Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? I'd have thought a little bit of extra grandeur would fit right in with the French psychie. And it doesnt mean that Liberte, egalite, fraternite would have to go out the window. I think monarchies have just as much freedom than those in republics. Maybe we'll even see a fleur-de-lis in the white stripe of the flag in the future? :franceflag::franceflag3:

No, I'm sorry but I don't think this will ever happen. Anyway my french friends and their families never spoke about monarchy or that they would wish monarchy back. BUT - and thats a bit funny IMO - they're quite interested in it (foreign monarchies mainly). I was so surprised what they know about Lord Mountbatten for example (here in Germany nearly nobody knows him). But I can only speak for what I've heard from my french friends and when I traveled to France. Maybe a french member here will correct me, if I'm wrong :)

I would like to see the monarchy restored in Russia. If nothing else to give them some sort of stability. But then I would be afraid the same thing would happen to the new royal family that happened to the Czar and his family. :sad:

There shouldn't be any deja-vu moments with the early 1900s if the monarchy were restored - it would alomst certainly be a constitutional monarchy. The only real question would be to figure out who the new Czar/Czarina would be?

which country is likely to become a monarchy again, and why?

It will be need an amount of work. The history showes us a lot of cases of monarchies being changed to republics. But the developping to a monarchy, being a republic, is more difficult. There's a possibility in Brasil, although it's America. The last emperor worked a lot for the country, and the imperial family takes the example; the monarchy has sense if it makes the difference, if the people find in this system a national identity, a modern approach to traditions. The born of Brazil was a decision of the brasilian people and among of them was the first emperor: the tradition based in freedom.

Austria, Russia maybe France.
Totally agree, those would be my choices. Austria and Russia because of their past splendour, and France...wow, just imagine how glamorous would be a French monarchy nowadays...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Austria and Russia are more likely to become monarchies again.I totally disagree with you about France,though.Sorry,JMHO.

I had no idea about Brazil's case,Pomerania.Thanks for the information.

Quite frankly, I think the trend is rather the other way, sadly.
"Austria" ,remember, was far more than the Austria of today; and the Habsburg Pretender, the Archduke Otto, made no move when there was at least a glimmer of hope of a restoration to the Hungarian throne right after the fall of Communism. Now he is very elderly and his heir has several character and behavior "issues" it seems.
The Romanovs were (and are) handicapped by the lack of a widely accepted and credible Pretender.
The Savoys of Italy are divided with the "senior line" Pretender, Prince Victor Emmanuel thoroughly discredited by both a "mesalliance" and his own stupid behavior. The Aosta branch is much more promising.
However, if any country might restore its monarchy Serbia seems the most likely in my opinion.

:previous:

If Prince Emanuele Filiberto doesn't have male Heirs, the Aosta branch will succeed to his claims naturally, without any dispute.
As for the Romanovs, I doubt the lack of a single accepted candidate would be an obstacle, should Russian people decide to reinstate Monarchy: it is more likely than not that a Romanov who has done most for the country would have a preferential chances, regardless of the legitimacy of his claims. There is not a single Romanov among the current ones that would qualify under all Imperial Succession Laws, so there couldn't be an 'accepted candidate' in any case.

Although Archduke Otto is one of the most respected and fascinating Royals for me, I have to agree with your opinion concerning Austria’s prospects of restoration.

Last edited:
Good reply..and good to see a knowledgeable commentator!
My remarks about the Savoys involve Prince EF as well: his lack of gravitas and the marriage to a six-month pregnant actress did not help. An organization called "The Senate of the Kingdom of Italy" ( the surviving life-time Senators appointed before June 1946 ?) formally declared their allegiance to the Aosta branch.
Sad in that now male members of the dynasty can live in Italy.
As for the Romanovs, IMHO the concept of Monarchy involves a definite Monarch. Itis true that all of the current Romanovs would not pass muster under the old house law.
For that reason "for my money" I'd go with Prince Nicholas Romanov as putative Emperor...as unllikely as this is.
As for the Habsburgs, they are an international Dynasty...hard to identify with any particular country: the current Austria is much tooo small to have an "Emperor". A union of Austria, Hungary, Croatia,Slovenia and Bohemia ( the Czech Republic) would be the nearest modern equivalent.

Well...as I said..perhaps the drastically pared back Serbia might look at the Karageorgevitch House.

...My remarks about the Savoys involve Prince EF as well: his lack of gravitas and the marriage to a six-month pregnant actress did not help. An organization called "The Senate of the Kingdom of Italy" ( the surviving life-time Senators appointed before June 1946 ?) formally declared their allegiance to the Aosta branch.
Sad in that now male members of the dynasty can live in Italy.
I am rather fond of Emanuele Filiberto; however I have to agree with your view concerning him and especially his father. The Aosta branch is indeed much more promising.
The Council of the Senators of the Kingdom of Italy does not have, and never had, any say in the matter of Succession. Furthermore, although Aldo Alessandro (the President of the Council) published a declaration supporting Duke of Aosta's claim, only 9 of the council’s 62 members had actually voted in favour of the declaration.
Personally, I think the fact Princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy (Vittorio Emanuele's sister) supports Duke of Aosta's claims is much more significant and important than the Council's (alleged) support.
As for the Romanovs, IMHO the concept of Monarchy involves a definite Monarch. Itis true that all of the current Romanovs would not pass muster under the old house law.
For that reason "for my money" I'd go with Prince Nicholas Romanov as putative Emperor...as unllikely as this is.
I view Prince Nicholas Romanov as the likeliest choice as well.
As for the Habsburgs, they are an international Dynasty...hard to identify with any particular country: the current Austria is much tooo small to have an "Emperor". A union of Austria, Hungary, Croatia,Slovenia and Bohemia ( the Czech Republic) would be the nearest modern equivalent.
Unfortunately, I agree that the Habsburgs are unlikely to be ever restored.
Well...as I said..perhaps the drastically pared back Serbia might look at the Karageorgevitch House.
I actually have quite high hopes with restoration in Serbia: the chances of restoration there are at least as high as in Russia.

Last edited:
I agree with about everything you've said. VERY interesting that the Princess has endored the Aosta's. An old story in the Casa Savoia: rivalry between the branches.

I had entertained some hopes for restorations in Bulgaria (Odd to think that a former King served as his country's Prime Minister) and Romania; but it seems not.

I would like to my country be monarchy again. When I see what our ,,lovely" president speaks in public place, for example yesterday, during the 70th anniversary of outbreak second world war.... He discredits all of us. I don't know why some people for example in Spain don't like their King. I don't remember he did something wrong, he's a good sovereign.

Your country, Poland, was an elective Kingdom with no set dynasty, one of the factors that led to its being partitioned away in the 18th century. Alas, it became a plaything among Romanovs, Hohenzollerns, and Habsburgs ( who at least were Roman Catholics and preserved Cracow as a cultural center.)

Election was from 1572. That was bizarre but my country is a very funny place with dificult history. Before that we have dynasties: Piastowie, (shortly) Andegawenowie, Jagiellonowie. But that was a very long ago. What a shame.

Only in Serbia is a possibility for Monarchy to come back. Only in countries with no stable regime tha Consitution can change and a Monarchy can be restored. Dreaming is free, no cost at all to all of us:)

I also had high hopes for Romania and Bulgaria for a possible restoration but I think that chance has been greatly reduced by the royals getting involved in politics. Not only does that require swearing an oath to the republic it also means that, no matter what your policies, you are going to make alot of enemies among the public. Serbia still ranks high because the Crown Prince is actively campaigning for a constitutional monarchy and he has the support of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Going a little farther afield I would say there is at least a fair chance that Nepal will one day restore its monarchy, partly because of lingering support but probably moreso because of the inability of the republican government to deal with their many problems. I think if Laos could ever get out from under the thumb of Vietnam their chances would be good, I have heard that many there have taken to venerating the King of Thailand in the absence of their own royals. In Libya Qadaffi has acted in ways as to suggest he might have monarchial aspirations. Burundi also has a hard driving monarchist restoration party with the former model Princess Esther Kamatari running as their candidate.

Well, i think that Serbia still ranks high not because the Crown Prince is campaining for a constitutional monarchy, on the contrary i would say. He says "ok, monarchy is better, but now the first think in our mind is Serbia and making thinks better, and we'll discuss about that later". And because he is not involved in politics, but acts as he is a reigning prince, doing charities etc. That's good for his profile.

between the years 1998-2000, I think it was 2000, one of the proposals of the UN, was that Constantine of Greece was temporary president of Cyprus until the problem could be resolved, it was one of the possible theories, Constantine rejected it, it was obvious, it generated a very serious conflict against Greece ...I believe that the proposition was not bad, cyprus always has problems, I think it would need a constant element as head of state above the politicians, A KING...It was impossible from a practical point of Greece/Constantine, but from the theoretical position I think it was good SOLUTION ...

This section tell about the monarchy that you would LIKE to see on the throne,I'm surprised::eek:
a Spanish defending a hypothetical throne in Cyprus, a Greek defending a hypothetical throne in Serbia ...
Beltraneja, you disappoint me, I would expect you that you would say, Constantine and Anna Maria in Greece,
raimot,. it is obvious , you prefer a Greek on a throne as Serbia, she is greek, but you would not like see to the kings of Greece in throne, Constantine is a Glugsburg and Anne Marie is danish.... it is disappointing ..:bang:

Roimat does not forget that Serbia has a republican constitution that it was the subject of a referendum , and the people said,Republic.

A different case is that the Republic of Serbia was formed on the basis of do not hate the old Royal House,but the foundation of the Greek Republic was made about the basis of the hate to the old Royal house..

I'd like to see Constantine and Anne Marie as kings of Greece, I think the Greek monarchy did many things in Greece, .... The origin of the persons is not synonymous with contempt and oblivion, and while Anne Marie was born in Denmark, she made a great effort to learn Greek and history of Greece .."the important is not the beginning but the end" and finally Anne Marie is Greek ....I saw a interview this summer in Porto Heli, they were Constantine and Anne Marie, the greek journalist asked to them, and was anne Marie who answer in greek..
She is an authentic Queen

if you notes it with detail you can see that in my words can deduce it(kings in Greece)...I have wanted offer other option...

I can not deduce it.

I read it , they didn´t proposed to be king, they proposed to be temporary Chairman until a referendum, you do not confuse terms, this is different ....

Kings of Greece

The United Staes of America

I am pretty sure that Hawaii would have to cede because there is only one form of government in the US-and it is elected, not hereditary
:huh:
The United States of America has had a president by election of the People ever since George Washington was the first President. The primary reason is that George Washington put his foot down that he would not be the King. However if he had wanted to be the King at the time the people would have gone along with the idea. That is besides the point. The real point is that the U.S.A. would have no problem continuing down this route except for the growing debt of the government that is being sold to other countries. There is not one country in history that has survived the amount of currency that is being printed by the U.S.A. When this debt problem and currency printing comes to haunt the government of the U.S.A. the real problem of the sytem will surface. That is the fact that other nations will now have a stake in the government of the U.S.A. These nations will then begin to hold the power of which direction it will take. Not all of the nations that hold the debt of the U.S.A. are democracies. What will the future hold when this begins to unfold, this is the question. The answer is in history, does anyone know the same circumstances that has happened to other nations around the world? History always repeats itself if given the same chain of events lined up as the past. What will the future hold?:ermm:

Any resurgency of monarchs?

What country do you think will bring back the monarchy? Which monarchy will be the next to fall? :king3:

Election was from 1572. That was bizarre but my country is a very funny place with dificult history. Before that we have dynasties: Piastowie, (shortly) Andegawenowie, Jagiellonowie. But that was a very long ago. What a shame.

I was dreaming for awhile about a modern Kingdom of Poland, which would've been an elective monarchy just like the previous kingdom of Poland. Just imagine King and Queen instead of President and First Lady; the office would be for life and the King/Queen would have little actual power; the King/Queen would be elected among the former prime ministers, etc. It sounds simple to me, but it's probably not.

In Portugal the Pro-Monarchy movement is getting stronger. Portugal Stopped being a Monarchy in 1910 (after the regicide of king and prince in 1908), and Republic was implanted in a very violent way. There was a lot of confusion after that, with revolutions and riots, and in 1926 a military dictatorship started. It only ended in 1974. This year Portugal "celebrates" 100 years of Republic and, with all the economic and cultural crisis, people don't feel like celebrate... Anyway I don't believe monarchy will return to monarchy in a close future, but there is a small possibility that it will return to it.

I think Russia,there is a little possibility.We have people that want its restoration and actively participate in all monarchic activities.The only thing:the candidate to the thron of Russia should be very careful,as the Tzar is symbolic for Russian people,he should be or become member of the Orthodox Church and demonstrate his potential projects to people.

I'm doing my essay on monarchist movements and might seek to get it published. But for modern monarchist movements to be taken seriously, I think there are certain criteria to be met:

- there has to be significant monarchist sentiment among the population.
- there has to be organised monarchist groups to meet their objective.
- the issue has to be entered into mainstream political debate.
- the head of the royal house or otherwise any claimants have to have a serious interest in taking the throne.

The main reason Serbia and a few other Balkan countries are often touted, is because they meet most or all of the above criteria, that monarchist movements elsewhere may not necessarily meet.

My vote:
Ex-Soviet/Communist Europe: Serbia
Western Europe: Portugal
Asia: Vietnam - I'm fond of Communism being taken out of the equation.
Africa: Egypt
Elsewhere: Hawai'i ?

Back
Top Bottom