Royal Wedding Rings - Left Or Right Hand?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

We Finns wear both the engagement and the wedding ring in our left hand, at the ring finger.

I don't wear rings because of allergies, but the ring is only a symbol anyway. You are just as married whether you wear it or not, so what does it matter?

In Sweden most (all?) people wear their rings, both engagement and wedding on the left hand. Queen Silvia wears hers on the left hand. The King doesn't wear a wedding ring.

In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.

Not true for all catholics in the US. It depends where they come from. My parents were married in the catholic church and wore theirs on their right hands because they are Polish. Not all Polish people in the US do this but those there were born in Poland usually do.

It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

Except in some countries the tradition is based on religion with catholics wearing rings on one hand and protestants on the other.

Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.

In some countries, yes. It's not a rule but the traditions in some places are based on your religion.

Last edited:
Wedding ring - right hand or left hand?

I wear a white gold chain and one of 18ct diamond rings.

There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

This is what I heard as well.

All arteries goes from the heart out to every part of the body, and all veins goes from every part of the body to the heart. Before people were aware of how the blood circulates in the body, there was an belief that there was a special vein, vena amoris (vein of love) that connected the fourth finger of the left hand with the heart. Here you can read more about on what finger people wear their wedding ring: Your Wedding Ring…Left or Right Hand? « Greek Weddings and Traditions

Americans generally wear both rings on the left ring finger. I was told by my mother to wear my engagement ring on my right ring finger during the wedding ceremony so that the wedding ring goes onto the bare left finger as part of the ceremony, and then afterwards you switch the engagement ring to be worn above the wedding ring on the left. But some people leave the engagement ring below and add the wedding ring on top on the left. And some don't have an engagement ring.
Some widows switch the rings to the right hand, some stop wearing them. My mother has been widowed for six years but still wears her rings on the left. But she is 85 and doesn't want to change.
My best friend has been married 34 years and doesn't wear any kind of wedding ring.

I wore my wedding ring on my right hand (german tradition), but it was uncomfortable (as I'm righthanded) with handshaking and some doorhandles scratched etc so I transferred it to my left hand - which fits in nicely with Swiss tradition *grin* ...

My father wore his wedding band on the little finger together with his Siegel-Ring (probably on his right hand - but I would have to check on fotos).

I prefer a plain small wedding ring - so it is comfortable and wearable, I never take mine off.

In the US, most people wear both on their left hands.

I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one?

I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.

I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one?

I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.
You're not the only old fashioned one here. I too am a believer in wedding rings, for both men and women. If my husband leaves home without his he gets "the look" from me. For me it's an outward symbol of a promise I made to my husband and he to me.

You're not the only old fashioned one here. I too am a believer in wedding rings, for both men and women. If my husband leaves home without his he gets "the look" from me. For me it's an outward symbol of a promise I made to my husband and he to me.

I think it varies from person to person. I know somebody who finds it difficult to wear a ring as his fingers swell up sporadically. I think it really is not significant, in this day and age.

My grandad wore a wedding ring and he married in 1917! I still have it - it's tiny and only fits on my little finger.

I told my husband that if he did not want a wedding he did not have to have one. It's only a symbol, I care more about what is in his heart. He wanted one and I was okay with that too.

My mom doesn't wear hers anymore because her finger has gotten "too fat". My dad still wears his; it used to have a small diamond in the centre but it fell out. On his right pinky is his iron ring that all engineers get when they graduate, which was 35 years ago for him.

I remember that my husband brought from his trip to Brazil an emerald ring and I took it as engagement ring and I place it in the right hand because fit me better, when we married in England I put it in the same hand, he didn't want a wedding ring, because he thinks they look like a curtain ring, he doesn't like to use rings, so I did not insist I thought it was ok because he got me the ring and married me! after a few years he brought me from other trip a diamond stone and I have a ring made with that stone for the left hand. and I took it as a wedding ring too, as he doesn't want to use one , I use 2 rings in both hands for both of us!

I remember that my husband brought from his trip to Brazil an emerald ring and I took it as engagement ring and I place it in the right hand because fit me better, when we married in England I put it in the same hand, he didn't want a wedding ring, because he thinks they look like a curtain ring, he doesn't like to use rings, so I did not insist I thought it was ok because he got me the ring and married me! after a few years he brought me from other trip a diamond stone and I have a ring made with that stone for the left hand. and I took it as a wedding ring too, as he doesn't want to use one , I use 2 rings in both hands for both of us!

Beautiful story and with so much sentiment!

I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one? I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.
Men wearing wedding rings is not very old-fashioned. It's a relatively new tradition (since the early 20th century).

Men wearing wedding rings is not very old-fashioned. It's a relatively new tradition (since the early 20th century).

For centuries its been that a wife was "under" or as an ownership of the man. Its how it was. It is actually a sanctioned part of a lot of religions. The man takes a bride and its like taking ownership of the female.

As a fact, my avatar of a claddagh ring is something that was traditionally handed down from mother to daughter so I was told when my mom gave me mine from Galway. Men never ever thought of wearing them until the last part of the 20th century. This information I gleaned from talking to a friend from North Ireland. He got the ring from his mother. Now the claddagh is used widely as wedding rings and I do think most use it for its symbolism and not the historical agenda that comes with it. Its how times change and the traditions are blurred and absorbed.

Men and rings are the same. Its personal. For all we know, Wills wears a ring um.. somewhere else. The one that matters to us is that it does appear that her ring is around his heart.

Kate's dad Mike doesn't appear to wear a wedding ring either. It probably wasn't a big deal for her. Plus when a billion people watched your wedding on tv, you can't really play the take off your wedding ring and act like a single guy card.

I suppose it depends on the individual and what they believe. I dont remember my father ever wearing a ring although my mom did. Kind of strange I guess. I guess if people are comfortable with not wearing a ring then so be it. A ring to me is the symbol of an oath or a promise made between two people, in front of friends and family and in the site of God, to be faithful and to respect and honour eachother for the rest of your lives. I have always seen the ring as a very important part of marriage even though it may seem trivial and silly to some. I was hoping that when William married he was going to have a ring and I was rather surprised he didnt considering they are such a modern couple. But, again, to each his own.

Last edited:
I married back in the 1950's and my husband has a wedding ring, but he worked in a factory and could not wear it to work. As long as they act married it doesn't really matter. It is a lovely symbol, but action speak louder than words.

Oh what a nice husband! There is something rather romantic about being bought a precious stone from far away and having it made into a ring, with such sentiment and importance!

You are correct and it was mostly a Christian tradition which was then incorporated into the service in the Book Of Common Prayers. Prior to that any piece of jewelry was given to a bride by groom {Brooch, earrings, necklace} just to mark the event. The bride would have a dowry given to the groom's parents from the bride's parents. That event was much more important in the marriage years ago. The larger the dowry, the better the standing in society. Actually hate that awful tradition. It was like the bride's father had to "pay" for someone to take his daughter off his hands! That was very common right up to the 1850. Today it has been updated where the bride's parents provide a "reception" for friends and relatives who all brings gifts and checks to new couple replacing the dowry.

There was a wonderful book on this subject titled "Courtships, Then and Now" which is probably still in large libraries.

My father refused to wear a wedding band {thought only signet ring was a proper piece of jewelry for men} but it did not affect their happy marriage since it lasted 67 years before his passing. Mother would interchange many rings on all her fingers through the years.

Actually it comes down to the fact that it is your life and your marriage. Do whatever is comfortable for the both of you and not what someone else thinks you should do.

Back
Top Bottom