The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The High Commissions (we have High Commissions not Embassies in each others' countries) sometimes help other Commonwealth Citizens e.g. if Australia doesn't have a High Commission in a foreign country - due to whatever reason - it is possible that they will be directed to the Canadian or some other Commonwealth High Commission if assistance is needed.

I didn't know this...

To clarify, if Canada doesn't have a High Commission in, say, Jamaica, but Australia does, a Canadian would be sent to the Australian High Commission for help?

Or do you mean if a Canadian was in Cuba and there was no Canadian embassy they would be directed to the Australian one?

Either way, does it work for all the Nations or just the Realms?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I didn't know this...

To clarify, if Canada doesn't have a High Commission in, say, Jamaica, but Australia does, a Canadian would be sent to the Australian High Commission for help?

Or do you mean if a Canadian was in Cuba and there was no Canadian embassy they would be directed to the Australian one?

Either way, does it work for all the Nations or just the Realms?
In the context of your proposition, yes there may be an arrangement between nations should there not be a resident head of mission (High Commissioner within Commonwealth countries, Ambassadors between others) present in a particular country.
This arrangement is not restricted to Commonwealth nations though. For instance, if I travel to Iran as a UK national next week and get into a bit of bother in Tehran, the Foreign Office instructs me to seek assistance at the Swedish Embassy, as the UK Embassy in Iran is only able to provide 'limited consular assistance'.

In answer to your final questions, it works for all the Nations, not just the Realms. The Realms are only distinguished because we share a Crown in personal union with the other fifteen.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Commoner

I think that most if not all Commonwealth countries will stay and those which are Constitutional Monarchies will stay that way. Charles won't reign for long. The popularity of the Cambridges may have secured the monarchy in other realms for many more generations! If Charles passes before HM, and William becomes King next, then without a doubt, republicanism would be quashed thankfully!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

As an Australian (and a monarchist) I wouldn't be too sure of that, HRHPrince! And I don't write that with any joy.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As an Australian (and a monarchist) I wouldn't be too sure of that, HRHPrince! And I don't write that with any joy.
If William and Catherine are King and Queen of Australia, I think all should be fine there hopefully, do you? It's just whether Australians will be patient and sit through the reign of Charles. Or they might even like him once they realise that he will be a good King! I truely hope Australia remains a monarchy. Many will regret having a boring politician as Head of State especially when the much loved William is on the throne!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Glad to hear someone be as enthoisiastic about P.William as you are...if you read the comments sections of the Daily Mail (or some other royal forums on internet) you get a very different view of him...
Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is really a question for another thread, HRH. However, suffice to say that I don't think it's a question of popularity of William over Charles or vice-versa. (By the way Charles attracted huge crowds in Sydney the last time he visited.)

It's more that Australians may want their own Head of State in future years. We've moved away from Britain so much in the decades I've been here. I'd say it's OK in the short term. There's no great wave of feeling against the monarchy at the moment. Too many other things on our plate. In another ten, twenty years, I'm not so sure.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Yes indeed, there is a separate thread for discussing the monarchy in Australia...as well as separate ones for New Zealand and Canada so please check out the following links:

The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...
The Queen and New Zealand: Residences, Governor-General, etc...
The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G View Post
If William and Catherine are King and Queen of Australia, I think all should be fine there hopefully, do you? It's just whether Australians will be patient and sit through the reign of Charles. Or they might even like him once they realise that he will be a good King! I truely hope Australia remains a monarchy. Many will regret having a boring politician as Head of State especially when the much loved William is on the throne!
Just a quick question here. It is my understanding that in Australia, it will be only Charles and then William that will be The King of Australia. Their spouses and their children or relatives have no Australian titles but are addressed as their position in the UK. With this in mind, Kate would never be addressed as the Queen of Austrailia. Correct?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that most if not all Commonwealth countries will stay and those which are Constitutional Monarchies will stay that way. Charles won't reign for long. The popularity of the Cambridges may have secured the monarchy in other realms for many more generations! If Charles passes before HM, and William becomes King next, then without a doubt, republicanism would be quashed thankfully!
Quote:
To imagine that Charles coming to the throne would make us more likely to become republicans is more than a little insulting if not downright offensive. Neither country would make such far-reaching and expensive changes in the way we are governed for such a shallow and petty reason.

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles. Charles has been heir to the throne as long as HM has been Queen. We have seen the good and the bad. We at least have an idea of the mettle of the man.

On the other hand, William has done precisely nothing to endear himself especially to those of Australasia. At present, there is still a heavy scent of 'Willnot' and 'Cannot' in the air. He and his family still come across as too fond of expensive holidays, too isolated from reality and too fond of being petulant and surly any time they see a reporter.

We know nothing of William's depth of character, whether he is diplomatically adept or ignorant. Is he an asset to HM's Government or not, that we don't know yet because he is not yet a full-time working member of the BRF and has therefore not shown us what kind of man he is. Only time and experience can change that.

The only swooning over the Cambridge's I have seen is on the covers of The Women's Weekly, New Idea, Women's Day, et al.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just a quick question here. It is my understanding that in Australia, it will be only Charles and then William that will be The King of Australia. Their spouses and their children or relatives have no Australian titles but are addressed as their position in the UK. With this in mind, Kate would never be addressed as the Queen of Austrailia. Correct?
Each realm is different here but you are right as far as Australia is concerned.

William may become King of Australia in time but Kate won't be Queen of Australia. She will be referred to as Queen Catherine because that is would be her British title but she won't have an Australian one. I think that in Canada she would be Queen of Canada but that is because Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc are all different realms.

I suspect though that by the time Charles becomes King the number of realms may very well be closer to 10 than the current 16 and during his reign I do expect both Australia and New Zealand to revisit/visit that question.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Glad to hear someone be as enthoisiastic about P.William as you are...if you read the comments sections of the Daily Mail (or some other royal forums on internet) you get a very different view of him...
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Each realm is different here but you are right as far as Australia is concerned.

William may become King of Australia in time but Kate won't be Queen of Australia. She will be referred to as Queen Catherine because that is would be her British title but she won't have an Australian one. I think that in Canada she would be Queen of Canada but that is because Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc are all different realms.

I suspect though that by the time Charles becomes King the number of realms may very well be closer to 10 than the current 16 and during his reign I do expect both Australia and New Zealand to revisit/visit that question.
I think we may be ahead of NZ and consider a republic when the Queen dies.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To imagine that Charles coming to the throne would make us more likely to become republicans is more than a little insulting if not downright offensive. Neither country would make such far-reaching and expensive changes in the way we are governed for such a shallow and petty reason.

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles. Charles has been heir to the throne as long as HM has been Queen. We have seen the good and the bad. We at least have an idea of the mettle of the man.

On the other hand, William has done precisely nothing to endear himself especially to those of Australasia. At present, there is still a heavy scent of 'Willnot' and 'Cannot' in the air. He and his family still come across as too fond of expensive holidays, too isolated from reality and too fond of being petulant and surly any time they see a reporter.

We know nothing of William's depth of character, whether he is diplomatically adept or ignorant. Is he an asset to HM's Government or not, that we don't know yet because he is not yet a full-time working member of the BRF and has therefore not shown us what kind of man he is. Only time and experience can change that.

The only swooning over the Cambridge's I have seen is on the covers of The Women's Weekly, New Idea, Women's Day, et al.
Do you know what William went through as a child? Have you thought about how it affected him? He had his mother and father separate, his mother is killed in public and his father was always working hard so hardly got to see him. Therefore William doesn't want that experience for his children, he wants to bring them up in a VERY close family environment where he is always there for his children, a lot of people respect that. His Grandmother and Father also had very little private lives as their roles started so early, so they want William as he isn't next in line yet, to have some time to relax and be a family man. Before he becomes Prince of Wales and King, when the rest of his life until death will be devoted to his realms. After the visit to Australia by the Cambridges, the monarchy's popularity skyrocketed there.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:43 AM
Nobility

William's correct title will be "King by right in Australia/New Zealand" not King of Australia.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Australians want Prince George to replace Queen Elizabeth instead of Prince Charles
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Nobility

Curryong is also onto something - the republican cause is somewhat in the dole drums at the moment as neither giving more power to politicians is popular at the moment; nor is the desire for a potentially divisive and probably inconclusive debate there as well. I don't think it's just down to the popularity of W&K (although in all fairness it's a BIG part of it), I think it's also a certain disolutionment with those who are often republican in AUs/NZ - eg those of the metropolitan centre left who already have a bad habit of being able to dominate political discourse. I remember the sheer contempt that many of them had for those who wanted to keep the monarchy in Australia and in that context it was a lot like the recent EU vote in the UK, in that it was as much a rejection of that particular political classes values as it was about the fact that there wasn't enough faith in the replacement. I really don't think it's that surprising that those who wanted the republic the most like Paul Keating also wanted to not give the people the chance to vote for a president - he knew he'd probably loose if he has to run on his own without the ALP backing him up (let's be honest he really wanted to be president and open the Sydney olympics - I actually think some people voted no just to deny him that opportunity), and that there was an unwillingness to actually give said hypothetical president sone real power to knock heads together - again that would have undermined the power of the state premiers and of cabinet - they wanted a cosmetic change to stop people asking for real change. I'm not surprised that monarchism is on the rise again - republicanism is looking worse and worse every day and you could do much worse than to have Prince Charles or Prince William as your future head of state - just look at those once great republics of the US of A, France, Germany, and much of the rest of Europe and Latin Amreica and you will see that as the old song goes "we don't know how lucky we are"

NOTE: I myself am I guess you could call the metropolitan centre-left - I just make an effort to exercise a little more self awareness than some of my hipster bretherin - feel free to mock me if you wish

NOTE: I'm sorry , the idea of president trump makes me shiver and I'm not enthuastic about Hillz either!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:07 AM
Nobility

That's a poll in the Woman's Weekly they're referring to - just ignore it. The SMH is somewhat similar in political outlook to the Guardian and we on this forum all know what they're like(!) or the NYT - at least they aspire to be. They were also a pro republic paper in the 1999 referendum as well
Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles.
The two main reasons I've ever heard anyone I know mention for New Zealand becoming a republic are 1) they don't PC to be King - C'mon people, the bad stuff happens nearly two decades ago - you really need to move on! And 2) that NZ should be a republic so we can beat the ozzies to the punch. Both are horrible reasons and if that is all the great New Zealand public can come up with than I'd rather stick with the monarchy thank you! We don't have any federal/exec issues to fix nor do we have great power aspirations/pretentions like a certain west island I could name. NZ has other issues to fix like child poverty, tying up the loose ends of the Waitangi claims tribunal, the housing problem in Auckland, the pollution in the waterways, rebuilding Christchurch etc...the flag referendum was a waste of time, energy, and money - a similar one on the monarchy would be like that but times at least ten - what a waste!
Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Nobility

A quick note about the non-white Commonwealth realms and their realtionship to the BRF/crown.

Although the subject of the crown's realtionship to Australia, New Zealand and Canada has been very well covered on this thread, there are 13 other realms to consider as well mostly in the Carribean and the Pacific. Without getting too political at 10:30 in the evening, as a general rule a lot of these Carribean realms would like to become republics but often can't do so due to the cost involved. Replacing the signs and names on things, setting up the office of the president and paying for the referendum is expensive and despite a clear desire (the fact that the nominal head of state is a white person living some distance from majority black countries does not sit well with many who live there) to do so. This I know has been the case with Jamacia as the desire is there but not the funds and I recall hearing that Barbados had taken the plunge so to speak.

I just wanted to point that out. Thank you for listening