The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvo View Post
I believe the Swedish court HQ is at the Royal Palace in Gamla Stan, Stockholm. They spend holidays and weekends at Drottningholm wich is largely a museum open to the public. A Mid sized baroque palace mostly from the 1600s and 1700s and definitley better for raising a family than the grander palace in the capital. This is how it was when I visited in July, anyway.

The Norwegian royal family resides mainly in two residences; The King and Queen in oslo at the Royal Palace, and the Crown Prince and his family at Skaugum, a villa in a lovely neighbourhood in Bærum outside Oslo.
Norway has only the one palace, the other residences are villas, really. The family also has at it's disposal their skiing cabin and a manor house at the estate of Bygdøy kongsgård.(in the Oslo fjord) Not the wealthiest of royal families, but a very down to earth and truly pleasant family mirroring their people perfectly and admirably.

I recently discovered that THE Royal Palace in England is St. James's palace, and that officially that is Her Majesty's residence and the HQ of her court. It is mostly offices, a few banqueting halls and flats for senior staff members. Why nobody has bothered to change her address I do not know, it is a nice little piece of trivia though. And also I have read that the Palace of Westminster is a royal palace used by the Houses of Parliament at Her Majesty's pleasure, as it were. No wonder, as the Kings of yore lived in the original palace, a small village of cramped and dilapidating buildings spanning seven centuries when it burned down in the 1800s and was rebuilt.
Small correction in st James but it isn't the queen's residence. It has in fact not been used as the residence of the sovereign since WilliamIV was king. Victoria never used it. Yes, it houses many of their offices, and some state functions are held there, but its importance as central home to the sovereign has dwindled. There seems to be a move to have more offices and work move there now as bBuckingham needs repairs.

Buckingham palace has been the official residence since 1837 and is the official administrative castle for the queen. St James is home to Charles, Anne and Alexandra.

Westminster was indeed once a palace, possibly back to Canute. But the Royal privy rooms burned during Henry viii reign. He acquired york palace which he renamed Whitehall, and this became his London home. He gave over the remaining Westminster to parliament to use.

There are many buildings that used to be palaces or Royal homes, the tower of London being one of them. Hampton court another. Sommerset house where I remember skating, housed royals like Elizabeth I and Anne of Denmark.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Small correction in st James but it isn't the queen's residence. It has in fact not been used as the residence of the sovereign since WilliamIV was king. Victoria never used it. Yes, it houses many of their offices, and some state functions are held there, but its importance as central home to the sovereign has dwindled. There seems to be a move to have more offices and work move there now as bBuckingham needs repairs.

Actually St James Palace remains the official residence of he monarch and is the most senior royal palace in England even though no monarch has lived there for well over a century. The official title of the British court is the Court of St. James.

Buckingham Palace was rarely used until Queen Victoria moved in in 1837 but with the death of Prince Albert in 1861 she moved to Windsor and the palace was mothballed. Due to the fact that it was hardly ever used someone posted a notice on the gates proclaiming "These commanding premises to be let or sold, in consequence of the late occupant's declining business."
Edward VII moved in when he took the throne and it said that was the first time Queen Alexandra had entered the building. George V and Queen Mary tended to spend most of their time at Sandringham and the present Queen only spends two nights a week there. She arrives from Windsor on Tuesday morning and leaves again on Thursday afternoon. Prince Charles (or King George VII as he intends to be called) has said that he has no intention of living there at all.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,805
Where is the evidence that Charles intends to be called George VII? There have been rumours for nearly 7 decades now but I haven't ever seen any real evidence i.e. a statement from someone close to Charles.

The Queen is often at BP on days other than those indicated in the above post - based on where she undertakes duties as listed in the CC.

Edward VIII did live there but his Queen wasn't Alexandra. Alexandra was the wife of Edward VII and she was given the task of redecorating BP. It was also used in the 40 years after Albert died for some official state events often hosted by Edward and Alexandra so I don't know why you say Alexandra never went there before becoming Queen. It wasn't used that often but it was used (my great-great-grandfather went to events there in the 1890s.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2017, 05:42 AM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Where is the evidence that Charles intends to be called George VII? There have been rumours for nearly 7 decades now but I haven't ever seen any real evidence i.e. a statement from someone close to Charles.

The Queen is often at BP on days other than those indicated in the above post - based on where she undertakes duties as listed in the CC.

Edward VIII did live there but his Queen wasn't Alexandra. Alexandra was the wife of Edward VII and she was given the task of redecorating BP. It was also used in the 40 years after Albert died for some official state events often hosted by Edward and Alexandra so I don't know why you say Alexandra never went there before becoming Queen. It wasn't used that often but it was used (my great-great-grandfather went to events there in the 1890s.
Charles has apparently mentioned it in interviews he has given in the past. There is nothing new in a British monarch taking another name, in fact it's practically a tradition. Victoria was Alexandrina, Edward VII was Albert, Edward VIII was David and George VI was Albert. Apparently it was a presumed that Elizabeth would take the name Victoria II but when Winston Churchill brought up the subject Elizabeth looked at her mother who gave her a dirty kook and she said "my name will be Elizabeth."


I made a typing error with Edward VII and have corrected it. A few years ago there was a series on British Television about Edward. There is a scene after he became king of him and Alexandra entering the palace and Alexandra makes a comment to the effect that it was the first time she had been there. Now that may have been artistic licence but it's a strange thing to put in if it wasn't true.

I'm sure the Queen is there on other days when duties require it but she will leave again after the event. It's been reported many times that she doesn't like the place, and who can blame her? It's an ugly building and was far better before the courtyard was enclosed by the present façade.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
[...] It's been reported many times that she doesn't like the place, and who can blame her? It's an ugly building and was far better before the courtyard was enclosed by the present façade.
I agree 100% with the façade. Besides that: Buckingham Palace has some monstruous sugarcake-and-bonbonnière interiors with frills here and swirls there. Other palaces like Hampton Court or Kensington Palace provide better interiors, in my humble opinion.

This picture gives an idea of the palace minus the façade, just think that grey mammoth away: picture
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,220
I think Prince Albert's taste prevailed in some of the Palace interiors, didn't it, and once the Victorians saw a clear plain architectural space they seemed to give in to an urge to add unnecessary and quite ugly additions. You can see the results at BP. Buckingham Palace certainly isn't a patch, inside or out, on some of the exquisite Russian palaces, for example.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,877
If monarchs don't live in royal palaces, what's in them?
Tourists' money. Lots and lots of tourists' money.
__________________
The Force is my tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM
JR76's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvo View Post
I believe the Swedish court HQ is at the Royal Palace in Gamla Stan, Stockholm. They spend holidays and weekends at Drottningholm wich is largely a museum open to the public. A Mid sized baroque palace mostly from the 1600s and 1700s and definitley better for raising a family than the grander palace in the capital. This is how it was when I visited in July, anyway.


You're right in that The Royal palace in Stockholm is as you put it the Court HQ but the Royal family doesn't live there at all. The King & Queen live at Drottningholm, which is within an easy commute to TRP, full time & according to themselves have begun to spend as much of their free weekends possible at Stenhammar about a hours drive south of Stockholm.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 169
So, St. James is still used to house royal offices, right? And several members of the family do live there. Are there any ceremonies or such involving the monarch that still happen there instead of Buckingham Palace?

And if so, I'm curious if the Queen has an apartment for her personal use at St. James. I know it's essentially right next door to Buckingham, so I can't imagine her ever wanting to spend the night at St. James. But if she does do business there, it would seem appropriate to keep a place where she could have some privacy; perhaps to change clothes if needed or, in her current stage of life, to take some time alone to rest between meetings or ceremonies.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Charles has apparently mentioned it in interviews he has given in the past. There is nothing new in a British monarch taking another name, in fact it's practically a tradition. Victoria was Alexandrina, Edward VII was Albert, Edward VIII was David and George VI was Albert.
I have seen virtually every documentary every done on or interviews of Charles and have never heard him say he will reign as George VII. That would be in very, very bad taste and totally unacceptable - almost treasonous for the heir to the throne to be talking about what he will do as King.

Edward VIII's first name was Edward. He was called David - another of his names by the family but he used his first name as King. He went from being HRH Prince Edward to HM King Edward.

[quoteApparently it was a presumed that Elizabeth would take the name Victoria II but when Winston Churchill brought up the subject Elizabeth looked at her mother who gave her a dirty kook and she said "my name will be Elizabeth."[/quote]

It wasn't Churchill but one of the staff who was with her in Kenya to whom that comment was made and then her decision was reported back to Churchill. The argument all along had been that Victoria should stand alone as a name and not be used by another monarch as it was 'too soon'.


Quote:
I'm sure the Queen is there on other days when duties require it but she will leave again after the event. It's been reported many times that she doesn't like the place, and who can blame her? It's an ugly building and was far better before the courtyard was enclosed by the present façade.
She doesn't travel back and forth every day and frequently has engagements there on successive days. When that is the case she stays there - so she is frequently there for four or five nights at a time from March to August and again in October and November. She spends 4 months of the year out of London, August, September, December and January while she spends most of April at Windsor along with a large part of June. Sure she isn't at BP all the time but she is there more than two nights a week for the 6 months a year she undertakes regular duties in London.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
So, St. James is still used to house royal offices, right? And several members of the family do live there. Are there any ceremonies or such involving the monarch that still happen there instead of Buckingham Palace?

And if so, I'm curious if the Queen has an apartment for her personal use at St. James. I know it's essentially right next door to Buckingham, so I can't imagine her ever wanting to spend the night at St. James. But if she does do business there, it would seem appropriate to keep a place where she could have some privacy; perhaps to change clothes if needed or, in her current stage of life, to take some time alone to rest between meetings or ceremonies.


There is one big ceremony that happens at St James's Palace instead of Buckingham Palace. We just haven't seen it for 63 years. The proclamation of a new monarch happens from St James's. The palace is also used for receptions mainly hosted by other royals instead of the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-25-2017, 02:53 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
If monarchs don't live in royal palaces, what's in them?
Tourists' money. Lots and lots of tourists' money.
Hm no... I don't think tourists visit Stockholm, Brussels, Madrid, London or Amsterdam because there are palaces. Even with the tourists entrances all palaces need additional funding to pay the staff, the maintenance, the facilities, the gas, water, electrics, the fire- and safety appliances, the insurance. It costs huge amounts but as these are national patrimonium, these are worth preserving. Some countries do it in excellent state (Sweden, Netherlands, France, Spain) and some countries again and again delay and only do the most necessary (Belgium, United Kingdom).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Hm no... I don't think tourists visit Stockholm, Brussels, Madrid, London or Amsterdam because there are palaces. Even with the tourists entrances all palaces need additional funding to pay the staff, the maintenance, the facilities, the gas, water, electrics, the fire- and safety appliances, the insurance. It costs huge amounts but as these are national patrimonium, these are worth preserving. Some countries do it in excellent state (Sweden, Netherlands, France, Spain) and some countries again and again delay and only do the most necessary (Belgium, United Kingdom).

It may not be enough to cover repairs, but yes castles are a huge draw for tourists to countries like the uk, France and Germany. I highly doubt anyone has gone to London and not done the tower. The problem with the U.K., many of the palaces needing repair, like buckingham, are not open to the public, or not very often. People don't tour Kensington or st James. The money comes from the historical palaces which are open to tour or rent. That is why some noble families have open their houses to the public. There us a huge interest to see them, helps fund keeping them running.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I have seen virtually every documentary every done on or interviews of Charles and have never heard him say he will reign as George VII. That would be in very, very bad taste and totally unacceptable - almost treasonous for the heir to the throne to be talking about what he will do as King.

Why would it be in bad taste and unacceptable? Charles is known to be outspoken and there is nothing wrong in saying what name he would be known as.

[quoteApparently it was a presumed that Elizabeth would take the name Victoria II but when Winston Churchill brought up the subject Elizabeth looked at her mother who gave her a dirty kook and she said "my name will be Elizabeth."
It wasn't Churchill but one of the staff who was with her in Kenya to whom that comment was made and then her decision was reported back to Churchill. The argument all along had been that Victoria should stand alone as a name and not be used by another monarch as it was 'too soon'.

Churchill mentioned it in one of his books. He said he had an audience with the Queen after she returned from Kenya and brought up the subject of her regnal name. There is no reason why Victoria should stand alone and how was it 'too soon'? Victoria had been dead for 51 years when Elizabeth took the throne. There were two Edwards and two Georges with a far sorter space of time.

She doesn't travel back and forth every day and frequently has engagements there on successive days. When that is the case she stays there - so she is frequently there for four or five nights at a time from March to August and again in October and November. She spends 4 months of the year out of London, August, September, December and January while she spends most of April at Windsor along with a large part of June. Sure she isn't at BP all the time but she is there more than two nights a week for the 6 months a year she undertakes regular duties in London.[/QUOTE]

I never said she travelled back and forward every day. I have a friend who's cousin works at Buckingham Palace and she says the Queen very rarely stays more than two nights there. Remember that Windsor is only 45 minutes away which is no time at all and even if she has engagements on other days there is no reason why she can't go back to Windsor. We now know through documents issued under the Freedom of Information Act that the boast that the King and Queen stayed in London during the war is a load of rubbish. It has emerged that they travelled from Windsor to London every morning and back again in the evening. The night the palace was hit by a bomb they had to be woken up and driven back to London to give the impression that they had been in the building when it was hit.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Iain's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I agree 100% with the façade. Besides that: Buckingham Palace has some monstruous sugarcake-and-bonbonnière interiors with frills here and swirls there. Other palaces like Hampton Court or Kensington Palace provide better interiors, in my humble opinion.

This picture gives an idea of the palace minus the façade, just think that grey mammoth away: picture
There are some pictures of the palace before the facade was built but I can't seem to upload them.

The facade as it is today was not as Albert intended it to be. It was remodelled in 1913.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
palaces


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania ari behn best gown september 2016 best outfit best outfit september 2016 biography birthday crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion cymry denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cambridge fashion duchess of cambridge style duke of cambridge english books far-right fashion poll fashio poll french jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander maxima in australia and new zealand monarchy nazi new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 paris picture of the week prince charles prince felix princess charlene fashion princess claire of luxembourg princess marie princess mary princess mary fashion princess sofia queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia eveningwear queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathilde visits jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion rohan family september 2016 silva state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises