The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?
Belgium 81 20.30%
Denmark 12 3.01%
Great Britain 39 9.77%
Liechtenstein 12 3.01%
Luxembourg 9 2.26%
Monaco 16 4.01%
The Netherlands 4 1.00%
Norway 55 13.78%
Spain 140 35.09%
Sweden 31 7.77%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Commoner

My bet is on Australia as the next to become a republic, but Her Majesty is going there soon. Maybe this Royal Visit will change some minds. Would be good.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Bahrain for failing to understand the Arab spring and adapt accordingly.
Swaziland because the king keeps spending money on his family that should be spent on his people.
Belgium because politicians seem intend on breaking the country up. The RF seem to be the only Belgians in Belgium.
They have always been the only Belgians in the world.

I don't see Bahrain becoming a Republic anytime soon, but I hope it does.
Swaziland is an oligarchy, not a monarchy.

-John Hancock, upon signing the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Roku XIV View Post
I have even heard talk of Canada becoming a republic after the Queen's reign is over. I sure hope this never comes to pass.
Well in Canada the process requires not only the approval of Parliament but also that of all 10 provinces and the provinces have never agreed on anything when it come sto constitutional change.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

End of any Monarchies?

The only Reigning Monarchy that i could really see heading in that direction in future, but not necessarily soon, would be Bahrain because of the recent and ongoing unrest and oppression of the people, especially with the Sunni/Shia imbalance and divide, and the Bahraini Al-Khalifah Dynasty being of the Sunni minority (but ruling elite).
I cant think of any other obviously and equally unpopular ruling dynasties at any similar level of crisis, but i suppose the ones to watch in the longer-term future for signs of any public (and brave) unrest could be Saudi Arabia.
Other countries that could maybe have the ingredients for unrest or political crisis are not obvious candidates for any anger to be directed and targeted at their fairly or even very popular Monarchies - Morocco, Jordan, Thailand.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
From what I have read Juan Carlos is respected for his role in transitioning the nation from a fascist dictatorship to a constitutional monarchy.
Not necessarily to a constitutional monarchy, but to democracy. Many people think that JC's job is done and that the constitutional monarchy served its purpose.

When the first goes, others will follow. I see Spain or Belgium among the first, Denmark & Britain among the last to go.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Gentry

Confusion

The results of this poll are completely confusing. Spain is rated as most likely to abolish it`s Monarchy, despite the fact that none of the mainstream parties, in Spanish politics, have any real committment to doing so. Sweden, conversely, is given one of the lowest ratings and yet, the social democrats, communists and greens are all committed to at least holding a referendum on the subject, at some stage.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Serene Highness

But I think Swedish people in general have no real interest in abolishing the monarchy. Victoria at least is popular.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James VI View Post
The results of this poll are completely confusing. Spain is rated as most likely to abolish it`s Monarchy, despite the fact that none of the mainstream parties, in Spanish politics, have any real committment to doing so. Sweden, conversely, is given one of the lowest ratings and yet, the social democrats, communists and greens are all committed to at least holding a referendum on the subject, at some stage.
what i don't get is why Norway is among the first three. What is the reason?
I can imagine Belgium, Sweden and Spain will become republics. And i understand why people voted for them. But i do not understand the votes for Norway.
But, as i said before, my poll likely to unlikely would be:
1. Spain
2. Sweden
3. Belgium
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Please note that speculative posts (as well as responses to the initial post) have been deleted.

While the purpose of this thread is to share your opinion on Which European country is most likely to be a republic, let's not forget that you should stick to stated facts and what is known.

We are not going to predict the deaths of any monarch (sick or not), nor are we going to personally slam them with unfounded statements.

Any and all posts that continue to do so will be deleted without notice.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

Abolished and Restored.

This excellent article is very topical and interesting re recently abolished Monarchies (Nepal) and other either restored or restituted Royals and Monarchies. BBC News Magazine - What next for Kings?

Link correction - WHAT DO MONARCHS DO NEXT?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7426349.stm
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhije View Post
The only Reigning Monarchy that i could really see heading in that direction in future, but not necessarily soon, would be Bahrain because of the recent and ongoing unrest and oppression of the people, especially with the Sunni/Shia imbalance and divide, and the Bahraini Al-Khalifah Dynasty being of the Sunni minority (but ruling elite).
I cant think of any other obviously and equally unpopular ruling dynasties at any similar level of crisis, but i suppose the ones to watch in the longer-term future for signs of any public (and brave) unrest could be Saudi Arabia.
Other countries that could maybe have the ingredients for unrest or political crisis are not obvious candidates for any anger to be directed and targeted at their fairly or even very popular Monarchies - Morocco, Jordan, Thailand.
I think the example of Bahrain is a very good one, Ruhije, and as you have explained, the situation there is quite unique. Reigning houses will only ever be threatened if there is sufficient political will to exploit popular discontent, something we have not seen here in the West, with regards to monarchies. We may occassionally criticise our Royal families, and there may on occassion be justification for such criticism, but ulitimately, the idea of replacing a centuries old institution with a soulless republic, is simply to much to even contemplate and our political " masters " know this only too well.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

Future Abolished Monarchies

Yes, apart from recent troubles in unique Bahrain, what other Monarchies have any obvious political ingredients or circumstances for popular uprising or crisis leading to a monarchy being abolished?
Saudi Arabia could have unrest in the future, but with only a small Shia minority in the eastern region, and ruling Sunni majority Al-Saud Dynasty, its not the same imbalance and situation as Bahrain.
Also the situation and unrest in Bahrain started off not so much as just an anti-Monarchy issue, but as much or predominantly a Shia/Sunni discontent and discrimination issue.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhije View Post
This excellent article is very topical and interesting re recently abolished Monarchies (Nepal) and other either restored or restituted Royals and Monarchies. BBC News Magazine - What next for Kings?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2hi/uk_news/magazine/7426349.stm
Apologies! - Link correction -

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What do monarchs do next?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I would put Swaziland on the list for possible overthrow. The King, his many wives and large family live a luxurious life in an impoverished country ravaged by HIV AIDS. There is little in the way of democracy and stories of foreign aid funds being diverted to the royal family.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Swaziland and Lesotho.

Thats interesting about Swaziland, and a Kingdom i only know a little about.
I dont know how strongly their Monarchy is tied in with Tribal loyalty and popularity among the Swazi people and the nations identity?

I have heard similar or more regarding the politics and Monarchy in Lesotho, several years ago, and must check out their current situation and status too.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would put Swaziland on the list for possible overthrow. The King, his many wives and large family live a luxurious life in an impoverished country ravaged by HIV AIDS. There is little in the way of democracy and stories of foreign aid funds being diverted to the royal family.
I agree, Swaziland's monarchy style cannot hold for much longer.
Concerning the King's many wives though, isn't he actually obliged to marry a woman from every tribe or region?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

He takes a new wife each year at some sort of national ceremony. The problem is the expense of housing/clothing all these ladies as the years go by, as well as all the children that result. What once was seen as normal has become quite costly to a poor nation these days. There is a pro democracy movement, as well as a push from outside the nation for more democratic and open institutions but not sure how influential they have been.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Aristocracy

Confused and want Answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James VI View Post
Same here, i dont understand the reasoning in the answers and percentages given in this poll. My point is the same made, the poll results just dont make sense or add-up when compared to the political situations and governments attitudes or policy regarding the Monarchies polled highest for being abolished.
Personally i cant see any obvious Monarchy in Europe so unpopular or near any kind of crisis to even be scored high at all in this poll.
It might have made more sense or been more relevant if the poll had covered the whole World of Monarchies, and not just Europe where all the Monarchies are generally stable and most are at worst reasonably popular (this is supported by various national polls on Monarchies).
The only Monarchy, or more so the only Nation, in Europe where i could see any potential for any future problem of concern for it's Monarchy would possibly be Belgium.
But i dont see this as an Anti-Monarchy issue, but a political issue of the Flemish and Walloon problem. And even then, in the worst case scenario of Belgium splitting (which i think most unlikely), i could still perceive a secure and stable future for the Belgian Monarchy under any new Walloonian Belgium, without Flanders.
The idea of Spain getting rid of its Monarchy really baffles me!
A World Monarchies Poll would be more interesting, as it could then include Monarchies like - Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Swaziland, Lesotho, etc.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Which non-European country is likely to become a republic soon, and why?

As per Ruhije's suggestion made in "Which European country is likely to become a republic, and why?", I thought it will be interesting to find out which of the other world Monarchies, including the Commonwealth realms (other than the UK) are likely to become Monarchies any time soon.

I'm not sure how to add a poll, so hopefully one of the admins or moderators will do that.

The choice is the following:

Commonwealth Realms excluding the United Kingdom (Head of State - Elizabeth II)
- Canada
- Australia
- New Zealand
- Bahamas
- Barbados
- Belize
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Jamaica
- Grenada
- Papua New Guinea
- Tuvalu
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Solomon Islands

Other Monarchies:
- Japan (Emperor Akihito)
- Jordan (Abdullah II)
- Morocco (Mohammed VI)
- Thailand (King Bhumibol Adulyadej)
- Bahrain (King Hamad ibn Isa)
- Saudi Arabia (King Abdullah bin Abdul‘aziz)
- Bhutan (King Jigme Khesar Namgyel)
- Cambodia (King Norodom Sihamoni)
- Lesotho (King Letsie III)
- Malaysia (King Mizan Zainal Abidin)
- Swaziland (King Mswati III)
- Tonga (King Siaosi Tupou V)
- Brunei (Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah)
- Oman (Sultan Qaboos bin Said)
- Kuwait (Emir Sabah al-Ahmad)
- Qatar (Emir Hamad bin Khalifa)
- United Arab Emirates (Khalifa bin Zayed)
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

Monarchy or Republic?

Yes, i do think this is an interesting debate, but im confused now by these various threads as some of us have been already discussing this issue (and also Which Republics could become a Monarchy?) in two other threads in the General Royal Discussion section, the similar established thread we are having this debate in is "Which Country could Abolish its Monarchy"?
Although, Yes a Poll on these would be really more interesting and have much more scope than just Europe!
I have already sited Bahrain as the only obvious or possible Monarchy that i can see could have the ingredients for this in the future, mainly due to the Shia/Sunni issue and recent unrest, and the Al-Khalifa Monarchies handling of this situation.
I think Saudi Arabia may be another to watch in the longterm future, but i dont think its as obvious as Bahrain and the Al-Khalifah Dynasty.
Others have suggested in their recent posts, maybe Swaziland, but i cant think of any other common or obvious suggestions of other Monarchies actually likely to be abolished and become Republics.
I suppose various Commonwealth Countries are always a possibility.