Homes For Younger Children Of Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaryllus

Royal Highness
City
bedford
Country
United States
Other than the heirs of course is it a tradition or a given that the sovereigns other children are going to get various residences when they come of age or does it vary with country? I read somewhere maybe here that a certain grand house had been set aside for Isabella already.

Other than the heirs of course is it a tradition or a given that the sovereigns other children are going to get various residences when they come of age or does it vary with country? I read somewhere maybe here that a certain grand house had been set aside for Isabella already.

Going by what's happened with the Queen's children in the UK, it seems to be that the younger children either are given use of an estate or are given one at their weddings. Gatcombe Park was gifted to Anne and Mark on their marriage, Andrew and Sarah had Sunninghill Park built for them and after the divorce and sale of Sunninghill, Andrew was given the use of Royal Lodge. Edward and Sophie have the use of Bagshot Park. I'm sure that, in time, should Harry marry, I'm sure a appropriate estate will be found for him too.

For the most part, in the UK, it seems that the royal children are given use of a residence rather than having them own it outright. William and Kate have their apartment at Kensington Palace and also their country home at Anmer Hall but they do not own it. Its the same with Charles' Highgrove. That property is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.

Princess Margaret really only had her apartment at KP in the UK which is the norm for the British royal family - a base in London and maybe somewhere in the country e.g. the Gloucester's used to have a country house but sold it to pay death duties and to finance their KP apartment when they had to start paying proper rent.

Did the Kents ever have a country home that they owned?

The Kents formerly owned Coppins

It was a country house north of the village of Iver in Buckinghamshire, England, princess Victoria moved there after queen Alexandra's death iin 1925 @ the death & ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1438581848.646227.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1438581863.758810.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1438581879.070836.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1438581900.573558.jpgPrincess Victoria left Coppins to her nephew Prince George, the Duke of Kent, when she died in 1935. From then until it was sold in 1972 to Commander Eli Gottlieb, it was the home of two generations of the Kent family. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a regular visitor to Coppins during school holidays while at Gordonstoun, 1937-9, and Dartmouth Naval College, 1939–40, and later when visiting with the Princess Elizabeth. Prince Michael of Kent was born there on 4 July 1942. In 1944, Princess Marina's first cousin George II of Greece, also stayed at Coppins.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

e.g. the Gloucester's used to have a country house but sold it to pay death duties and to finance their KP apartment when they had to start paying proper rent.

Are you sure the Gloucesters pay full rent? They, and Duke of kent and alexandra are full time working royals. So they just pay nominal rent. Only PrinceMichael has to pay ful rent as he is the only one who doesnt perform 'duties' FULL TIME.

The Kents formerly owned Coppins

It was a country house north of the village of Iver in Buckinghamshire, England, princess Victoria moved there after queen Alexandra's death iin 1925 @ the death & View attachment 296075View attachment 296076View attachment 296077View attachment 296078Princess Victoria left Coppins to her nephew Prince George, the Duke of Kent, when she died in 1935. From then until it was sold in 1972 to Commander Eli Gottlieb, it was the home of two generations of the Kent family. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a regular visitor to Coppins during school holidays while at Gordonstoun, 1937-9, and Dartmouth Naval College, 1939–40, and later when visiting with the Princess Elizabeth. Prince Michael of Kent was born there on 4 July 1942. In 1944, Princess Marina's first cousin George II of Greece, also stayed at Coppins.

Thank you and it looks like it would have been a lovely country home.

To the best of my knowledge, no future home is saved for Isabella. I can vividly imagine all four of the Danish children getting apartments at Amalienborg Palace (and perhaps departments at Gråsten Palace or Marselisborg Palace depending on where in Denmark they choose to study) when they come of age though. It really depends on what they choose to do for a living. Ideally, at least one of them is shipped off to Jylland and/or Fyn to avoid the current situation we have in which the entire royal family's main base is in the capital. Also when Princess Elisabeth dies, Sorgenfri Palace will be uninhabited and with four children of the future monarch, I can imagine they might delegate it to one of them in the future.

To the best of my knowledge, no future home is saved for Isabella. I can vividly imagine all four of the Danish children getting apartments at Amalienborg Palace (and perhaps departments at Gråsten Palace or Marselisborg Palace depending on where in Denmark they choose to study) when they come of age though. It really depends on what they choose to do for a living. Ideally, at least one of them is shipped off to Jylland and/or Fyn to avoid the current situation we have in which the entire royal family's main base is in the capital. Also when Princess Elisabeth dies, Sorgenfri Palace will be uninhabited and with four children of the future monarch, I can imagine they might delegate it to one of them in the future.

Sorgenfri is big enough for all of the Danish kids even if Elisabeth lives to be 120. There's the palace itself and then the wings one which has been inhabited of the Rosenborgs and now by Elisabeth.

:previous: Only I don't think it's likely that more than one (if any) of the children will actually live there in the future. If studying in Copenhagen, it's much more convenient for them to live at Amalienborg. The only way I could see Sorgenfri be "shared" would be if it was between Joachim's children in the future.

In the Netherlands the State gives three palaces at the King's disposal (the Royal Palace, Noordeinde and Huis ten Bosch) and there are arrangements about the use of two other palaces (Palace Het Loo and Castle Het Oude Loo).

For the rest of the Dutch royal family, nothing is arranged, All of them are responsible for their own living. Even the Prince of Orange had to purchase his own house. The abdicated Queen went to her privately owned estate. Out of courtoisie the State gave her an office annex pied-à-terre in The Hague (see picture), to have her own "appropriate" surroundings befitting her position when she is in The Hague. That is all. No arrangements for other royals in the Netherlands outside the King.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Kent is a very proud Yorkshire woman and one of her relatives founded what is now ICI. I believe she now lives in Wren Cottage, London and I have no idea where her children live.

I believe it is likely that one of Crown Prince Frederik's younger children will live at Sorgenfri Palace. The palace is large and appears to be uninhabited.

Back
Top Bottom