The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvo View Post
I believe the Swedish court HQ is at the Royal Palace in Gamla Stan, Stockholm. They spend holidays and weekends at Drottningholm wich is largely a museum open to the public. A Mid sized baroque palace mostly from the 1600s and 1700s and definitley better for raising a family than the grander palace in the capital. This is how it was when I visited in July, anyway.

The Norwegian royal family resides mainly in two residences; The King and Queen in oslo at the Royal Palace, and the Crown Prince and his family at Skaugum, a villa in a lovely neighbourhood in Bærum outside Oslo.
Norway has only the one palace, the other residences are villas, really. The family also has at it's disposal their skiing cabin and a manor house at the estate of Bygdøy kongsgård.(in the Oslo fjord) Not the wealthiest of royal families, but a very down to earth and truly pleasant family mirroring their people perfectly and admirably.

I recently discovered that THE Royal Palace in England is St. James's palace, and that officially that is Her Majesty's residence and the HQ of her court. It is mostly offices, a few banqueting halls and flats for senior staff members. Why nobody has bothered to change her address I do not know, it is a nice little piece of trivia though. And also I have read that the Palace of Westminster is a royal palace used by the Houses of Parliament at Her Majesty's pleasure, as it were. No wonder, as the Kings of yore lived in the original palace, a small village of cramped and dilapidating buildings spanning seven centuries when it burned down in the 1800s and was rebuilt.
Small correction in st James but it isn't the queen's residence. It has in fact not been used as the residence of the sovereign since WilliamIV was king. Victoria never used it. Yes, it houses many of their offices, and some state functions are held there, but its importance as central home to the sovereign has dwindled. There seems to be a move to have more offices and work move there now as bBuckingham needs repairs.

Buckingham palace has been the official residence since 1837 and is the official administrative castle for the queen. St James is home to Charles, Anne and Alexandra.

Westminster was indeed once a palace, possibly back to Canute. But the Royal privy rooms burned during Henry viii reign. He acquired york palace which he renamed Whitehall, and this became his London home. He gave over the remaining Westminster to parliament to use.

There are many buildings that used to be palaces or Royal homes, the tower of London being one of them. Hampton court another. Sommerset house where I remember skating, housed royals like Elizabeth I and Anne of Denmark.

Tags
palaces