Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it before, and I'll say it again. The Spainish Royal is on a path of destruction. I am surprised the country hasn't had enough already.

The UK within its bounds, I, think, is safe, but in the Commonwealth after the queen, remains to be seen.

:previous: Isn't there an upcoming referendum going on within the UK boundaries? I agree with you Countess on the issue of the commonwealth after the Queen.

:previous: Isn't there an upcoming referendum going on within the UK boundaries? I agree with you Countess on the issue of the commonwealth after the Queen.

We have two, Scotland has a referendum in 2014 as to whether to stay in the UK. The UK might have one in 2018 to stay in the EU.

Do you want to stay in the EU? Does it make any difference to the RF?

Personally, I want to stay in with a few rule changes. It makes little difference to the monarchy, although some monarchists resent The Queen as she signed on the dotted line and brought us in.

Do you want to stay in the EU? Does it make any difference to the RF?

No, it'll make no difference. We had a monarchy before the EU and none of the treaties affect them anyway. The EU is a contentious subject in the UK, to say the least.

I think in Europe (and in the world) the Spain Monarchy will most likely be the next to be abolished and I think it will be within the Next 5 Years. I don't really have to say more,Spain is on the verge of Collapse.

The British Monarchy I think will be the last one standing in the world and will be the last one to fall. I can't see it being abolished in the next 50 Years.

:previous: While there is certainly disgust for the monarchy, I think that Spain's woes could cause a collapse of the government in general, and the monarchy swept away with it.

I don't think Spain will be the same country within the next few years.

:previous: While there is certainly disgust for the monarchy, I think that Spain's woes could cause a collapse of the government in general, and the monarchy swept away with it.

I don't think Spain will be the same country within the next few years.

Considering the news of late, I must agree with you Giraffe.

For a long period I thought about Norway, but after the last issues I'affraid but there strong chances to be Spain.

I voted for Spain, i doubt that Great Britain is going to turn into a republic country anytime soon.

In Europe I would vote for Spain & Belgium, likely as part of a general overhaul of government institutions resultimg from the splitting apart of the nations into constituent parts. It likely would have already happened in Belgium except no one can figure out what to do with Brussels (French city in a Flemish area).
I can see Sweden abolishing it due to general indifference.
Outside of Europe I can see Swaziland and Bahrain abolishing due to mismanagement and misjudgements and generally failing to adapt to changing demands of the people.

It seems to me that, in general, it isn’t the general public that wants to depose their royal families but politicians and outside agitators and invaders. That being said it would be, among European nations, in my opinion, either Spain or Belgium. Belgium because the country ceases to exist and Spain because of political unrest, in which case the Spanish state ceases to exist.

There was a discussion thread I read a few years back debating the merits of becoming a republic versus the monarchy in Jamaica. Most of the arguments against were what one would expect. One man, however, made what I felt was one of the most convincing pro-monarchy statements I ever heard: “The Queen holds the highest office in the land and it is the only one the politicians can not steal”. Short and sweet.

It's either Spain or Belgium due to the internal strife.

To add the Spanish RF is doing everything they can to accelerate the dissolution is monarchy!

The UK will cease to exist as a nation soon, so Charles/William will be King of England and maybe Wales.

The monarchy's that seems the safest at the moment are:
Japan
Thailand
Netherlands
Sweden
UAE
Bhutan
Morocco

In the distant past, Scotland elected her king. Sometimes a family member won, sometimes not. I wonder if there is any clear contender for a Scots monarch in an election? It's hard to see how anything other than an elected king would be acceptable to the Scots, but I have no knowledge about "pretenders" to that throne. Possibly the Stuart line? Since the Stuart line persons are Catholic, that could be an impediment in largely Protestant Scotland, but on the other hand, Scotland has a history of absorbing various ethnicities and religious differences. Not a totally "tolerant" history after people like Knox arose, of course. Jews were accepted in Scotland, I read, even though England held them at arm's length. It was a melting pot like the US in much of its history.

I am afraid a new monarchy in Scotland would be hard to come by.
I would like to know more.

My understanding from various readings is that Sophie of Wittlesbach, who is wife of the Hereditary ruler of Leichtenstein, had a mother with a Scots name, Douglas. The Douglas family was said to have lived in Sweden many years as aides to the royal family there, so she is sometimes described as Swedish. I wonder what percent of her heritage is Swedish and what percent Scots? With a name like Douglas she is very Scots indeed. Her son Joseph Wenzel was born in England when his father was working there, the first "Stuart" descendant to be born in England in centuries, I read. If they had chosen Scotland to work in and Joseph Wenzel was born there, that might be an interesting situation. But probably not.

Last edited:
. Her son Joseph Wenzel was born in England when his father was working there, the first "Stuart" descendant to be born in England in centuries,.

Hardly. The current royal family in the UK owe their throne to their descent from the Stuarts so many many many Stuart descendents have been born in the UK since the Glorious Revolution

Hardly. The current royal family in the UK owe their throne to their descent from the Stuarts so many many many Stuart descendents have been born in the UK since the Glorious Revolution

The claim that Joseph Wenzel is the first Stuart born in the UK since the Glorious Revolution is based on the idea that he is of the Jacobite, as opposed to the Hanover/Windsor, line.

The many other Stuarts born in the UK, including the BRF, don't count.

I understood the claim,I was just pointing out that it was a false claim.

I know the Hanovers are of Stewart descent and there are many other nobles and commoners of Stuart descent, but IF the Scots wanted a line which was pre-Hanover, they could look to others than the lines since the Protestant settlement. But I don't think they want a king. I trace my own lineage back to the wife of the first High King of Scotland, who had children by her first husband, including my ancestor Isabel de Croc de Polloc. That's not Stuart per se but I have the foremother of the Scots House of Stuart in my lineup. My discoveries about those families, neighbors who went into making up the original Stuart line in Scotland, has been a great surprise and adventure I had in the last couple of months.

Thanks to Tony Abbott, we can now remove Australia from the list of countries likely to abolish their monarchy.

Thanks to Tony Abbott, we can now remove Australia from the list of countries likely to abolish their monarchy.

Why exactly? A PM can't vote for his entire country if a referendum is held.

Why exactly? A PM can't vote for his entire country if a referendum is held.

Because there would now be no referendum. Unlike Julia Gillard, he is a firm monarchist, and with the head of government against any changes, it's even more of an uphill battle for anti-monarchists.

Does Scotland want another King or to become a republic?

I somehow doubt the majority of Scotland wants to install a new monarch, although there are certainly those who do.

The way I see things in Scotland is if they change the system they'll dissolve the union with England and either abolish the monarchy entirely and become a republic, or maintain the monarchy and become a Commonwealth Realm. Somehow, I suspect the republic is the more likely scenario.

Because there would now be no referendum. Unlike Julia Gillard, he is a firm monarchist, and with the head of government against any changes, it's even more of an uphill battle for anti-monarchists.

The last referendum in 1999 was held in the Prime Ministership of one of the best known monarchists in the country - John Howard. Abbott is a Howard disciple.

The next referendum is on hold basically until The Queen dies - simply because both sides of the debate know that she is personally very popular.

The ALP do have becoming a republic as part of its stated program while the LNP has a more broad base with many known republicans in the coalition parties.

If the people call for a republic we will get one but only when the republicans can agree on the model and there is a solid support base for it.

I expect us to become a republic within a couple of years of the following combination of events: The Queen passing AND an ALP government/OR a Liberal leader who is a republican such as Mr Turnbull.

My vote going for Liechtenstein...
Especially, I don't think royal family of Great Britain is republic easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom