Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
traumatic event? Not necessarily IMO. Remember how the father of the Shah came to power? Why don't we talk about e.g. Syria or Libya as the "new" monarchies? Course it is not yet a reall king on the throne over there. But reality is still pretty close to this: absolute power to the sovereign. And frankly, looking on the current development of Maroc, it would not be the worst of all choices provided of course that the sovereign respects democratic rights and guarantees stability.

A war would be a traumatic event for any country and that may unify the citizens of that country behind a monarch. Countries where the population lived without a monarchy for an extended period of time, lost their connections to their royal family. Something earth shaking needs to happen for them to want the monarchy back to "save" them so to speak.
Look what happened in Afghanistan. The King was still alive and returned. One would think that was the best chance he had to take his throne back but it did not happen. Same as Simeon of Bulgaria who became involved in the country's political life but was not given his throne back. Prince Alexander lives is Serbia and is involved in the every day life of its citizens, he may have a better chance but when and how?? If the fall of the Berlin wall was not an opening for some of the monarchies to be restored, at that point, I doubt it will ever happen. Of course this is how I see things. It does not mean I have the answers.

I agree with you Odette. Momarchies tend to fall after traumatic events, eg Russia, France, Germany and Austria, people tend to regret the fall as things tend to get worse after revolutions but a generation later without the Royal Family and the younger people don't really see them as a viable option. In the last twenty years there were several oppurtunities for Monarchs to be restored, in Eastern Europe (Roumania, Serbia, Bulgaria) and in Afganistan but all failed or oppurtunities were lost. A great shame IMO but it seems to be the way.Easy to get rid off, much harder to gain.

traumatic event? Not necessarily IMO. Remember how the father of the Shah came to power? Why don't we talk about e.g. Syria or Libya as the "new" monarchies? Course it is not yet a reall king on the throne over there. But reality is still pretty close to this: absolute power to the sovereign. And frankly, looking on the current development of Maroc, it would not be the worst of all choices provided of course that the sovereign respects democratic rights and guarantees stability.

I simply don't understand your point about Syria and Libya. Can you please explain?

And about Maroc - are you surgesting that Maroc should become a monarchy with absolute power to the sovereign provided that the sovereign respects democratic rights?

In some country like Spain or Great Britain some people say that they want to live in republic but most of people are used to monarchy and like their royal families. But countries who had monarchy? For example my country, Poland. Last king abdicated in 1795 and than our country don't exist to 1918. We have rather ridiculous presidents but when somebody ask: what about monarchy? People said that we will pay big money for royal family, we have another problems etc. In some other country where royal families still exist but they don't rule the country situation is a little different but still: if people want to change constitution, if this royals want to have royal duties again or they want to live like normal but rich people. That's complicated. But I personally like monarchy and I have nothing against more royal houses.

Monarchy of Poland is impossible because there is no Polish royal house nor pretendent to the throne. Polish monarchs were elected and it would be impossible to elect a monarch today.

Nothing is impossible. Poland almost was a monarchy again during World War I when the Germans and Austrians pushed the Russians out. There was a Kingdom of Poland for a short time then under a trio of Polish regents but it did not survive the Central Powers defeat. I *think* Archduke Karl Stefan of Austria was the favored candidate to be King of Poland.

In Poland are still aristocracy families for example Czartoryscy (this family was related with many kings and queens) and from 1573 we have elections so kings were chosen by citizen. I don't imagine monarchy in Poland again, unfortunately, becouse for exaple Czartoryscy and another families must fight with goverment and rest about their castles and rest things. They lost it when comunism was in Poland. Now their castles are museums and it's rather difficult situation. Some families got money from goverment but some families would have some things back, becouse they are part of their family history.

It would be nice ,grace marie,to have monarchy in Poland,and in my opinion,in France too:flowers:

I simply don't understand your point about Syria and Libya. Can you please explain?

And about Maroc - are you surgesting that Maroc should become a monarchy with absolute power to the sovereign provided that the sovereign respects democratic rights?

Sorry, Lilla, if I wasn't precise enough. What I tried to say is that it is not always about restoration of old families, but sometimes new families emerge who create a whole new dynasty. Not necessarily called monarchy right from the beginning. In particular in countries without a long tradition of demoracy this might be helpful step towards stability.

The dynasty of the Phalewis goes back to a poor donkey driver incapable to read or write who lived in the second part of the 19 th century in the southern part of Teheran. Persia was back then in the state of dissolution as well as the dynasty of the Kadschars (Nasr ed-Din Schah was murdered in 1896, his son was overthrown in the early 20th century, Sultan Ahmed was then only 12 when he was put on the throne - the last one of the Kadschars). Russians took parts, the English controlled the gulf region, Afghanistan preferred independance.

At the very same time a donkey driver went with his animals through the stony desert in the south of Teheran. He learned reading and writing only with 30 years. And this man would one day take over the place of the Kadschars ... simply by skills of leadership.

In order to create a stable new dynasty it is of course necessary that the following generations prove the same (or more) capabilities of leadership. Otherwise someone else will take their place. But at least they have a better basis to start from. If they act wisely, not aloof and out of touch with their people, they should be able to secure their place (I hesitate to use the term throne). As time goes on more and more democratic reforms can be carried out and the state of head might get a more ceremonial function, like in a constitutional monarchy.

Going back to e.g. Syria, of course I know it is officially a republic with a president. Still it is interesting to note how long Hafiz al-Assad was able to stay in power since November 1970 and that his son took over. Even though this might not be a monarchy as we know it from other countries it is still interesting to watch.

Thanks Avicenna, for your thorough and educational explanation. I agree, monarchies can arise in other wayes then meerly on the ruins of a former monarchy or by restoration of an old royal family. In that sense both Syria and Libya are interesting to watch though they officially are republics with presidents.

In the Czech Republic the return to the monarchic system is very unlikely (I would say impossible, but never say never, of course). There is a movement called Koruna česká, The Czech Crown, which has the establishment of the constitutional monarchy as its main goal. This movement says that it can`t answer the question of who would come to the throne, because the people themselves would elect the new king in a referendum, but it is more then obvious that it supports the Habsbourgs. But, I can not immagine even for a second to have a Habsburg as a representant of our state, after everything that happened in the history.
Well, the movement got only 0.13 of votes in the last elections in 2006, so the people are really not pro-monarchic at all.

To reestablish a monarchy, the most important thing is having history of monarchy and only one pretender. The republics which have these two things are Serbia, Croatia, Austria, Montenegro, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Iran, Egypt... The republics which are not likely to become monarchies again because they have multiple pretenders are France, Russia, Germany, Portugal...

What do you think about the return of the Monarchy to Egypt? Is it possible?

Regards!!

I would think that a restoration in Romania and Bulgaira and other Eastern European countries would be benefitial in restoring a government people have faith in and maybe would help with issues like intergrating into the EU and dealing with corruption. Restorations in Germany or Austria would also be good, although the challanges a monarchist movement would have to overcome would be huge.

I don't see a restoration anytime soon in Vietnam though. The Communist government would most likely crush any move against it and things seems to be going well for the people there.

On a general note, I think that the main problem with restorations in the level of information that the public have about it.

Last edited:
Do you think that the restoration in Georgia and Serbia is near?

Regards!

Do you think that there is any country in the world that will become a monarchy - again or for the first time? Personally, I think that it probably won’t happen, but if I have to choose one country, I would say:

Serbia. This country has been through so much and maybe the current pretender Alexander could be a unifying force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_II_Karadjordjevic

In Asia, perhaps Vietnam will become a monarchy again in a very distant future. Compare with the recent restoration of the monarchy in Cambodia.

I always hold the hope that Italy would restore it's Monarchy. My greatX3 Grandfather was a Duke of Italy, and with that heritage, Italy as a Monarchy would be great. But realistically, I doubt any major country would reinstate it's Monarchy. I think if any country would, then I would have to echo your idea of Serbia. Also, Serbia is very close to a reigning Monarch. The current pretender is the son of the King. The farther away a country gets from a reinging Monarch, the less likely it seems that they will restore their Monarchy.

Last edited:
Sorry to tell you, but it's very unlikely...
I believe that if a country abolish their monarchy it should stay that way. It's different from Spain for example, so I don't think and believe any country should be a monarchy again.

I hope that Russia again will have an royal family ... maybe a Romanov again?

I would like to see restored the monarchies of Laos, Nepal and Vietnam!

I really think here in Germany will never be monarchy again.

I would love for France to become a Monarchy again. Just for the wonderful parties. :flowers:

Honestly, probably none. How much could it cost?

But whe still have imagination so why not...
Austria, Russia maybe France.

Yes, I agree, Vive l'roi y vive l'fete! (pardon moi bad French). For the really lively times I'd say go back to the grand affairs of Louis XIV. Tell France it's time to party like it's 1669! :D What's wrong with some style, some glamour, some pizazz? A bunch of dull politicians in business suits just can't compete with it ..imo.
:franceflag3: :fleurdelis:

I hope so too, but it would take some huge political upheaval to make it happen

I'm sorry to disappoint you but the French surely don't wish those times back ;) I don't think France is likely to be monarchy again ;)

Back
Top Bottom