The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 13
Should all names be Anglicized?

I don't know about you, but I've been having a bit of a mini-controversy between my royalist friends and myself over whether to anglicize royal names. They had no idea who I was talking about when I brought up John Charles of Spain. I always anglicize, since it makes it easier to compare monarchs with different names in different countries, like HRE Charles V, who was also Karl, Carl and Carlos. Is it more appropriate to use their name as is, or can we anglicize it?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,961
I'm not a fan of anglicizing royal names. It always annoys me when people call the Russian rulers by English names (Peter II the Great, Catherine II the Great, Nicholas I, Nicholas II, etc). I think the names should be kept authentic, because the person is not English, but Russian (or whatever country we're talking about). I guess I'm used to saying 'Juan Carlos' when talking about the Spanish monarch, so I would keep the name as it were. I remember when I still lived in Russia, the reporters referred to Elizabeth II as 'Elizaveta II', and it confused the daylight out of me. I kept thinking that Her Majesty was Russian, rather than English. And I still get annoyed with the Russian news when they refer to the Duchess of Cambridge as 'Yekaterina' rather than 'Catherine' (at least that's how my grandmother calls her, and when I asked where she got the russified version, she told me 'on the Russian television station').
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'm not a fan of anglicizing royal names. It always annoys me when people call the Russian rulers by English names (Peter II the Great, Catherine II the Great, Nicholas I, Nicholas II, etc). I think the names should be kept authentic, because the person is not English, but Russian (or whatever country we're talking about). I guess I'm used to saying 'Juan Carlos' when talking about the Spanish monarch, so I would keep the name as it were. I remember when I still lived in Russia, the reporters referred to Elizabeth II as 'Elizaveta II', and it confused the daylight out of me. I kept thinking that Her Majesty was Russian, rather than English. And I still get annoyed with the Russian news when they refer to the Duchess of Cambridge as 'Yekaterina' rather than 'Catherine' (at least that's how my grandmother calls her, and when I asked where she got the russified version, she told me 'on the Russian television station').
But what about the Charles V example? People would assume Karl V, Carlos I, etc to be different people wouldn't they?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer11220 View Post
But what about the Charles V example? People would assume Karl V, Carlos I, etc to be different people wouldn't they?
Honestly? I haven't got the foggiest clue . I've never heard of Charles being referred to by any other name rather than 'Charles' (probably because there was no equivalent for his name in Russian). The only time I've heard anyone call him 'Carlos' was in my sophomore Spanish class, when we were discussing the British Royals (it was after Diana's passing). I think in that case, I knew whom the teacher was talking about, because there was a contextual clue. However, I can see where some confusion can take place.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Honestly? I haven't got the foggiest clue . I've never heard of Charles being referred to by any other name rather than 'Charles' (probably because there was no equivalent for his name in Russian). The only time I've heard anyone call him 'Carlos' was in my sophomore Spanish class, when we were discussing the British Royals (it was after Diana's passing). I think in that case, I knew whom the teacher was talking about, because there was a contextual clue. However, I can see where some confusion can take place.
There's actually a great Spanish candy bar called Carlos V, named after him; it'd be weird if they sold it as Karl I. BTW, the candy has him as "El Rey de los Chocolates". I guess that's another title for him
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer11220 View Post
There's actually a great Spanish candy bar called Carlos V, named after him; it'd be weird if they sold it as Karl I. BTW, the candy has him as "El Rey de los Chocolates". I guess that's another title for him
That's priceless . Makes me wonder if HM enjoys chocolate.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Iva's Avatar
Iva Iva is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: -, Slovakia
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer11220 View Post
I don't know about you, but I've been having a bit of a mini-controversy between my royalist friends and myself over whether to anglicize royal names. They had no idea who I was talking about when I brought up John Charles of Spain. I always anglicize, since it makes it easier to compare monarchs with different names in different countries, like HRE Charles V, who was also Karl, Carl and Carlos. Is it more appropriate to use their name as is, or can we anglicize it?
I'm against anglicizeing royal names, well I'm actually against translating names into any language. It's Juan Carlos not John Charles, Mikhail and not Michael, people should be IMO called what they were named whether they are royal or not as the name also the reference to their heritage and that should be absolutely kept.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,056
Yes,but I've observed that Spanish media call prince William"Guillermo".while the French call princess Grace differently ,with the French equivalent word.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,092
I am also against anglicizeing royal names, they were given their name for a specific reason. Like Princess Isabella of Denmark, I wouldn't change it to Princess Elizabeth or Juan Carlos or John Carlos.

I also dislike it when people spell names wrong, like spelling CP Frederik of Denmark with an extra C 'Frederick'. Or changing Wilhelm to William - two different names.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,372
I think though it also depends a bit on the name and its general usage in the language e.g. Juan Carlos is always referred to as Juan Carlos but Nicholas II is never called anything else in the English speaking world so the normal usage is what should be used to aid communication - after all it is no use referring to someone by a name that people don't recognise.

Calling Juan Carlos John Charles for instance had me scratching my head as to whom was meant but if someone used a Russian name for Nicholas II I would again be scratching my head as every history I have ever read, and every documentary I have seen always call him Nicholas II (because they are only in English - sorry but I only speak one language and the two I have tried to learn - French and Italian were both just too hard for me - I admire anyone who can learn a foreign language as it is a skill I simply can't do - I can't even manage the swear words in Arabic/Vietnamese that I hear every day at work).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 378
With anglisized names (or germanised) I get totaly confused .. there would be to many Karl II .... I very much prefer the names to be the *original* once .. than it is clear of which country one speaks and doesnt get confused to much ..

Think of the horror of all those french Louis to confuse with all the german "ludwigs" ... too bad that in wikipedia they take that for standart ....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
With anglisized names (or germanised) I get totaly confused .. there would be to many Karl II .... I very much prefer the names to be the *original* once .. than it is clear of which country one speaks and doesnt get confused to much ..

Think of the horror of all those french Louis to confuse with all the german "ludwigs" ... too bad that in wikipedia they take that for standart ....

For me there is no problem because the books I use use Louis and Ludwig - they don't use the Russian names without Anglicising probably because they also have to transliterate the name from Cyrillic so may as well Anglicise the name while names with the same alphabet they use the name the same - of course I see William II a lot for the Kaiser as well as Wilhelm.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
This may be a simplistic answer, but this is an English-speaking forum.
There are translation facilities all over the web.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Even if this is an English-speaking forum many of the members are from countries that are not English-speaking. It's true that in some of those countries royal names are transcribed to their equivalent in the native tongue, but not in all countries, for example that is not done in Sweden. If the names was to be anglicized here at least I would be very confused about whom the royals were and I would loose the interest for this forum.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
So, would this mean that we can only refer to William as Guglielmo or Guillaume ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
So, would this mean that we can only refer to William as Guglielmo or Guillaume ?
No, I mean that the names the royals have in their own countries should be used, for example William, Duke of Cambridge, Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange and Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and not use William for all three of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I've never heard of Charles being referred to by any other name rather than 'Charles' (probably because there was no equivalent for his name in Russian).
There is: Карл (Karl)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,056
Yes,the name "Karl" is more known due to historical reasons,but there is no purely Russian equivalent for it,as "Karl" has German roots,while we have for example equivalents for names "John"(Ivan) or "Andrew"(Andrei)etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Yes,the name "Karl" is more known due to historical reasons,but there is no purely Russian equivalent for it,as "Karl" has German roots,while we have for example equivalents for names "John"(Ivan) or "Andrew"(Andrei)etc.
Nor for my Russian patronym / Olga Genrikhovna
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, United States
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
No, I mean that the names the royals have in their own countries should be used, for example William, Duke of Cambridge, Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange and Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg and not use William for all three of them.
In any case, I just realized I'm breaking my own rule: I always call the dual monarchs of Castile and Aragon Ferdinand and Isabella, not Ferdinand and Elizabeth. Something about a Spanish queen named Elizabeth doesn't sound right to me. I imagine it would be harder for women, since they'd marry into a (possibly) foreign-speaking court where their name would have to be translated. The last Czarina of Russia is a perfect example; she was named after her mother (Alice of Great Britain) but was from Hesse, where there is no German word for Alice. So they spelled it like it sounds: Alix. When she married, they Christianized the name, as usual in Russian royal marriages, this time to Alexandra. So a woman born with one name now can go by three! Its too confusing...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Naming Customs of British Royalty, Regnal Name and Numeration Queen Marie British Royals 156 11-28-2012 12:13 AM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman palace pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince joachim prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]