Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't think of any monarchies that were unjustly overthrown. I do think that certain members of families, Louis XVI and his family, Nicholas II and his family were unjustly murdered; but the monarchy was not unjustly overthrown. France is a good example of the grass being greenier on the other side and going back and forth throughout the centuries.
BTW is America on this list? We didn't overthrow a monarchy we just didn't want them in control of the country anymore. And from an outsider it looks like Russia got worse without their Tsar under the communist; but they went out 20yrs ago and since then I don't know if it is better or worse.

RUSSIA! Just because they had the coolest monarchy/atocracy.
Copy that. And if they could restore the treasures they once had made by Faberge all the better.
However I'm not sure who I would want to take up the mantle of Tsar, who are you rooting for Xenia?

I agree 100% with XeniaCasiraghi...none on the monarchies you mention were unjustly overthrown...at the time of both the Russian and French Revolutions most of the populace were living in conditions that were shocking and unsustainable.

Revolution could have been(in my opinion) avoided in both cases.

The Russian autocrats were themselves brutal and bigoted(the pograms against the Jews for example) and the French monarchs with their immorality, lechery and merciless taxation to fund their endless parade of wars and mistresses almost guaranteed Revolution.

It was the execution of their families(Bourbon and Romanov) that included in both cases innocent children that blighted these Revolutions, imo...and caused me to have more sympathy for the Royals than for the Revolutionaries...also in both cases.

Last edited:
The world does not need another royal family. We have more than enough tabloid 'news' to digest (and laugh at) in one week!

As they are already a RF, there won't be "another one". They would only be reinstated.

I agree 100% with XeniaCasiraghi...none on the monarchies you mention were unjustly overthrown...at the time of both the Russian and French Revolutions most of the populace were living in conditions that were shocking and unsustainable...
You are right on the mark. You have assessed this situation, perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greece is in such trouble right now, I am sure sentiment has a lot of people wanting them back. However, I don't think it will happen.

Perhaps the Greek have their back to the wall and would perhaps be glad for some support from a potential contender ?

The last thing the Greeks need is a monarchy, today. They need financial savy people, not pomp and circumstance. By the way, NotHRH, I love to peruse all this stuff. But monarchies are archaic and are fine if they are accepted and are there, but restoring one is foolhardy. Sorry, Russo.

Crown Princes of Serbia seem to be well accepted in their country. Maybe the monarchy will be restored there.

You may have points regarding France and Russia, but it's rather different from the Balkan examples we are talking about here such as Serbia, Albania, Montenegro, etc since what's happened to those countries since WWII was just awful (Communism and more recently conflict), and they are still dealing with its consequences today. That's why things like restoring the monarchies in those countries resonates among people, because of a feeling they need to "undo" what had been done to those countries.

DavidV.,
The state of the world today, in almost all nations, is awful in itself. I will not question your assumptions about the condition of Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, etc., since WWII.
My belief that restoring any royal family to a non-existent 'throne' is not the, or a solution to the problems faced in many former 'constitutional monarchies.' The dream of restoration only evokes the 'sentimental value' in those who take pride in their former royal families. That has been my main point in all of my posts within this particular thread. Disagreement with my statement in any thread is expected and welcomed.
COUNTESS said:
...I love to peruse all this stuff.
I too like to peruse and then research various tidbits of information also. Knowledge is power!

I can't see any country "going back" and restoring their Monarchy System. They may embrace the family, but to vote in order to be restored, nah, don't think so.

France is a point in case.

There is a sizeable constituency of monarchists, as can be ascertained in these forums (or, correctly, "fora") and in the Francophone press.

The last thing the Greeks need is a monarchy, today. They need financial savy people, not pomp and circumstance. By the way, NotHRH, I love to peruse all this stuff. But monarchies are archaic and are fine if they are accepted and are there, but restoring one is foolhardy. Sorry, Russo.
Ah, but this is the stuff of dreams and Russo is nothing if not a dreamer.
:flowers:

I admit I don't know a lot about the Eastern countries that were once a part of the Soviet Union, but sometimes I think they would be better under a Tsar who is more modern and not a tyranical autocrat who doesn't care about his people.

Ah, but this is the stuff of dreams and Russo is nothing if not a dreamer.
:flowers:

Ah, my dear Russo, only in dreams. And only if your the one in power. The rest is just sentimeta , sorry, junk.

Ah, my dear Russo, only in dreams. And only if your the one in power. The rest is just sentimeta , sorry, junk.
Actually, I wouldn't WANT to be the one in power to rule such a vast place. The Russian people have a curious habit of assassinating their rulers. :whistling:

so this country would perhaps return to the monarchy if it would help people .. although I do not see how this would help!:ermm:

In Russia and Portugal the support for monarchy restoration is growing.It's possible but it may take a long time.It will probably mostly be in Eastern European states and some very Catholic ones.

Portugal

I am portuguese and a strong supporter of Monarchy restoration in my country. It was unfairly abolished on October 5th of 1910 and our last King, Manuel II, went to England where he died without ever returning to Portugal. He married and english woman but didn't left any descendent. After his uncle, Prince Afonso, death, also without descendents, the heir line went King Miguel I descendents that were banned after the civil war in the 1820s. King Manuel II and Duarte Nuno (King Miguel I grandson) made an agreement in case there were no descendents. It was known as the Pact of Dover. King Manuel died in 1932 and it was only in the 1950s that the portuguese government headed by dictator Salazar recognized Duarte Nuno as the legitimate heir of the throne and authorized the returning to Portugal of royal descendents. Today the heir is Duarte Nuno son, D. Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza. He is a very respected person and is often invited to several ceremonies by local maiors, associations, institutes, and sometimes official state parties. When he married in 1995, the wedding was given state credentials with the invitation of the President of the Republic and the Prime Minister. It was followed by hundreds of people on the streets with the portuguese monarchy flag. It was a sign that many portuguese still believe in the monarchy. Despite the formal party, PPM, is a minor party, it doesn't represent portuguese monarchists because the majority vote in the main parties and even some MPs and known monarchists ministers never belonged to that party. Unfortunately, portuguese constitution doesn't allow a referendum to the form of the regime. Only when that article is changed, it will be possible to ask portuguese people what do they choose. Of course before there must be a campaign to teach many portuguese what the Monarchy really is because there are many wrong ideas and prejudices towards it.

I know it's a long shot, but I would like France to have some sort of constitutional monarchy again.
The idea of "Laicité" doesn't really suit the French, emotionally speaking.

What a strange assertion and i don't see the link btw "laicité" and constitutional monarchy :flowers:

I don't see any of the European countries becoming monarchy again. I think especially for the Eastern European countries (maybe except Russia) it would be a step back in terms what they have fighted for. After fighting for democracy for so long, people are not ready to accept that the head of state won't be choosen by them, in a direct or indirect way.

I am currently reading "George, Nicholas and Wilhelm", about the three monarchs before WWI.

Kaiser Wilhelm would surely count as an authoritarian ruler by today's standards, and Nicholas was an absolute monarch, with no rule of law at all other than his whim.

With rulers like those embedded in people's memories in those countries, the monarchist cause is surely hurt, as nobody wants a dictatorship. If only they'd been like UK monarchs, who mostly stayed out of government.

I know it's a long shot, but I would like France to have some sort of constitutional monarchy again.

France is the first country which appears to my mind if I think of Laicité.
Plus it´s more healthy for the French Royals, if they don´t reign :D

East-European countries maybe? Romania or Bulgaria?

I think even the chances for Germany or Austria would be higher to have a monarchy back than for France. :D
What I mean with this statement: chance for monarchy in France = zéro. ;)
Gone for good, IMO.

Last edited:
What about Greece? Why can't the people or whomever let him rightfully and officially be HM king Constantine II of Greece and letting it be a constitutional monarchy.

What about Greece? Why can't the people or whomever let him rightfully and officially be HM king Constantine II of Greece and letting it be a constitutional monarchy.

And why should they? He got his chance and abuse his powers, he could blame nobody but himself.

Back
Top Bottom