The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Lady View Post
I have an inkling that she values the song "People Will Say We're In Love".

Seriously, I have a feeling that she most enjoys the music that was popular during her youth....brings out a sense of nostalgia.
I believe it is true that her favourite song is indeed "People Will Say We're In Love".

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

HM has the reputation of having tastes that are more low-brow than, for example, Prince Charles'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
For some reason I would have guessed that she liked Classical Music. I can see that I'm wrong.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It's an honourary degree. She wouldn't have studied for it. Honourary degrees are a way of recognizing contributions that a person has made to a community or as a way of honouring their position. I'd think, though, that because she was a very upper-class young lady, Princess Elizabeth would have taken piano or singing or some other instrument as part of her general education at home. Princess Margaret played the piano and sang well, but I've not read anything about the Queen doing so.
I've seen pictures of Princess Margaret playing the piano. I have never seen HM doing anything so that was why I was astonished to see that she had an Honourary degree. Being American and only studying at American associated University's in London, had no idea what an honourary degree was. Thought it was an actual degree. Duh, Meg, duh!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a family friend who's a medical doctor but also has a string of honourary degrees after his name because of what's he's achieved during his long career. Doctor of Laws is a degree that's often given as an honourary one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
I've seen pictures of Princess Margaret playing the piano. I have never seen HM doing anything so that was why I was astonished to see that she had an Honourary degree. Being American and only studying at American associated University's in London, had no idea what an honourary degree was. Thought it was an actual degree. Duh, Meg, duh!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

"People will say we're in love" is one of the best songs ever written, and Queen Elizabeth has chosen a great song. It is timeless, sweet and slightly humorous, has great lyric and melody, is romantic and sentimental - and fun. It has so many amazing covers, no one artist is associated with it. All great musicians should either be able to play it or have a comparable song.

It is listenable for a very long time, and there are so many versions, one can have it in the mix and never tire of it.

I totally believe it is her favorite song. It is also such a tribute to Prince Philip and her love for him...and so much more.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Nobility

Years ago, I was at a concert of the legendary Canadian Brass. They had just returned from a tour of England and had played for the Queen. During the concert, they talked a little of the thrill of performing for her and of the special song they had arranged for the occasion. They said that they had contacted Buckingham Palace to find out her favourite piece of music and were told it was Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. They then combined it with their favourite piece of music- When the Saints Go Marching In. I can't say that those two pieces go together particularly well (although their arrangement was surprisingly good) but it might give more of a clue about the Queen's favourite music! They said she had been quite tickled with the piece and had mentioned her amusement to them when they spoke to her after the performance.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

The Queen also like music performed on the bagpipe (well I assume she likes it as she is woken up everymorning with a bagpipe being played outside)!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Gentry

I'm pretty sure I read a footnote in Gyles Brandreth's book on the marriage of the Queen and Prince Philip that she knew every song of a certain wartime singer... maybe it was Glenn Miller? Have to check that for accuracy!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Commoner

I read several years back that she likes Katie Melua. Can't remember where, but from what I remember it sounded reasonably reliable.

Also, I love that her favourite piece is Handel's' Hallelujah Chorus.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Commoner

I've always imagined the Queen to be quite traditional in her music tastes (e.g. classical music), but it's nice to hear that she likes more popular music too! I can imagine her liking music by the likes of Glen Miller, Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday and other artists of her generation. I wonder what modern music she is interested in? Possibly singers such as Jamie Cullum, Paloma Faith, Katie Melua?

On the subject of the Queen's interests, does anyone have any idea of what films she is known to have liked?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Basically, where classical music is concerned, her tastes are I belive what we would call 'light classical music. At Investitures etc the Bands of the Household Divisions play a selection of 'contemporary music' often from shows - 76 Trombones etc or 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' etc etc.

For her own legendary parties, American members of this forum can feel particularly proud, because her majesty chose to have Lester Lannin and his Orchestra fly over - her own choice of English Dance band was Joe Loss and his Orchestra - who played the sort of music Lester Lannin did, interspersed with the Swing music of the 1940's etc - Glenn Miller stuff.

And yes, she loves military music - she tapped her toes a good few times at the Tattoo at The Royal Windsor Horse Show.......I was watching.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm1952
I'm pretty sure I read a footnote in Gyles Brandreth's book on the marriage of the Queen and Prince Philip that she knew every song of a certain wartime singer... maybe it was Glenn Miller? Have to check that for accuracy!
It was George Formby not Glenn Miller! I just checked the book I mentioned above and Her Majesty supposedly knows all of George Formby's songs.

Tags
elizabeth ii, music, queen elizabeth ii