Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
By suggestion from Ariel:

Which reigning royal house in Europe is more likely to become non reigning, in other words, which european country is more likely to become a republic?

[QUOTE="Ariel"Many claims that having a monarchy is something that belongs to the previous century. Another factor is that every day royals face more criticism from their people and their populary have decreased.][/QUOTE]

Seeing as the monarchies of Europe drastically declined in number in the last century, I think that this could be an interesting discussion on many levels, on what the future holds, so discuss away :D

The Principality of Andorra, and its co-princes are not included.

Last edited:
I think Norway, Spain, Belgium and the UK are most at risk for becoming republics or drastic changes in the kingdoms like nations breaking up.

I cant decide between Norways and Spain, in recent days Ive read that royals in Norways are having lot of criticism and their popularity is in decreasing specially among young people. In Spain it is hard to say, they seem to have lots of republicans advocators and there are many who support the monarchy that are mainly Juancarlista (people who supports the King Juan Carlos), so maybe those are for me, more likely to become republics, unless their crown princes and princesses regain the support of the people.

i vote Great Britian

It would be helpful if people mentioned some of the reasons for why they believe it to be so. Listing a bunch of countries really don't do anything, except give us a list of a bunch of countries... while some might find it helpful, this is a discussion forum.

BeatrixFan said:
Over my rotting dead corpse.
And mine! People's affection for and sense of connection to our Monarchy is a firm quality of British charactor. Besides a vulgar minority of British republicans (who very few ever take seriously), there isn't even a force contesting the institution of the Monarchy in Britain.

I voted for Norway because the people just dont care for it anymore. The state and church relationship will most likely end pretty soon and that is an importent part of the monarchy. The NRF just dont generate that much intreset and receive a lot of critism. I like the members of the royal family but they have horrible PR. The royal family was ment to be a very importent part of modern Norway when it won its independence 100 years ago but the RF has lost its place and it doesnt seem like they are trying to get it back. Spain because the people LOVE the King but I dont think they care much for the rest of the royal family. Yes Letizia has generated more interest and has boosted their popularity but I dont think Felipe can unite all of spain the way his father does. How much longer can spain function has a single nation. The Basque and Catalonian regions are trying to gain independence. I dont know if Spain can survive as the single nation it is today in the 21st Century. The same goes for Belgium. I dont know how much longer the monarchy can unite the nation. They nation doesnt really have much holding it together. Yes things are peacefull now but things can change. As for the UK, I dont know if it can remain united in the 21st century. There has been develoution, and more power is being given to Scotland, Wales, and soon N. Ireland will have its political power back. How long can Scotland and N. Ireland stay untied with England in the 21st century. Everybody wants their own slice of the pie and I think that is going to cause problems. Just my opinion. Anything can happen in this century.

Princejohnny25 said:
I voted for Norway because the people just dont care for it anymore. The state and church relationship will most likely end pretty soon and that is an importent part of the monarchy. The NRF just dont generate that much intreset and receive a lot of critism.

Yes, thats why i've voted for Norway

I hope history will prove me wrong, but I voted for Spain.

The reason is not the individuals who make up the Spanish royal family. If anything, King Juan Carlos is admired and loved in Spain. but--I have many Spanish friends from all over Spain--and they all are very very sceptical about the whole concept of monarchy. It's evidently not something people feel they can't live without in that country. I get the sense people tolerate the monarchy rather than actively endorse it>

Sincerely it is something that I do not dare to guess. The history is complicated and gives many returns. Neither I know the real situation of the Monarchies of other countries.:confused:

The Spanish case is very complex, the Spanish Monarchy is not how other; its situation always has been in certain unstable form, but simultaneously this instability has done that they were adapting to being a Monarchy for the XXIst century. The King Juan Carlos played a historical important role, and it is evident that the Prince Felipe is not going to live through the same historical events. The Prince have a very good career and political education, and he does very well his work ... the problem is that he lives in the shade of his father, and that the press gives of him a too frivolous image ... it imports his personal life, but not his work. Every time that of more protagonism and it will do the Prince that his work values more.

Spain is not a Monarchic country, but the Monarchy is better valued that the politicians. Our politicians go of bad in worse, so how it is in the habit of saying ... of bad the better thing ... and in this case it is in the habit of being the Monarchy. In Spain it is never known what can happen, our XXth century, it passed for the Monarchy, the Republic and the dictatorship, the whole couple of times ... the territorial problems are the same that one century ago.

The world changes very rapidly and everything can happen. How I read recently ... the Borbones always return ... so the one who does know?:rolleyes:

I can't say which one might, but I know that England, The Netherlands, and Denmark certainly don't have anything to worry about. Both English and Danish royals enjoy a LONG history, and their respective publics see their monarchies as a needed entity (think what tourism in England would be like if there were no changing of the guards and no Buckingham!).
And I seriously think Beatrix will be remembered as "Beatrix the Great" someday, so it would take a LOT for W-A and later heirs/heiresses to mess up a legacy that is going so strong (plus, they have the wonderfully charming Princess Maxima). From the Williams, Wilhelmina, Juliana, and Beatrix, I think the Dutch love their monarchs (I have a Dutch aunt and she told me so). :)

I would say Norway or Spain and maybe Great Britain. Norway and Spain for the reasons mentioned in the above posts. I get the impression that people are holding onto Queen Elizabeth II with all they can. I'm not sure Charles and Camilla can hold the fort over for William. Besides, some of the BRF "scandals" certainly aren't helping. I, personally think it's going to be William and Harry's bride choice that might have some weight. If I'm getting a complete wrong impression, feel free to correct me.

I voted Spain because the monarchie is new and mainly Juancarlist, after him only god knows. The people on the streets respects Juan Carlos and Sofia but at heart a lot of them are republicans, depends on the future politicals and social movements, Spain is right now really hot in internal politic.

Scherezada said:
I voted Spain because the monarchie is new and mainly Juancarlist, after him only god knows. The people on the streets respects Juan Carlos and Sofia but at heart a lot of them are republicans, depends on the future politicals and social movements, Spain is right now really hot in internal politic.
A very wise comment. I totally agree with you and Lula, who had some great insights as well. I can only hope for Spain that the legacy of the great current king will long outlast him, if not one could fear the worst for the Spanish monarchy. But who knows of course. :)

I too voted Norway, for reasons already mentioned: The interest in the Norwegian monarchy seems to have hit an all time low - which is sad. I hope that the Norwegian monarchy will survive this lack of interest by improving their PR. Personally, I find that TM the King and Queen of Norway seem very sympathetical.

/Lasse Pedersen

I dont see it happening in the UK either.
Although I think that some of the other countries that recognize the British Monarch as their head-of-state will eventually choose to sever ties with the monarchy, especially when most of their people dont have the emotional bond with the institution that the British have.
I voted for Norway, btw, mostly because I often hear about the decline in interest for their royals, it just doesnt seem as popular compared to the other scandinavian monarchies.

i have doubts between norway and spain, i voted for norway though as from all the other monarchies it seems the less consolidated one. both the spanish and norwegian contemporary monarchies are "young" compared to the others and that makes them weaker in some way. it was a surprise to see after i voted that these two were the two leading ones in the poll with the same amount of votes.

BeatrixFan said:
Over my rotting dead corpse.
Hear, hear! I couldn't imagine the monarchy being overthrown in Britain itself - just look at the way people light up when they see their royal family. A republic is unthinkable. What would happen to tourism when the foremost thing people associate with Britain is gone? As well as this, it would be simply impractical and pointless to change from the current form of government to a republic with a president of all things! Even if you got rid of them on paper, the royals would still be there, in the newspapers and magazines doing their good work! ;) Sorry.. that's my two cents.
But back to the question at hand... I think the current mood in Norway is indifferent to the monarchy, so hypothetically I would say Norway would be the first to become a republic (and I would be very happy if someone could contradict me). :eek: But I don't know; monarchies have presumably been through worse than mere grumblings of a disgruntled few.

Von Schlesian said:
And mine! People's affection for and sense of connection to our Monarchy is a firm quality of British charactor. Besides a vulgar minority of British republicans (who very few ever take seriously), there isn't even a force contesting the institution of the Monarchy in Britain.

And over mine!!! You don't want to establish republic in Britain over so many corpses, do you?:( Right, my opinion might not be counted for I am not a Brit but I just can't see monarchy in Britain be abolished, that doesn't even make a sence! Britain, without a monarchy, that's a comedy or a fantasy:p ! I definetely don't see British Monarchy in any danger. HM Queen Elizabeth II is a great monarch, her son HRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales will be just as great one day, I am sure. And counting people's love for Prince William, I'd say the monarcy is guaranteed at least for another century!:D

Edit: I read the article way back in 2002, so I got confused. This was the Swedish king.

I still vote for Norway, because my friend is Norwegian and he's not very fond of monarchies.

Last edited:
He did :O when (I Hope Europe keeps its Kings and Queens and Prnces and Grand Dukes)

I hope it won't be Spain, the work that the king and queen have done is really important and significant, they have contributed a lot to their country. So hopefully Felipe and Letizia will be able to follow their steps and be able to maintain the monarchy.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
I voted for Norway because King Harald V got a pie thrown in his face.

Wasn't it Carl Gustaf who had a pie thrown in his face some years back by some youngsters, who wanted to raise the issue if the monarchy was really necessary in Sweden? Well, actually I don't know if Harald had a pie thrown in his face too. So, if he did then you're right, and I'm sorry.:eek:

Lasse Pedersen said:
I too voted Norway, for reasons already mentioned: The interest in the Norwegian monarchy seems to have hit an all time low - which is sad. I hope that the Norwegian monarchy will survive this lack of interest by improving their PR. Personally, I find that TM the King and Queen of Norway seem very sympathetical.

/Lasse Pedersen
you know what, I'm always learning on this Forum: I had no idea that the animo for the Norwegean royals in their country was so, well, lackluster. What is so wrong with their PR? It seems fine to me, if anything. Their king seems perceived as a nice guy and reasonable person, Haakon seems to me an intelligent and nice guy too. Sure, there's Mette Marit's not so stellar past, but do the Norwegians still see that as an issue? Or are people there pretty pragmatic about things and is the mystery of this family somehow gone, but again, how come? What PR does this family need to improve?
It's also weird to me because for example in the Netherlands, Alexander can do what he wants, lie in interviews that he believes his father in law (when Zorreguieta told him that when a minister in the Videla regime, Z. contended to Alex that he didn't have the faintest idea that his colleagues were murdering people who had committed the crime of having differing political view points!! And that the four people that he, Zorreguieta, was aware of that were kidnapped by the regime, came back alive..And Alex is dumb enough to tell interviewers he believes his father in law!) and there's hardly any protest about that for example, the Dutch are very defensive when it comes to this family..

Last edited:
I think these are just opinions of what people think from what they read from the newspapers, magazines or internet. We really dont know and hopefully those monarchies will continue for a long time. The fact is that if they do not renew themselves and take more roles on their societies, young people will not value them as good as it was 2 decades ago. Times changes and societies evolve, so monarchies need too continue improving and being useful for their countries.

Ariel said:
I think these are just opinions of what people think from what they read from the newspapers, magazines or internet. We really dont know and hopefully those monarchies will continue for a long time. The fact is that if they do not renew themselves and take more roles on their societies, young people will not value them as good as it was 2 decades ago. Times changes and societies evolve, so monarchies need too continue improving and being useful for their countries.
Very well said. The thing though is that even if they modernize themselves to death, we're still talking about an archaic, medieval concept that's survived in some countries to this day: the descendants of, mostly, warlords who back in the day managed to bully themselves to the top of the heap. (because, yes, folks, this is how 'blue bloods' were created in the first place, like it or not)
So in the current situation, these descendants have to walk the very fine line of trying to be as modern as possible, while trying to maintain a certain distance for the sake of the much-needed mystique, all the while realizing that thanks to archaic customs, they are where they are: they weren't chosen for the position, but merely born into it.

which, in the eyes of modern people, translates easily into: these people wouldn't be picked for the job if their parents hadn't been in it in the first place.

I personally think there's still a definite need for monarchs in the role of the proverbial non-partisan ambassador. I think it's a n important role because it can add value to the cohesiveness of a nation.

But meanwhile, the more people see that random people, for example a random Australian, can zip in, get a make over, and do the job, the more likely they will think: 'well, if some girl off the street can do it, how difficult could this job really be?' And, worse: the 'If Mary/mette Marit/etc can do this gig, <my> daughter could--heck, why are we still paying these people?!' I don't mean to sound like I'm against royalty marrying commoners, but I think it's a slippery slope this way: the more 'commoners' on the job, the more us common folk will think: well, let's do away with this nonsense!

Last edited:
Ariel said:
I hope it won't be Spain, the work that the king and queen have done is really important and significant, they have contributed a lot to their country. So hopefully Felipe and Letizia will be able to follow their steps and be able to maintain the monarchy.

I totally agree with you Ariel! It would be such a shame after all of the hard work JC and Sofia have put in. Although it does worry me to say that i don't think that the monarchy will be as popular when there is King Felipe and Queen Letizia :( But that's just my opinion ;)

princess olga said:
It's also weird to me because for example in the Netherlands, Alexander can do what he wants, lie in interviews that he believes his father in law (when Zorreguieta told him that when a minister in the Videla regime, Z. contended to Alex that he didn't have the faintest idea that his colleagues were murdering people who had committed the crime of having differing political view points!! And that the four people that he, Zorreguieta, was aware of that were kidnapped by the regime, came back alive..And Alex is dumb enough to tell interviewers he believes his father in law!) and there's hardly any protest about that for example, the Dutch are very defensive when it comes to this family..

Yes, they really are. And it is beyond me, to be honest. We had several scandals the last few years (Maxima's father, Edwin & Margarita and the whole Mabel business) but the Dutch are still cheering about their RF. Me included, btw. I just love them. :) But from a PR point of view, it's just weird, because they handled the scandals I mentioned above very badly (with Mabel & Friso lying all the time, Margarita hanging out the dirty laundry in Elsevier and W-A saying very very stupid things about the Videla regime...) But the RF has never been so popular as they are at the moment. I said it before and I'm going to say it again: Dutch people are just weird (I strongly believe that they just have a thing for dressing up orange all the time, and without the RF it wouldn't make sense anymore... ;))

In the poll I voted for Norway too. Just because I heard that the family is not particulary popular by the Norwegian people... I certainly hope it will never happen, btw.

Maxie said:
Yes, they really are. And it is beyond me, to be honest. We had several scandals the last few years (Maxima's father, Edwin & Margarita and the whole Mabel business) but the Dutch are still cheering about their RF. Me included, btw. I just love them. :) But from a PR point of view, it's just weird, because they handled the scandals I mentioned above very badly (with Mabel & Friso lying all the time, Margarita hanging out the dirty laundry in Elsevier and W-A saying very very stupid things about the Videla regime...) But the RF has never been so popular as they are at the moment. I said it before and I'm going to say it again: Dutch people are just weird (I strongly believe that they just have a thing for dressing up orange all the time, and without the RF it wouldn't make sense anymore... ;))

In the poll I voted for Norway too. Just because I heard that the family is not particulary popular by the Norwegian people... I certainly hope it will never happen, btw.
hahaha Maxie, I'm Dutch myself so I know what you mean! The other day I was at a party where someone was referring to "the queen" and clearly, they meant Elizabeth of england--I live in California and beyond the British royals there's not much royalty awareness here--but my reaction to them was something along the lines of: well, there's more than one queen you know, and mine happens to be Beatrix! and I actually couldn't believe how defensive I was in this regard! goes to show! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom