The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?
Belgium 81 20.25%
Denmark 12 3.00%
Great Britain 39 9.75%
Liechtenstein 12 3.00%
Luxembourg 9 2.25%
Monaco 16 4.00%
The Netherlands 4 1.00%
Norway 55 13.75%
Spain 141 35.25%
Sweden 31 7.75%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Aristocracy

I think that Belgium has more posibilities to abolish his monarchy than Spain. In Spain the King and the Queen are very beloved for the people (of course there're people that doesn't love them, like in all the countries). But the problem I think that will arrive when Felipe and Letizia were crowned. King Juan Carlos is a very good King and I don't know if the people will accept Felipe :(

Regards!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Gentry

I know I'm showing up late to this conversation, but I only just discovered the thread. I find this discussion fascinating.

I've always had the impression that the Borbons enjoyed wide popularity in Spain. I didn't think their position was so tenuous. It has always seemed to me, though, that - as Spain was without a monarch for four decades - it would be a shorter psychological trip (so to speak) for the Spanish to toss their monarchy then for citizens of countries that have always had them. So even if the Spanish royals have the esteem of their subjects for now, it might take fewer scandals and a shorter period of public disenchantment to get them their walking papers. But I like to think their position is secure. Press coverage in the English-speaking world, at least, makes out that the younger generation - including Letizia - is quite popular.

I also like to think that the Norwegian royals enjoy a more comfortable position than they did a dozen years ago, when the country was adjusting to the new king and queen. I think the Norwegian case shows that the tide can turn quickly. Wasn't King Olav enormously popular right up until his death? Harald and Sonja, on the other hand, really seem to have taken a pounding in the nineties. So while the Danish and Swedish royals seem to be sitting pretty, the case could be very different early in the reigns of Frederick X and Queen Victoria. This seems particularly so because it will (hopefully) be a long time before Carl Gustaf and Margrethe leave us, and there is plenty of time for images to change.

I hope the Belgian royals hang on. I really want there to be a Queen Mathilde. I'd hazzard a guess that every monarchy enjoys greater support than any poll indicates. There's a big difference between saying you want a republic in a poll and actually voting for a republic in a referendum. The last poll I read about indicated that just over fifty percent of Belgians wanted the monarchy to continue. So I hope this means that at least sixty percent of the country would vote to keep the royals in a referendum.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Courtier

I believe the next monarchy to go will be Thailand because the king is beloved
by the people and when he passes it is over.Because his son the crown prince
is not liked that much by the people.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it could be Thailand too. I think the British Monarchy will be around for awhile.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I think, and i don't know why but Monaco.
I really hope it doesn't, but I see the country becoming a republic with maybe Albert as the president hehe :)
x
The Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861, which was revised in 2002, says that if a Grimaldi is not on the throne, it will remain independent from France - probably with a President. I also doubt that Monaco would 'go under' financially is the monarchy was abolished - its reputation as a playground for the rich and famous would most likley go on.

In Asia, I disagree Sereta that Thailand's monarchy could go. The Thai's (including the media) treat the King with more respect than most western countries do.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

I believe that the monarchies in danger may be of Asiaticis countries because in these countries exists a great political instability and it favors the change of form of State… I think that the Spanish monarchy cannot be abolished, they have a important mision to the front of the State, the monarchy gives equality and unit to the Spanish territory .
the politicians, nevertheless, create inequality between the Spanish....
Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, they love their present King and rightly so. But from what I've heard they're not so crazy about his son. I do hope Thailand's monarchy will last though.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Commoner

I don't know about the Asian monarchies, but in Europe I'm thinking Spain. Felipe is not widely popular, sadly.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

My guess?The Netherlands,people there don't seem satisfied with the monarchy.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Courtier

I never got quite the same impression, could you explain why you think Dutch are not satisfied with their Monarchy?

Of all the current Monarchies, I always thought the Monarchy of the Netherlands is among the safest.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Commoner

The Netherlands is the safest, I agree Marsel
Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Nobility

I've read that almost every country are not satisfied with the Monarchy. But look on this: British complains on their royal but most of them love everything what is connected with them. So as far it's rather safe.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I'm not an expert on Belgium. The whole goverment, including the royal family I guess completely failed. The cities are dangerous and there are even a lot of people who want to belong to the Netherlands. Says enough.
I think Mathilde is in their eyes a grey mouse. She doesn't warm the people with her ethiusiasm like Maxima can nor she says anything interesting I guess. As I said, i'm not an expert on the Belgians.
As a Belgian I can tell you that is not true ! Our cities aren't more dangerous than others ! And the number of people who wants to belong tho the netherlands is rather small !
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royallife View Post
As a Belgian I can tell you that is not true ! Our cities aren't more dangerous than others ! And the number of people who wants to belong tho the netherlands is rather small !
ITA agree with you Royallife
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

I just hope that no more European countries abolish their monarchy. Same goes for Japan, since they are the only country with an Emperor.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caphia View Post
I don't know about the Asian monarchies, but in Europe I'm thinking Spain. Felipe is not widely popular, sadly.
I'm surprised to hear this Caphia. Felipe and Letizia seem to be very hardworking. I think only the Prince of Wales & Duchess maybe work more. And everywhere they go the crowds look enthusiastic in the pictures. Why would he not be popular?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Commoner

Becuase they prefer Elena to be queen, long story. I prefer that as well, they percentage of Republicans is growing widely. Something that some are not willing to accept. The popularity of the Borbon's is going down, we don't know what may happen after Juan Carlos dies. Just becuase they are hardworking doesnt mean that they are popular, yes they try. But there's a high percentage of younr republicans and after all we are the future of the country.

As a Spaniard, I will like to see Infanta Elena ascending to the throne she's the rightful heir, or if Letizia has a male child he should be king instead of Leonor, that's the right thing to do.
IMO.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

As a Spaniard, I will like to see Infanta Elena ascending to the throne she's the rightful heir, or if Letizia has a male child he should be king instead of Leonor, that's the right thing to do.
IMO.
Thats a very interesting statement and I agree with that.

I have another question. Not long ago I saw a documentary about the swedish monarchy. It was said that crown princess Victoria is very popular in Sweden, nevertheless the Swedish would prefer a democracy. As some of the reasons for that it was said the swedish king hasn't a lot to say, the monarchy is seen as quite useless and even undemocratic and antiquated. One "expert" said that the swedish monarchy maybe would barley rest only a few years after all.

So, what do you think about that? And do we have swedish members, which can tell us as a Insider how the feelings in Sweden are?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Becuase they prefer Elena to be queen, long story. IMO.
Spaniards prefer Elena to be Queen ? Where did you hear about it ? I only heard Elena was not prepared to be Queen, long story too . Prince Felipe has always been very popular (as popular as any of the heirs out there), the most popular among his siblings, Elena is the least. If the monanchy is abolished one day, it's because it has runned its course, has nothing to do with Felipe's popularity.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Commoner

edit*