The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,018
From what i've read, it seems like the support for the former royal family seems to be very high in Romania. That doesn't have to be the same as a support for a new monarchy but it is a prerequisite if it should ever happen.

I can't see that in any other european country right now. Constantine would certainly love to end his life back on the greek throne but it won't happen. He wasn't very popular when he left tbh and i don't think the greek people would love Pavlos and M-C as their royal couple. They seems to be more interested in living jet set life than to become hard working royals and that's extremly far from the greek culture. Nikolaos would be a better King. But i can't see a restoration of the greek monarchy happening in a foreseeble future. What Greece could do and should do is to stop pretend the monarchy has never existed restore Tatoi, It's surrounding gardens and the royal cemetery to full royal splendour and open it to the public as a museum over the Greek monarchy. That would make a great tourist attraction and younger greeks can learn about their royal history.

The only way Russia would become a monarchy is if Vladimir decides to change his title from President Putin to Tsar Vladimir :-D
I agree that the Romanovs should stay far away.

If there is a country i would LOVE to see as a monarchy again, it won't happen but France has so much of It's royal history and palaces kept that it would be a fantastic constitutional monarchy. But it won't happen. And who should be the King or Emperor ? As the dynasties are fighting with each other now over a throne that doesn't exist and haven't existed for a very long time, how would they do if the throne suddenly did exist ? :-D hahaha. No France is better as a republic !
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 02-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 26
To those of you who say that Hawaii would need to secede from the U.S.A. well:

A certain post by myself over @ Zelda Universe Forums!!

EDIT:


...Also...


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0768126ffc511
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 623
Hawaii is Not a country, it is one of the 50 US states. From the onset of this topic, this disqualifies Hawaii from this discussion. Its just not gonna happen...its really not...
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravergirl View Post
I am pretty sure that Hawaii would have to cede because there is only one form of government in the US-and it is elected, not hereditary
But there is a monarchy in Cambodia that elects a monarch, And of course Hawaii has to cede. But what if it wants British royao family to rule it again?
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 26
Unless the Constitution gets changed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshYJ View Post
But there is a monarchy in Cambodia that elects a monarch, And of course Hawaii has to cede. But what if it wants British royao family to rule it again?


Or maybe the U.S.A. could amend the constitution to allow for monarchies within the United States of America?!


(I REALLY HOPE SO)!!


ALSO:


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ian_monarchies

Also, Malaysia has SEVERAL Royal Families which ROTATE, VIA ELECTION!!
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Hawaii is Not a country, it is one of the 50 US states. From the onset of this topic, this disqualifies Hawaii from this discussion. Its just not gonna happen...its really not...
That is a narrow view of Hawaii, who was an independent state and monarchy only 120 years ago, and who lost its independence because of a forced takeover by the United States. That in itself sets it apart from most other current American states, and is a good basis for a constitutional change in its arrangements.
Although it would require rework, there is always a way where there is a will, and if the proper movement took place, it is not an impossible thing to envision, a Hawaii that remains an American state, but with a monarch instead of a governor, and with large degree with internal self-governing. There are many such semi-sovereign states around the world, where the goal is not complete independence, but a self-governance on important matters and a restoration of cultural and historic institutions.
The Hawaiian monarchy would be one such thing.

The American president would be head of state of the federal country, the monarch of Hawaii would be the representative of Hawaii in most appropriate affairs domestic and foreign.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuf Pic View Post
Or maybe the U.S.A. could amend the constitution to allow for monarchies within the United States of America?!


(I REALLY HOPE SO)!!


ALSO:


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ian_monarchies

Also, Malaysia has SEVERAL Royal Families which ROTATE, VIA ELECTION!!
Sorry but Malaysian states don't choose sultans through election, it was herediately, it was all of Malaysia, therefore election for choosing a sultan of all states of Malaysia including Sabah and Sarawak which have no sultans of their own. Who cares about Indoensia when they have no sultan anymore. President, they got a president.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 26
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshYJ View Post
Sorry but Malaysian states don't choose sultans through election, it was herediately, it was all of Malaysia, therefore election for choosing a sultan of all states of Malaysia including Sabah and Sarawak which have no sultans of their own. Who cares about Indoensia when they have no sultan anymore. President, they got a president.
https://islaminindonesia.com/2011/10...-of-indonesia/


They have numerous constituent monarchies within the Republic, *EVEN NOWADAYS*, as should have been made clear by the URL in my previous post!!


Also, while you are correct that there are Sultans who rotate in the Malaysian Federation, (every 5 years, I believe), it still counts as a *TYPE OF ELECTION!!*
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
That is a narrow view of Hawaii, who was an independent state and monarchy only 120 years ago, and who lost its independence because of a forced takeover by the United States. That in itself sets it apart from most other current American states, and is a good basis for a constitutional change in its arrangements.
Although it would require rework, there is always a way where there is a will, and if the proper movement took place, it is not an impossible thing to envision, a Hawaii that remains an American state, but with a monarch instead of a governor, and with large degree with internal self-governing. There are many such semi-sovereign states around the world, where the goal is not complete independence, but a self-governance on important matters and a restoration of cultural and historic institutions.
The Hawaiian monarchy would be one such thing.

The American president would be head of state of the federal country, the monarch of Hawaii would be the representative of Hawaii in most appropriate affairs domestic and foreign.

Hawaii cannot be a monarchy while remaining a US state because the US constitution requires all states to have a republican form of government.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Hawaii cannot be a monarchy while remaining a US state because the US constitution requires all states to have a republican form of government.
So ravergirl is correct. Hawaii has to cede from U.S.A. but I'm sure U.s.a. will try to stop Hawaii from ceding.
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,424
I very much doubt Hawaii would ever want to be a monarchy again.

Let's face it, monarchies are archaic. A few countries cling to them because of tradition, but I don't see them coming back to any country that has been without for more than a decade.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 4
Monarchy does not mean traditional. Republic is also traditional.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 05-06-2017, 07:02 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshYJ View Post
Monarchy does not mean traditional. Republic is also traditional.
So the discussion might actually focus on the point of the thread, which is about nations that are closer to a monarchical restoration than others, and not which system is traditional or not.
Some naysayers enjoy using the word 'archaic' about the monarchy as an institution, and although that is fascinating in itself, all the while most, if not all, empirical evidence points to monarchies being more prosperous, democratic, educated, socially cohesive etc etc, it is also a sidetrack of this thread.

Whether or not country X could return to a previous form of government is not only an intellectual exercise. It's also a proven model of success and an avenue open to many countries globally who have found themselves losing important aspects of their respective societies by eliminating what they thought was a problem, the monarchy, when in fact, it could had been one of the keys holding the country together.
Countries like Nepal, Laos and Vietnam would to varying degrees find that restoring their monarchies would improve their political and social/societal progress.
Nations like Romania, Serbia, Italy, Albania, Montenegro and Greece would to varying degrees benefit from restoring the monarchy, both to offset corrupt and discredited movements overthrowing them in the first place, and improving political and territorial stability.

Seeing a country become a monarchy again is no more outlandish than seeing a republic rise from the ashes of a kingdom. Times change and systems will come and go, but as long as there are reasons for a restoration and people to carry the banner, there will always be chances to see monarchies return, even in days of 'archaic' conversations.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 05-06-2017, 07:17 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I very much doubt Hawaii would ever want to be a monarchy again.

Let's face it, monarchies are archaic. A few countries cling to them because of tradition, but I don't see them coming back to any country that has been without for more than a decade.
There's that word again.

'A few countries cling to them because of tradition'. Yikes. It takes a special kind of arrogance to make that statement. Every 4th country in the world is a monarchy. 7 of 10 of the richest ones are monarchies. 8 of 10 of the most democratic ones. 8 of 10 of the most literate and educated ones are.
These countries, mine included, are not monarchies because of tradition, although that is always a factor (just like gun totin', land o' the free-celebratin' people in a certain republic across the waters hang on to their 'traditions', come hell or high water), but we are monarchies because it works.
There is no head of state with more amassed knowledge and experience than H.M Queen Elizabeth II.
I can't think of a single head of state that gives stronger, more moving and more inclusive speeches than H.M King Harald V of Norway.
There are few heads of state who safeguard the territorial integrity of their land more than H.M King Philippe of the Belgians.

Anyway. About Hawaii. I suppose you might not think the state will ever return to a monarchical state, and that may be true, but since the United States overthrew a monarchy that was popular to conquer and include the islands in their American union, the islands obviously could say 'aloha' and be as independent as they once was, if they so chose.
I don't think that's the solution they would choose if faced with the options, but instead they might opt for a 'monarchy within the union'-solution.

Article IV, section 4 of the U.S constitution doesn't necessarily ban a monarchical solution for a state. It guarantees their right to have one, but it does not require them to have one. Therefore, if they choose not to, it's quite arguable that this is a wish that could and should be granted.
If the U.S was faced with the option of accommodating Hawaii, or losing Hawaii from the union altogether, I'd bet good money on the former being preferred by all.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post

I don't think that's the solution they would choose if faced with the options, but instead they might opt for a 'monarchy within the union'-solution.

Article IV, section 4 of the U.S constitution doesn't necessarily ban a monarchical solution for a state. It guarantees their right to have one, but it does not require them to have one.

You are wrong about Art IV.


Quote:
It has been established, however, that congressional admission of a state to the union legally implies that the state's then-existing constitution satisfies the Guarantee Clause. Yet the clause does not freeze that state constitution into place, but allows states wide latitude to innovate, so long as they retain the three basic elements of the republican form.

[....] The second required element of republican government was that there be no monarch. The participants in the constitutional debates believed that monarchy, even constitutional monarchy, was inconsistent with republican government. In fact, when Alexander Hamilton proposed a President with lifetime tenure, the delegates so disagreed that they did not even take the time to respond

[....]
The primary purpose of the Guarantee Clause, however, was not protection against pure democracy but against monarchy. Based on precedents in ancient Greece, the drafters feared that kings in one or more states would attempt to expand their power in ways that would destabilize the entire federation. Having republican government in each state was deemed necessary to protect republican government throughout the United States.

For the full text, go to


Guide to the Constitution
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 AM
LadyRohan's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden, Slovenia
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
You are wrong about Art IV.
The debate around article IV, section 4, took place 120 years before the United States overthrew the monarchy of a sovereign kingdom, and the islands were annexed into the U.S. I'm sure you would agree that this poses an interesting debate around an actual process of restoring a monarchy without seceding.
Obviously, if the issue arose, and that is the hypothetical raised to begin with, the United States would have to decide whether it was more important to deny another interpretation of article IV, section 4, or losing the islands completely.

I think, in order to stem any secessionist movement before it even took off, a little leeway granted would be good when it comes to a former nation which was quite content being on its own, under a popular Crown, and who might, just might, want a little justice done to their own heritage, as every nation tends to do at certain moments in time.
__________________
"He who has never failed to reach perfection, has a right to be the harshest critic" - Queen Elizabeth II
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
.
About Hawaii. I suppose you might not think the state will ever return to a monarchical state, and that may be true, but since the United States overthrew a monarchy that was popular to conquer and include the islands in their American union, the islands obviously could say 'aloha' and be as independent as they once was, if they so chose.
I don't think that's the solution they would choose if faced with the options, but instead they might opt for a 'monarchy within the union'-solution.
The monarchy was popular at the time, but since then the population of Hawaii has changed, and become much more diverse. The Native Hawaiian population is now only about 6 %, very much a minority.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 05-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
The debate around article IV, section 4, took place 120 years before the United States overthrew the monarchy of a sovereign kingdom, and the islands were annexed into the U.S. I'm sure you would agree that this poses an interesting debate around an actual process of restoring a monarchy without seceding.
Obviously, if the issue arose, and that is the hypothetical raised to begin with, the United States would have to decide whether it was more important to deny another interpretation of article IV, section 4, or losing the islands completely.

I think, in order to stem any secessionist movement before it even took off, a little leeway granted would be good when it comes to a former nation which was quite content being on its own, under a popular Crown, and who might, just might, want a little justice done to their own heritage, as every nation tends to do at certain moments in time.

The US constitution is very antagonistic towards both monarchy and nobility, but that was to be expected given the circumstances of the time.

In any case, what most people forget is that at least part of the Americans who at the time preferred to live under the King's sovereignty, namely the so-called "Loyalists", left the United States and eventually established their own constitutional monarchy under the British crown north of the border. That country is now called Canada.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Feologild's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Agder, Norway
Posts: 11
I would like to see all European countries become Constitutional monarchies.

Of course that will never happen.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
constitution, future, pretender, restore, royalist


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy? norwegianne General Royal Discussion 527 07-17-2015 04:07 AM
From a country saved by the Monarchy Haliotis Member Introductions 3 03-30-2008 03:27 PM




Popular Tags
albania ascot 2016 best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary eveningwear crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria denmark dictatorship duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge dutch fashion poll iran jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander member introduction member watch monarchy natural disasters new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince louis princess charlene princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit fashion and style princess sofia queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde in jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queenmother queen rania queen rania dresses queen rania fashion queen silvia september 2016 state visit state visit to spain succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises