The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Courtier

We do have a Royal Family... they are The Kennedy's and Bush's lol

Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I always think our First Family as America's royal family. Only on a 4 year term.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Depending on the region, the USA has multiple ruling families/clans. The families in question are far more powerful than the Kennedys. The Bushes are said to be just well-connected.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
You forgot the Clinton's.

LaRae
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Depends what you mean by 'royal', I guess. I would disagree about the Kennedys per se. There are political families that dominate for a while but they pass on. In that sense, there were the Adamses, the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, the Bushes, and (maybe) the Clintons.

I agree, Dman. The current First Family is about as close as we come to 'royalty', if one thinks politically and as celebrity, but there are accomplished families that influence in other ways, too numerous to mention.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Commoner

Because of the absolutely mad 2016 election cycle. I wonder if Americans may warm to the idea of bringing back the British Monarchy like the cousins up north? Then America could become more united than divided. I've always believed the head of state is too much of an important position to be elected! That is why America is so polarised!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

We by nature tend to enjoy our lack of unity. We also enjoy poking at our political leadership. And we are not very fond of anyone who gets born into blessings. Unless we are the ones so blessed. JMO. So, no King or Queen for unity for us.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G View Post
Because of the absolutely mad 2016 election cycle. I wonder if Americans may warm to the idea of bringing back the British Monarchy like the cousins up north? Then America could become more united than divided. I've always believed the head of state is too much of an important position to be elected! That is why America is so polarised!
No. (Unless you want to argue Americans would become united in their abhorrence of a hereditary head of state - then yes, you might be onto something.)

The reasons why America is so polarized is far, far more complicated. You might want to start with banning 24-hour for-profit "news" agencies - all of them. Among other things.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We by nature tend to enjoy our lack of unity. We also enjoy poking at our political leadership. And we are not very fond of anyone who gets born into blessings. Unless we are the ones so blessed. JMO. So, no King or Queen for unity for us.
True indeed.

I do admire how the British people have so much love and respect for their Head of State, The Queen. What bothers me is that we have very little love and respect for our Presidents. We vote our presidents in, but never say thank you for their service and sacrifice. We love knocking them around when they get something wrong, but never acknowledge their successful accomplishments. Once their out of office, we seem to be okay for them to disappear. Only we they get sick and die is when we reflect on them.

I think we could learn a lot from the British people on how to treat our Head of State. Also, what this country need is unity. I think we're so busy disrespecting our presidents that, when they try to unify us, we ignore their efforts.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Commoner

But your Head of State cannot represent the whole nation! But I understand your position!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is not making the decisions for the government. So she gets all of the good patriotic feels and the PM of the day gets the hate and anger for their decisions. The US President is highly involved with the decisions of the government. So there is going to be a large number of people who disagree with the President and voice that disagreement.

Up until the late 1960s, the press helped protect the president from scandal. Wilson had a major stroke in office and the country was run by Mrs Wilson instead of the VP, FDR had his paralysis covered up, JFK and others their affairs with women etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
True indeed.

I do admire how the British people have so much love and respect for their Head of State, The Queen. What bothers me is that we have very little love and respect for our Presidents. We vote our presidents in, but never say thank you for their service and sacrifice. We love knocking them around when they get something wrong, but never acknowledge their successful accomplishments. Once their out of office, we seem to be okay for them to disappear. Only we they get sick and die is when we reflect on them.

I think we could learn a lot from the British people on how to treat our Head of State. Also, what this country need is unity. I think we're so busy disrespecting our presidents that, when they try to unify us, we ignore their efforts.
The issue is our head of state is also our head of government. Compare the role of the British monarch to that of the American President. I wonder what the people of Britain would think of the Queen if she nominated court justices and ambassadors, issued executive orders (some of them carrying the nation into war), negotiated treaties, vetoed legislation... they are such completely different roles you can't expect one to be treated like the other.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Can I just ask: even if the USofA would want to become a monarchy...why would they want the *British* Monarch to be their monarch?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Can I just ask: even if the USofA would want to become a monarchy...why would they want the *British* Monarch to be their monarch?
While there is almost zero chance that the US would ever become a monarchy, I'd be fine with having a Canadian-style system, with Queen Elizabeth as head of state if a monarchy were established.

We'd need a royal family that is neither Democratic nor Republican. Nearly everyone in the US leans towards one of the two parties, so it would be tough to find someone in the US who is absolutely neutral.

However, this is all silly. The US would not become a monarchy, and if it did, it would certainly not import a foreign monarch.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

What I'm saying is that we show very little respect for our Presidents. I know The Queen is above politics, but her people pay attention when she unify her nation. When she offers words of advice and comfort, her people embrace it.

We treat our presidents like crap. Never give them credit for anything, but quick to shower them with blame when things go wrong or when we don't understand the situation.

I've been totally blown away by the celebrations in The Queen's honor during her Jubilee's, Coronation Anniversaries and Birthday Celebrations. The Monarch has love, respect, admiration and thanks poured on her. The Queen can die knowing all her years of duty and sacrifice was widely appreciated.

It's totally different here. Perhaps we should have a Head of State and family that's above politics. I'm completely open to a change.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
The issue is our head of state is also our head of government. Compare the role of the British monarch to that of the American President. I wonder what the people of Britain would think of the Queen if she nominated court justices and ambassadors, issued executive orders (some of them carrying the nation into war), negotiated treaties, vetoed legislation... they are such completely different roles you can't expect one to be treated like the other.
Exactly. The Queen is (almost) universally respected and admired because she doesn't make any government decisions and, therefore, is above political controversy. The prime minister, on the other hand, is praised by those who side with his/her policies and loathed by those who oppose them, just like a US president.

The good thing about separating the roles of head of government and head of state is precisely that the ceremonial representation of the state is not tainted by partisan politics. Furthermore, you don't need a monarchy to enable that separation. Germany does it for example within a republican system of government.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Commoner

Good to hear some people are open to the idea! But one isn't really 'importing' the monarch if we have a shared history. If the US remained loyal, and was a commonwealth country today like Canada. The Queen would be Queen of the USA!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
What can the UK monarchy offer to the former colony besides the ephemeral unity? I mean tangible benefits of returning to the Commonwealth. The unity within the United Kingdom has cracks as it was proved by the 2014 Scottish referendum and the 2016 Brexit.

I do not think that the 2016 election cycle is more vicious than the previous ones.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
What can the UK monarchy offer to the former colony besides the ephemeral unity? I mean tangible benefits of returning to the Commonwealth. The unity within the United Kingdom has cracks as it was proved by the 2014 Scottish referendum and the 2016 Brexit.

I do not think that the 2016 election cycle is more vicious than the previous ones.
Being a member of the Commonwealth is no longer tied to having the Queen as Head of State. In fact, there are, I believe, 53 countries in the Commonwealth, of which only 16 are realms that have Elizabeth II as HoS.

In other words, technically speaking, nothing prevents the US from applying for Commonwealth membership if it wishes to do so. It would be just another international organization of which the US is a member, like NATO, the OAS, or the UN.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Majesty

The Commonwealth is the former territories of the British Empire. Still the question "What can the UK monarchy offer to the former colony besides the ephemeral unity?" stands.

Tags
monarchist, politics, royal, royalist tea party, united states