Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why Egypt ?
Simply because of International condemnation of Christian persecution there. Which will result in the party-system (religious parties are banned) becoming more unstable - thus a shift towards Monarchism will result.

It's only a thought. Not like any other African country has a chance. (afaik)

I'm not sure how strong support there is for monarchism in Egypt, particularly given the legacy of the monarchy there. On the other hand, one thing that has happened in Egypt is that many feel the 1952 Revolution ultimately disappointed and many of the gains made have not been sustained (although the great increase in population since did put a lot of strain on the country's resources and infrastructure, but that's not pertinent here).

I would put forth that Simeon III of Bulgaria and Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia have shown two different ways of furthering their cause. Simeon chose to be DIRECTLY involved in politics, even serving as PM, but doing so set back the cause of restoration at least in the short term. Certainly one can understand why, because many Bulgarians had turned to him when existing political options were exhausted in trying to solve that country's problems.

Alexander on the other hand is doing it the right way, and better for it: he keeps out politics while having good relations with the Serbian political class, which is how a constitutional monarch should be. In doing so, he has been able to keep restoration a topic of political discussion in Serbia. Furthermore, the country faces severe social problems as a result of war (because a whole generation has grown up with conflict), which I think makes the argument stronger.

To cut a long story short, many people are just desperate to break completely with the recent (Communist-dominated or war-torn) past.

This morning an ABC reporter in the eastern half of Libya said that the rebels there were rallying behind the 'old imperial banner'. The eastern half of the country is where the former royal family of Libya is from, maybe the ABC reporter meant that royal flag of Libya before the revolutions???!!!

Edit: Here are protestors flying the old flag of the Kingdom of Libya.

Last edited:
If there was any surviving offspring of the Libyan Monarchy a resurection of it would be possible (perhaps even likely). They will need symbols to unite the country after Gadaffi is out. But since the one and only king of Libya had no children of his body survive childhood the Monarchy option seems lost, electing a new dynasty when none exist would probably create more porblem that it solves.

King for Finland

Finland have a long and glamorous tradition under monarchy rule. Before ninetieth century kings and czars had govern our nation and gain reputation as fair rulers amongst people. But the rise of Soviet Union ended this era and turn us to a republic. A sad story.

Now Soviet Union have collapsed and european monetary union is at high risk of collapse. We might see similar movement in north europe as we have seen in north africa. People are not happy to current regime and are seeking for alternative. There is no real alternative found yet. Could a king be a one? Live and see.

Comparing to situation in Libya, it's more likely in here. We eager a strong leader; something totally opposed to our weak parliament. Libya have a strong leader; they might not want a new one.

Just found this thread saw one of the first suggestions was Vietnam...as much as I love the Imperial family they'll never be restored. My mother is Vietnamese with several friends still there and I asked her if she ever knew of anyone who talked about them and she answered in the negative.

I think the biggest reason why monarchies won't be restored is that people just don't think about them anymore. They seem outdated and many of the countries that could benefit from the unification that a restored Monarchy can bring are trying to escape dictators who ruled for life, so it's not a viable option for them.

Wasn't there some group years back, pretty much a joke, which wanted to name Prince Edward the King of Estonia?

I think Ethiopia could become monarchy. The last emperor was Haile Selassie. Haile Selassie Biography - S9.com He was once very popular in his country but later not so much because of many political events he was not able to handle and a horrible famine in 1970s.
So, Haile was dethroned & kept in house arrest during revolution in 1970s.
Haile belonged to Solomonic Dynasty. His grandson, Zera Yacob is the head of the Imperial House. He's 57, lives in Ethiopia and has the only child, a daughter.
I wonder how Ethiopians feel about the monarchy coming back, but I wish it could happen, it was once really great dynasty, one of the oldest in the world.

Finland have a long and glamorous tradition under monarchy rule. Before ninetieth century kings and czars had govern our nation and gain reputation as fair rulers amongst people. But the rise of Soviet Union ended this era and turn us to a republic. A sad story.

Now Soviet Union have collapsed and european monetary union is at high risk of collapse. We might see similar movement in north europe as we have seen in north africa. People are not happy to current regime and are seeking for alternative. There is no real alternative found yet. Could a king be a one? Live and see.

Comparing to situation in Libya, it's more likely in here. We eager a strong leader; something totally opposed to our weak parliament. Libya have a strong leader; they might not want a new one.
I think it is possible. In times of crisis and chaos people may look for unity. The parliamentary monarchy can be useful then. The monarch would symbolize the nation unity, standing above any conflicts and represent tradition. I'm not sure if I like a strong monarchy, but parliamentary one with a king as a figurehead but also uniting the nation _something like that happened in Spain in 1970s.

The best chances are still in the Balkans and Georgia, since it is considered a viable option and part of mainstream debate, besides the fact that claimants like Alexander in Serbia actually want it. Far less chance in Western Europe, except that monarchist sentiment appears to be growing in Portugal from what I can see.

We'll see what happens in Libya. Or whether such movements can actually organise in Tunisia, Egypt or Yemen.

If there was any surviving offspring of the Libyan Monarchy a resurection of it would be possible (perhaps even likely). They will need symbols to unite the country after Gadaffi is out. But since the one and only king of Libya had no children of his body survive childhood the Monarchy option seems lost, electing a new dynasty when none exist would probably create more porblem that it solves.
The Islamic Senussi Order has many members, and there are two pretenders to the Libyan throne. They have expressed support for the Libyan Revolution, and one of them - the most accepted of the two - has campaigned for a pro-Western Constitutional Monarchy for years.

It is highly unlikely they will be re-established, although they may become significant in Politics nonetheless.

I think Ethiopia could become monarchy. The last emperor was Haile Selassie. Haile Selassie Biography - S9.com He was once very popular in his country but later not so much because of many political events he was not able to handle and a horrible famine in 1970s.
So, Haile was dethroned & kept in house arrest during revolution in 1970s.
Haile belonged to Solomonic Dynasty. His grandson, Zera Yacob is the head of the Imperial House. He's 57, lives in Ethiopia and has the only child, a daughter.
I wonder how Ethiopians feel about the monarchy coming back, but I wish it could happen, it was once really great dynasty, one of the oldest in the world.
Given ethnic diversity in Ethiopia, it is unlikely the Emperor will be restored. I am no expert on Rastafarianism, but they are of the opinion that Haile Selassie was supposed to be the last Emperor. Given the fact Ethiopia will have a population of 220 million in 2050, it is highly unlikely there will be a new African constitutional Monarch.

The best chances are still in the Balkans and Georgia, since it is considered a viable option and part of mainstream debate, besides the fact that claimants like Alexander in Serbia actually want it. Far less chance in Western Europe, except that monarchist sentiment appears to be growing in Portugal from what I can see.

We'll see what happens in Libya. Or whether such movements can actually organise in Tunisia, Egypt or Yemen.
Tunisia has been under a Republican form of government for over a century... As for Yemen, only the North had a Monarchy, so it is doubtful it will return unless they split once more.

I retract my previous statement on Egypt, since the Revolution, I am 100% sure they will remain a Republic.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't know what country will likely be a monarchy again. But whoever is campaigning for the return of the monarchy in question, is not doing a very good job.

Which is one of the problems with monarchies today. In order for a monarchy to be restored, the people must have a certain appeal towards it. But more importantly, should be necessary and highly beneficial.

If people from a republic were given if they want a monarchy in the model of say, contemporary constitutional monarchies, they might take interest in these monarchies as the view of outsiders. But as a government for them, there won't be a wide consensus to have this for the republic has better appeal to them than the contemporary constitutional monarchies. And if all the functions of that monarchy is like the contemporary constitutional monarchies, then it won't be a necessity to them and not beneficial.

For the institution of monarchy to make a comeback today, Its public presentation will have to continue changing, but so must its avowed rationale.

It's impossible to predict when a country will restore it's monarchy. Could Germans have predicted in 1910 that their monarchy would be abolished? Could the French in 1795 have predicted that a new monarchy would arise, followed by their old one?

But, I think that Romania and Serbia have the greatest chance of having a monarchy again.

I don't think that monarchists campaign hard enough for restoration. Republicans campaign a lot in monarchies, why not the other way? I suppose I understand that they don't want to force the people. But how can the people know that monarchy is a viable alternative to a republic without being told so?

Probably, none of them. They are things of the past.

Well in Serbia one poll showed most people favourable to a restoration, and both that and Georgia are the best bet for it. The Balkan nations and Georgia need to undo the terrible things that have happened in the last century to move forward, and restorations will give them that.

You know the funny thing is people forget that Rome was a republic for centuries before Julius became Ceasar (basically a dictator) and his nephew Octavian turned Rome into an Empire. Thus restoring a monarchy that had been obsolete for generations. France restored it's monarchy after Napolean not once but twice. So I do think that it would be possible for a monarchy to be restored in any nation.
Though I do think it is unlikely absolute monarchy will be restored anywhere.

Problem with restoring or creating a monarchy in a republic, is that too many people in the top government have too much to lose, compared to what can be won.

Ministers and presidents will be challenged on their position as well as their future prospects. Many politicians have an ambition of being president - i.e. are power hungry. With a monarch in place all those dreams are snuffed out.

Hence far more politicians will favor a republic if they see the posibility.

For many of the developed countries to revert to monarchism, it will take an event of serious concequences, such as massive popular uprisings, civil war or deep economic depression. If we look at the EU, that union itself will have to be dissolved and much turmoil will have to happen - a balkanization of sorts.

In that case, it's possible that several countries will see a strengthening of the monarchic wing - Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and most of the balkan countries.

But republicans will never volounterely yield power, even to constitutional monarchies, as it removes their chance of being "caliph instead of the caliph" (referenced from the comic iznogood).

Hopefully countries can agree and establish/reestablish a marchy before the US comes in and turns the whole world into a democracy. Maybe someone can come over here and do the opposite

Problem with restoring or creating a monarchy in a republic, is that too many people in the top government have too much to lose, compared to what can be won.

Ministers and presidents will be challenged on their position as well as their future prospects. Many politicians have an ambition of being president - i.e. are power hungry. With a monarch in place all those dreams are snuffed out.

Hence far more politicians will favor a republic if they see the posibility.

For many of the developed countries to revert to monarchism, it will take an event of serious concequences, such as massive popular uprisings, civil war or deep economic depression. If we look at the EU, that union itself will have to be dissolved and much turmoil will have to happen - a balkanization of sorts.

In that case, it's possible that several countries will see a strengthening of the monarchic wing - Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and most of the balkan countries.

But republicans will never volounterely yield power, even to constitutional monarchies, as it removes their chance of being "caliph instead of the caliph" (referenced from the comic iznogood).

Ummm that has been the case in the former Eastern Bloc for decades, and more specifically the Balkans and Caucasus. Those countries not only have to deal with the awful legacy of Communism- which is still not fully undone- but also of some quite nasty conflicts. Enough time has passed for most people to see that what they have now is incapable of fulfilling what those countries need. With Portugal you have a point.

Im not expecting it to be but,I think Scotland should have it's own monarchy back again.It's unfair that it is always associated with England and lost it's identity.

Well if it did,Prince Andrew and Princess Beatrice would be the next monarchs of that country and I dont think that's their thing.

Ummm that has been the case in the former Eastern Bloc for decades, and more specifically the Balkans and Caucasus. Those countries not only have to deal with the awful legacy of Communism- which is still not fully undone- but also of some quite nasty conflicts. Enough time has passed for most people to see that what they have now is incapable of fulfilling what those countries need. With Portugal you have a point.

IIRC, in russia following the collapse of the Soviet bloc, people in St. Petersburg were calling out for the Tsar. I have no idea to what extent (i.e. was it a relatively small gathering or was it actually a (local) popular movement that just petered out).

The problem for dictatorships reverting to monarchism is that other (democratic) countries just see one dictatorship replacing another. If, however, a relatively democratic state would reintroduce monarchism, the legitimacy - and foreign support - would be stronger.
In the eastern European countries, it would be hard to pick up a legitimate line, why it was more reasonable to go republican in the moment.

But eventually - we see it in Greece, Balkan and Italy - the pretenders are allowed back in the countries and could in time win some popular support - or find a natural "aristocratic", elevated role. And if the previously mentioned events were to take place, an established claimant could be reaching for the throne with a reasonable amount of popular support.

In Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria and Georgia, there is a clear claimant to the throne, significant public support for restoration, and in Serbia's case Alexander actually wants it.

But eventually - we see it in Greece, Balkan and Italy - the pretenders are allowed back in the countries and could in time win some popular support - or find a natural "aristocratic", elevated role. And if the previously mentioned events were to take place, an established claimant could be reaching for the throne with a reasonable amount of popular support.
Greece and Italy are exceptional cases. Whereas most monarchies were unjustly overthrown with regimes replacing them almost invariably worse (especially Portugal and Germany), Greece and Italy were the only countries to abolish them by referendum.

In Italy's case, besides the fairness of the referendum being questioned, the House of Savoy is hard for anyone to defend (IMO), yet the treatment metered out to them does seem grossly unfair considering that the Mussolini family not only stayed in Italy, but are still in politics.

In Greece, the royal family was/is a divisive issue and a restoration is extremely unlikely even compared to the other examples, yet it does seem that Greeks' attitudes towards Constantine and his family have softened somewhat, presumably linked to the discrediting of its political elites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not expecting it to be but,I think Scotland should have it's own monarchy back again.It's unfair that it is always associated with England and lost it's identity.

Well if it did,Prince Andrew and Princess Beatrice would be the next monarchs of that country and I dont think that's their thing.

I they did, whcih I think they shoudl if they break up the United Kingdom is to elect one not just take the first availabel British royal.
Create a new Scot Royal house based on the oldest Scots noble house for example.

RUSSIA! Just because they had the coolest monarchy/atocracy.

The restoration of a monarchy or toppling a monarchy, just proves that the grass is always greener on the other. Everything has it's attributes and it's downfalls - nothing goes untouched, nothing is ever perfect. A country's form of government can be changed, but with time comes also the realization that the 'new' government has it's flaws. Be careful for what you pray for, you might just get it!

The restoration of a monarchy or toppling a monarchy, just proves that the grass is always greener on the other. Everything has it's attributes and it's downfalls - nothing goes untouched, nothing is ever perfect. A country's form of government can be changed, but with time comes also the realization that the 'new' government has it's flaws. Be careful for what you pray for, you might just get it!

I think it's fair to say that a) most monarchies that fell were unjustly overthrown and b) the regimes that replaced them were invariably worse for their people, and much more than that.

I think it's fair to say that a) most monarchies that fell were unjustly overthrown and b) the regimes that replaced them were invariably worse for their people, and much more than that.

I can't think of any monarchy that was unjustly overthrown, certainly not in modern times (the Stuarts would be the only one I can think if since the Middle Ages) although I do agree that the regimes that replaced them were often worse than that that came before.

Please name the monarchies that were 'unjustly' overthrown and why you think it was 'unjust'.

Unfortunately, for you 'unjustly' is one of those words that is considered 'relative.' What he considers unjust, you may not. In other words, it is simply his opinion. Whether you agree with his opinion or not is totally irrelevant - his point of view has been stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, for you 'unjustly' is one of those words that is considered 'relative.' What he considers unjust, you may not. In other words, it is simply his opinion. Whether you agree with his opinion or not is totally irrelevant - his point of view has been stated.

Without going into any political discussions due to the taboo here, what did happen to half of Europe after 1945 - which affects Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Romania and Bulgaria - was definitely unjust and its effects are still being felt. The simple fact that the regimes that replaced what had been in place before proved disastrous for not only those countries, but ultimately for many more, would alone make the depositions unjust.

Back
Top Bottom