The United States and Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CasualFan, you are correct about amending the Constitution. It's been a long time since I studied government.

I do like the UK system of the Prime Minister's party having the majority of Parliament or a coalition. That solves the gridlock problem that we have had for several years..

CasualFan, you are correct about amending the Constitution. It's been a long time since I studied government.

I do like the UK system of the Prime Minister's party having the majority of Parliament or a coalition. That solves the gridlock problem that we have had for several years..

That is right and that is really what I was referring to in my previous post. It seems that in recent years you've had the worst outcome imaginable. To an outsider it looks like a president has no power at home; maybe that's why presidents get involved in politics overseas.

But the main reason in many ways for US "gridlock" and the UK "coalition is that main political parties now all claim the middle groups which is where the majority of the population sit.

Im sorry you think that my response was silly COUNTESS. I was making a comment about having a monarch or not. If the monarchy of Hawaii had not been overthrown we would probably srill have one and in my opinion, which I am allowed to have, the people would be in a much better place than they are now. Hawaiis monarchs were always concerned about the welfare of the people and not about financial or material gain. The Hawaiian monarchs always had the power to decide what was best for the people and did not rely on others to tell them what to do until the westerners came along and imposed their views on how a kingdom should be run. Unfortunately the last King was forced to give power to a group of wealthy and greedy missionary men he had appointed to his privy councel and it was done through gunpoint. In the end after he died his sister became Queen for a short time and those same westerners who supposedly came here to do good ended up forcing her to abdicate and imprisoning her through force by use of the American military and then proceeded to name a president to take over who happened to be a missionary decendent and the U.S. took over. If that had not happened and the kingdom had stayed in tact, iy would be a far better place considering the monarchy had a very civil and honourable way of doing things. By the way, did you know that at the time of the last few monarchs of Hawaii they took the lead of the United Kingdom? No, Im sure you didnt. The way they had progressed from being, as they were called, heathens, to the point of being very much English in manner and dress was amazing. Did you also know that Queen Victoria was the Godmother of our little Prince Albert who only lived to four years of age? And did you also know that Hawaii kept the union jack as part of our flag because they felt a closeness to the United Kingdom? A little less sarcasm would be nice since obviously you do not know how Hawaii was back then and how it is now besides swaying palms and hula dancers. Believe it or not, alot of us can only wish we had our King again knowing how it would benefit our little islands in the midlle of the ocean. A president does nothing for us and quite frankly, this one who happens to have been born and raised here can do nothing for us. I really dont think that Im being silly, do you?

Funny, I have a very close friend who was born and raised in Hawaii as were her parents. She has the opposite view that you have. You has enlightened me that may are never taught all the main lands history, correctly in Hawaii. You have no idea what you would be without your situation, today, nor do I. Other than a wonderful spot for vacationing, I cannot think of another thing you add. A king, is not quite the way you would imagine it to be. And how would it benefit your islands???? Who would protect you???? Part of alliances are protection. If you do not like your situation, form a party to succeed from our nation. I hate to tell you, but millions of visitors from here, the main land come every year and drop millions of dollars in your budget, what do you want?

America does not need royalty.

As always when asked who I'd like to see running the country, my first and foremost choice is:

Felix the Cat. This country needs a magic bag o' tricks.

Certainly, we aren't going to have a king. I doubt that anyone seriously thinks we would want a monarchy. It's just a discussion of what might have been or could have been. But, we do need something to straighten out the mess.

Funny, I have a very close friend who was born and raised in Hawaii as were her parents. She has the opposite view that you have. You has enlightened me that may are never taught all the main lands history, correctly in Hawaii. You have no idea what you would be without your situation, today, nor do I. Other than a wonderful spot for vacationing, I cannot think of another thing you add. A king, is not quite the way you would imagine it to be. And how would it benefit your islands???? Who would protect you???? Part of alliances are protection. If you do not like your situation, form a party to succeed from our nation. I hate to tell you, but millions of visitors from here, the main land come every year and drop millions of dollars in your budget, what do you want?

While I love Hawai'i and being an American it is easier for me to travel there and not have to worry about customs, there is a part of me that believes that we did steal Hawai'i from the natives. Much as I would hate to see them secede from the US, I would support them doing so as long as the governing of Hawai'i is returned to Hawai'ian natives - not the people who were born there, but true Hawai'ians.

I am ashamed of what my government did to Hawai'i. We could have protected them through an alliance rather than forcibly, albeit peacefully, gain control of the islands, or Great Britain could have protected them. I fear had the Hawai'ian Islands not had protection, Japan or China would have invaded and taken over.

I don't think the true history of Hawai'i is taught on the mainland. Did you know that there is a small parcel of land on the Big Island, that is considered British land? It is where the monument to Captain Cook was erected and one can only get there by boat.

I encourage you to read Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen: Liliuokalani, it gives a great account of the history of Hawai'i and how white men stole Hawai'i.

As far as I am concerned we should make the congress answer one question before anything is passed and that is, (How will this affect every person in the country?). They should be forced to look at all, from the poorest to the richest. Break the people into income levels, 1-20%, 21-40%, 41 to 60%, 61-80%, 81-100%. I know the number of people in each group would vary greatly, but they should have to consider all groups before passing any legislation. This ideology bent they are on at the present time is not working.

Grandma828: May I add that everything that they pass as law should apply to them as well. It seems incredible that they can pass laws, that apply to all of us, but not to them. And, please, why do they deserve reserved parking at the airports??? I think that many of the elected officials think that they are "royal".

Members of Congress should be considered contract short term employees, thus they should have to pay for their own health care and they should not receive pensions. That is how the real world works.

Members of Congress should be considered contract short term employees, thus they should have to pay for their own health care and they should not receive pensions. That is how the real world works.

I like that idea!!!

I think our congress really needs term limits, and major campaign reform. I really do believe, though I cannot cite any sources, that lawmakers make too many deals with industry or extremely wealthy people. I just do not believe my vote counts for anything, though I still vote.

I don't think America needs royals just longer term of the president. every 2 years they start the mess for campaigning, then after elections, complaining. 4 years go fast and not a lot gets fixed but they sure can ruin things in that time lol.

I'm actually enjoying reading this conversation.

I do agree that something should be done about Congress but I think that's up to us (the people) to change Congress. We express our rights to vote but we're voting for the same people who aren't doing their jobs but only looking out for themselves and their political careers. We should start paying attention to those who aren't listening to the American people and understanding their real issues and vote them out, instead of voting for them over and over again.

I'm not sure the answers to our problems is to officially install a Monarchy here in America but for the people of this country to straighten up and fly right and realize real change starts with us and not just the government.

Royalty in the USA would be a disaster, imho.

The United States was created as a Republic, so I think it should stay as a Republic. I think that when a country is rooted in a political system, the system shouldn't be changed. Evolved, yes, but not changed.

Likewise, the Monarchies should stay as Monarchies. And countries like Romania, France and Brazil should return to their original forms of government: Monarchy.

The United States was created as a Republic, so I think it should stay as a Republic. I think that when a country is rooted in a political system, the system shouldn't be changed. Evolved, yes, but not changed.

Likewise, the Monarchies should stay as Monarchies. And countries like Romania, France and Brazil should return to their original forms of government: Monarchy.

Wasn't pretty much every country in the world a monarchy until the 18th-20th centuries, though? If you look at a map of Europe in 1900, every country was a monarchy except Switzerland and France, which had just become one in 1871 or so.

For "royalty would be a disaster in the US"- perhaps, but I'd be curious to see how royalty worked in the US pre-revolution. Did the UK royal family ever visit the US or have a representative there, like a Governor General? I assume not, but am curious.

You have 'proto' royalty already.. The Kennedy's, the Bush's/Clintons... You do 'Dynasties', and seem to permanently reaching for something more long term...more 'meaningful'?
Dare i say 'less grubby' than a presidental system, bought and sold by the Corporations, [and lobbies] dressed up as democracy, and bogged down within a couple of years, by Congress or the prospect of the next election..?

Last edited:
Here is my thoughts on royalty. I live in the US and yes, we do exalt political figures and often those figures are not warranted of their honor. Every year our constitution seems to crumble. Were there people taught to rule a nation with diplomacy, tact, heart, care and understanding, as many queens and kings have been educated to do, I think our country would not be in the mess it is in. Anyone can be president here. You don't need to know how to negotiate, you don't need to travel and understand how the people of the nation live throughout the country, you don't need to understand how to better the economy or the health of a nation. All you need to do here is know how to get votes. It's become a racket, and a very spiteful one. Promises are made and seldom kept. I would love to see the dignity of a monarchy rule, but I don't think it will ever happen. I hope I don't sound bitter. I know monarchs have had their share of foul play as well and no one system is perfect. Still, there is elegance, art and culture behind a royal family. That's just one opinion and I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm ranting. I love America and its roots.

How about an elective monarchy? :D

I have, for a long time, thought what it would be like if Poland became an elective monarchy again. The head of state and his or her spouse would be king and queen for life, and the new king or queen would be elected following the death of the incumbent. The king-elect or queen-elect would only become lawful monarch upon coronation. Children of the monarch would bear no titles. This would be entirely in line with the Henrician Articles and the history of Poland. What I haven't figured out yet is who would be eligible for election, but I've got time to fantasize :D

Interesting.

Presuming you are not jesting:
If you are to have a politically-neutral crowned head of state, why not an American, rather than QEII?
Especially as that would mean that your head of state is a foreigner.
Also, an ever increasing segment of the American population do not have Anglo-Saxon roots, in fact many of them left for America to get away from the British crown. - And other totalitarian monarchies at the time.
On top of that you would have a sovereign that will only visit USA occasionally.

What would be the constitutional role of an American monarch?
Where should the residence of the American monach be located?

:ermm:Very interesting thread here...........Even though I am a royalist and that is all because of my love of ancient history, anthropology and the study of religion, it would not work in the US. Why, first of all this country fought for it's independence from the British Nation and the system that they have there. If this country from the very beginning had a royal family living here and it continued into today's life like so many in Europe have, then it would be accepted by the people. To start out today and try to change our government to a royal family, well, the American people would never stand for it, it is not something that is ingrained into our minds and spirit, it's not our history. When I have traveled to London and around different countries in Europe, I love the history and read lots of books about where I am going.........I want to see the places and the museums and all that encompasses their history. We don't really have the history nor the length of time that Europe and the rest of the world has, this country is a baby yet trying to find it's way. In Denmark alone, I read somewhere (can't remember which book) that the Queen today can trace her family history back 900 years....my goodness........we aren't anywhere even near that in age. We just don't have that type of history and besides Americans today are very independent in spirit..........

There is so much wrong right now in our government and the unrest has started, if things don't change and our government doesn't listen to the people, then it will get worse here. One thing I do know for sure in reading history that*all nations, kingdoms, empires and world powers do fall down to dust and decay simply because the ones in power forget the people that put them in power*, it seems only the British Empire to a certain degree still has some of their territory such as Canada and etc. The Netherlands has some territory in the Caribbean and what else I really don't remember at this point.

It will never happen here, and that is one word I don't use lightly, *never*!

Besides look at the different types of people from around the world that come here on a daily basis trying to get away from civil unrest, and corrupt governments not knowing that all isn't well here either.

I am an American and not ashamed to be a royalist because of my love of history as taught me that having a monarchy is not all bad, as long as it helps, defends, and supports the entire people, not just the wealthy and rich and privileged. I am for all of the people as a whole, and yet I still think a monarchy is okay if it works for all of the people.

Another point is location, Europe is divided, most countries aren't the size of this country, there are many different cultures, monies, holidays, religions just to name a few differences, here, it's like we are almost one and the same as I can go to any state and find the same thing here where I live, no difference. I wonder if there is any place in Europe that sells my coffee, Kona coffee from Hawaii and believe me that is all I drink in the way of coffee, I never buy coffee from any store or place that sells it, it's always made fresh here at home...........when I travel I take my coffee pot and grounds and make it.......just picky I guess about coffee. Sorry if this is too long, I shut up now!

I for one think my country is doing just fine without a monarchy. We should continue going forward not backwards.

No. It would never be tolerated here. It's not needed anyway.

LaRae

No. We got rid of that problem in 1776. And we neither need it nor want it.

I thought we had an incipient monarchy spread among the Bushes and Clintons. They are saying Jeb Bush might run, and of course Hillary Clinton might run, and Hillary Clinton's daughter Chelsea is active in support of her mother. We were heading for a possible Kennedy monarchy but sadly one by one the heirs were killed. There isn't a strong heir now, but Jack Kennedy's grandson John Kennedy Schlossberg is now in college and is said to be strongly interested in running for President some day. If I were a Kennedy I would not run, considering the past problems.

I think it would be an interesting change but America wouldn't go for it. I do think of our First Family as our own royal family that's limited to 4 to 8 years.

I think the American people honor our ties and history with the British royal family though. We help celebrate their celebrations, pay our respects in times of sorrows and hold on to hope for the future of the Monarchy. We're also crazy about Elizabeth II and give and her family a very warm welcome whenever they come and officially visit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom