Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
UAE Immigrants and Monarchies.

Bahrain it seems unstable country
if i remember right then Bhutan did want build up democratic country
UAE most inhabitants are immigrants

Most those immigrants and Guest Workers in some UAE Monarchies and Emirates dont have the same citizenship and electoral status as the indigenous Arab UAE population, and pro/anti Monarchist public sentiment is not a big issue or in any kind of crisis situation like Bahrain.

Ok, but WHY?
You site no reasons for this view - Political opinion, mass popular demands for referendum, and anti-Monarchist momentum, public opinion or Monarcho-political crisis?
Just dont see this (IMO!), or why?
Or do we perhaps imagine that Monarchies will fall for no other reason than we have become bored with them - victims of a celebrity culture?

Norway! I believe norwegians do not like the CP couple.
And since the Inaki case there is a risk also for Spain.

Why those Monarchies?

Again, Ok, but why those Monarchies?
Reply to previous page, since the posts in this thread have all been moved about recently.
What are the reasons, politics, crisis, or anti-Monarchist Movement momentum?
Agree re Bahrain, as i wrote in much more detailed post in this thread.
But Spain or Belgium, i cant see this happen, but i gave my reasons.

Last edited:
:previous:
I suppose the Monarchy's standing in Spain has been shaken by the recent corruption scandal connected with the name of the King's son-in-law. In addition, several highly unflattering biographies on the Spanish Royal Family were published within the last few years. While King Juan Carlos continues to enjoy high esteem, mainly because of his role in upholding democracy in post-Franco era, there isn't the same kind of devotion towards the younger generation. Prince Felipe is moderately popular, but not exceptionally so. Perhaps when he does become King that will change.

As for Belgium, I cannot agree with those who think it is in danger; the Belgian Monarchy is one of the key factors that actually keep the country united. If Belgian Monarchy were to be abolished, in my opinion it would be only a matter of time till the country itself was divided into Flemish and Walloon states.

Last edited:
Belgian Monarchy Future.

But i think even in the unlikely or worst case scenario of Belgium splitting, i would still see a secure future for the Belgian Monarchy in any possible future new independent Walloon Belgium, without Flemish Flanders in that scenario.
But i really dont think the Monarchy is in any potential crisis to lead to it being abolished.
The Crown Princely couple and young family are also very popular.
I agree with Artemisia, that the Monarchy could be one of the strongest components that actually will keep Belgium together.

Last edited:
Definitely not Morocco ( they are so popular in Morocco) Britain, the Netherlands and the UAE I think. The situation in Belgium is very exaggerated. I don't think it's going to fall any time soon. For some reason my mind goes to Jordan. They don't seem to have the support of the tribes any more or perhaps this article could share what I think. I have the same opinion as it mostly.

The Future of Jordan :: Stonegate Institute

Just to clarify that i understand your post, are you saying definitely NOT Britain, Netherlands, UAE?
If so, then i so agree with you.
And yes Morocco is interesting and i think too the Royal family is very popular, as was seen last year in anti-Government demos, but never anti-Monarchy!
Jordan could be an interesting one to watch, but again although there may be political discontent or some anti-Government feeling, i still think the Jordanian Monarchy are generally fairly popular.

Last edited:
Just to clarify that i understand your post, are you saying definitely NOT Britain, Netherlands, UAE?

Yes. The way things are going now definitely NOT UAE, Britain, the Netherlands and Morocco. The first three are obvious but as for the last one the king and his family are so popular in Morocco it's unbelievable actually.

And yes Morocco is interesting and i think too the Royal family is very popular, as was seen last year in anti-Government demos, but never anti-Monarchy!
Jordan could be an interesting one to watch, but again although there may be political discontent or some anti-Government feeling, i still think the Jordanian Monarchy are generally fairly popular.
I completely agree with your point on Jordan, Ruhije. The contrast between the relatively stable Hashemite Kingdom and it`s neighbour, Syria, could not be more opposite.

I'm thinking maybe Jordan, Although I would hate to see that happen...

The Hashemites

I'm thinking maybe Jordan, Although I would hate to see that happen...
I think King Abdullah`s position is pretty rock solid, Patra. The Hashemite monarchy is a fairly unique form of semi-absolutism which in practice, works extremely well. Certainly there are questions over Jordan`s human rights record, but in comparison to it`s neighbours in Syria and Iran, Jordan under the Hashemites, is an oasis of stability and order.

Sweden seems to most likely at the moment. I heard that one of the main parties is republican.

Sweden seems to most likely at the moment. I heard that one of the main parties is republican.
Probably not. There will always be groups in society who are against a royal house but to abolish a royal house can happen only if something extremely drastic happened ( like someone taking over the power) or if there is for quite along time unrest and displeasure in a country over the royal family. ( At least in my opinion) And so far I know that isn't the case in Sweden

Sweden.

Exactly, i agree Elladora, as i'd already posted and explained my reasons for this too in an earlier post on Sweden in this thread a few days ago.
The political parties that would want a referendum on the Monarchy in Sweden are all on the left-wing of politics (ok, no surprise there), but an opinion poll showed no strong public feeling for a referendum or is there any strong anti-Monarchy sentiment among the majority of Swedes.
For a Monarchy to be seriously considored a candidate for possibly being abolished, there has to be at least majority political and public opinion and demand for this, or some kind of extraordinary Monarcho-political crisis.
These circumstances just do not exist and are not there in the majority of Monarchies mentioned again and again in this thread - Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Netherlands, or even Jordan.
I dont understand the reasoning for any of these suggested.

Last edited:

You are correct about it being the mostly the left wing parties. I just think its a possibility in the future that Sweden could have a referendum. I not saying Sweden will abolish its monarchy! :flowers:

You are correct about it being the mostly the left wing parties. I just think its a possibility in the future that Sweden could have a referendum. I not saying Sweden will abolish its monarchy! :flowers:

Agreed. The King of Sweden needs to step down; he's done too many bad things that are inconsistent with being a king, and especially of one of the world's oldest monarchies. Once his successor is crowned, hopefully the monarchy can recover its popularity.

(I'm a Swedish-American, and so I am particularly concerned about Sweden.)

Agreed. The King of Sweden needs to step down; he's done too many bad things that are inconsistent with being a king, and especially of one of the world's oldest monarchies. Once his successor is crowned, hopefully the monarchy can recover its popularity.
What bad things? There may have been some mistakes but I'm not aware of any truly "bad" things King Carl Gustav has done. Could you give examples?

(I'm a Swedish-American, and so I am particularly concerned about Sweden.)

Swedish Monarchs are no longer crowned,the last Swedish Monarch to do so was Oscar II in 1873.

I voted Spain simply because I think (based on what I've read/heard etc) that many Spanish people love Juan Carlos for all he has done for the country but this does not necessarily translate into support for the monarchy as a whole. Furthermore I think that as Spain had relatively recent time without a monarch in place it does not perhaps have the same attachment to monarchy as other countries might. Furthermore the Spanish monarchy is going through a tough time at the moment in regard to the controversy surrounding Infanta Cristina's husband.
Belgium would also not surprise me but only because of the constant danger of the country being broken up, if that were to happen i think the monarchy could go or may stay in place as a monarchy for the newly formed states.

The poll results do somewhat surprise me. While I would agree with Spain and Belgium among the most likely candidates (much for the same reasons tommy100 stated in this post), I cannot say the same about Norway and Britain - the other countries with most votes.

Monarchy in Norway appears to be quite safe; the King and Queen are well loved and respected, as is the Crown Princely couple.
As far as Britain is concerned, I actually think it is the single safest Monarchy in the world, apart from maybe the Japanese one. Granted, there have been a lot of controversies and there are constant complains about the "cost" of the royal family; however, even during the most troubling times, the republican cause never gained momentum. In Britain, the old saying the Monarch and the land are one is still very much true. I can imagine most other countries as republics, but not Britain.

No European country anytime soon will become a republic. You still will have royalty but what function they will serve will depend on a lot of things. Royalty in general in 50 to 100 years will be much different than it is now.

I also wavered between Spain and Belgium.
It seems as if the Spanish monarchy is always being removed and then later restored.
And the activities of the monarchy in Belgium have lately been quite controversial.

I would not be surprised to see either become a republic in the near future.

Spain on 28.66% :scream:
I confess voting for Spain as well; what with the scandals and unfortunate events associated with the family lately, it is no longer unlikely Spain will opt to become a republic at some point. Crown Prince Felipe is respected but doesn't have the same regard as his father, and Infanta Leonor is way too young to put into equation. All in all, the next decade will be decisive for the future of Spanish Monarchy.

Last edited:
Imo the biggest problem in Sweden is the media wich is totally dominated by republican journalists that use every chance they get to send a signal to the Swedish people that the monarchy has lived well past it time and that we (sweden) isn´t a democratic country until we have established a republic. There where an outcry from journalists about the mediacoveridge of the royal wedding 2010 that there was way to little critical reports - something they have taken care off ever since with all the negative stories about the king and his family - the only exception from the rule is the much loved Crownprincess Victoria who (even though i guess they have tried very hard) they have never found any dirt on, even the republicans like her (that´s the good thing for the future). Another part of the "potential problem" is the Swedish fondness for beeing modern - everything should be new and modern in our society and that could prove to be a disadvantage to the monarchy, there´s a reason why many companies try out new things on swedes - who are very eager to be up to date...

Hopefully i never see the day when Sweden becomes a republic, but i wouldn´t be to surpriced if there is a refurendum in a decade or so...
One of the best things for the monarchy imo could unfortunatly (for the king) be the accession of Queen Victoria - that i think would kill much of the debate since she is almost universilly loved and admired.

Only my small thoughts...

Last edited:
Swedish Monarchy and continuity.

I agree in general re Swedish situation, but think either the current reign will continue and pass on naturally in due time, or should a crisis or popular feeling cause an unlikely abdication or referendum, then the Monarchy will continue with the next younger generation and Crown Princess. It is the liberal left media and outside republican global opinion that fuels this debate, not general Swedish anti-monarchist feeling. I believe the Swedish Monarchy as an institution, one of the oldest in Europe, is very safe.

As the Inaki Urgandarin case unfolds, the Spanish RF is in a very precarious position, IMO. The only saving grace is the complete lack of evidence implicating Felipe's knowledge of the events, and the respect and popularity of Felipe and Letizia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom