Marriage Between Two Heirs?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While QEII is queen of several countries, each of them other than the UK has a governor-general that represents the queen in the oversee realms. Since the age of dynastic marriages is over, it seems unlikely that 2 heirs would marry. Maybe in the scadanivian royals since they seem to interact more than the British.

Actually a child from that marriage could inherit the Swedish throne - he or she just couldn't inherit both thrones.

Say Estelle were to marry the Cambridge Baby and have 2 kids. They each become monarch of their respective nations, suo jure, and consort of their spouse's nations. Then one day Cambridge dies, and their eldest child becomes monarch of Britain. Now that eldest child is excluded from the line of succession to the Swedish throne - making the second child monarch of Sweden on Estelle's death.

Or, conversely, Estelle dies first, and the eldest child inherits her throne, making him or her ineligible to inherit another throne by Swedish law. Therefore he/she renounces his rights to the British throne, and when Cambridge baby dies the second child becomes monarch.
When it comes to inheriting the Swedish throne, there is also the demand in the Order of the Succession that any heir must be of the Swedish Lutheran Church, be a Swedish citizen, and the Swedish parliament would probably also demand that the heir(s) to the throne would have to live in and go to school in Sweden, which would be very difficult to arrange if one of the parents were a monarch or heir of an other country.

I don't know what demands there are on a heir to the British throne, but doesn't they have to be a member of the Church of England?

The British monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, but - and I may be wrong here - AFAIK the only requirement in terms of "belonging" to a religion is that they not be Catholic, and the same for a spouse. Prince Philip converted from Greek Orthodoxy to Anglicanism before his marriage, but I don't think he was actually required to do so. I'm not sure if George I and George II were ever officially "received" into the Church of England.

There are precedents for a younger child inheriting a throne. Prince Alfred, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's second son, became Duke of Saxe-Coburg when Albert's brother died, because it was felt that the Prince of Wales couldn't be both Duke of Saxe-Coburg and future British monarch. In that case, being Duke of Saxe-Coburg was very much "junior" to becoming king of Britain, so it's not quite the same thing, but that's what was done there.

I think it's generally accepted that the monarch has to be CofE (although they go to Church of Scotland services while in Scotland), but the heir and their consorts simply cannot be Catholic.

You mean their kids if they had any or One of the spouse (future Kung/Quuen) would have to remove themselves from theline of succession? That probably make most sense. It sure would cause some complications not just for them but for both Royal Houses.

I meant one of the spouse, sorry for not being clear.

I would be a quite complicated situation, as many said before, but not impossible. It happened before. Isabella II of Spain married the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (if I'm not wrong), but since he had other brothers he was the one who renounced.

I don't think they could both keep their roles and becoming King and Queen of both their countries. because generally when a Prince marries a foreigner, she takes her husband's citizenship. That's what happened in recent years with Maxima and Mary. I think you can't be, for example, Swedish and Danish at the same time and be a Head of the State in a country and First Lady (or First Man) in another.

I think the easiest and less disrespectful decision would be (if possible) that both give up their succession rights.

I don't know this has been asked before and if this has ever happened either. I have been wondering what if a Futre King married a Futre Queen of another Country? Let just suppose that the Future King and Heir to the Britsh Throne marries The Future Quern and Heir to the Sweedish Throne? Can that happen? And how would that change Titles and Succession?

All marriages of princes or princesses of Sweden have to be authorized by the Swedish government upon a request by the sitting monarch, but, in principle, there is no a priori rule barring the heir (or heiress) to the throne from marrying the heir to another crown. If, however , a prince or princess of Sweden becomes the head of state of another country without the consent of the Swedish monarch and the Swedish parliament, he/she automatically loses his/her succession rights in Sweden.

In practice, intermarriage between heirs is currently avoided to prevent some of the aforementioned complications from arising. Marriages between an heir and members of a foreign royal house who are further down in their own line of succession would be acceptable though, and were actually very common in the history of British/Scandinavian relations, see e.g. the marriage of Maud of Wales with (BrEng to ?) Haakon VII of Norway and the two marriages of Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, respectively with Princess Margaret of Connaught and Lady Louise Mountbatten (the former a granddaughter and the latter a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria). Lord Louis Mountbatten, Lady Louise's brother, is actually rumored, according to some sources, to have plotted to match Carl Gustaf of Sweden with Princess Anne of the United Kingdom, but Carl Gustaf allegedly showed no interest in her.

Last edited:
If both Sweden and England demand their sovereign be of the countries religion, would they allow a late conversion? If George and Estelle marry and have 2 kids who are raised in both countries customs would it be acceptable that they both are also raised in both countries religions until the time it becomes apparent which one will inherit which throne and only then become a full fledged member of the church?

If both Sweden and England demand their sovereign be of the countries religion, would they allow a late conversion? If George and Estelle marry and have 2 kids who are raised in both countries customs would it be acceptable that they both are also raised in both countries religions until the time it becomes apparent which one will inherit which throne and only then become a full fledged member of the church?

If I am not mistaken, the Church of England (CofE) is now in full communion with the Lutheran Church of Sweden (CofSw). I suppose then that George's and Estelle's (hypothetical) children could be baptized and raised in the CofSw, as required by the Swedish Act of Succession, and still be eligible to succeed to the British throne, being Protestant and in communion with the CofE. Am I right ?

Last edited:
A Stadtholder was not a King. We had a Republic at that time. "De Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden" The Stadholder was appointed by the gouvernement. Officially the Stadholder did not inherit the title. Because the government choose every time someone of the same family, it looks like it was a title that one inherited, but it was not.

Actually in 1674 the office of the Stadtholder was made hereditary for Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange and all his descendants from the body male. This arrangement ended automatically when the line of Willem III became extinct.

In 1675 the States of Friesland made the office of the Stadtholder hereditary for Hendrik Casimir II of Nassau-Dietz and all his descendants from the body male. His son Johan Willem Friso of Nassau would become Stadtholder of all the United Provinces. The hereditary office however was only for Friesland.

In 1747 the office of the Stadtholder was made hereditary again in all the United Provinces for Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, Prince of Orange, and his descendants of both the body male and female. Willem IV had two children, a son and a daughter, both successors to the office of the Stadtholder. The son, Willem V, is in the line of the present Dutch royal family. The daughter, Carolina, is in the line of the present Luxembourgian royal family.

The United Provinces were called a "republic" but it was in all but the name no republic at all. No any citizen could vote for the power of the State, even the lower offices as those of Mayor were "distributed" amongst the patrician families.

Last edited:
Actually that has happened: Mary Queen of Scots was Queen at six days of age and she was betrothed at age six to Francis, the Dauphin of France and married at sixteen I believe. Then Francis was proclaimed the Dauphin-King, the Dauphin of France and King of Scotland by marriage to Mary. Mary was known as the "Reine-Dauphine/ness" as Queen of Scotland and Dauphine of France.

Interestingly, she signed over the rights of succession over to France in the event she died before Francis, without children so Scotland would be absorbed into the French empire.

In the Netherlands there is a ban for any Sovereign to take another Crown. An exception is the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg: the Kings of the Netherlands were also Grand Dukes of Luxembourg.

So when Princess Catharina-Amalia wants to marry George of Wales, their eldest child can -according Dutch law- not accept TWO Crowns. When Princess Catharina-Amalia makes her steps on the path of love, she will know where eventual blockades will arise.

Nowadays I think it's hard to have a marriage between two heirs.
I do not know if it would be possible to happen, and to happen I do not know how this situation would be managed.

A marriage between two a Crown Princess and a Crown Prince is impossible. One of them would have to abdicate. Probably that would still have to happen to non reigning couples.

I do not know if it would be possible to happen, and to happen I do not know how this situation would be managed.

At some point there were (not soo serious) rumors about Willem-Alexander and Victoria; I am quite sure that almost everyone would have expected Victoria to give up her crown to become Willem-Alexander's wife and queen had it come to that and not the other way around.

It could be possible for two heir to marry but it would be extremely complicated!
Each would rule in their respective country, because there is no way I can imagine how the public, the constitutions or the parliaments would accept a de facto union between their country.
A consort is expected (very understandably) to be totally loyal to his/her new country. That would present a few problems if the consort is sovereign in another country.
Even countries that have an excellent relationship sometimes have conflicts.

So the solution is for one heir to not only give up the throne but also citizenship and loyalty. That would sure present quite a few problems in the country of the person who gives up the throne! No matter what it would cause a major constitutional crisis, even if the public are happy to get rid of the heir. Changing a perfectly working heir in the middle of the road is always a problem and something that would delight the republicans.
Normally a royal who has married into another royal family would be an ambassador for his/her country. But an heir who given up the throne? And thereby "turned the back" on his/her country? No. - That's a renegade, rather than an ambassador.

Another matter is for a former heir to adjust to the new lifelong role as supporter. Going against what the heir has been brought up to all his/her life.

But what if both heirs gave up the throne? Became ordinary citizens and perhaps even settled somewhere else to live a normal life?
- It would IMO be possible for the former heirs. But it would be seen as an extremely selfish act by the public in both countries and rock the foundation of the monarchy in both countries.
But could it work?

What if:
Amalia and Christian give up the thrones and decides to become ordinary citizens and live in say New Zealand, far away from everything.
Could that be possible and what would be the reaction?
Would another solution work, you think?

(I had to use Christian as there are not that many future male heirs around. Japan would be totally out of the question in the present political climate there and I have to plead ignorance in regards to the Arabic monarchies as well as Thailand.)

Last edited:
There's the old idea that their two realms would become united - Aragon and Castile's probably the best example, and I suppose it sort of happened with Austria and Hungary as well, and Austria and Burgundy before that. And it was supposed to happen with Margaret, Maid of Norway, the Queen of Scotland, and Edward, Prince of Wales, future King of England (so confusing to have 4 countries for 2 people!). I don't think that idea'd go down too well now, though!!

There were some rumours about Queen Victoria and Tsar Alexander II at one time. I have no idea how anyone thought that was supposed to work.

I think one would have to give up their throne, but it wouldn't be a very popular idea in whichever country lost their heir.

There were marriages between heirs in the past France and Navarre, France and Scotland ,Castile and Aragon .

France and Navarre were in a union from 1285 until 1328 .

The British monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, but - and I may be wrong here - AFAIK the only requirement in terms of "belonging" to a religion is that they not be Catholic, and the same for a spouse. Prince Philip converted from Greek Orthodoxy to Anglicanism before his marriage, but I don't think he was actually required to do so. I'm not sure if George I and George II were ever officially "received" into the Church of England.

Since 1688, the Bill of Rights requires the British monarch to be a Protestant.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/WillandMarSess2/1/2

As I understand it doesn't the British monarch have to be "in communion" with the Church of England?

And it was supposed to happen with Margaret, Maid of Norway, the Queen of Scotland, and Edward, Prince of Wales, future King of England (so confusing to have 4 countries for 2 people!). I don't think that idea'd go down too well now, though!!

Including the Lordship of Ireland that would have made five!

The marriage of Jogaila Grand Duke of Lithuania and Jadwiga of Poland on the 11th of January 1386 resulted in the union of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Kingdom of Poland until the death of Jogaila in 1434.

The marriage of Jogaila Grand Duke of Lithuania and Jadwiga of Poland on the 11th of January 1386 resulted in the union of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Kingdom of Poland until the death of Jogaila in 1434.
Although with a few breaks and it taking a few attempts to formalise the union and the subsequent commonwealth it lasted until Polish-Lithuania was swallowed up by Russia, Prussia and the Habsburg monarchy in 1795.

Although with a few breaks and it taking a few attempts to formalise the union and the subsequent commonwealth it lasted until Polish-Lithuania was swallowed up by Russia, Prussia and the Habsburg monarchy in 1795.

And look at the sheer size of that union.

474px-Rzeczpospolita_1619_-_1621.png

It's Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus, plus or minus a few bits, and then minus a large bit of Ukraine which became part of Muscovy/Russia in 1654 Quite impressive that it did last so long, with the liberum veto and the threat from Russia, Sweden, Prussia and Austria!

One country always seems to dominate, though - Poland over Lithuania, Austria over Hungary, Castile over Aragon. Not very nice for the one which is dominated over rather than dominating! Hungary and .... well, Catalunya more than the whole of Aragon made various bids for independence.

The Monarchs of Navarre especially the Houses of Foix/Albrets held vast territories within the kingdom of France.The Albrets seemed to prefer to marry heirs to French noble houses and acquire new titles as time went on.

Count de Foix
Count of Périgord
Count of Bigorre
Count of Armagnac
Count of Rodez
Viscounty de Béarn
Viscounty of Limoges
Viscounty de Marsan
Viscounty de Castelbon
Sire de Albret

For instance Catherine Ier de Navarre was styled after her marriage , by the Grace of God,Catherine Queen of Navarre, Duchess of Nemours, of Montblanc, of Gandia and of Peñafiel; by the same grace, Countess of Foix, Lady of Béarn, Countess of Bigorre, of Ribargorce, of Penthièvre and of Périgord , Viscountess of Limoges , of Castelbon, of Marsan, of Gabardan and of Nébouzan, Lady of Balaguer.

There were marriages between heirs in the past France and Navarre, France and Scotland ,Castile and Aragon .

France and Navarre were in a union from 1285 until 1328 .

Also England and Spain (Mary I Tudor and Felipe II).

Back
Top Bottom