Are Royal Events Only For The Royal Family?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonHenry

Commoner
City
Reno, Nevada
Country
United States
IM curious who decides who is invited to royal events.. Is it just members of the royal families who are invited to the various services and events held for the Royalty.

Im from Reno, Nevada and have been interested in the British Royal Family ever since the Queen visited my town in the 90s.

It would depend on the event. In some events Royals, celebs and regular people are included. I would guess in most cases, the public isn't invited or if they are, those chosen are probably carefully screened.

I remember an event that Princess Diana attended back in the mid 1980's. (it was a church service I believe at Washington National Cathederal) The public were invited, I'm not sure if it was first come or first serve). Not really sure though if this was actually a royal event or not.

Many people were excited to say that they attended church with Princess Diana. If I lived in Washington D.C. and was able to go, I would have as well.

OH I would have loved to have gone to church with Lady Di.. Its very rare that any Royalty ever visits my neck of the woods (the Midwest) but if they did I would sure love the opportunity to attend a service. The Royal family's latest event (Will and Kate's wedding) service was so magical, I had goosebumps for the entire 4 hours.
If the Royal family opens their events and services to commoners, I'd jump at the opportunity to attend.

When the family walks to church, like they did a few weeks ago, are those just normal people who have come out to see them?

Yes - anyone who wants to can go to Sandringham and see the family walk to church. They are subjected to security searches of course but that is all. They also play the service to the crowd outside.

As for official events - normally you would have to be invited. There are other occasions when you can apply for tickets e.g. Trooping the Colour - only because there are a limited number of seats available but anyone can apply and it is luck of the draw.

Things like weddings etc are invitation only. The upcoming Jubilee Concert will also be open to the public but there will be way more applications than places so again it will be the luck of the draw.

I find this all so interesting and great to know. Although I will never be able to attend a royal event only open to members, I can still watch from the comfort of my home on the BBC.

As far as I know here in Sweden the public are welcome to events such as the National Day celebrations at Skansen in Stockholm and to the festivities at Victoria's birthday on Öland.

I would speculate that the Royal members invited to such events are the innercircle who are the movers and shakers in the Royalty. If there were royal members not invited to the events and services they would be a lower tiered royalty. Does that make sense?

But how that is decided must have something to do with lineage and geneology. If there are royal members who get invited to the events and services only privy to the upper-tiered royalty would the others feel shunned if they didnt appear?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they are unless you've been knighted by the queen or are part of a nobel family I.e. The royal wedding?

I heard that the Throne Room was turned into a nightclub for the royal wedding. Anyone have more details on that and what royal family members were invited to such an event.

Do you think the royal family members would open events to non members of the royal family if they were willing to pay entrance?

Since it was a nightclub, most likely the younger royal family members and the friends of Prince William and Katherine as well as cousins of Prince William would be invited to this event along with some of the older royals. (example, The Queen, Prince Charles, etc).

The older royals would probably made an appearance (come by, say hello) and then leave. Or Maybe they didn't attend the event at all having attending other events.

Interesting question RonHenry. They might do this but then there probably would be questions over this. If they charged entrance to an event, who would get the money. Would it go to charity or some non-profit organization? If the royals pocketed the money for themselves, there would be an uproar. I doubt that they would do that of course.

Another thing would be security issues. Security would want to know who is coming into the event as I don't think you would want just anyone attending a royal event with royals especially if they are going to rub shoulders. I would think they would want to make sure that the person coming in isn't a criminal and isn't someone who came into the event for the sole purpose of harrassing the royals or others attending.

Many answers

Thanks for all the answers to my questions. I know they must sound so silly but Im just happy to have found this forum. For many years I have wondered about the Royalty, dreaming I could be a member at their events.
Being born and raised in Reno I dont normally get to talk about the Royal families or how they interact with us commoners.
For those who have had the opportunity to live this life is on a different level than us with a completely different set of rules to guide them through life. If I were one of the royal family members I would try to go to as many events as possible.

Do you think the royal family members would open events to non members of the royal family if they were willing to pay entrance?

Are you talking about events like weddings, wedding receptions, jubilee receptions, all of which are essentially private family events? If that is the case, then no I do not believe you can buy your way in although I am sure many have tried.

I went to an event that the Queen attended. In that case, it was held at a community center. There were a certain number of seats available. So, if you wanted to go, you'd put your name and address on a list. Then, when the "invitations" were available, you'd pick yours up and then show up at the event at a particular time. On another occasion, I saw the Queen at an informal walk-about. In a case like that, you just show up in the crowd where the royal person is appearing and try to get a good position. On both occasions, I was struck by HM's friendliness and interest in the people she met and by Prince Philip's energy. They're remarkable people.

For those who have had the opportunity to live this life is on a different level than us with a completely different set of rules to guide them through life. If I were one of the royal family members I would try to go to as many events as possible.
I don't know if you mean royal events on a grander scale (where members of several royal families are invited) or royal events within a royal family, do remember that in most cases there are a limited number of seats/how many people can be invited unless it's an outdoor event.

Take for example the wedding of crown princess Victoria, invitations were sent to all the royal families in Europe, Middle East and Asia but we don't know how many persons from each family was invited. I would guess when it comes to members of the Bernadotte family (the king's sisters with families, aunts, cousins etc) most of the family membes were invited, as well as the members of the Danish and Norwegian royal families, and also the Dutch royal family got several invitations due to their close connections to the Swedish royal family, while royal families that are not as closely related to/friends with the Swedish royal family the invitations was only to the head of the family and/or crown prince with spouse. Even if you are a royal you have to get an invitation to an event, you can't just turn up and expect to be welcomed as a guest.

How about Trooping the Colour?
To go to watch Trooping the Colour you apply to the appropriate office (having never been in London when it was on I have never tried to do so so don't know exactly) by a closing date each year. They then hold a lottery and the lucky people get a seat and the others have to try again.

I heard that the Throne Room was turned into a nightclub for the royal wedding. Anyone have more details on that and what royal family members were invited to such an event.
Basically all of William's royal cousins, aunts, uncles etc were invited. We know the Queen and Duke left before it started to go to Windsor for the evening but we also have heard that Princess Anne stayed until the very end.

I actually think it was the Ballroom not the Throne Room, which is a lot smaller.

I would speculate that the Royal members invited to such events are the innercircle who are the movers and shakers in the Royalty. If there were royal members not invited to the events and services they would be a lower tiered royalty. Does that make sense?
From a strictly British perspective you may find this thread interesting: Members of the Royal Family.

Royal members excluded from events and services?

I don't know if you mean royal events on a grander scale (where members of several royal families are invited) or royal events within a royal family, do remember that in most cases there are a limited number of seats/how many people can be invited unless it's an outdoor event.

Take for example the wedding of crown princess Victoria, invitations were sent to all the royal families in Europe, Middle East and Asia but we don't know how many persons from each family was invited. I would guess when it comes to members of the Bernadotte family (the king's sisters with families, aunts, cousins etc) most of the family membes were invited, as well as the members of the Danish and Norwegian royal families, and also the Dutch royal family got several invitations due to their close connections to the Swedish royal family, while royal families that are not as closely related to/friends with the Swedish royal family the invitations was only to the head of the family and/or crown prince with spouse. Even if you are a royal you have to get an invitation to an event, you can't just turn up and expect to be welcomed as a guest.

that seems weird that the other families would exclude members of other royal families from attending events .. I mean they are all cousins, no?

Well they are all cousins but as the generations move on they are becoming more distant cousins, at least as far as the BRF are related to the continental royals. In situations like invitations to British Royal Weddings the Queen seems to invite most members of her own extended British royal family and to send invitations to foreign monarchs. Those monarchs then determine whether they wish to attend in person or to be represented by members of their family.

Think of this way...I have several second and third cousins..but I am not close to all of them...so I would invite only the ones that I have a true relationship with. I would think its the same way for some royal families.

that seems weird that the other families would exclude members of other royal families from attending events .. I mean they are all cousins, no?
To an event such as a royal wedding or christening there are also a number of dignitaries from their own country that are to be invited and I would guess that most couples want to invite their close friends, and as there usually are only a limited number of seats available so I think it's more likely that people invite their friends (and perhaps also friends to their parents) they are close to and see almost daily, rather than a royal (distant) cousin they may have only met a couple of times.

Ah i guess that makes sense. I wouldnt go out and invite every Henry to my family's event so why would the royal families extend an invitiation to those they arent exactly close with. Royal members of various families wouldnt go to the same events and services just like my distant relatives wouldnt go to mine.

Royal Members Events and Services

I have another question - is there a person in the family who arranges all the services or do they have a dedicated staff?

Invitations in the UK on behalf of The Queen are sent out by the Lord Chamberlains Office

Last edited:
In Britain the Earl Marshal, one of the Great Officers of State, is responsible for the organisation of State funerals and Coronations.
It is an hereditary post held by the (Roman Catholic) Dukes of Norfolk.

> further info: Earl Marshal

Lots of knowledge..

I must say I am impressed by the level of knowledge in this thread about the Royal Families.
Theres another question I have that maybe you guys could help me with: How did they become royalty in the first place?

Monarchy is basically the oldest form of government. Royal families have come and gone over the centuries but todays monarchs came to the throne by hereditary right. Historically though war, advantageous marriages, political machinations could bring you to the throne , or in the case of the Bernadottes of Sweden by invitation of the then Swedish government and adoption of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte by the then reigning Swedish king.I am sure if you research the history of specific nations you could find much more detailed information.

I was referring to large events and services where members from other families were invited. how are they selected .. as to what member of which family gets to go to these events and services. Are there any royal member events or services happening in Reno, Nevada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom