What is the Queen's taste in Music?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark O

Commoner
City
Canvey Island
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, being a fan of Her Majesty I was wondering if anyone would know what her taste in Music is at all?........I'm sure the Queen would be familiar with CD's and have one in her official Bentley.......I'm intrigued to know what she likes to listen too!

Well, according to a BBC report last year about the Queen not being a culture vulture, she prefers songs from her generation and despite being patron of various orchestras has only ever accepted them on the condition that she doesn't have to attend. She isn't a fan of classical music and judging from her past involvement in choosing the Royal Variety Performance acts (she doesn't anymore) I think it's fair to say that she's a pop girl.

She looks more who likes to hear classically music or Jazz like her grandson, Prince William. :)

I have an inkling that she values the song "People Will Say We're In Love". ;)

Seriously, I have a feeling that she most enjoys the music that was popular during her youth....brings out a sense of nostalgia.

Anything but a royal fanfare I should think, she must be sick of them after all these years. :flowers:

Her Majesty The Queen is certainly eager to hear military music. Watch The Birthday Parade and see how she is tapping her feet practically all the time.

I once read that The Queen likes very much and dances at the sound of ABBA.

Her Majesty The Queen is certainly eager to hear military music. Watch The Birthday Parade and see how she is tapping her feet practically all the time.

... that may be becuase of her familiarity with the tune, having heard it a few times in her lifetime!

I read somewhere long ago that at the New Year's Eve party she always liked to dance to Bill Hailey's Rock Around the Clock. Of course I read this long ago and my memory may be playing with me!

Rock around the clock---this would be funny!

I read somewhere long ago that at the New Year's Eve party she always liked to dance to Bill Hailey's Rock Around the Clock. Of course I read this long ago and my memory may be playing with me!

Icould not imagine how her majesty dances to this music! I would like to see this!:lol::ROFLMAO::whistling::previous::rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:

and maybe she was obligated to attend because its a part of her job ,
im a fan of classical music but sometimes my friends invite me to a rock or rap concerts , i accepte always just for compliment !!!

Degree in Music?!

The website peerage.com states this - Elizabeth II Windsor, Queen of the United Kingdom graduated from London University, London, England, in 1946 with a Honorary Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.).5She was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Music (Mus.D.) by University of Wales, Wales, in 1949. This would be the first time I've heard this. I had no idea! What is her musical talent? I'm very interested to know...

I always heard that she loved Frank Sinatra's music. QE requested that he sing when she made a state visit to California (years ago.) Sintra sang and everyone said that QE was so happy to see him.

It's an honourary degree. She wouldn't have studied for it. Honourary degrees are a way of recognizing contributions that a person has made to a community or as a way of honouring their position. I'd think, though, that because she was a very upper-class young lady, Princess Elizabeth would have taken piano or singing or some other instrument as part of her general education at home. Princess Margaret played the piano and sang well, but I've not read anything about the Queen doing so.

The website peerage.com states this - Elizabeth II Windsor, Queen of the United Kingdom graduated from London University, London, England, in 1946 with a Honorary Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.).5She was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Music (Mus.D.) by University of Wales, Wales, in 1949. ..

Just a thought and of topic. Maybe the Queen's love for music is where Prince Charles gets his artistic tendency to art.

It is an interesting info from Lady Meg about the honorary degree the Queen has gotten. :flowers:

For some reason I would have guessed that she liked Classical Music. I can see that I'm wrong.

I have an inkling that she values the song "People Will Say We're In Love". ;)

Seriously, I have a feeling that she most enjoys the music that was popular during her youth....brings out a sense of nostalgia.

I believe it is true that her favourite song is indeed "People Will Say We're In Love".

HM has the reputation of having tastes that are more low-brow than, for example, Prince Charles'.

For some reason I would have guessed that she liked Classical Music. I can see that I'm wrong.

It's an honourary degree. She wouldn't have studied for it. Honourary degrees are a way of recognizing contributions that a person has made to a community or as a way of honouring their position. I'd think, though, that because she was a very upper-class young lady, Princess Elizabeth would have taken piano or singing or some other instrument as part of her general education at home. Princess Margaret played the piano and sang well, but I've not read anything about the Queen doing so.

I've seen pictures of Princess Margaret playing the piano. I have never seen HM doing anything so that was why I was astonished to see that she had an Honourary degree. Being American and only studying at American associated University's in London, had no idea what an honourary degree was. Thought it was an actual degree. Duh, Meg, duh! :)

I have a family friend who's a medical doctor but also has a string of honourary degrees after his name because of what's he's achieved during his long career. Doctor of Laws is a degree that's often given as an honourary one.

I've seen pictures of Princess Margaret playing the piano. I have never seen HM doing anything so that was why I was astonished to see that she had an Honourary degree. Being American and only studying at American associated University's in London, had no idea what an honourary degree was. Thought it was an actual degree. Duh, Meg, duh! :)

"People will say we're in love" is one of the best songs ever written, and Queen Elizabeth has chosen a great song. It is timeless, sweet and slightly humorous, has great lyric and melody, is romantic and sentimental - and fun. It has so many amazing covers, no one artist is associated with it. All great musicians should either be able to play it or have a comparable song.

It is listenable for a very long time, and there are so many versions, one can have it in the mix and never tire of it.

I totally believe it is her favorite song. It is also such a tribute to Prince Philip and her love for him...and so much more.

Years ago, I was at a concert of the legendary Canadian Brass. They had just returned from a tour of England and had played for the Queen. During the concert, they talked a little of the thrill of performing for her and of the special song they had arranged for the occasion. They said that they had contacted Buckingham Palace to find out her favourite piece of music and were told it was Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. They then combined it with their favourite piece of music- When the Saints Go Marching In. I can't say that those two pieces go together particularly well (although their arrangement was surprisingly good) but it might give more of a clue about the Queen's favourite music! They said she had been quite tickled with the piece and had mentioned her amusement to them when they spoke to her after the performance.

The Queen also like music performed on the bagpipe (well I assume she likes it as she is woken up everymorning with a bagpipe being played outside)!

I'm pretty sure I read a footnote in Gyles Brandreth's book on the marriage of the Queen and Prince Philip that she knew every song of a certain wartime singer... maybe it was Glenn Miller? Have to check that for accuracy!

I read several years back that she likes Katie Melua. Can't remember where, but from what I remember it sounded reasonably reliable.

Also, I love that her favourite piece is Handel's' Hallelujah Chorus.

Last edited:
I've always imagined the Queen to be quite traditional in her music tastes (e.g. classical music), but it's nice to hear that she likes more popular music too! I can imagine her liking music by the likes of Glen Miller, Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday and other artists of her generation. I wonder what modern music she is interested in? Possibly singers such as Jamie Cullum, Paloma Faith, Katie Melua?

On the subject of the Queen's interests, does anyone have any idea of what films she is known to have liked?

Back
Top Bottom