Royals Living with Great-great-grandparents?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ah1806

City
Leeds
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there! I’m new here but I’ve had a burning question and wonders whether you lovely folk on here could help.

I know that upon the birth of Prince George in 2013 it marked the second time that there were three living heirs to the throne alive at the same time. However, the Queen became a great-grandmother in 2010 when Savannah Phillips was born.

It made me wonder, not necessarily heirs to the throne - but have any royals, British or other royal families been alive to see the birth of a great-great grandchild?

Queen Mary (of Teck) was alive when Charles was born and maybe Anne too.

Queen Victoria was alive for great grand children IIRC.

LaRae

:previous: Yes, Mary was alive when Anne was born. Mary died shortly before her granddaughter was crowned. She died March 1953, Anne was born in August 1950.

Queen Victoria lived to see a number of great grandchildren.

In Sweden you had four generations as well. When King Carl Gustaf was born, his Great-grandfather King Gustav V was alive and on the throne when he was born.

But the question was about great-great grandparents. Harder to find as people lived shorter lives. Have to look to women likely. Even among some of the royals in the past century who lived to be a hundred or so, most only lived to see great-grandchildren.

In the UK the two oldest royals were the Queen Mother and Princess Alice. Even if Alice was alive today, she wouldn't yet be a great-great grandmother, as her eldest great grandchild is 10. The queen mum's first great-great grandchild, Savannah, was born 8 years after she died.

Not royal but still noble. Countess Luise of Leiningen-Heidensheim (1729-1818) married to Prince Georg of Hesse-Darmstadt lived to became several times great-great-grantmother through her daughter.
her daughter Friederike married Grand Duke Karl of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Friederike's daughter Charlotte married Duke Friedrich of Saxe-Hildburghausen
Charlotte's daughter Therese married in 1810 the future King Ludwig I. of Bavaria
when her great-grandmother passed away in 1818 Therese had 4 children among them the future King Maximlian II. of Bavaria.
Also Charlotte's daughter Charlotte married to Prince Paul of Württemberg had several children in 1818.

Last edited:
Living to see great-great grandchildren would be pretty rare even today, wouldn't it, when there are plenty of people living to 100 and over? In past centuries it would be even rarer.

If by some chance a Royal female lived to be eighty and had her first child at eighteen, that child and then eldest grandchild and so on would have to be bearing live offspring for the first time at seventeen or eighteen to get to five generations in that one person's lifetime. It could be done, but considering the maternal and infant mortality in the past you would have to be very lucky.

Last edited:
Another example, still alive, is Fürstin Marianne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, née Baroness Mayr von Melnhof.

She was born in 1919.
In 1942 she became mother of Princess Yvonne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, later married to Count Alfons von Coreth zu Coredo.
In 1963 she became grandmother of Count Constantin von Coreth zu Coredo.
In 1987 she became great-grandmother of Countess Gioia von Coreth zu Coredo, later married to Leopold Schmid von Schmidsfelden.
In 2011 she became great-great-grandmother of Moritz Schmid von Schmidsfelden and in 2014 of Alma Schmid von Schmidsfelden.
She is still alive and kicking aged 98 (here is an article with pictures of her last May).

Stanislaus I Leszczyński (born 1677, died 1766), King of Poland-Lithuania and Duke of Lorraine, was a living great-great-grandfather. His great-great-granddaughters were Archduchesses Maria Theresa (born 1762, died 1770) and Maria Christina (born and died 1763) of Austria.

He was their great-grandfather in a direct female line.

Stanislaus I of Poland-Lithuania → Marie Leszczyńska, Queen of France and Navarre → Louise Élisabeth of France, Duchess of Parma → Isabella of Parma, Crown Princess of Hungary and Bohemia, Hereditary Archduchess of Austria → Archduchesses Maria Theresa and Maria Christina of Austria.

King Malabo II of the Bubi Kingdom in Equatorial Guinea (who, dying at the age of 105, is, I believe, the longest-living reliably dated monarch in history) apparently had 17 living great-great-grandchildren at the time of his death.

Another example, still alive, is Fürstin Marianne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, née Baroness Mayr von Melnhof.

She was born in 1919.
In 1942 she became mother of Princess Yvonne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, later married to Count Alfons von Coreth zu Coredo.
In 1963 she became grandmother of Count Constantin von Coreth zu Coredo.
In 1987 she became great-grandmother of Countess Gioia von Coreth zu Coredo, later married to Leopold Schmid von Schmidsfelden.
In 2011 she became great-great-grandmother of Moritz Schmid von Schmidsfelden and in 2014 of Alma Schmid von Schmidsfelden.
She is still alive and kicking aged 98 (here is an article with pictures of her last May).

As far as I know, she turned 100 yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom