The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Royal tragedies

the recent news of maxima's sister's death by suicide made me think that royals really are, after all, just people and that no amount of power can spare you from horrific things happening to you and your loved ones. i was young when diana's death occurred, but i imagine a lot of people will remember that. were there any royal tragedies that stayed in your head throughout these years?

for me, i add letizia's sister's death by suicide some years back. i remember it being on the front pages of the newspapers, and seeing letizia, who is very composed, stern and planned, crying. i thought the accident that friso suffered and the one that kardam of bulgaria suffered were particularly shocking, specially since they had young kids.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

All losses are hard. But when they die in a senseless way, or when they are either quite young or young children, makes it all the worse.

Queen Alia of Jordan, 28 when she died, leaving behind 2 children who were 2 and 3 years old at the time. And a 4 year old adopted daughter. Sadly for her adopted daughter, she lost both her mothers in similar ways. Her birth mother died from a plane crash at a refugee camp in 1976. A year later her adopted mother died in a helicopter crash.

Little Princess Alienor of Liechtenstein died from choking. She was less then 15 months old at the time. Her parents Prince Rudolph and Princess Tilsim live very private lives (Rudolph's father is the younger brother of Hans Adam) and the existence of their daughter wasn't publicized till after she died.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Nobility

I think the royal Nepal massacre was a big tragedy.

Not only were the king and queen killed, but a lot of their extended family too.
The crown prince also committed suicide.
This in my opinion eventually led to the end of the monarchy in Nepal
Old 08-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Majesty

That's the worst Royal tragedy in recent times, IMO.

I remember it, I was shocked beyond belief. I still am.

The sudden and violent deaths of Queen Astrid of Belgium, Queen Alia of Jordan, Diana Princess of Wales, and Princess Grace of Monaco are not far behind.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

On November 16, 1937, Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie and Hereditary Grand Duke George Donatus of Hesse and by Rhine, their two sons, Prince Ludwig and Prince Alexander, and George's mother, Grand Duchess Eleonore were traveling by plane to London to attend a family wedding. The plane crashed leaving no survivors.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
On November 16, 1937, Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie and Hereditary Grand Duke George Donatus of Hesse and by Rhine, their two sons, Prince Ludwig and Prince Alexander, and George's mother, Grand Duchess Eleonore were traveling by plane to London to attend a family wedding. The plane crashed leaving no survivors.
Three sons. The third one if he was named before he died, we will never know. Cecile (Prince Philip's sister), was pregnant. It was determined she had actually given birth some time midflight to the baby.

Their daughter Johanna had not been on the flight. She was only a year old, likely why she was left at home. Sadly she died of meningitis less then 2 years later.

They had been headed for the wedding of George's brother Ludwig. Ludwig's wedding took place on time, but he and Margaret married in mourning clothes and then headed home for the funeral. The couple adopted Joanna and planned to raise her as their own.

Quote:
That's the worst Royal tragedy in recent times, IMO.

I remember it, I was shocked beyond belief. I still am.

The sudden and violent deaths of Queen Astrid of Belgium, Queen Alia of Jordan, Diana Princess of Wales, and Princess Grace of Monaco are not far behind.
Any death by accident are always tragic, no matter who.

But for shock value, a mass murder is something that stays in a person's mind. And when it is the murder of such a prominent group as almost an entire royal family. I remember hearing about the event. I had never heard of the Nepal royal family before. Now I will never forget.

9 members of the royal family were murdered. And four wounded. And then of course the 10th death, the shooter himself.

dead:
-King Birendra
-Queen Aishwarya
-their younger son Prince Nirajan
-Princess Shruti, their only daughter
-Prince Dhirendra, younger brother of the king
-Princess Shanti, the king's sister, the widowed Rani Bahjang (current Raja is her son)
-Princess Sharada, another sister of the king
-Sharada's husband Khadja
-Princess Jayanti, a cousin of the king

shot:
-Princess Shova-another sister of the king
-Gorakh- Shruti's husband
-Princess Komal- the king's sister in law, wife of eventual King Gyanendra
-Ketaki Chester- Princess Jayanti's sister, she had given up her title

The only adult member of the royal family (the king, his children and his siblings) not at least injured, was King Gyanendra.

I remember as a kid watching King Ralph and thinking 'that could never happen'. Okay well 100 people weren't wiped out, but the near wipe out of the royal family in one horrific event was possible.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Three sons. The third one if he was named before he died, we will never know. Cecile (Prince Philip's sister), was pregnant. It was determined she had actually given birth some time midflight to the baby.

Two sons is correct. The body of the third was found in the wreckage but it isn't known whether he was born during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Source: Philip Eade, Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II (2011), p. xviii.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Two sons is correct. The body of the third was found in the wreckage but it isn't known whether he was born during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Source: Philip Eade, Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II (2011), p. xviii.

Newspaper articles suggest that the determination was made she had gone into labor during the flight

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...g=4248,1220727

Either way there was a third son and he died.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Newspaper articles suggest that the determination was made she had gone into labor during the flight

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...g=4248,1220727

Either way there was a third son and he died.
The newspaper account is wrong. Yes there were three sons but the OP referred to the number of sons who were travelling with their parents. There were two. The third was born either during the flight or as a result of the crash.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
The newspaper account is wrong. Yes there were three sons but the OP referred to the number of sons who were travelling with their parents. There were two. The third was born either during the flight or as a result of the crash.
Glad we agree He was traveling on the flight.

It wasn't about those 'born when they boarded the airplane' but those who died as result of the crash. The little prince was one of them.

And you yourself just said that he may have been born during flight, is what the paper said.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Glad we agree He was traveling on the flight.

It wasn't about those 'born when they boarded the airplane' but those who died as result of the crash. The little prince was one of them.

And you yourself just said that he may have been born during flight, is what the paper said.
Nice try but the OP stated "and their two sons...traveled..." so it was about who boarded the plane. Even if the third was born mid-flight (which could never be determined) it only "traveled" from the air to the ground.

And the article you linked to didn't say the baby *may* have been born mid-flight. It clearly stated the birth caused the crash. But that's only a *theory* since the exact time of birth couldn't be determined. Therefore the article is incorrect.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Royal Highness

That whole plane crash of 1937 was a terrible terrible tragedy that affected so many lives.
And I remember the shooting of the Nepalese Royal family by the son another terrible tragedy.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The Murder of King Feisal of Irak and his Uncle whose body was destroyed in public.
Old Today, 02:54 PM

The death of Princess Charlotte of Wales after childbirth.