Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Given as Austria doesn’t have a throne (and hasn’t for 98 years), I would say no. Now, if Hungary first restored the monarchy under Georg, then Austria were to move towards restoring the monarchy, I would highly doubt either nation would be okay with Georg becoming monarch of Austria.
There is no real debate in Hungary to restore the Monarchy even if some Habsburg support the country having different public roles.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Gentry

Hungary!!!!!

True, but you've got to admit with the nation of Hungary bringing back Kingdom of Hungary-era symbols like the old crowned coat of arms along with a few other traditions there does appear to be a climate where a constitutional monarchy could work. I have researched and re-researched modern Hungarian monarchism just about every month or so and I have found new blogs showing with a meager thousand or so support, which is rather decent amount of support for a nation with just roughly ten million people. There are some who favor Habsburg restoration, although not many but it is a distant outcome nonetheless. Still I have always found Hungary to be rather fascinating. Even though Hungary isn't one of the most likely of restoration it isn't exactly the most impossible either so who knows.

-Frozen Royalist

Old Today, 12:22 AM
Gentry

Is it just me or have monarchist movements in general been super quiet. I mean you hardly hear anything besides the Iranian protests or the occasional article about Romania or Libya, sometimes Brazil if we're lucky.

I know the fight is an uphill one but monarchists like ourselves declining in numbers, just staying the same, or do people just don't care?

It just rather infuriates me when I look at nations like Brazil where popular protest or appetites for change just don't go anywhere.

I just refuse to believe that these are the final decades of monarchism as a whole. I know it's a matter of a will of the people and attitudes of royals themselves but still.

-Frozen Royalist
Old Today, 12:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

To be honest I do believe that monarchy is fading. People want a say in all aspects of their government and that includes their Head of State.

When I first joined this board I was a monarchist but I am now a republican through and through - the sooner Australia becomes a republic the better as far as I am concerned.

What happens in other countries should be determined by the people in those countries and in most of them they don't want their monarchies back and those with monarchies are seeing calls for them abolition (softly in some and more loudly in others).

Monarchy is incompatible with the idea of an egalitarian society which is why most countries that are democracies don't want them back - particularly when they often had to have a violent period in their nation's history to get rid of them in the first place.
Old Today, 01:37 AM
Majesty

Really depends on how a country views its monarchy really.

Canada really has no republican movement to speak of. Except Quebec. A huge contrast to majority of the remaining countries under the queen. Likely because of how we view the monarchy.

The difference? Canada does see itself as a democracy. When we talk the head of our country, we mean our prime minister. When we are educated in school, the prime minister is really little different then a president in a republic. The queen is a face on money, and someone who opens parliament (well her governor general). Other then complaints about cost of a royal tour, there really is no call for a change. Nothing would really change for Canada if we ousted the queen, other then I guess trudeau would open parliament instead.

But yes, those countries which ousted the monarchies, there seems little value to reinstate. The longer those monarchies have been out of power, the less likely for them to be re-instated. There is a slight difference when it was a military coup which took over like Spain. They weren't talking of replacing a democratically elected government with the monarchy.

Tags
constitution, future, pretender, restore, royalist