The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 PM

In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by plseyw View Post
In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.
So both wear it on the right hand or did you mean something else?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

I have Never heard that it is a catholic Thing to wear your wedding band in your left hand?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Question: Do you prefer Diamonds on the wedding band or a plain wedding band?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM

I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Gentry

In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Clarification: Most people wear it on their left hand, some on the right to honor their ancestral culture. Some wear none at all (men AND women (including me)). I have beautiful wedding jewelry, but off it came about 3 weeks after the wedding. My love wore his, but never complained about me not wearing mine.
You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella5x View Post
You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?
A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.
What about a silver one? Is she alergic to silver as well?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR
I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....
Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Courtier

It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

We Finns wear both the engagement and the wedding ring in our left hand, at the ring finger.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't wear rings because of allergies, but the ring is only a symbol anyway. You are just as married whether you wear it or not, so what does it matter?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Commoner

In Sweden most (all?) people wear their rings, both engagement and wedding on the left hand. Queen Silvia wears hers on the left hand. The King doesn't wear a wedding ring.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenafran View Post
In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.
Not true for all catholics in the US. It depends where they come from. My parents were married in the catholic church and wore theirs on their right hands because they are Polish. Not all Polish people in the US do this but those there were born in Poland usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.
Except in some countries the tradition is based on religion with catholics wearing rings on one hand and protestants on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.
In some countries, yes. It's not a rule but the traditions in some places are based on your religion.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 AM
Commoner

Wedding ring - right hand or left hand?

I wear a white gold chain and one of 18ct diamond rings.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.
This is what I heard as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
All arteries goes from the heart out to every part of the body, and all veins goes from every part of the body to the heart. Before people were aware of how the blood circulates in the body, there was an belief that there was a special vein, vena amoris (vein of love) that connected the fourth finger of the left hand with the heart. Here you can read more about on what finger people wear their wedding ring: Your Wedding Ring…Left or Right Hand? « Greek Weddings and Traditions
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Nobility

Americans generally wear both rings on the left ring finger. I was told by my mother to wear my engagement ring on my right ring finger during the wedding ceremony so that the wedding ring goes onto the bare left finger as part of the ceremony, and then afterwards you switch the engagement ring to be worn above the wedding ring on the left. But some people leave the engagement ring below and add the wedding ring on top on the left. And some don't have an engagement ring.
Some widows switch the rings to the right hand, some stop wearing them. My mother has been widowed for six years but still wears her rings on the left. But she is 85 and doesn't want to change.
My best friend has been married 34 years and doesn't wear any kind of wedding ring.