mette Marit's not so stellar past, but do the Norwegians still see that as an issue? Or are people there pretty pragmatic about things and is the mystery of this family somehow gone, but again, how come? What PR does this family need to improve?
It's also weird to me because for example in the Netherlands, Alexander can do what he wants, lie in interviews that he believes his father in law (when Zorreguieta told him that when a minister in the Videla regime, Z. contended to Alex that he didn't have the faintest idea that his colleagues were murdering people who had committed the crime of having differing political view points!! And that the four people that he, Zorreguieta, was aware of that were kidnapped by the regime, came back alive..And Alex is dumb enough to tell interviewers he believes his father in law!) and there's hardly any protest about that for example, the Dutch are very defensive when it comes to this family..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
I think these are just opinions of what people think from what they read from the newspapers, magazines or internet. We really dont know and hopefully those monarchies will continue for a long time. The fact is that if they do not renew themselves and take more roles on their societies, young people will not value them as good as it was 2 decades ago. Times changes and societies evolve, so monarchies need too continue improving and being useful for their countries.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I think these are just opinions of what people think from what they read from the newspapers, magazines or internet. We really dont know and hopefully those monarchies will continue for a long time. The fact is that if they do not renew themselves and take more roles on their societies, young people will not value them as good as it was 2 decades ago. Times changes and societies evolve, so monarchies need too continue improving and being useful for their countries.
Very well said. The thing though is that even if they modernize themselves to death, we're still talking about an archaic, medieval concept that's survived in some countries to this day: the descendants of, mostly, warlords who back in the day managed to bully themselves to the top of the heap. (because, yes, folks, this is how 'blue bloods' were created in the first place, like it or not)
So in the current situation, these descendants have to walk the very fine line of trying to be as modern as possible, while trying to maintain a certain distance for the sake of the much-needed mystique, all the while realizing that thanks to archaic customs, they are where they are: they weren't chosen for the position, but merely born into it.

which, in the eyes of modern people, translates easily into: these people wouldn't be picked for the job if their parents hadn't been in it in the first place.

I personally think there's still a definite need for monarchs in the role of the proverbial non-partisan ambassador. I think it's a n important role because it can add value to the cohesiveness of a nation.

But meanwhile, the more people see that random people, for example a random Australian, can zip in, get a make over, and do the job, the more likely they will think: 'well, if some girl off the street can do it, how difficult could this job really be?' And, worse: the 'If Mary/mette Marit/etc can do this gig, <my> daughter could--heck, why are we still paying these people?!' I don't mean to sound like I'm against royalty marrying commoners, but I think it's a slippery slope this way: the more 'commoners' on the job, the more us common folk will think: well, let's do away with this nonsense!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I hope it won't be Spain, the work that the king and queen have done is really important and significant, they have contributed a lot to their country. So hopefully Felipe and Letizia will be able to follow their steps and be able to maintain the monarchy.
I totally agree with you Ariel! It would be such a shame after all of the hard work JC and Sofia have put in. Although it does worry me to say that i don't think that the monarchy will be as popular when there is King Felipe and Queen Letizia :( But that's just my opinion
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Maxie's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The great city of N., Netherlands
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
It's also weird to me because for example in the Netherlands, Alexander can do what he wants, lie in interviews that he believes his father in law (when Zorreguieta told him that when a minister in the Videla regime, Z. contended to Alex that he didn't have the faintest idea that his colleagues were murdering people who had committed the crime of having differing political view points!! And that the four people that he, Zorreguieta, was aware of that were kidnapped by the regime, came back alive..And Alex is dumb enough to tell interviewers he believes his father in law!) and there's hardly any protest about that for example, the Dutch are very defensive when it comes to this family..
Yes, they really are. And it is beyond me, to be honest. We had several scandals the last few years (Maxima's father, Edwin & Margarita and the whole Mabel business) but the Dutch are still cheering about their RF. Me included, btw. I just love them. :) But from a PR point of view, it's just weird, because they handled the scandals I mentioned above very badly (with Mabel & Friso lying all the time, Margarita hanging out the dirty laundry in Elsevier and W-A saying very very stupid things about the Videla regime...) But the RF has never been so popular as they are at the moment. I said it before and I'm going to say it again: Dutch people are just weird (I strongly believe that they just have a thing for dressing up orange all the time, and without the RF it wouldn't make sense anymore... )

In the poll I voted for Norway too. Just because I heard that the family is not particulary popular by the Norwegian people... I certainly hope it will never happen, btw.
__________________
Toute royale
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Yes, they really are. And it is beyond me, to be honest. We had several scandals the last few years (Maxima's father, Edwin & Margarita and the whole Mabel business) but the Dutch are still cheering about their RF. Me included, btw. I just love them. :) But from a PR point of view, it's just weird, because they handled the scandals I mentioned above very badly (with Mabel & Friso lying all the time, Margarita hanging out the dirty laundry in Elsevier and W-A saying very very stupid things about the Videla regime...) But the RF has never been so popular as they are at the moment. I said it before and I'm going to say it again: Dutch people are just weird (I strongly believe that they just have a thing for dressing up orange all the time, and without the RF it wouldn't make sense anymore... )

In the poll I voted for Norway too. Just because I heard that the family is not particulary popular by the Norwegian people... I certainly hope it will never happen, btw.
hahaha Maxie, I'm Dutch myself so I know what you mean! The other day I was at a party where someone was referring to "the queen" and clearly, they meant Elizabeth of england--I live in California and beyond the British royals there's not much royalty awareness here--but my reaction to them was something along the lines of: well, there's more than one queen you know, and mine happens to be Beatrix! and I actually couldn't believe how defensive I was in this regard! goes to show!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
The Norwegians have horrible PR. They take the Royal HIGHNESS part really seriously. They do many things that ordinary people cant do and that gives them really bad press. I like the members of the family a lot and Hakoon and M-M are some of my favourites but they dont gather attention. Its hard to see how they contribute to the nation and they have reduced the "royal" part of the monarchy to a point where it seems like a hereditary republic. Theres just not much there that makes there monarchy so much fun and unique.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
The Norwegians have horrible PR. They take the Royal HIGHNESS part really seriously. They do many things that ordinary people cant do and that gives them really bad press.
you serious?!? tell us more tell us more! See, since I happen to be Dutch, I happen to know, as do and should all Dutch folks, a lot about the flaws of the members of the family that's currently wearing the tiara's in the Netherlands (i.e. Maxima's morally bankrupt dad and a mom who wrote an open letter of support to mass murderer general Videla as recently as the late eighties--one wonders what kinds of values they managed to instill in their kid? ~shudder~. When speaking about corruption, Alexander surely picked the right in-laws: his own granddad Bernhard turned to bribaries for the arms trade because he needed the dough for his out-of-wedlock daughters and mistresses! etc. etc.)

But when it comes to some other royal families--the Norwegian for instance--I know next to nothing, so I tend to like them more! harald seems an ok guy who's not stuck up. Am I dead wrong about this? Sonja seems nice enough, and the opposite of arrogant. Haakon and MM: ok people, seemingly. All right, there's Martha Louise, for some reason she annoys me with her milking her royal status to fatten her bank account by writing two sentences and publishing them as a 'children's book', ugh. seems unclassy. But anyways, overall, this royal family if anything seems quite the ticket. What do I not know that you folks do??



Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Theres just not much there that makes there monarchy so much fun and unique.
hmm one could say that about a lot of other royal families, non?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-02-2006, 05:37 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
As a Norwegian I'm a bit conflicted. Yes, the latest poll has shown that teens don't find the monarchy interesting - but, these boards aside, how many teens do?

Considering that Haakon is one of the ones in the family with a fairly high approval rating, along with his father, - I don't see the monarchy disappearing in the first generation. I think that many Norwegians are much like myself, we know what we have - we don't know what we'll get.

Also, the royal family isn't as unpopular in Norway as I've seen it portrayed in this thread. There have been incidents, but haven't there been so in every royal family?

The republican sentiment in Norway isn't high, despite the incidents, of which there haven't been so many that someone would think of changing the form of governments just because of that.

Harald is our king, and he really proved himself to be that when he appeared in hurricane-destroyed parts of the country in 1992, way before any national politician did. (The Prime Minister's office, by the way, sent a reprimand, as they felt he was stepping over his line...) People had his doubts about Harald before then, as he hadn't been leading the people WWII as his father and grandfather, and it was felt that he had been living in his father's shadow, but that cemented a good reputation.

Should Ingrid Alexandra not want to take on the role when it is her turn, or get too political, or involved in scandals, I think we might be talking about some change, though. But as the current situation is, I doubt it will happen in the immediate future.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
Well since we are talking about monarchies changing in the future I though we should post articles that talk about it. I found an intresting one about Belgium but I dont know if its to reliable.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...utional+revamp

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...m%2C+extremism
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Maxie's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The great city of N., Netherlands
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Well since we are talking about monarchies changing in the future I though we should post articles that talk about it. I found an intresting one about Belgium but I dont know if its to reliable.
I personally don't think there will be much changes in Belgium. This kind of talk pops up from time to time in the Netherlands too: Will W-A have the same amount of power as his mother has? Is he suitable for being a King? European politicians love to talk and finally nothing changes (at least the Dutch do, they talk and talk and talk. I sometimes think they love to hear themselves talk... all they want is more power, without a nasty King or Queen in the way who can say: 'No, I won't sign it!', a thing which happens rarely, by the way.) Personally I don't think Belgium will break up or will seperate in a Dutch speaking part and a French speaking part due to economic differences. They have been one country for over 175 years now. If they had any intention of breaking up, they would have done it years ago.
__________________
Toute royale
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: -, United States
Posts: 996
I voted for Norway for all the reasons listed already and because I think the Royal Family's downsizing, such as not granting Sverre Magnus a "HRH" or "HH" title, will speed up the process of a republic being established in Norway. I mean it's not that I don't believe that the Royal Family isn't performing its duties properly, it's just that Norway certainly can't be defined as a nation of monarchists. But hopefully the people of Norway cut Ingrid Alexandra (and Haakon before her) some slack and let them carry on the monarchy.

I could also see Spain becoming a republic, but I think the threat looms much closer in Norway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden doesn't become a republic in the next fifty years, since the King has like no role in the Swedish government. However, I am sure that if the Swedish people give her a chance, she will make an excellent Queen.
__________________
Sii forte.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-04-2006, 04:34 AM
lilytornado's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -, United States
Posts: 504
hmm thats all very interesting. Whats with non-european countries?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: -, United States
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
hmm thats all very interesting. Whats with non-european countries?
That's a good idea for a poll
__________________
Sii forte.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Personally I don't think Belgium will break up or will seperate in a Dutch speaking part and a French speaking part due to economic differences. They have been one country for over 175 years now. If they had any intention of breaking up, they would have done it years ago.
agreed! Wallonia is to poor to survive on its own and Flanders will lose Brussels if they split up, which will never be acceptable for them either. So they have no other choise then stick together. Apart from that, most belgians do not want to split up anyway :).
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 PM
rop81's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Middle of nowhere, Sweden
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
As a Norwegian I'm a bit conflicted. Yes, the latest poll has shown that teens don't find the monarchy interesting - but, these boards aside, how many teens do?
I remember a poll in Sweden some time ago, maybe a year or two, where the young people showed a very strong support for the monarchy (supriceingly) I think that the number was about 80%, wich is very good. This is to me a very positive thing and i hope that the monarchy will keep such a good portion of supporter for the future, and i think that Victoria will be a very good and popular queen. (and maybe for the sake of the monarchy the king should step down in some time, and not stay until death. I think Victoria will have a better chance to keep the monarchy alive then the king, to many "frogs" coming out of his mouth.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which country is likely to become a monarchy (again), and why? Lox General Royal Discussion 316 08-06-2014 01:08 PM
From a country saved by the Monarchy Haliotis Member Introductions and Updates 3 03-30-2008 03:27 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]