Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And why should they? He got his chance and abuse his powers, he could blame nobody but himself.

Well I suspect some blame could be put on the military who launched a coup and established a dictatorship.

For restoration I would give a slim outside chance to Serbia and perhaps more especially Montenego as both have granted special status to their former reigning dynastys. I think the possibility in Montenegro might be a bit better since it is a very small country looking to raise its profile among the states of Europe.

Out of all these countries who actually can have a chance at becoming officially royal ?
Romania
Greece
Russia
Germany
Austria
Portugal
Brazil
Italy
Yugoslavia

Not Yugoslavia, it doesnt exist any longer. So add Serbia to your list

Last edited by a moderator:
After the birth of heir to the one of supposed heirs to the Georgian throne,I believe Georgia could be taken into account as well.

Monarchies likely to be restored

I would like to see the return of the Russian monarchy, and the Italian monarchy perhaps. Well I would really like to see all monarchies restored but that is not going to happen.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...

I really don't see any of them being restored. All were overthrown for valid reasons and a cost/benefit analysis would show that, generally speaking, they cost more than they bring in (in my world, that means they are more dilutive, or non-accretive.)

There would have to be a tremendous groundswell of strong emotion, backed by a rational case, to make that happen. Right now, what I am seeing is an international groundswell of strong emotion of anger and unrest due to failing economic conditions. Unless some former Royal family has a solution for that situation, I place chances at zero.

Among the native Hawaiians there is great support for the restoration of the monarchy. Also, I think Tahiti could perhaps see it's royal family back on the throne.
How would that work for the United States though, were it to happen?

I would assume the United States would not take it very well if Hawaii were to become a monarchy again. I don't think the United States would like one of their states to be a monarchy. They would have to change a lot for that to happen even if the US allows it to happen.

How would that work for the United States though, were it to happen?

Legally not possible I understand. Also don't forget that native hawaiians (the ones most likely to support a restoration) are outnembered by white Hawaiians by some large figure (ie maybe 10:1)

NotYugoslavia, it doesnt exist any longer. So add Serbia to your list

I'd like to see Serbia and Montenegro restore their monarchies simulteneously. It would be a symbolic rejection of the last 100 years of horrors.

We realise now that it is not monarchies which have been the problem, but our political and corporate class who have more power over us than absolute monarchs ever did, and are a bigger danger to our liberty. Peter Hitchens did talk recently about how "apart" from us politicians are these days, and while royals may be "apart" from commoners, both royals and commoners can be considered (in my view) more "normal" than today's real power classes.

Last edited:
I would assume the United States would not take it very well if Hawaii were to become a monarchy again. I don't think the United States would like one of their states to be a monarchy. They would have to change a lot for that to happen even if the US allows it to happen.
It would be very strange for Hawaii to be a monarchy, but still an American territory, a monarch subservient to a president, very strange indeed.

First off, it would be illegal. Hawai'i would have to succeed from the union, and that is not going to happen. Could their former royal family be given some kind of courtesy status ? That already happens when the state does statewide ceremonies, a representative of the former royal family is always given a high place of honor at the ceremony.

Monarchies restored

I myself would love to see The Shabanou and her family return to Iran.It would wonderful if these many monarchies had a chance to be reborn.Where there is life there is hope. I also agree that Ethiopia and Serbia and Vietnam would be blessed as well. There is nothing wrong with keeping hope alive and wishing for the best for all the Monarchies in need.Who knows what the future will hold, anything is possible.Whether it happens or not we keep it alive in our hearts who support the Monarchies that we love and respect.I would have to say to that Serbia would be the closest to be reborn.Let us hope so for everyone that we love in Royalty-for that exists in the heart-the only true Throne is the one that is carried in dignity and honor for all people no matter who they are.Best Wishes to all Royal families in the end of and coming year may they be blessed to do the best for all they care for-My People are my Only Care-Elizabeth the 1st.

Legally not possible I understand. Also don't forget that native hawaiians (the ones most likely to support a restoration) are outnembered by white Hawaiians by some large figure (ie maybe 10:1)

True, but many Native Hawaiians want sovereignty anyway (as Native Americans have on reservations on the mainland). It's possible to gain a good deal of legal control over native affairs within the context of a white majority society.

First off, it would be illegal. Hawai'i would have to succeed from the union, and that is not going to happen. Could their former royal family be given some kind of courtesy status ? That already happens when the state does statewide ceremonies, a representative of the former royal family is always given a high place of honor at the ceremony.

Wouldn't that be equivalent to granting a title of nobility, which the US Constitution prohibits?

Of countries that could become monarchies again- didn't Montenegro just give some official status to its royal family?

Wouldn't that be equivalent to granting a title of nobility, which the US Constitution prohibits?

Of countries that could become monarchies again- didn't Montenegro just give some official status to its royal family?

Yes they did, from the Wikipedia article on Crown Prince Nicholas II of Montenegro:

"On the 12 July 2011 the Parliament of Montenegro adopted the Law on the Status of the Descendants of the Petrović Njegoš Dynasty. [2][3]
The law "regulates the important issues regarding the status of the descendants of the Petrović-Njegoš dynasty, for the historical and moral rehabilitation of the Petrović-Njegoš dynasty for whom their dethroning was contrary to the Constitution of the Kingdom of Montenegro, a violent act of annexation in the year 1918." (Article 1).

The law recognises the descendants of King Nikola I in the male line and their wives as the descendants of the Petrović-Njegoš dynasty (Article 2), and appoints the eldest male heir, namely Prince Nikola II, as the representative of the dynasty (Article 5). It also affirms the House law of the dynasty by defining the succession to the headship of the dynasty as being passed down through the "male heir of the oldest male heir" (Article 5). The law protects the use of the heraldic symbols of the dynasty by the representative of the dynasty, Prince Nikola II (Article 6).

Article 8 allows for members of the dynasty to obtain Montenegrin citizenship and also to be dual-nationals of other nations without losing their Montenegrin citizenship. This is of particular relevance today as all of the members of the dynasty currently also hold French citizenship.
The law also creates the non-political (Article 10) Petrović-Njegoš Foundation (Article 9), an organisation chaired by Prince Nikola II (Article 10), with its aim to "affirm the Montenegrin culture and participation in humanitarian and development activities in the interest of Montenegro and its traditions" (Article 9).

From Montenegro's exchequer, the law allocates 4.3 million euros over a seven year period to the Petrović-Njegoš Foundation (Article 11). In addition, Prince Nikola II is entitled to a monthly income equivalent to the gross monthly earnings of the President of Montenegro (Article 16).
The Petrovic-Njegoš Foundation has its seat in Montenegro. "The Descendants of the dynasty are given the continuous use of the house of King Nikola I Petrović-Njegoš in Njeguši...its gardens...and meadow-land."
"Descendants of the dynasty will have built for them a family home in Cetinje...and be given an apartment in Podgorica" (Article 12).
To carry out their official functions Prince Nikola II has the right to use State objects and resources and "the exclusive right of use of the first storey" of the Petrović Palace (Dvorac Petrovića) in Podgorica, "and when protocol requires, use of the ground floor with priority over other users" (Article 13).
The law allows for Prince Nikola II to act as a representative of the Government of Montenegro and perform other protocolar and non-political functions (Article 7). The first such undertaking was made by the Prince in July 2011 when he represented the Prime Minister of Montenegro, Igor Lukšić, at the requiem of Otto von Habsburg, former Crown Prince of Austria-Hungary.

When performing functions on behalf of the Government, Prince Nikola II and the other members of the dynasty are afforded full State protocol (Article 15)." "

Do you think that there is any country in the world that will become a monarchy - again or for the first time?

I can easily North Korea becoming an absolute hereditary monarchy. Practically speaking it already is.

Monarchy Restoration?

Im torn between really agreeing with those others posts who think any or most Monarchies chance of restoration is so unlikely in the modern and global-political world we have become - almost ideologically!
I certainly cant think of any seriously obvious Royal dynasty candidates likely for near future Monarchy restoration. Except possibly Montenegro.
However im also thinking on the other hand, those few Monarchies that have been restored in recent decades - The Ugandan Dynasties (although they are in tribal and federal situations), Cambodia, are the best examples, as well as Spain of course. Am i missing any other obvious restorations?
Another reason why i really think Monarchies official restoration very unlikely in most cases is that so many former exiled Royal dynasties have returned to their countries over the past few decades to varying levels of restitution and compromise positions of State roles and semi-diplomatic positions, some property restitution, etc - Montenegro, Albania, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Afghanistan, some former Sultanates & Sheikhdoms of South Yemen (Aden & South Arabia).
I think these various cases of returned and restituted Royals have a sort of half-way or compromised acceptance (and maybe pensions or salaries)!
Recent events in Cyrenaica in eastern Libya make The al-Senussi Dynasty one to watch.
The political situations and recent histories in Vietnam or Eithiopia make me think these most unlikely examples for near future restoration of Monarchy.
So for me its maybe Montenegro, and ever so possibly Cyrenaica (but maybe in a Federal Emirate within Libya).
Any agreement or disagreement with all this?

If a country has to return to a monarchy, they have failed in the modern world to create a workable government.

That's nice, if it is in place, but a great waste of money if it is not.

From what I understnad, there is a large support for the former Royal Houses of Serbia (Yugoslavia), Romania and Montenegro. However, as far as actual restoration goes, I'm not so certain.
While people of those countries seem to be in favour of Monarchy, and no major political and/or religious groups oppose it either, there is also no momentum for the restoration. No one is ready to take the first and most decisive step - openly and officially declaring support for restoration. As such, unless some drastic events take place, a restoration is rather unlikely.

or as a wild card they ask an ordinary man and his family to become a new monarch and royal family and start a new dynasty eg i coiuld suddly hacve a gov ask me joe public come and be our monach etc not it will happen thou but you never know but a constuonal monachy is good as long you have ground rules . now i just need to find some land and stake claim (thats touge in cheek by the way)

Head and Heart

Restoration is a head and heart issue. Personally, my heart is with Kings Michael and Constantine, i would dearly love to see both restored to their respective thrones, the unfairness of their present situations finally righted. However, my head tells me something different, that the obstacles in their way may simply be insurmountable....only time will tell. On a different note, i take great issue with the assertion that a country has " failed " if it abandons it`s republic, for a former Monarchy. Whereas it is true that virtually every failed state in the world is a republic, hardly any of them were former Monarchies, and indeed, a good number would be only too glad to have a former constitutional Monarch to turn to!!!

Monarchy Restoration?

From what I understnad, there is a large support for the former Royal Houses of Serbia (Yugoslavia), Romania and Montenegro. However, as far as actual restoration goes, I'm not so certain.
While people of those countries seem to be in favour of Monarchy, and no major political and/or religious groups oppose it either, there is also no momentum for the restoration. No one is ready to take the first and most decisive step - openly and officially declaring support for restoration. As such, unless some drastic events take place, a restoration is rather unlikely.

Totally agree, without pro-active momentum and even charasmatic leadership no Republican Government will take the initiative in restoring any Monarchy.
The situation with Montenegro and the Royal family is different to the other Balkan States mainly because the idea and history of the Monarchy is very tied-in with the independence of Montenegro, its history and their separate identity from the Serbs and the 'Greater' Serbian (Yugoslavia) past.
The Montenegro people and government are very pro-Monarchy, and the government have led the way in the recent restitution and the Crown Prince and Royal families future looks very stable and positive.
Albania has also been fairly positive in its treatment and restitution to the Royal Zogu family, particularly by the Salih Berisha Government.
Then probably Romania's and Serbia's situation is fairly similar to each others partial restitution of their Royal families, in regards to returned palace homes (if not actual ownership) and certain honoury roles and positions.
Although their Governments attitudes are far less warm towards the Royal families than in Montenegro and Albania.
So for me, its still Montenegro that leads the way in any chance of Monarchy restoration.
Then of course im still interested to see how the very fluid changing situation developes in Libya, with an eye on Libya's Royal al-Senussi family and the autonomy in Cyrenaica, with the al-Senussi Dynasty involvement in the new local leadership.

Ps - Also totally agree with 'James VI' post and comments re defence of Constitutional Monarchy.

That's nice, if it is in place, but a great waste of money if it is not.

What makes you think a republic is cheaper? Presidents receive salaries and life pensions. Security needs to be in place for Presidents and their families, even after they leave office, There is the cost of elections every 4 or 5 years. Official residences need to me maintained. Staff has to be paid for. Official travel needs to be paid for. We know for instance that the costs of the presidencies of Germany and Italy both exceed those of the British monarchy. I dont see how a monarchy would be more expensive, in fact it may even be cheaper since there would be no elections and no pensions for a monarch.

What makes you think a republic is cheaper? Presidents receive salaries and life pensions. Security needs to be in place for Presidents and their families, even after they leave office, There is the cost of elections every 4 or 5 years. Official residences need to me maintained. Staff has to be paid for. Official travel needs to be paid for. We know for instance that the costs of the presidencies of Germany and Italy both exceed those of the British monarchy. I dont see how a monarchy would be more expensive, in fact it may even be cheaper since there would be no elections and no pensions for a monarch.

Absolutely agree, and Monarchy represents and promotes the cultures, heritage, and histories, as well as tourism often, as part of society and individual national identity and cohesive continuity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom