How Are The Families Related?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaryllus

Royal Highness
City
bedford
Country
United States
It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.

bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!

bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!

If you're not royal, I'd say you should get a ticket to the Olympics. Just ask Fredrick and Mary, or Carl Gustav and Silvia :)
(I think that there are other royals who met at the olympics as well, but I can't remember them right now).

It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.

I believe Queen Elizabeth II is a third cousin to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain, Prince Philip, King Albert II of Belgium, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden; she is a second cousin to King Harald V of Norway. Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix of the Netherlands is more remotely related to the British monarch (I guess, 5th cousin, or something like that)

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Margrethe are first cousins and so are also, I think, King Philippe of Belgium and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg. Queen Sofia is a first cousin once removed to Prince Philip and the sister of Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes.

All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.

All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.

The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/European_monarchs_family_tree.pdf

Last edited:
The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/European_monarchs_family_tree.pdf

Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwo...=/paleishetloo/A2311_DC190911_FOTHaartsen.JPG

Last edited:
Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwo...=/paleishetloo/A2311_DC190911_FOTHaartsen.JPG

I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.

I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.

Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?

Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?

The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.

The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.

Interesting... This may be my next project now....

Interesting... This may be my next project now....

When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....:bang:

When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....:bang:

Out of the blue I happened to catch an episode of Who Do You Think You are and they ended up tracing Cindy Crawford's family tree back to Charlemagne. Very interesting stuffs.

It's fascinating for sure, and I feel that you can see the evolution of Europe through genealogy.

The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

:flowers:

The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

:flowers:

Thanks Duc et Pair. As it was just an hour's show, it was obvious to me that they were highlighting certain connections and I don't think anyone would have believed from the show that the connection to Charlemagne was a deeply researched one. My knowledge of anything genealogical is really quite basic but it fascinates me to read the different forums on here of the vast knowledge that some of our posters have and the connections they've come up with.

Even for regular folks you do have some degree of interpretation, especially in situations where digging up a couple of graves to do a DNA test is impossible because you don't have the documents to prove the connection!

Thanks Duc_et_Pair, you have me another rabbit trail to follow. Johan Willem Friso of Nassau is one of the 43,300 names in my family tree maker file (I've seen others that are bigger, 60,000+, 70,000+, 300,000+). I don't have all of his ancestors and other connections yet, but I think I might try adding his people for a while.

There's a local librarian that will get on your case if you don't cite your sources. When doing my Breese genealogy, I try to cite, cite, cite and overcite my stuff!

Back
Top Bottom