Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about Hungary? I see that its constitution was recently changed to remove reference to it as a republic.

I'm not aware of any movement to restore a monarchy in Hungary, but maybe there is?

I'm also Irish and I can't say I'd oppose a monarchy!! However, it would be near to impossible to restore one. Before occupation, Ireland consisted of smaller kingdoms. Many of royal birth here were killed or fled. So it would be like trying to find a needle in haystack!

I don't agree however with rejoining the UK monarchy. I respect Queen Elizabeth but we would need someone who could represent and embody our culture, customs, traditions, language etc. That's the role of a monarch right? And I'm afraid Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William just... wouldn't work...

Not one of the front-line British royals but a more minor one who embraces Ireland as their home could work - it did for Norway when a Danish prince and his British princess bride were invited to take that position and made a success of it. I suspect they were more successful than sending a Danish prince to Greece simply because there was already some common culture between the Danish prince and Norway. So a member of the royal family such as Lord Nicholas Windsor - great-grandson of a King and RC who would have some understanding of Irish culture could work if both sides were prepared to give him a chance. The ones you mention are too essentially English.

IMO many Eastern-European and Balkan countries have a great chance to become a monarchy again. Especially Romania, Albania and Serbia, Montenegro.

I'd be very surprised by the restoration of a European Monarchy in this economic climate,but who knows what may happen in the future!

Looking at how the former houses are courted or not explicit denied their right to represent the country, does let me think a monarchy restoration isn´t far-fetched. :napoleon: ;)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I see neither any possibility nor any necessity nor any relavance of any republic becoming a monarchy now or in future.
The age is simply over..
Today all people want is a job and some peace. And some gossip and entertainment.
They have governments to do the former, and celebrities to do the latter.
How will a powerless constitutional monarch help here.
And how my country is "represented" outside is least of the common man's worries..
They have crossed the stage where they will madly wave or deeply bow or curtsey just because someone, whose great...great-something has once ruled a land where they now live, has been now crowned and proclaimed their monarch.

Last edited:
I will think about that when the (former) UK inaugurates it´s first President :cool:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
I see neither any possibility nor any necessity nor any relavance of any republic becoming a monarchy now or in future.
The age is simply over..
Today all people want is a job and some peace. And some gossip and entertainment.
They have governments to do the former, and celebrities to do the latter.
How will a powerless constitutional monarch help here.
And how my country is "represented" outside is least of the common man's worries..
They have crossed the stage where they will madly wave or deeply bow or curtsey just because someone, whose great...great-something has once ruled a land where they now live, has been now crowned and proclaimed their monarch.

Man's will decides the future, not the 'times.' Time ist abstract and irrelevant. If a Monarchy serves the greater purpose of the people, then perhaps it ist the Republic that should die away. The superficial und consummerist ideology you have presented ist utterly repugnant und contrary to human nature. Mankind wants to believe that they are a part of something greater than themselves. Und judging by the behaviors of modern governments today, Saint Thomas Aquinas' words 'On Kingship,' stand eternally true,"Tyranny is wont to occur not less but more frequently on the basis of polyarchy [rule by many, i.e. oligarchy or democracy] than on the basis of monarchy."

Last edited:

The superficial und consummerist ideology you have presented ist utterly repugnant und contrary to human nature.

Just come out into the real world and see. It is this superficial and consumerist ideology that runs the world. Looks and money only matters, for persons, families and nations..

Saint Thomas Aquinas' words 'On Kingship,' stand eternally true,"Tyranny is wont to occur not less but more frequently on the basis of polyarchy [rule by many, i.e. oligarchy or democracy] than on the basis of monarchy."

And I dont agree with you that oligarchy is equivalent to democracy. No way.
And basically almost all "monarchists" hoping for return here in TRF are for constitutional monarchy, not absolute one. All they want is a good RF which can smile and wave and symbolise and unify them, not rule them. So your quotation doesnt hold good here.

Last edited:
Just come out into the real world and see. It is this superficial and consumerist ideology that runs the world. Looks and money only matters, for persons, families and nations..
And I dont agree with you that oligarchy is equivalent to democracy. No way.

If by the real world, you mean the utter abandonment of the governments of their peoples, then I'm afraid I will not join you there. That ideology ist impressed upon by Republican visions. You cannot create good people from that. Especially since money ist the only value that people value.

Oligos = Few
Arkho = Rule

What ist a Democracy but just that? The elected governer/president/prime minister must receive the support of fellow elected officials to perform, agree, co-sign and place into action bills, laws, charters or what have you. This ist the reality that exists and to believe that a moraless system, especially one that ist placed outside reason, for the sake of the people's voice, who often seldom know what they want, ist wholly irresponsible.

On the other hand, und this has been very well known, whoever controls the vote count, controls the will of the nation. Und usually, und less surprisingly so, the political parties are so violent that they desire to ensure that only those who side with them are given the most benefits (The Habsburg Law, the 1887 Destruction and Selling of the French Crown Jewels, the death of Emperor Maximillian of Mexico and the numerous imprisonments(via death camps) of Monarchists during Hitler's reign).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the topic, though, I would think that the nations with the "best" chance of having monarchies restored would be the ones who had their monarchies deposed more recently and/or who have a widely accepted pretender. If the monarch's deposition wasn't at the will of the people and he is still alive, or his descendants support one particular head, then there is more chance of a restoration occurring. A nation like France, where there are three different monarchical houses to chose from, and the people overthrew the monarchy in the first place (and several times at that) a hundred years ago is less likely to see a restoration than somewhere like Romania, whose former monarch is still alive and was overthrown by the Soviets.

Vhat about Austria?

World War One started because the Serbian Terrorist Group known as die Black Hand murdered Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Austria is a peaceful nation. Und are not known as the best of warriors(Not counting the Middle Ages), like ve Germans in the north. Sie are artists und philosophers und great thinkers. Plus, they are a very gut people. They never wronged anyone who didn't deserve it. Their last monarch was Kaiser Karl von Hasburg, Koonig von Ungarn.

Interesting idea, Iluvbertie, that Lord Nicholas Windsor could be king of Ireland, being Roman Catholic. I am not sure the Catholic thing would do it, but it might.
But I read the Lord Nicholas and his wife like living in a Mediterranean climate and have a working farm near Rome. Ireland is cold and damp much of the year. There is a lot of rage against the RC church in Ireland, I read, because of the many reprobate priests there, as bad a the USA in that respect. But as a half-Irish person, I understand your thinking about the RC roots in Ireland.
My son's only cousin, an American Irish girl, immigrated to Ireland and has an organic farm in Shannon.
An Ardri for Queen of Ireland!

Vhat about Austria?

World War One started because the Serbian Terrorist Group known as die Black Hand murdered Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Austria is a peaceful nation. Und are not known as the best of warriors(Not counting the Middle Ages), like ve Germans in the north. Sie are artists und philosophers und great thinkers. Plus, they are a very gut people. They never wronged anyone who didn't deserve it. Their last monarch was Kaiser Karl von Hasburg, Koonig von Ungarn.

I'm not sure about Austria. I don't know the strength of the monarchist movement in Austria. There is a clear head of the Austrian Habsburgs who could claim the throne, Karl Habsburg-Lothringen, although his father, Otto von Habsburg, did renounce his claim to the Austrian throne in 1961 (which Otto later admitted to having regretted doing).

It has been about 100 years since the fall of the Habsburgs, so I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a restoration.

Interesting idea, Iluvbertie, that Lord Nicholas Windsor could be king of Ireland, being Roman Catholic. I am not sure the Catholic thing would do it, but it might.
But I read the Lord Nicholas and his wife like living in a Mediterranean climate and have a working farm near Rome. Ireland is cold and damp much of the year. There is a lot of rage against the RC church in Ireland, I read, because of the many reprobate priests there, as bad a the USA in that respect. But as a half-Irish person, I understand your thinking about the RC roots in Ireland.
My son's only cousin, an American Irish girl, immigrated to Ireland and has an organic farm in Shannon.

I think in general with Commonwealth and former Commonwealth realms, "lesser" members of the BRF would be the best bet for an individual monarchy instead of the more shared one that is seen now. Whether it be someone like Lord Nicholas for the Irish or another member, not in the direct line, for any (former) Commonwealth state.

There's an idea that you can't create royalty; there are people who are royals because they're descended from and raised by royals, and then there is everyone else. As such, when nations like Greece or Belgium were looking to create a monarchist system they turned to Europe's existing royal families and invited individuals who weren't likely to inherit to sit on their throne.

In the case of Ireland, I would think that the best individual of the extended BRF for a hypothetical Irish throne would be Nicholas, with his elder brother, George, being a close second. While Nicholas has openly converted to Catholicism, George has also married a Catholic and his children are being raised in the Catholic Church. I'm not sure how much anger towards the church there is in Ireland, although about 87% of the population of the Republic identify as Catholic, so I wouldn't rule that out as a factor. Similarly, I would expect that if a member of the extended BRF were to become the monarch of an independent Scotland, I would expect them to belong to the Church of Scotland.

I'm not sure about Austria. I don't know the strength of the monarchist movement in Austria. There is a clear head of the Austrian Habsburgs who could claim the throne, Karl Habsburg-Lothringen, although his father, Otto von Habsburg, did renounce his claim to the Austrian throne in 1961 (which Otto later admitted to having regretted doing).

It has been about 100 years since the fall of the Habsburgs, so I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a restoration.

It's a very small movement, but ist gaining strength.

How do I say dis without sounding insensitive or disrespectful..?
Otto ist....Er ist mit Gott. He is with God now.

His two sons are heirs now.

Lord Nicholas was born in the UK so he's well used to the cold and damp climate :D

A restoration of any form of monarchy in Southern Ireland is highly unlikely,I don't even know if there's any form of a monarchist movement here.My interest in the royals still gets me very stern looks from one my formidable aunts in laws ;)

A new political party in Austria which is fighting for the return of monarchy: the so called Schwarz-Gelbe Allianz (SGA) which has presented ist campaign on Thursday in Vienna.

Read more in the German newspaper Süddeutsche:

Monarchisten-Partei will Kaiser für Österreich - Politik - Süddeutsche.de

"Wir favorisieren das Haus Habsburg, ohne uns auf eine Person festlegen zu wollen", sagt Wahlkampfleiter Simec.

And yes, they favour a representative of the Habsburg Family. However, they don't won't to name one specific person right now.

Es would be important if they did have someone. A face has a greater chance to reach people and the partys goals. The dissolution of the Republic, the demolition of other political parties and the return of honor to the Austrian people. Ich kann nicht warten!!

Ve can now honor die helden of our past and sie can't stop us. The Rebirth of the Old Order is coming. :austriaflag: Lang lebe der Kaiser! :austriaflag:

What honor are you talking about? The dear old Emperor Franz Josef or your Anschluss with Nazi Germany? What old order and just the word old should scare the living daylights out of any thinking person.

Es would be important if they did have someone. A face has a greater chance to reach people and the partys goals.
Well Karl and Georg do not exactly have the faces anyone would rally to.

Better check your calendar. Its 2013. The "Old Order" has long since been washed away and no one seriously believes it is coming back, at least not anyone functioning in the real world that has any semblance of a grasp on reality.

Since nobody in Austria cares much about the Habsburgs since 1955 the success of this new party is questionable. But hey let them try if they want to. ?

Well Karl and Georg do not exactly have the faces anyone would rally to.

Better check your calendar. Its 2013. The "Old Order" has long since been washed away and no one seriously believes it is coming back, at least not anyone functioning in the real world that has any semblance of a grasp on reality.

It will happen whether sie like it or not. And those that don't "shall be washed away." A country can only ignore its roots for so long.

This thread has been cleaned, removing all recent off-topic discussion. Please stay on topic -- that is, which country is likely to return to being a monarchy. Further posts not on topic will be removed by a moderator.

Also keep in mind that it is a vital forum rule that you must be respectful to your fellow posters.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team via PM.

JessRulz
TRF Administrator

In Italy there's a sort of monarchist movement called UMI (Unione Monarchica Italiana) that would like to restore the monarchy, skipping Vittorio Emanuele and his son, giving the crown and the throne to Amedeo, Duke of Aosta and his son, Aimone, because Vittorio Emanuele never obtained the king's permission to marry his wife Marina as the Savoy House rules declare and therefore according to them he lost his rights to reclaim the throne. Personally, I wouldn't mind this option (we had Berlusconi for 20 years and he still manages to direct things on his advantage, so a monarchy can't be worse) and I think Amedeo is a much suitable figure for the role (even if he has his skeletons in the closet too) . But these peoples are considered mainly fools and a few times I mentioned my interest for monarchies my friends always gives me stern looks.
and what about Greece? they've been sailing in rough sea lately...can be a change of government likely? (made obvious that a monarchy can't solve economical problems)

Last edited:
We have a sort of monarchist movement that would like to restore the monarchy, skipping Vittorio Emanuele and his son, giving the crown and the throne to Amedeo, Duke of Aosta and his son, Aimone, because Vittorio Emanuele never obtained the king's permission to marry his wife Marina as the Savoy House rules declare and therefore he loses any right. Personally, I wouldn't mind this option (we had Berlusconi for 20 years and he still manages to direct things on his advantage, so a monarchy can't be worse). But these peoples are considered mainly fools and a few times I mentioned my interest for monarchies my friends always gives me stern looks.
and what about Greece? they've been sailing in rough sea lately...can be a change of government likely? (made obvious that a monarchy can't solve economical problems)

Oh, very interesting. I've heard about a Monarchist movement from Naples, where I believe the ancient Kingdom of the Two-Sicilies was located.

We also have a Monarchist movement in Brazil, which is getting strong.

Oh, very interesting. I've heard about a Monarchist movement from Naples, where I believe the ancient Kingdom of the Two-Sicilies was located.

We also have a Monarchist movement in Brazil, which is getting strong.

there's that one too. but the "bourbonics" are more interested in a historical revisionism of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies than anything. As history is always written by the winners, the Savoia kings and their governments made the Bourbon and their governors look like oppressors and in collusion with the Mafia. This is a really complicated topic but I personally think they're right. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was rich and prosperous (the 3rd economical power in 1860 Europe) and full of technological innovations (the first Italian railroad was in Naples and they even introduced the differentiated collection of garbabe and so on). The Kingdom of Sardinia only invaded it because of the great amount of gold and cash on Naples disposal when they, in the north, were in struggle and almost in bankrupt after the wars of independence against Austria.

Last edited:
I think Portugal may one day restore the monarchy.

Is there any way in which I can buy an Island and proclaim my own kingdom? There will be a vacancy for "Minister of coconut affairs" if anybody is interested. I'd Love to be king!

You can buy the island of Sark (between England and France) and become its new seigneur, i.e. feudal ruler! You would not be a king and you would have to swear an oath of fealty to your feudal overlord, Elizabeth II, but you would become its hereditary head of government. It is a kind of royalty. A 19th-century ancestress of the present Seigneur of Sark, Michael Beaumont, bought the island from the previously ruling family when they went bankrupt. So, all you have to do is offer enough money to Beaumont and charm the Queen into agreeing to the transaction, and voila! :D

Back
Top Bottom