Courtier

America does not need royalty.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
America does not need royalty.
As always when asked who I'd like to see running the country, my first and foremost choice is:

Felix the Cat. This country needs a magic bag o' tricks.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Courtier

With 50 separate states, I wish you luck.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

Certainly, we aren't going to have a king. I doubt that anyone seriously thinks we would want a monarchy. It's just a discussion of what might have been or could have been. But, we do need something to straighten out the mess.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Funny, I have a very close friend who was born and raised in Hawaii as were her parents. She has the opposite view that you have. You has enlightened me that may are never taught all the main lands history, correctly in Hawaii. You have no idea what you would be without your situation, today, nor do I. Other than a wonderful spot for vacationing, I cannot think of another thing you add. A king, is not quite the way you would imagine it to be. And how would it benefit your islands???? Who would protect you???? Part of alliances are protection. If you do not like your situation, form a party to succeed from our nation. I hate to tell you, but millions of visitors from here, the main land come every year and drop millions of dollars in your budget, what do you want?
While I love Hawai'i and being an American it is easier for me to travel there and not have to worry about customs, there is a part of me that believes that we did steal Hawai'i from the natives. Much as I would hate to see them secede from the US, I would support them doing so as long as the governing of Hawai'i is returned to Hawai'ian natives - not the people who were born there, but true Hawai'ians.

I am ashamed of what my government did to Hawai'i. We could have protected them through an alliance rather than forcibly, albeit peacefully, gain control of the islands, or Great Britain could have protected them. I fear had the Hawai'ian Islands not had protection, Japan or China would have invaded and taken over.

I don't think the true history of Hawai'i is taught on the mainland. Did you know that there is a small parcel of land on the Big Island, that is considered British land? It is where the monument to Captain Cook was erected and one can only get there by boat.

I encourage you to read Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen: Liliuokalani, it gives a great account of the history of Hawai'i and how white men stole Hawai'i.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Courtier

As far as I am concerned we should make the congress answer one question before anything is passed and that is, (How will this affect every person in the country?). They should be forced to look at all, from the poorest to the richest. Break the people into income levels, 1-20%, 21-40%, 41 to 60%, 61-80%, 81-100%. I know the number of people in each group would vary greatly, but they should have to consider all groups before passing any legislation. This ideology bent they are on at the present time is not working.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Grandma828: May I add that everything that they pass as law should apply to them as well. It seems incredible that they can pass laws, that apply to all of us, but not to them. And, please, why do they deserve reserved parking at the airports??? I think that many of the elected officials think that they are "royal".
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Members of Congress should be considered contract short term employees, thus they should have to pay for their own health care and they should not receive pensions. That is how the real world works.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Members of Congress should be considered contract short term employees, thus they should have to pay for their own health care and they should not receive pensions. That is how the real world works.
I like that idea!!!

I think our congress really needs term limits, and major campaign reform. I really do believe, though I cannot cite any sources, that lawmakers make too many deals with industry or extremely wealthy people. I just do not believe my vote counts for anything, though I still vote.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Courtier

I don't think America needs royals just longer term of the president. every 2 years they start the mess for campaigning, then after elections, complaining. 4 years go fast and not a lot gets fixed but they sure can ruin things in that time lol.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm actually enjoying reading this conversation.

I do agree that something should be done about Congress but I think that's up to us (the people) to change Congress. We express our rights to vote but we're voting for the same people who aren't doing their jobs but only looking out for themselves and their political careers. We should start paying attention to those who aren't listening to the American people and understanding their real issues and vote them out, instead of voting for them over and over again.

I'm not sure the answers to our problems is to officially install a Monarchy here in America but for the people of this country to straighten up and fly right and realize real change starts with us and not just the government.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Aristocracy

Royalty in the USA would be a disaster, imho.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Gentry

The United States was created as a Republic, so I think it should stay as a Republic. I think that when a country is rooted in a political system, the system shouldn't be changed. Evolved, yes, but not changed.

Likewise, the Monarchies should stay as Monarchies. And countries like Romania, France and Brazil should return to their original forms of government: Monarchy.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Royal View Post
The United States was created as a Republic, so I think it should stay as a Republic. I think that when a country is rooted in a political system, the system shouldn't be changed. Evolved, yes, but not changed.

Likewise, the Monarchies should stay as Monarchies. And countries like Romania, France and Brazil should return to their original forms of government: Monarchy.
Wasn't pretty much every country in the world a monarchy until the 18th-20th centuries, though? If you look at a map of Europe in 1900, every country was a monarchy except Switzerland and France, which had just become one in 1871 or so.

For "royalty would be a disaster in the US"- perhaps, but I'd be curious to see how royalty worked in the US pre-revolution. Did the UK royal family ever visit the US or have a representative there, like a Governor General? I assume not, but am curious.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Courtier

You have 'proto' royalty already.. The Kennedy's, the Bush's/Clintons... You do 'Dynasties', and seem to permanently reaching for something more long term...more 'meaningful'?
Dare i say 'less grubby' than a presidental system, bought and sold by the Corporations, [and lobbies] dressed up as democracy, and bogged down within a couple of years, by Congress or the prospect of the next election..?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM

It would be interesting to have a monarchy here
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 AM

Here is my thoughts on royalty. I live in the US and yes, we do exalt political figures and often those figures are not warranted of their honor. Every year our constitution seems to crumble. Were there people taught to rule a nation with diplomacy, tact, heart, care and understanding, as many queens and kings have been educated to do, I think our country would not be in the mess it is in. Anyone can be president here. You don't need to know how to negotiate, you don't need to travel and understand how the people of the nation live throughout the country, you don't need to understand how to better the economy or the health of a nation. All you need to do here is know how to get votes. It's become a racket, and a very spiteful one. Promises are made and seldom kept. I would love to see the dignity of a monarchy rule, but I don't think it will ever happen. I hope I don't sound bitter. I know monarchs have had their share of foul play as well and no one system is perfect. Still, there is elegance, art and culture behind a royal family. That's just one opinion and I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm ranting. I love America and its roots.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Nobility

How about an elective monarchy?

I have, for a long time, thought what it would be like if Poland became an elective monarchy again. The head of state and his or her spouse would be king and queen for life, and the new king or queen would be elected following the death of the incumbent. The king-elect or queen-elect would only become lawful monarch upon coronation. Children of the monarch would bear no titles. This would be entirely in line with the Henrician Articles and the history of Poland. What I haven't figured out yet is who would be eligible for election, but I've got time to fantasize
Old 04-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Interesting.

Presuming you are not jesting:
If you are to have a politically-neutral crowned head of state, why not an American, rather than QEII?
Especially as that would mean that your head of state is a foreigner.
Also, an ever increasing segment of the American population do not have Anglo-Saxon roots, in fact many of them left for America to get away from the British crown. - And other totalitarian monarchies at the time.
On top of that you would have a sovereign that will only visit USA occasionally.

What would be the constitutional role of an American monarch?
Where should the residence of the American monach be located?

Tags
monarchist, politics, royal, royalist tea party, united states