The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,046
How are the Familes Related?

It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,557
This might be a good start: Royal descendants of Queen Victoria and King Christian IX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,046
thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 912
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_intermarriage
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,046
bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:17 PM
xenobia's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!
If you're not royal, I'd say you should get a ticket to the Olympics. Just ask Fredrick and Mary, or Carl Gustav and Silvia :)
(I think that there are other royals who met at the olympics as well, but I can't remember them right now).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.
I believe Queen Elizabeth II is a third cousin to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain, Prince Philip, King Albert II of Belgium, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden; she is a second cousin to King Harald V of Norway. Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix of the Netherlands is more remotely related to the British monarch (I guess, 5th cousin, or something like that)

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Margrethe are first cousins and so are also, I think, King Philippe of Belgium and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg. Queen Sofia is a first cousin once removed to Prince Philip and the sister of Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 3,485
All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.
The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Europea...amily_tree.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Europea...amily_tree.pdf
Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwop...OTHaartsen.JPG
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwop...OTHaartsen.JPG
I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.
__________________
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Knitting with the Royals
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.

Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?
The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.
__________________
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Knitting with the Royals
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.

Interesting... This may be my next project now....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Interesting... This may be my next project now....
When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....
__________________
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Knitting with the Royals
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....
Out of the blue I happened to catch an episode of Who Do You Think You are and they ended up tracing Cindy Crawford's family tree back to Charlemagne. Very interesting stuffs.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:56 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 136
It's fascinating for sure, and I feel that you can see the evolution of Europe through genealogy.
__________________
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Knitting with the Royals
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM
genegirl99's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
Posts: 136
I just reran my genealogy report on the Percy's and found a few more interesting people in it: James Dean, Richard Nixon and the Earls of Carnarvon.
__________________
Proud Percy Descendant ('cause Percy's rule the world!)
Writer on fanficnation.net
Knitting with the Royals
Genealogist: shrinking the world one person at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lapalisse, France
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by genegirl99 View Post
When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....
The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

Thanks Duc et Pair. As it was just an hour's show, it was obvious to me that they were highlighting certain connections and I don't think anyone would have believed from the show that the connection to Charlemagne was a deeply researched one. My knowledge of anything genealogical is really quite basic but it fascinates me to read the different forums on here of the vast knowledge that some of our posters have and the connections they've come up with.
__________________

__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
best outfit birth camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess catharina-amalia crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events death denmark duchess of cornwall fashion fashion poll funeral general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie king abdullah of jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima official visit photo session picture of the week president hollande prince carl philip prince daniel prince frederik prince of wales princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrice princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess eugenie princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary style princess mette-marit princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal fashion sofia hellqvist spanish royals state visit sweden the hague united states of america wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises