The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2017, 07:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshYJ View Post
But there is a monarchy in Cambodia that elects a monarch, And of course Hawaii has to cede. But what if it wants British royao family to rule it again?
Why the British Royal family? Hawaii was an independent country with it's own Royal Family and it is they who should rule over the country not the British.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Hawaii cannot be a monarchy while remaining a US state because the US constitution requires all states to have a republican form of government.
But it should be up to the Hawaiians and not an occupying force who stole their country and deposed their Queen.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
But it should be up to the Hawaiians and not an occupying force who stole their country and deposed their Queen.
The facts:

1. In the late 1800s, a coup overthrew the monarchy of Hawaii. The coup was led by native-born Hawaiians. (They were of US background, but they were native-born Hawaiians.)

2. The US intervened after the coup. The US has acknowledged that the annexation of Hawaii was unlawful.

3. In 1959, over 94% of Hawaiian voters voted for US statehood.

I'm not sure who would qualify today as an "occupying force who stole their country and deposed their Queen", since the Queen was deposed by a native-born Hawaiian-led coup first and then the US intervened. If you're saying that the US shouldn't have any say-so over Hawaii's government, then should the 94% of Hawaiian voters who voted for statehood in 1959 be ignored?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

CSENYC. Impressed. You really know your history properly in true order. Today's PC will not agree but as a history major over 50 years ago, you nailed it correctly. Really don't know what the revised PC history professors have spun or new text books have left out today but historically, you are correct.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Why the British Royal family? Hawaii was an independent country with it's own Royal Family and it is they who should rule over the country not the British.
The British ruled Hawaii before USA took over. U can read in Wikipedia. There was also a flag of Hawaii with a smaller British flag at the top left.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshYJ View Post
The British ruled Hawaii before USA took over. U can read in Wikipedia. There was also a flag of Hawaii with a smaller British flag at the top left.
No, not at all. And not even in Wikipedia.

The Hawaiian monarchy was began by a native nobe family who united the islands. Yes the flag has the Union Jack. But it also has the American flag. The first king had been friends with John Vancouver who gifted him a flag. He was known to fly it as symbol of friendship. But he had to take it down not to offend Americans. At times to appease the Americans, he flew theirs. In the end he combined the two into their own flag.

The British did at one time seize control but a period of a few months. When the Hawaiians took control back, both the British and French recognized the independent kingdom. It remained independent until the last queen was over thrown by foreign business men who wanted to see it join the US.btgere was Hawaiian support for the coup. And eventually the locals voted to join the US. But no British control.

If the monarchy was restored, this is considered by most the rightful heir

http://www.keouanui.org/Princess-Owana-Salazar.html
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Future of monarchism

Honestly I think the best chance of ever seeing any new human monarchies again is probably going to be in the future where humans develop colonies on moons and planets. Chances are there going to be some dynasties that will rise and establish something like *insert planet/moon name here* kingdom/empire, I mean who knows monarchism may have another golden age, I confident about it, but whether were alive to see said golden age is well debatable. I mean as long as the human race exists, there will be monarchists no matter what.

Now for our current generation, I do see Brazil, Romania, Nepal and possibly Montenegro, Albania and Libya becoming monarchies again. I should also talk about Germany, more and more people are becoming interested about the idea of having a kaiser again (roughly around 20-25% from what I've gathered) so it does have a shot in my opinion. I also think Egypt and Greece may have a shot if the former royal families step up their game in their countries. I am curious about post Islamic Republic Iran and post Communist Vietnam and Laos as well, but only time will tell about that.

Now I will leave with what Archduke Karl von Habsburg once said: "You never know what's going to happen in the future", so all we can really do is have faith in the matter and hope things will finally and I mean finally turn out in our favor.

What about you guys?

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Personally I don't see Hawaii ever really happening, ever.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see countries reinstating a monarchy in the 21st century.

More likely a few more of the existing ones such as Barbardos and Jamaica will become republics - along with both NZ and Australia.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
I should also talk about Germany, more and more people are becoming interested about the idea of having a kaiser again (roughly around 20-25% from what I've gathered) so it does have a shot in my opinion
At a poll in 2016 only 16% thought monarchy a future option for Germany, 72% are against it.
Umfrage zur Monarchie: Keine Chance für König von Deutschland - Panorama - Stuttgarter Nachrichten

Germans tend to be interested in royals and nobels from other countries, but imo Germany would be one of the least likely countries to reinstate monarchy.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Aristocracy

As democracy becomes more secure in those parts of central and eastern Europe which were under Soviet domination, I think there is a real chance (more than a hope) that the Royal Houses will gain constitutional recognition as institutions which have a role to play in the life of a state. Montenegro has already taken this step, Romania is currently debating it and other likely candidates are Serbia and Albania. If it is adopted and seen to work in these countries, others may follow. However, the three countries mentioned have Royal Families who are actively promoting the role they can play. Other families, particularly among younger generations, are less engaged, at least visibly.

We may be moving toward a situation in which we have some republics which are secure enough to allow a formal cermeonial role for former ruling houses, not as Heads of State but Representatives of State, rather like "Super-Ambassadors".
Personally, I think this is the best way to go for many former ruling houses - it's non confrontational and non-threatening. Others could see this as selling out to the republic and be vehemently opposed.

In countries where the monarchy is associated (sometimes unfairly) with national disgrace or humiliation and/or dictatorship, the chances of the above happening are much smaller and in several cases, constitutional restrictions prevent any legal acknowledgement of royalty. Nonetheless, if Bavaria were allowed to "recognise" its former royal house, as ceremonial representatives, I think it's within the bounds of possibility that a majority of its population would be ok with such a move.

As for former 'Kingdoms' without a clear Royal House/Family (Iceland, Ireland, Czech Lands, Croatia, Poland, Finland, Lithuania....), there's no chance of any change.

Hungary is a weird case. Ostensibly, anti-Habsburg sentiment rules out any hope of positive developments but...... the "ideas" of the Kingdom - and Crown - of Hungary seem to be very powerful symbols.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Here is my opinion of Hungary, I do think there is potential in that nation but the problem is that besides the Habsburgs there is no real Royal House to choose for the nation. I know there are prominent monarchist organizations as well as monarchists themselves but in the end its like Poland, another nation I think has at least some potential in the monarchy department, no house to choose from but plenty of think tank groups promoting the subject thus keeping it alive. Now we just need to find potential monarchs for Hungary and Poland and we'll be golden.

-Frozen Royalist

As Archduke Karl von Habsburg has said once "You never know what's going happen in the future". I'm not suggesting a Habsburg restoration in Hungary but I'm confident you guys understand what I'm getting at here. Who knows maybe Hungarians will change their minds on the Habsburgs if and when Orban goes away.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Within the Habsburg family it is Georg who has the strong connection to Hungary, not Karl. Another complication is that the Habsburgs were also emperor of Austria. So, while I think it is highly unlikely they will go this (or any other) route; asking Georg to ascend thd throne seems a likelier recipe for success than Karl (who of course would need to agree and give up his claims to the Hungarian throne).
Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Other than Brazil, Romania and Libya pretty much being the most logical of seeing chances of restoration how about we talk about nations that could become monarchies under rather bizarre circumstances whether it be a coup or people just giving up entirely on the republic? Which nation could bizarrely become a monarchy, meaning out of total surprise, what do you guys think?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Royalist View Post
Other than Brazil, Romania and Libya pretty much being the most logical of seeing chances of restoration how about we talk about nations that could become monarchies under rather bizarre circumstances whether it be a coup or people just giving up entirely on the republic? Which nation could bizarrely become a monarchy, meaning out of total surprise, what do you guys think?

-Frozen Royalist
The USA
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Courtier

Yes with Trump as King and Ivanka as Crownprincess - how lovely
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Tbh for the foreseeble future, i don't see any country turning themselves into a monarchy.

I think Russia, Greece, Serbia, Romania and Brazil would be more "healthy" as monrchies. But i don't see it happening.

I personally would LOVE if France became a monarchy again, preferebly with the Bonaparte-family on the throne. But that's out of the question.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Aristocracy

Even though Brazil, Romania, Libya and Georgia are the safest bets at the moment (no matter how likely or unlikely a restoration may seem) lets talk about Iran for a moment because I always find that nation to be rather interesting as of now due to recent discussions I've been involved in as well as recent protests. If you think about it Iran could possibly work if the Islamic Republic ever sinks to the bottom of the Persian Gulf but monarchists would have to work hard over there. It doesn't hurt to be optimistic does it friends?

-Frozen Royalist
Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Probably the country with the best chances for the restoration of Monarchy is Serbia because the is a well organized royalist movement and there is a recognized head of the Royal Family and not succession debates.

In Brazil there is a growing monarchists movement.

France dies not have a united royalist movement and has at least two claimants to the Throne.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

If Archduke Georg became King of Hungary, would he have to renounce his rights to the Austrian throne?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Given as Austria doesn’t have a throne (and hasn’t for 98 years), I would say no. Now, if Hungary first restored the monarchy under Georg, then Austria were to move towards restoring the monarchy, I would highly doubt either nation would be okay with Georg becoming monarch of Austria.

Tags
constitution, future, pretender, restore, royalist