The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Thoughts on an unofficial linguistic monarchy?

I'm a French Canadian, have supported the principle of monarchism since I was in my early twenties, and love Her Majesty the Queen.

That said, most French Canadians are republicans and so I've been thinking recently on how to spread monarchist ideas to the French-Canadian population. Suddenly the idea of an unofficial linguistic monarchy came to mind.

Though I'm still in the process of formulating my ideas, I'll share what I have so far and would be open to any input you may have on the matter.

At the most basic level, any French Canadian individual or NGO could simply accept Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou, as Louis XX, the unofficial king of the French-speaking community and create an appropriate standard as an expression of his, her, or its monarchism accordingly.

Next up from that, the Parliament of Canada could adopt a resolution inviting the Duke to accept an unofficial title as the king of the French-speaking community in friendly relations with Her Majesty the Queen and maybe even propose an unofficial royal standard of the French-speaking community.

However unofficial or at least quasi-unofficial as the above may seem, I do believe that it could contribute to greater unity within the French-speaking community though a common monarch however unofficial his title may be.

That's about as far as I could see the French-speaking community adopting an unofficial or at least a quasi-unofficial monarch.

Should the French-speaking community wish to adopt an official or at least semi-official monarch, I could even see the Parliament of Canada adopting a resolution expressing its willingness to let the Province of Quebec invite the Duke of Anjou to reign over that province either personally or through a lieutenant governor that he would appoint to it. There exist historical precedents of a sub-national monarch reigning in harmony with the national monarch, so we can conceive of, for example, Louis XX reigning over the province of Quebec within a Canadian Federation over which Her Majesty the Queen would reign.

We would not be talking here of an unofficial monarch of a linguistic community anymore but rather the official monarch of all of the residents who reside within that province. However, this could reinforce the acceptance of Louis XX as the unofficial monarch of the French-speaking community outside of Quebec's jurisdictional boundaries.

I could even see an English twist to this. Imagine for example that US monarchists and NGOs decided to adopt Her Majesty the Queen as the unofficial monarch of the English-speaking community and decided to adopt different standards based on St. George's Cross as symbols of the English-speaking community. Maybe some linguistic monarchists even in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New-Zealand would adopt her as the unofficial monarch of the English-speaking community too (though for them she would be their official monarch too of course).

Even without an official status as such, her unofficial adoption as the Queen of the English-speaking community could contribute to the promotion of greater unity between different English-speaking peoples through a common unofficial monarch.

Since I'm still formulating my ideas on this matter, I'd like to know your thoughts on the idea of an unofficial monarch of a linguistic community.