The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The High Commissions (we have High Commissions not Embassies in each others' countries) sometimes help other Commonwealth Citizens e.g. if Australia doesn't have a High Commission in a foreign country - due to whatever reason - it is possible that they will be directed to the Canadian or some other Commonwealth High Commission if assistance is needed.

I didn't know this...

To clarify, if Canada doesn't have a High Commission in, say, Jamaica, but Australia does, a Canadian would be sent to the Australian High Commission for help?

Or do you mean if a Canadian was in Cuba and there was no Canadian embassy they would be directed to the Australian one?

Either way, does it work for all the Nations or just the Realms?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Von Schlesian's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I didn't know this...

To clarify, if Canada doesn't have a High Commission in, say, Jamaica, but Australia does, a Canadian would be sent to the Australian High Commission for help?

Or do you mean if a Canadian was in Cuba and there was no Canadian embassy they would be directed to the Australian one?

Either way, does it work for all the Nations or just the Realms?
In the context of your proposition, yes there may be an arrangement between nations should there not be a resident head of mission (High Commissioner within Commonwealth countries, Ambassadors between others) present in a particular country.
This arrangement is not restricted to Commonwealth nations though. For instance, if I travel to Iran as a UK national next week and get into a bit of bother in Tehran, the Foreign Office instructs me to seek assistance at the Swedish Embassy, as the UK Embassy in Iran is only able to provide 'limited consular assistance'.

In answer to your final questions, it works for all the Nations, not just the Realms. The Realms are only distinguished because we share a Crown in personal union with the other fifteen.
__________________

__________________
May she defend our laws, and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice, God save the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM
HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Windsor, United Kingdom
Posts: 19
I think that most if not all Commonwealth countries will stay and those which are Constitutional Monarchies will stay that way. Charles won't reign for long. The popularity of the Cambridges may have secured the monarchy in other realms for many more generations! If Charles passes before HM, and William becomes King next, then without a doubt, republicanism would be quashed thankfully!
__________________
HRH Prince Daniel James Henry William George of the United Kingdom. Heir Presumptive.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,728
As an Australian (and a monarchist) I wouldn't be too sure of that, HRHPrince! And I don't write that with any joy.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM
HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Windsor, United Kingdom
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As an Australian (and a monarchist) I wouldn't be too sure of that, HRHPrince! And I don't write that with any joy.
If William and Catherine are King and Queen of Australia, I think all should be fine there hopefully, do you? It's just whether Australians will be patient and sit through the reign of Charles. Or they might even like him once they realise that he will be a good King! I truely hope Australia remains a monarchy. Many will regret having a boring politician as Head of State especially when the much loved William is on the throne!
__________________
HRH Prince Daniel James Henry William George of the United Kingdom. Heir Presumptive.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,090
Glad to hear someone be as enthoisiastic about P.William as you are...if you read the comments sections of the Daily Mail (or some other royal forums on internet) you get a very different view of him...
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,728
This is really a question for another thread, HRH. However, suffice to say that I don't think it's a question of popularity of William over Charles or vice-versa. (By the way Charles attracted huge crowds in Sydney the last time he visited.)

It's more that Australians may want their own Head of State in future years. We've moved away from Britain so much in the decades I've been here. I'd say it's OK in the short term. There's no great wave of feeling against the monarchy at the moment. Too many other things on our plate. In another ten, twenty years, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,777
Yes indeed, there is a separate thread for discussing the monarchy in Australia...as well as separate ones for New Zealand and Canada so please check out the following links:

The Queen and Australia: Residences, Governor-General, etc...
The Queen and New Zealand: Residences, Governor-General, etc...
The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G View Post
If William and Catherine are King and Queen of Australia, I think all should be fine there hopefully, do you? It's just whether Australians will be patient and sit through the reign of Charles. Or they might even like him once they realise that he will be a good King! I truely hope Australia remains a monarchy. Many will regret having a boring politician as Head of State especially when the much loved William is on the throne!
Just a quick question here. It is my understanding that in Australia, it will be only Charles and then William that will be The King of Australia. Their spouses and their children or relatives have no Australian titles but are addressed as their position in the UK. With this in mind, Kate would never be addressed as the Queen of Austrailia. Correct?
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 5,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G View Post
I think that most if not all Commonwealth countries will stay and those which are Constitutional Monarchies will stay that way. Charles won't reign for long. The popularity of the Cambridges may have secured the monarchy in other realms for many more generations! If Charles passes before HM, and William becomes King next, then without a doubt, republicanism would be quashed thankfully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G View Post
If William and Catherine are King and Queen of Australia, I think all should be fine there hopefully, do you? It's just whether Australians will be patient and sit through the reign of Charles. Or they might even like him once they realise that he will be a good King! I truely hope Australia remains a monarchy. Many will regret having a boring politician as Head of State especially when the much loved William is on the throne!
To imagine that Charles coming to the throne would make us more likely to become republicans is more than a little insulting if not downright offensive. Neither country would make such far-reaching and expensive changes in the way we are governed for such a shallow and petty reason.

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles. Charles has been heir to the throne as long as HM has been Queen. We have seen the good and the bad. We at least have an idea of the mettle of the man.

On the other hand, William has done precisely nothing to endear himself especially to those of Australasia. At present, there is still a heavy scent of 'Willnot' and 'Cannot' in the air. He and his family still come across as too fond of expensive holidays, too isolated from reality and too fond of being petulant and surly any time they see a reporter.

We know nothing of William's depth of character, whether he is diplomatically adept or ignorant. Is he an asset to HM's Government or not, that we don't know yet because he is not yet a full-time working member of the BRF and has therefore not shown us what kind of man he is. Only time and experience can change that.

The only swooning over the Cambridge's I have seen is on the covers of The Women's Weekly, New Idea, Women's Day, et al.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-16-2016, 03:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just a quick question here. It is my understanding that in Australia, it will be only Charles and then William that will be The King of Australia. Their spouses and their children or relatives have no Australian titles but are addressed as their position in the UK. With this in mind, Kate would never be addressed as the Queen of Austrailia. Correct?
Each realm is different here but you are right as far as Australia is concerned.

William may become King of Australia in time but Kate won't be Queen of Australia. She will be referred to as Queen Catherine because that is would be her British title but she won't have an Australian one. I think that in Canada she would be Queen of Canada but that is because Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc are all different realms.

I suspect though that by the time Charles becomes King the number of realms may very well be closer to 10 than the current 16 and during his reign I do expect both Australia and New Zealand to revisit/visit that question.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:35 AM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Glad to hear someone be as enthoisiastic about P.William as you are...if you read the comments sections of the Daily Mail (or some other royal forums on internet) you get a very different view of him...
I was thinking the same thing!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 AM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Each realm is different here but you are right as far as Australia is concerned.

William may become King of Australia in time but Kate won't be Queen of Australia. She will be referred to as Queen Catherine because that is would be her British title but she won't have an Australian one. I think that in Canada she would be Queen of Canada but that is because Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc are all different realms.

I suspect though that by the time Charles becomes King the number of realms may very well be closer to 10 than the current 16 and during his reign I do expect both Australia and New Zealand to revisit/visit that question.
I think we may be ahead of NZ and consider a republic when the Queen dies.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 AM
HRHPrinceD.J.H.W.G's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Windsor, United Kingdom
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To imagine that Charles coming to the throne would make us more likely to become republicans is more than a little insulting if not downright offensive. Neither country would make such far-reaching and expensive changes in the way we are governed for such a shallow and petty reason.

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles. Charles has been heir to the throne as long as HM has been Queen. We have seen the good and the bad. We at least have an idea of the mettle of the man.

On the other hand, William has done precisely nothing to endear himself especially to those of Australasia. At present, there is still a heavy scent of 'Willnot' and 'Cannot' in the air. He and his family still come across as too fond of expensive holidays, too isolated from reality and too fond of being petulant and surly any time they see a reporter.

We know nothing of William's depth of character, whether he is diplomatically adept or ignorant. Is he an asset to HM's Government or not, that we don't know yet because he is not yet a full-time working member of the BRF and has therefore not shown us what kind of man he is. Only time and experience can change that.

The only swooning over the Cambridge's I have seen is on the covers of The Women's Weekly, New Idea, Women's Day, et al.
Do you know what William went through as a child? Have you thought about how it affected him? He had his mother and father separate, his mother is killed in public and his father was always working hard so hardly got to see him. Therefore William doesn't want that experience for his children, he wants to bring them up in a VERY close family environment where he is always there for his children, a lot of people respect that. His Grandmother and Father also had very little private lives as their roles started so early, so they want William as he isn't next in line yet, to have some time to relax and be a family man. Before he becomes Prince of Wales and King, when the rest of his life until death will be devoted to his realms. After the visit to Australia by the Cambridges, the monarchy's popularity skyrocketed there.
__________________
HRH Prince Daniel James Henry William George of the United Kingdom. Heir Presumptive.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:43 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 325
William's correct title will be "King by right in Australia/New Zealand" not King of Australia.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,010
Australians want Prince George to replace Queen Elizabeth instead of Prince Charles
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 325
Curryong is also onto something - the republican cause is somewhat in the dole drums at the moment as neither giving more power to politicians is popular at the moment; nor is the desire for a potentially divisive and probably inconclusive debate there as well. I don't think it's just down to the popularity of W&K (although in all fairness it's a BIG part of it), I think it's also a certain disolutionment with those who are often republican in AUs/NZ - eg those of the metropolitan centre left who already have a bad habit of being able to dominate political discourse. I remember the sheer contempt that many of them had for those who wanted to keep the monarchy in Australia and in that context it was a lot like the recent EU vote in the UK, in that it was as much a rejection of that particular political classes values as it was about the fact that there wasn't enough faith in the replacement. I really don't think it's that surprising that those who wanted the republic the most like Paul Keating also wanted to not give the people the chance to vote for a president - he knew he'd probably loose if he has to run on his own without the ALP backing him up (let's be honest he really wanted to be president and open the Sydney olympics - I actually think some people voted no just to deny him that opportunity), and that there was an unwillingness to actually give said hypothetical president sone real power to knock heads together - again that would have undermined the power of the state premiers and of cabinet - they wanted a cosmetic change to stop people asking for real change. I'm not surprised that monarchism is on the rise again - republicanism is looking worse and worse every day and you could do much worse than to have Prince Charles or Prince William as your future head of state - just look at those once great republics of the US of A, France, Germany, and much of the rest of Europe and Latin Amreica and you will see that as the old song goes "we don't know how lucky we are"

NOTE: I myself am I guess you could call the metropolitan centre-left - I just make an effort to exercise a little more self awareness than some of my hipster bretherin - feel free to mock me if you wish

NOTE: I'm sorry , the idea of president trump makes me shiver and I'm not enthuastic about Hillz either!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:07 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 325
That's a poll in the Woman's Weekly they're referring to - just ignore it. The SMH is somewhat similar in political outlook to the Guardian and we on this forum all know what they're like(!) or the NYT - at least they aspire to be. They were also a pro republic paper in the 1999 referendum as well
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To imagine that Charles coming to the throne would make us more likely to become republicans is more than a little insulting if not downright offensive. Neither country would make such far-reaching and expensive changes in the way we are governed for such a shallow and petty reason.

Both New Zealand and Australia are Constitutional Parliamentary Democracies and it suits us to remain so at present. Given time the Republican movement may gain strength in both Australia and New Zealand, but I guarantee the reasons will be of far more importance and depth than an imagined dislike for Prince Charles.
The two main reasons I've ever heard anyone I know mention for New Zealand becoming a republic are 1) they don't PC to be King - C'mon people, the bad stuff happens nearly two decades ago - you really need to move on! And 2) that NZ should be a republic so we can beat the ozzies to the punch. Both are horrible reasons and if that is all the great New Zealand public can come up with than I'd rather stick with the monarchy thank you! We don't have any federal/exec issues to fix nor do we have great power aspirations/pretentions like a certain west island I could name. NZ has other issues to fix like child poverty, tying up the loose ends of the Waitangi claims tribunal, the housing problem in Auckland, the pollution in the waterways, rebuilding Christchurch etc...the flag referendum was a waste of time, energy, and money - a similar one on the monarchy would be like that but times at least ten - what a waste!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 AM
WreathOfLaurels's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 325
A quick note about the non-white Commonwealth realms and their realtionship to the BRF/crown.

Although the subject of the crown's realtionship to Australia, New Zealand and Canada has been very well covered on this thread, there are 13 other realms to consider as well mostly in the Carribean and the Pacific. Without getting too political at 10:30 in the evening, as a general rule a lot of these Carribean realms would like to become republics but often can't do so due to the cost involved. Replacing the signs and names on things, setting up the office of the president and paying for the referendum is expensive and despite a clear desire (the fact that the nominal head of state is a white person living some distance from majority black countries does not sit well with many who live there) to do so. This I know has been the case with Jamacia as the desire is there but not the funds and I recall hearing that Barbados had taken the plunge so to speak.

I just wanted to point that out. Thank you for listening
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Queen, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth saxon Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 190 07-05-2016 10:11 AM
Charles and the Commonwealth Huddo The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 49 11-22-2015 07:33 AM
William and the Commonwealth Realms Harold The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 71 08-09-2015 11:16 PM
The Commonwealth and Commonwealth Realms post Elizabeth Keystone British Royals 104 04-08-2014 04:51 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best hat best outfit british catherine middleton style coup d'etat courtship crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events current events thread danish royal family duchess of cambridge fashion poll felipe vi general news grand duke jean greece infanta elena outfit kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah ii current events king felipe king felipe and queen letizia king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander magna charta member introduction mohammed reza national day norwegian royals opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard princess alexandra princess madeleine princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia maternity wear princess sofia pregnancy style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen mathilde queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal royal fashion sonja state visit state visit from mexico sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge eveningwear the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats valentino


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises